Shocking statistics

I just looked at last seasons final table, and it was a revelation.

Swansea won promotion by drawing 11 and losing 8 games, but there's more and its even worse. Forest went up, and you'll not believe this hang on to yer hats folks, and they only went and drew 16 and lost 8 !! Bloomin' 'eck I thought if you drew games or lost them that was it, no chance of promotion.

Well that's been a rude awakening for me. It's crazy the worlds gone mad, you can lose and draw and STILL get promoted.

No can't get me head around this at all.

Whatever will they think of next?

Right I think I'll go and look at some other final league tables, just to see if its happened before, which is unlikely I know but its worth checking, I'll let y'all know what I find.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, good points Stipey.

It's also worth noting that this season the table appears to be a lot stronger. This time last season, we'd have been top by a point, whereas this season we're actually floundering in 6th with everyone frequently getting their knickers in a twist.

Funny old game, innit?

Edit: Can someone show me how to paste a table in here, where it doesn't look like I've randomly plastered numbers all over the page. It's not Numberwang!

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Swansea won promotion by drawing 11 and losing 8 games, but there's more and its even worse. Forest went up, and you'll not believe this hang on to yer hats folks, and they only went and drew 16 and lost 8 !! Bloomin' 'eck I thought if you drew games or lost them that was it, no chance of promotion.

Well that's been a rude awakening for me. It's crazy the worlds gone mad, you can lose and draw and STILL get promoted.

Right I think I'll go and look at some other final league tables, just to see if its happened before, which is unlikely I know but its worth checking, I'll let y'all know what I find.

All good points Stipey, though I can't blame people for getting frustrated about missing good opportunities to really turn up the heat on our promotion rivals. Saturday was definitley 2 dropped from my point of view.

The possibility of getting promoted despite failing to beat many of the division's mediocre or poor sides hardly inspires confidence in our ability to survive at a higher level.

But we play better against better teams. Surely if we go up we will be playing the better teams every week, we would be promoted to the prem by January.

I've been working on 85 points to get promoted - 25 wins 10 draws and 11 defeats. So far despite our crap form against some of the rubbing rags we are 2 points in front of where i expected us to be - due to our good form against the better teams. That 85 points total includes zero for Peterboro away so Saturday is a bonus, but also an expectation for 3 points from each of the 3 games following, i.e. Orient Crewe and Carlisle.

Funny old game indeed FMS

It is frustrating Dan to drop 2 points like that, but then it was great to snatch a point back off Leicester, which folks didn't seem too frustrated at.

However the Corp has got it bang on, we don't want promotion because we might not do very well in a higher division, we might not survive, but Corp imagine the misery that could be drawn from a survival battle, you'd be able wallow in it.

Funny old game indeed FMS

It is frustrating Dan to drop 2 points like that, but then it was great to snatch a point back off Leicester, which folks didn't seem too frustrated at.

However the Corp has got it bang on, we don't want promotion because we might not do very well in a higher division, we might not survive, but Corp imagine the misery that could be drawn from a survival battle, you'd be able wallow in it.

Where have I said 'we' don't want promotion?

Where have I said 'we' don't want promotion?

You didn't, you implied it and I thought I'd put the fact into words, like you do, as another correspondent on here recently wrote "that's you doing your quote-what-you-feel-like thing innit?"

Anyways you can't lose can you, miserable if we don't go up, miserable if we do in case it all goes wrong. Self flagellation is always sad to witness, or in your case is it just plain old corporal punishment?

That's about expectation though Stipey. i think most would have settled for a point from the Leicester match pre game. A bottom 4 or 5 team though, with 10 men?

I'd also add huge frustration at the lack of being able to beat teams like Yeovil at home as well.

I'd say those are the games which win you promotions - the bread and butter games I think FMS called them, and indeed the games which end up costing you in the long run should you fall short at the final hurdle (I can't help but be put in mind of the Notts County game where Heffernan scored late on from a needless free kick won by Caskey the jug ear :censored:, and Port Vale, both in the 02/03 play-off season, where those extra 4 points would have seen us into joint 2nd place).

Edited by danoafc

I quite clearly remember that we lost a number of games the year we won promotion to Division 1. In fact, I distinctly remember a 2-0 home defeat against Hull City who were relegated to Division 3 that same season. I remember expecting us to win this game; we didn't, we lost, but we were still allowed to play in a division higher the following season. Quite outrageous really.

You didn't, you implied it and I thought I'd put the fact into words, like you do, as another correspondent on here recently wrote "that's you doing your quote-what-you-feel-like thing innit?"

Anyways you can't lose can you, miserable if we don't go up, miserable if we do in case it all goes wrong. Self flagellation is always sad to witness, or in your case is it just plain old corporal punishment?

Has Mr Logic been drinking?

I quite clearly remember that we lost a number of games the year we won promotion to Division 1. In fact, I distinctly remember a 2-0 home defeat against Hull City who were relegated to Division 3 that same season. I remember expecting us to win this game; we didn't, we lost, but we were still allowed to play in a division higher the following season. Quite outrageous really.

Eighteen years ago we won promotion after losing to a side who went on to be relegated. It quite clearly follows that we will be promoted this season due to drawing some games with mediocre sides.

That's about expectation though Stipey. i think most would have settled for a point from the Leicester match pre game. A bottom 4 or 5 team though, with 10 men?

I'd also add huge frustration at the lack of being able to beat teams like Yeovil at home as well.

I'd say those are the games which win you promotions - the bread and butter games I think FMS called them, and indeed the games which end up costing you in the long run should you fall short at the final hurdle (I can't help but be put in mind of the Notts County game where Heffernan scored late on from a needless free kick won by Caskey the jug ear :censored:, and Port Vale, both in the 02/03 play-off season, where those extra 4 points would have seen us into joint 2nd place).

The Chron's Michael Yarwood makes the most relevant point about Saturday's game:

'Come the end of the campaign, Athletic may live to regret such results.

What makes it even more frustrating, and annoying, is that the aberrations on home soil have invariably been against teams in the bottom-half of the table.

The likes of Huddersfield, Yeovil and Brighton have all made their mark at Boundary Park, and but for those slip ups, John Sheridan’s side would today be occupying top spot.'

Edited by Corporal_Jones

where are you going with this corp?weve got 35 points an 27 games left mate keep your chin up we,ll get there its our turn this season.but some of the current squad wont be there next season if we go up as im sure you already know,i was at the cup match at turf moor an you could see the gap from us an the championship, thats where flemming stephens lee smalley lewy taylor lomax will come more into the future next year if we go up.these are exciting times for us fans,talking to some albion fans an there chuffed to bits with a draw as were a top side in their eyes, cheer up mate

The Chron's Michael Yarwood makes the most relevant point about Saturday's game:

'Come the end of the campaign, Athletic may live to regret such results.

What makes it even more frustrating, and annoying, is that the aberrations on home soil have invariably been against teams in the bottom-half of the table.

The likes of Huddersfield, Yeovil and Brighton have all made their mark at Boundary Park, and but for those slip ups, John Sheridan’s side would today be occupying top spot.'

I'm afraid that wasn't Michael Yarwood. And I'm afraid we won't be seeing his match reports again either.

No, that was Tony Bugby. Much more in tune with the misery and downright pessimism of Oldham folk...

where are you going with this corp?weve got 35 points an 27 games left mate keep your chin up we,ll get there its our turn this season.but some of the current squad wont be there next season if we go up as im sure you already know,i was at the cup match at turf moor an you could see the gap from us an the championship, thats where flemming stephens lee smalley lewy taylor lomax will come more into the future next year if we go up.these are exciting times for us fans,talking to some albion fans an there chuffed to bits with a draw as were a top side in their eyes, cheer up mate

I share Michael Yarwood's above concerns, that's all.

I'm afraid that wasn't Michael Yarwood. And I'm afraid we won't be seeing his match reports again either.

No, that was Tony Bugby. Much more in tune with the misery and downright pessimism of Oldham folk...

Ah. Never looked. He's right though.

What's happened to Yarwood?

Edited by Corporal_Jones