The death of the Big flag

I went into BP early Monday to get the big flag up .... it wasn't looking pretty, it was wet and smelly. Anyhow I decided to set it up ready. beofre the game the BP heath and Safety officer informed the Stewards (who stood next to it to make sure) that it could not be used on health grounds!!! So thats the end of the flag as I can't see anything being done about it (I have a problem of living in London)

P1010513.jpg

:help:

I went into BP early Monday to get the big flag up .... it wasn't looking pretty, it was wet and smelly. Anyhow I decided to set it up ready. beofre the game the BP heath and Safety officer informed the Stewards (who stood next to it to make sure) that it could not be used on health grounds!!! So thats the end of the flag as I can't see anything being done about it (I have a problem of living in London)

P1010513.jpg

:help:

Make a bigger one :whip:

You've done your best Mark, but the fact is that there is insufficient interest to get anything done about it. It's another part of the tradition of Latics that is now defunct. :disappointed:

It stinks and its far smaller than it was, get a new one.

how big was/is it? 25 footers cost £206.40 at Barmy Flags with the words Keep the Faith on, only I'm not sure how much it would cost with the badge on top

All i know is that it was massive!!!! The badge can be saved and sewn onto a a 25ft flag .... not sure if theres interest from people to raise the funds.

I can use the other bits for smaller banners, simple fact its to big to clean in its current size.

Thoughts

You've done your best Mark, but the fact is that there is insufficient interest to get anything done about it. It's another part of the tradition of Latics that is now defunct. :disappointed:

what tradition is that then?????

when was the last time the big flag came out...last playoffs????

you say there is lack of interest....it isnt like it is unfurled at every home game and raised aloft either going from left to right or top to bottom of the chaddy end,or the rre is it.

other clubs do this at every home game,making it tradition..but we dont....so how can it be a tradition...

shame about it really,but im sure if you contact the club,they would be accomodating regarding pinning it to the hoardings....after all im sure something was mentioned about getting local schools involved in making a mural to cover the blue boards....but nothing has happened with that.

you say there is lack of interest....it isnt like it is unfurled at every home game and raised aloft either going from left to right or top to bottom of the chaddy end,or the rre is it.

other clubs do this at every home game,making it tradition..but we dont....so how can it be a tradition...

shame about it really,but im sure if you contact the club,they would be accomodating regarding pinning it to the hoardings....after all im sure something was mentioned about getting local schools involved in making a mural to cover the blue boards....but nothing has happened with that.

I got it out most matches at the later end of the last play-off season. As I was in the Lookers last year I asked (on here) for people to get it out. Only managed to do it for Leeds myself. it's onlt appearance. Been all over this year, was hoping to move it to the RRE this year and with the the movement between the two sides I wasn't convienced that the flag would be moved around thr RRE and not left in the away section.

Like I said if people are willing to donate and get a new plain surfer made I'll be able to arrange, get the old one cut down and the badge attached (helps having a mother who sews for a living) to the new surfer.

I want it to be managable for certain aways.

Guest sheridans_world

I think the biggest issue of all is the size of the crest. There is only about a yard of material above and below the crest. It's huge. Mark and I were weighing up cutting it down when we got it out on Monday, there isnt a right lot you can do with it.

I got it out most matches at the later end of the last play-off season. As I was in the Lookers last year I asked (on here) for people to get it out. Only managed to do it for Leeds myself. it's onlt appearance. Been all over this year, was hoping to move it to the RRE this year and with the the movement between the two sides I wasn't convienced that the flag would be moved around thr RRE and not left in the away section.

Like I said if people are willing to donate and get a new plain surfer made I'll be able to arrange, get the old one cut down and the badge attached (helps having a mother who sews for a living) to the new surfer.

I want it to be managable for certain aways.

What size would it need to be to make ot manageable for aways? That old one weighs a frickin ton when it's folded up.

What size would it need to be to make ot manageable for aways? That old one weighs a frickin ton when it's folded up.

....add wet like on monday!!!!! I'm looking at material that weighs next to nothing, need to do some measurements next time I'm home.

But I suspect that it can loose quite a lot if its cut directly to the points of the badge and used as a flag rather than surfer..... I think over half the away matches will give enough space for it to be spread out and we we always find a space at BP each game.

It's a case of me getting time to come up at the moment. Hopefully before the dippers.

....add wet like on monday!!!!! I'm looking at material that weighs next to nothing, need to do some measurements next time I'm home.

But I suspect that it can loose quite a lot if its cut directly to the points of the badge and used as a flag rather than surfer..... I think over half the away matches will give enough space for it to be spread out and we we always find a space at BP each game.

It's a case of me getting time to come up at the moment. Hopefully before the dippers.

Can a blue border around the badge be saved? Say a one foot width all the way round, and then use it as a flag like you say?

Can a blue border around the badge be saved? Say a one foot width all the way round, and then use it as a flag like you say?

I think so, it's a case of getting time to get into the ground, lying it out and having a good luck. Parts of the crest are covered in white paint and the white background is filthy and needs a clean.

Retire the flag to the windsheld at the side of the RRE, I think It'd look great hanging there and the weather wouldn't effect it. As for a new flag, what is the scoreboard fund doing?

concerned it'll never get moved before the away fans move in

It was traditional to get the big flag out for TV games, and big games. Granted that was insufficient for people to master displaying it the right way up and pulled tight enough to be viewed properly.

Mark has asked on here for volunteers to help him by getting to BP early and getting the flag ready for unfurling. Then to leave BP and come back later to do the unfurling before the team came out. Then to miss part pf the first half while getting the flag stored away. The inconvenience was made worse by the fact that he preferred to be in the RRE rather than the Chaddy.

Despite Mark's repeated requests nobody (me included), or not enough, volunteered to help. Hence my post.

This is a real shame.

The flag was the biggest in the country when it was made (just bigger than the one Chelsea had done a few weeks before). I thought it was 50 foot but that doesn't sound big enough.

It was used just about every game when we first got it but it hasn't seen the light of day much in the last decade.

I seem to recall that it cost three grand but again, my memory could be failing me there.

At the end of the day it just proved too big to be manageable. A similar story to the England flag made for the World Cup in Germany that has never been used at any game because nowhere will give it a safety certificate.

Ps. Does anyone know what happened to the Earlys who ran the fundraising campaign for the Latics flag?

Edited by Latics & England

The flag was the biggest in the country when it was made (just bigger than the one Chelsea had done a few weeks before). I thought it was 50 foot but that doesn't sound big enough.

I've got the top bit from when it was cut down - it's about 80 feet long. I'm happy to help Mark if we can come up with a plan to use the crest on something else