Ernie Flag Shock

To be honest oafc0000, not intending to cause any offence here, but I thought you were much older than 28. I wouldn't be contacting the Spanish Embassy either though to be honest, but you never know, every little helps.

The fact people thought I was older I take as a compliment :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"went to malaga...crap..went back to sevilla..lass took pity and she and her mates are taking me out!"

respecto!

If our man (still) in Seville is going to watch a League match over there, ask him to look out for the stolen Flag in amongst the Ultras. If it is spotted, arrangements could probably be made through Sevilla FC for the Flag to be recovered at a future match and returned to OAFC, to avoid a diplomatic incident.

Also those of you who watch Spanish football on TV, please look out for the Flag.

If our man (still) in Seville is going to watch a League match over there, ask him to look out for the stolen Flag in amongst the Ultras. If it is spotted, arrangements could probably be made through Sevilla FC for the Flag to be recovered at a future match and returned to OAFC, to avoid a diplomatic incident.

Also those of you who watch Spanish football on TV, please look out for the Flag.

Diego

In all honestly the flag will either now have been burnt or binned by now, the Spanish lads will not have kept hold of it due to its colours ..

That Flag maybe now gone but like a Pheonix the new one will rise from the ashes :grin:

Diego, i thought you'd have got yer namesake on the case be now.

Last week I wrote to my Latics fan contact in Spain, asking him to contact Diego for any assistance he can give in publicising the theft in Spain. I have not had a reply, so I have emailed Diego direct.

If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.

I've also asked the Football Supporters' Federation to use its Spanish contacts to publicise the theft, in the hope of recovering the Flag, in view of its special sentimental value to fans and Ernie's family.

Terry have you spoken to Mark about this ? I have spoken to 2 people today from the FSF ...the incident is going to be added to the FA report for the game.

There are many reasons why we cant have the incident advertised nationally. The age of the lads who stole the flag were 21-25 yrs old and the likelyhood that the flag is still in one piece is very very very slight so Ive been told by a Spanish adviser.

Its a good idea to ask for help for information, but we cant go OTT

I've written to Sevilla FC in Spanish....

It won't do any harm and you never know......

Sevilla FC has replied:

Dear Sirs:

Really it´s a pity all that you tell us in your mail. We can inform to you that if any case we know anything about the flag, we try to help to recuperate it.

SFC

Press departament

Terry have you spoken to Mark about this ? I have spoken to 2 people today from the FSF ...the incident is going to be added to the FA report for the game.

There are many reasons why we cant have the incident advertised nationally. The age of the lads who stole the flag were 21-25 yrs old and the likelyhood that the flag is still in one piece is very very very slight so Ive been told by a Spanish adviser.

Its a good idea to ask for help for information, but we cant go OTT

Im confused and interested in the reasons why this cant go national ?

Im confused and interested in the reasons why this cant go national ?

im guessing its something to do with the relationship between the two countries...there is no love lost between us and spain regarding football...last time we played we had the racist chanting and abuse from spanish fans towards our black players..hence why the fixture this time round was moved...

probably the english fa and there spanish counterparts would like everybody to think and believe that this game went ahead without a hitch,no trouble etc etc...

this going national would again put the spanish in a bad light of not being able to control there fans and more than likely result in some form of reprimand and punishment.

I have submitted a statement to the FSF this morning and this will be included in the report that is delivered to both FIFA and UEFA.

This incident will not disappear for the Spanish FA but it needs to be handled through the correct channels.

The FSF report is used when making future decisions regarding the suitability of countries, cities and grounds to hold important football matches.

Do you honestly think the Spanish fans knew of the sentimental value the flag had to some people?

If they have Googled to find out who the 'Ernie Cooksey' is on their England 'trophy', they will be led to the ernieflag site, from which even the most callous of thieves cannot fail to note the sentimental value of the Flag.

If English hooligans had stolen a flag designed in memory of a dead Spanish football hero, I suspect that it would have become an international incident. The Spanish public would have been marching in the streets, with questions asked in our Parliament and the English media calling on the thieves to do the honourable thing and return the flag.

If they have Googled to find out who the 'Ernie Cooksey' is on their England 'trophy', they will be led to the ernieflag site, from which even the most callous of thieves cannot fail to note the sentimental value of the Flag.

If English hooligans had stolen a flag designed in memory of a dead Spanish football hero, I suspect that it would have become an international incident. The Spanish public would have been marching in the streets, with questions asked in our Parliament and the English media calling on the thieves to do the honourable thing and return the flag.

Why would a Spanish fan google "Ernie Cooksey" though??

I'm not for one minute condoning what they've done, or defending them. I just think that maybe they don't understand and took the flag because it was a St George's flag.

*I put my tin hat on in anticipation for the abuse I am likely to get *

Why would a Spanish fan google "Ernie Cooksey" though??

I'm not for one minute condoning what they've done, or defending them. I just think that maybe they don't understand and took the flag because it was a St George's flag.

*I put my tin hat on in anticipation for the abuse I am likely to get *

Your right it was the only reason they took the flag ! They would have no idea what it was for or what the name said

Your right it was the only reason they took the flag ! They would have no idea what it was for or what the name said

That's my point, Rich. What they have done isn't sick and perverse as such. They have no idea who Ernie Cooksey is and, to be honest, why would they? None of us would be any the wiser if a Spanish player, who had spent his Career in the bottom two divisions or Non League had died. And if we saw a flag with said Spanish players name on, we would still have no idea who he was.