10 biggest derbies in the world

Typical Sky to put Madrid – Barca in there.

It just depends what you want. Blackburn – Burnley has all the hallmarks of a genuine classic if only they’d been in the same division recently, the Sheffield one is said to be an interesting affair, Portsmouth – Southampton, Cardiff – Swansea at a stretch. Am I only looking at ones with lots of potential for fighting? Possibly I am.

Typical Sky to put Madrid – Barca in there.

It just depends what you want. Blackburn – Burnley has all the hallmarks of a genuine classic if only they’d been in the same division recently, the Sheffield one is said to be an interesting affair, Portsmouth – Southampton, Cardiff – Swansea at a stretch. Am I only looking at ones with lots of potential for fighting? Possibly I am.

I guess not. Bristol's must be high up. Fighting, burning grounds down, etc.

I'm sure Montrose and Arbroath are questioning right now where their rightful position in the list is as someone with a vested interest in putting certain games in a list passes off this opinion of derbies as nigh on fact.

What is the defenition of the word 'derby'? Does it have to be local? or is it just hated rivals?

I'd place the Galatasaray v Fernabance higher, possibly in 2nd after El Superclasico (Boca v River), then the Old Firm in 3rd. I just don't think you get the venom, hatred and history on the level that these 3 have in anything else.

I think what comes into factor is how close in standards the two teams are too. For example, Pompey and Southampton is pretty fierce, but is a little diluted due to the fact that they don't play each other that often whereas the Old Firm, Superclasico etc. the two teams are always in the same division and is nailed on that they play eachother every year. Further still, the Argentina football authorities 'fix' it so that the likes of Boca and River never get relegated because the match is so big. In fact, there are a few bitter rivalries in Argentina which would even put Arsenal-Tottenham or Man United-Liverpool to shame such as Independiente v Racing.

I think one that is underestimated greatly because of the country's pretty low profile in world football is the greek derby of Olympiakos and Panathanikos. They hate eachother with a vengence.

This site is brilliant for everything about derbys all around the world, with a full calendar, many reviews of each one and a ranking system.

I'm sorry but on the Sky list they have Tottenham v. Arsenal and Liverpool v. Everton, what both of these games feature clubs who hate others more, Liverpool v. Man U is much more serious to the average red scouser (and no derby where you can see people supporting oppostion teams next to each other- as often features in Merseyside- is that firece). As for the N. London derby what about the rivalry between either club and Chelsea which some Tottenham fans argue is much more important to them. When Four Four Two published a list of similar a few years ago (in this country) Darlo v. Hartlepool featured and you can see why as they hate each other and have played at the same level for ages but because it is usually in the equivalent of the fourth division it doesn't get much coverage in a big picture. Derbies/rivalries in football can be related to success, a rivalry between various ethnic groups, a rivalry between various cities stemming back to a point in history (e.g. The Tyne-Wear derby which deserves a mention has its roots dating back to the English civil war, so way before the industrial revolution- which is part of the basis of the Liverpool v. Man U thing).

Derbies in football can be quite fluid as teams don't play each other that often or play at various levels (I'd imagine that the recent South Wales derby was particularly fierce not because they haven't played each other in ages but they haven't played each other at that level for a while). The good thing about Derbies is that loads of people have an opinion on which are especially fierce and I'd imagine we might have some of our Germanophile members arguing for various derbies in Germany (which hasn't been mentioned) or Bob might argue for some of the Israeli derbies which again haven't been mentioned. Almost every city in every country in the world has a derby of some sort and you'd find people arguing that theirs was fierce. For example when I was in Malawi, at a standard roughly equal to about the tenth tier of English football, there was a riot which had to be quelled by the army in one of their derbies, something I've never seen with a derby in this country.

Chonburi v SriRacha is possibly a unique derby. Both clubs play at the same stadium (for the time being), share a chairman and a board of directors. A lot of fans support both clubs and they were both conceived at Assumption College in SriRacha.

The players are often seen watching the other team when they don't have a game and even travel to away matches with the fans. The 2009 season will see the first league meeting of the two clubs. I can't wait.