Ernie Flag Shock

Action in numbers I feel. The more that people make the authorities aware of the significance of the flag the better in my opinion, they aren't going to get "El Flying Squad" in on the case, and one would be daft to suggest it - but awareness and visibility of the situation is key.

As for divine intervention :laught16: we'll be waiting a long time for that one...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Action in numbers I feel. The more that people make the authorities aware of the significance of the flag the better in my opinion, they aren't going to get "El Flying Squad" in on the case, and one would be daft to suggest it - but awareness and visibility of the situation is key.

As for divine intervention :laught16: we'll be waiting a long time for that one...

Apparently Interpol are on the case :)

If someone wants to set up a fund for a new flag I will defo contribute... Bucket collection on Saturday maybe ?

All,

WardleLatic has informed me this evening that, shockingly, the Ernie Flag has been stolen whilst honouring Ernie at the Spain-England game in Seville.

The travelling fans were set-upon by 8 Spanish thugs whilst having their photographs taken in front of the stadium, after the game.

Thankfully no-one was seriously hurt during the attack, but sadly the flag was taken.

WardleLatic is determined to have a bigger and better ready right away, however there is still a glimmer of hope that involving the media first thing tomorrow might see the flag returned.

If anyone has any resources they feel might improve those slimmest of odds please let me know via PM.

Regards,

Ackey

sorry my last post seems to be lost in cyber space. Unfortunately one fan was hurt though not seriously. Hope we can get a new flag as soon as possible. I am one of the fans who purchased the original. Janed

Yeah because thats logical... Its been reported to the local police / media... What more is worth doing... :)

wtf ?? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Report it to the police... and go home and pray ? :)

How old are you by the way ?

Uh oh he will be asking what your job is aswell next!

We should just upload CVs

Uh oh he will be asking what your job is aswell next!

We should just upload CVs

I thought someone suggesting contacting the embassy over a missing flag could only have been suggested by a child. Derek proved that wrong :)

Pass at the CVs and pass at wanting to know his age... :)

I think good can always prevail over bad! and things are meant to be, ok, the flag has gone, almost certain for good, but!! the people of Oldham Athletic will replace it with a bigger and better flag (not saying the other wasnt good btw). a poster already stated they would donate to another one, someone (Wardle?) tell us where you will be saturday with a bucket and people will donate, Fingers up to the thugs who nicked it!! The OLDHAM ATHLETIC will never be defeated!

That is very sad.

Hopefully it is recovered.

Is there any chance that the spare square (either this one or if a new one is made) have the Factor 50 details on,and/r the pink4life website so further advertising what it is about.

Just to clarify the connection between the Ernie Flag and charities, and to explain why charities are not advertised on the Flag.

The purpose of the Flag and the Ernieflag site is to keep Ernie's story in the public eye, and raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma. The site gives readers the opportunity to find out more by clicking on the links to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie‘s, Dr Kershaw's and Cancer Research. We are not supporting any particular charity, but suggest that if readers of the site wish to make a contribution to any of the charities, they may so do via the links.

Although not supporting any particular charity, we see all three as charities doing exceptional work in their particular fields, as are other charities, including Link4Pink of which we have now become aware. We all have experienced cancer deaths among our families and friends and the respite care provided by Dr. Kershaw's. Now through Ernie we are all familiar with Malignant Melanoma, and, through the link to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s site, we are aware of what is being done towards obtaining effective research.

My signature on OWTB mentions specifically Factor 50. We also have Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s information fliers which we can give out when talking in the pub to fans of clubs we visit with Latics. The story is one of not only football but also health and human interest, and by providing information towards helping people to avoid the same fate as Ernie, we hope our efforts are worthwhile.

If any charities receive donations that is a bonus, but the aim of the Flag is to raise awareness.

I thought someone suggesting contacting the embassy over a missing flag could only have been suggested by a child. Derek proved that wrong :)

Pass at the CVs and pass at wanting to know his age... :)

Well I’d rather be seen as a youthful, open minded, positive and childlike rather than miserable, old and set in my ways.

:D

Just to clarify the connection between the Ernie Flag and charities, and to explain why charities are not advertised on the Flag.

The purpose of the Flag and the Ernieflag site is to keep Ernie's story in the public eye, and raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma. The site gives readers the opportunity to find out more by clicking on the links to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie‘s, Dr Kershaw's and Cancer Research. We are not supporting any particular charity, but suggest that if readers of the site wish to make a contribution to any of the charities, they may so do via the links.

Although not supporting any particular charity, we see all three as charities doing exceptional work in their particular fields, as are other charities, including Link4Pink of which we have now become aware. We all have experienced cancer deaths among our families and friends and the respite care provided by Dr. Kershaw's. Now through Ernie we are all familiar with Malignant Melanoma, and, through the link to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s site, we are aware of what is being done towards obtaining effective research.

My signature on OWTB mentions specifically Factor 50. We also have Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s information fliers which we can give out when talking in the pub to fans of clubs we visit with Latics. The story is one of not only football but also health and human interest, and by providing information towards helping people to avoid the same fate as Ernie, we hope our efforts are worthwhile.

If any charities receive donations that is a bonus, but the aim of the Flag is to raise awareness.

Thanks for the clarification Diego.

I hope my suggestion did not come across in any way critical BTW.

Just to let everyone know.... Everyone is ok, Mark W as a very sore Jaw from taking a wack off one of the lads. It happened so quickly it was hard to react in a way we might have done if it was at a normal away game.

Mark ran after the lads who he though had it but at the time of the standoff a litre bottle of beer was smash at us and shattered just at my feet while we tried to pull the flag back.

At the moment, im at an internet cafe in Madrid as our flight back is at 5pm, we have asked a couple of the other England fans that we know to keep an eye out for it.

Myself and Mark walked around the stadium before going in, hoping that the flad had been dropped of chucked in a bush but no such look.

We will get a bigger and better Flag and we will have it for Yeovil !!

Like someone said, everyone is ok .. some fans we not that lucky and lot of the young spanish lads had knifes... It was like Moscow all over again at times! One lad on the train beack to Madrid with us all had a knfe pulled twice on him ! Crazy !!!

Any help with links to any media for a return of the flag would be great ! We dont have that much times before we have to travel back.

I heard about this last night, but immediate thought was that it doesn't matter about the flag, it's more about a concept than the physical flag, and if this gets more exposure then ironically those bastards will have done the cause a favour. I'll see if I can get 5 Live to cover it, maybe do an interview or something.

I heard about this last night, but immediate thought was that it doesn't matter about the flag, it's more about a concept than the physical flag, and if this gets more exposure then ironically those bastards will have done the cause a favour. I'll see if I can get 5 Live to cover it, maybe do an interview or something.

Ackey had told Wardle that he would prepare something for the media, but as he was too busy this morning, he asked me to help. I've prepared a summary of what I know with links to the Flag site, pictures of the Flag, the victim, and happier trips to Croatia and Belarus in contrast.

I've sent it to Alan Hardy with a request for help in contacting the media. Alan has replied to say he is in London but will get onto it tomorow, by which time the lads will be back from Spain and can give interviews to the media, if required.

In the absence of the lads themselves, I think that's all I can do at the moment.

Ackey had told Wardle that he would prepare something for the media, but as he was too busy this morning, he asked me to help. I've prepared a summary of what I know with links to the Flag site, pictures of the Flag, the victim, and happier trips to Croatia and Belarus in contrast.

I've sent it to Alan Hardy with a request for help in contacting the media. Alan has replied to say he is in London but will get onto it tomorow, by which time the lads will be back from Spain and can give interviews to the media, if required.

In the absence of the lads themselves, I think that's all I can do at the moment.

Nice one Terry, cheers mate.