Bye Bye Field

You're right, the service to the front men was poor last night (with the exception of Jones' 2 assists :wink:) and Byefield didn't look too hot, but he's obviously got quality. Seeing as he's here for the next few weeks I think COG's gonna have to be patient.

I don't think there'll be too many complaints if he continues to put in super-sub performances like last night.

I thought Byfield started well but faded as the game went on......... maybe his fitness levels aren't all they could be at the moment. I have to say though that's the first time I've been impressed by COG in a Latics shirt, the loan spell seems to have done him a lot of good.

Agree word for word.

Byfield was sharp and lively early on, but as he realised the service was going to be poor he stopped running.

I think Alessandra holds the ball up better, although O'Grady did a heck of a job in his short stint last night.

Edited by opinions4u

How out of touch with opinion am I? I thought he did well last night, the ball stuck to him like glue and was a useful outlet, usually when we punt it up field it comes staight back but he won headers and controlled the balls that arrived about chest height.

I was surprised to see him come off but also pleased that CoG did well when he came on, who knows, perhaps there is mileage in a front line of Hughes and CoG?

One thing though, Hughes doesn't really seem to play in a partnership with any of the players he has played with a Latics, there is always a big gap between either him and Davies, or like last night him and Byfield, some strikers feed off each others knock downs by doesn't seem to be the case with Hughes. Seems pretty obvious Shez wants to play with a big man as he has tried Clarke, Ricketts, CoG, Omerod and now Byfield - not sure this is the way to go with Hughes?

How out of touch with opinion am I? I thought he did well last night, the ball stuck to him like glue and was a useful outlet, usually when we punt it up field it comes staight back but he won headers and controlled the balls that arrived about chest height.

I was surprised to see him come off but also pleased that CoG did well when he came on, who knows, perhaps there is mileage in a front line of Hughes and CoG?

One thing though, Hughes doesn't really seem to play in a partnership with any of the players he has played with a Latics, there is always a big gap between either him and Davies, or like last night him and Byfield, some strikers feed off each others knock downs by doesn't seem to be the case with Hughes. Seems pretty obvious Shez wants to play with a big man as he has tried Clarke, Ricketts, CoG, Omerod and now Byfield - not sure this is the way to go with Hughes?

Not that out of touch Tony. I thought he had a decent first half, but faded somewhat in the second half. Certainly think we looked dangerous with both him and Hughes up front, and that was without gettinhg regular decent balls to them!

The thing about Hughes, is he can create a goal from nothing by being there at the right time. Just watch his first goal again; any young striker learning the game will benefit from things like that. The way Hughes peeled away from the main pack in the middle was pure quality.

And I've never doubted O'Grady's ability. He's never going to get a sackful of goals for you, but he gives us great physical presence up front and most of the time the ball sticks with him, buying us time as we move forward. Someone else has said somewhere on the board, he'll be vital to bring on and protect leads or change games in the last 20 minutes.

On a team goals per game basis, Alessandra is the best partner for Hughes.

Even if Lewis isn't the one on the scoresheet that often.

one quick observation I've made of Byfield since he's joined is that he has good feet to trick the defender and make that yard to get away, he then doesn't seem to have the speed to take advantage he's created. Sometimes split seconds makes the difference. Hughsey isn't pacey in a sprint, but in and around the box he has that ability of quick of the mark in short distances.

1st of all Hughes and Lewi worked very well together for much of the early part of the season

2nd ... Big man Omerod and Byfield ??? confused me here ...

I think Shez wants Hughes to be in the box more, like for the winner last nite cos he's the most natural finisher we've had in years and years and doesnt need to be looking to hold it up as well as running the channels and popping up in the box ... COG had glue on his boots last nite - and although we all know he's gonna struggle to even make 10goals a season his hold up brought willing runners Whittaker and Taylor past the gameline, which really changed the complextion of the game which was seemingly dying of death ... COG has to start against Brighton IMO .... deserves a chance personally and the Hughes COG partnership also shud be given a run

Personally I'd play Whittaker as a narrow right mid ... give Lids a rest (he wont as he's getting 10days!!) and play Eards down the right from full back .... Maher and Allott looked okay for large parts of last nite, although i thought Shez got the personel of the sub wrong as Maher had his best BP hour for me.

I thought he was terrible and that bad that I sat there wishing for Ricketts to rejoin us, only once did his first touch not result in the ball moving 6 yards ahead of him.

But then it isn't easy playing alongside Lee Hughes.

The thing about Hughes, is he can create a goal from nothing by being there at the right time. Just watch his first goal again; any young striker learning the game will benefit from things like that. The way Hughes peeled away from the main pack in the middle was pure quality.

That was absolute quality. When Jones was moving to cross I saw Hughes move away and then - bang! He'd created space, could open his body to get the angle right, and his timing was perfect. It's that class that does set him apart from nearly all other strikers in this division.

BTW - the Walsall fans' website report says that both Hughes' goals were tap ins from "Three yards"!!

I thought he was terrible and that bad that I sat there wishing for Ricketts to rejoin us, only once did his first touch not result in the ball moving 6 yards ahead of him.

But then it isn't easy playing alongside Lee Hughes.

SC thats your worst effort ever of raising a rise from the board users. It's so obvious it's bad!, everyone knows now you wally.

One thing though, Hughes doesn't really seem to play in a partnership with any of the players he has played with a Latics, there is always a big gap between either him and Davies, or like last night him and Byfield, some strikers feed off each others knock downs by doesn't seem to be the case with Hughes.

Not so sure about that, I feel that Hughes/Allesandra look like a good partnership TBH, they seem to compliment each other very well.

You're joking, right? Allott had a stinker of a game.

I was saying that the partnership looked alright ... thought w/o the outlet to Ricketts ... M+A controlled much of the centre midfield battle - though that was down to Maher having a superb 60mins - and hence why i said the personel of the sub for Danny was all wrong, but we all know about Shez and wanting 9 Allott's so he's hardly gonna take the boy off is he !!!!

Agreed...i thought Maher was v unlucky to be brought off out of the two. As for byfield, only faded late in the game because the service into the front two was dire in parts of the 2nd half, with the support the same. COG was the ideal sub to come on, hold it up and allow time for the cavalry to arrive!

I thought Byfield did alright when he had the ball, showed a decent touch but my main gripe was how lazy he was without the ball. There was a couple of times when he was literally 2 yards from a Walsall player who had the ball, and instead of putting a foot in he kind of jogged and looked at the ball. At times he looked good, but i dont think he`s anything better than what weve got tbh.

What a load of rubbish. He broke up plenty of attacks, Maher and Allott were not helped by the centre halves not following Ricketts when he dropped deep making Allott and Maher overnumbered. Allott did a good shift last night although Maher was the better of the two.

Edited by ritchie82

What a load of rubbish. He broke up plenty of attacks, Maher and Allott were not helped by the centre halves not following Ricketts when he dropped deep making Allott and Maher overnumbered. Allott did a good shift last night although Maher was the better of the two.

A very good point, but, if either of the C/H had moved forward that would have created a gap for Ricketts to slide a ball through for Banana feet to balloon over the bar.

The ball stuck to him like glue??? Surely you jest? What's the one about every second touch being a tackle?

Not seen enough of him to make my final judgement but his first touch was dreadful last night.....

I know the forwards had poor service for a lot of the game but Byefield showed nothing to impress.

Can't think he will benefit the team anymore than OG or Lewi.

Think it is time to give OG a run and see what happens.

See OG scored a couple for the ressies tonight ,

Definitely worth a go from the start next game i think.