The pitch is in very poor condition and it certainly doesn't help, but we have been comprehensively outplayed on several occasions at BP this season (Tranmere, Colchester, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil etc etc etc) and certainly cannot blame the pitch for all those poor performances and results.

Yes it is strange how the other team playing on the same pitch can cope!!

... and yes my favourate sport (by a mile) is League.

Joe also complained on LW, he said "every bounce is an off-break" he also reckoned the ball "took a kick" just as Hughes was about to shoot when he hit the post at 0-0.

On the + side he said that Cheltenham had an excellent pitch.

So lets see on Tues if our bobbly rugby pitch is partially ro blame for out recent demise.

I'm with Ghostofcecere as well.

The pitch is only part of the problem though. The groundsman must be pulling his hair out trying to maintain a decent playing surface. Professional soccer players should have a decent pitch to play on. A crap pitch also increases the chances of injuries.

Great that Cheltenham have a nice pitch but didn't MK Dons have a good one as well? Didn't help us there did it.

I think the matchday experience is spoilt by the current state of the playing surface. The standard of football will inevitably suffer because one touch football is virtually impossible with the ball bobbling all over the place. The rugby lot need to go and churn up someone else's pitch.

I think the matchday experience is spoilt by the current state of the playing surface. The standard of football will inevitably suffer because one touch football is virtually impossible with the ball bobbling all over the place.

So why has our home form suffered since well before the rugby season started?

The pitch is a factor towards (not the reason for) poor football and performances. I don't care if it's the same for both sides - we play on it every week and the type of football we seem to demand isn't catered for. We hit it long and the manager gets hounded out!

A poor pitch is a great leveller. It's our pitch yet it doesn't suit our players strengths. If Joe is right and the ball did bobble before Hughes hit the bar then it isn't unfair to say the pitch may well have cost us a play-off place.

The pitch is a factor towards (not the reason for) poor football and performances. I don't care if it's the same for both sides - we play on it every week and the type of football we seem to demand isn't catered for. We hit it long and the manager gets hounded out!

A poor pitch is a great leveller. It's our pitch yet it doesn't suit our players strengths. If Joe is right and the ball did bobble before Hughes hit the bar then it isn't unfair to say the pitch may well have cost us a play-off place.

I buy that.

But still think we could knock it around on the ground more than we do.

I thought it was common knowledge that the pitch needs to be completely re-laid and the skimming off the top layer like we do every season only does so much.

And it's nonsense that the rugby league ruins the pitch, rugby union does because of contested scrums which League does not have.

the owners of hull city /hull fc, spend much more money on maintaining that same bit of grass than tta do on our bit of mud

I agree. So it's not the games being played on it, it's the efficiency of the groundstaff and the cash being made available to support them.

I agree. So it's not the games being played on it, it's the efficiency of the groundstaff and the cash being made available to support them.

yes, definatley. i believe that as the current level of funding can not support usage other than the primary purpose, all additional usage should be terminated.

I'm sorry, somebody has to say it........... get the bloody egg chasers off the pitch for gods sake, yet again there is no grass left on it as soon as they start their season. I know it's an excuse but it's hard to play fast free flowing football when the ball is bobbling all over the place like that. I know it's the same for both teams, but it will suit some better than Latics, who do at try to get it down and play on occasion.

Is not Latics fault the 'yeds got screwed over by the council and didn't get a new stadium so TTA............. make them churn the pitch up somewhere else after this season :ranting:

I'd say the most prominent reason for our all round poor play is less to do with the state of the pitch and more to do with the fact that we've never even come close to replacing Richie Wellens. Had we had a player who could get his head up, use the ball and pick a pass in our midfield this season, we'd be considearbly closer to the top two, in my humble opinion.

yes, definatley. i believe that as the current level of funding can not support usage other than the primary purpose, all additional usage should be terminated.

I agree with all of that, but I'm still not getting why Oldham RL has had an impact on Latics' game. To my knowledge (and a Roughyed can change this as I'm not 100% sure) Oldham RL have played 3 times at BP in 2009. So due to the handful of home games the RL have played, Athletics' season has come off the tracks so badly that where once we we skirting around the automatics, we are now looking at 10th spot realistically?

I agree with all of that, but I'm still not getting why Oldham RL has had an impact on Latics' game. To my knowledge (and a Roughyed can change this as I'm not 100% sure) Oldham RL have played 3 times at BP in 2009. So due to the handful of home games the RL have played, Athletics' season has come off the tracks so badly that where once we we skirting around the automatics, we are now looking at 10th spot realistically?

That certainly hinders the argument of blaming British Bulldog. But the pitch is still a real mess and doesn't suit us.

So if not the Rugby then what is it?? Harsh winter?

I also accept that point as well, however if it's been churned up the RL lads before the start of 2009 and we were playing okay in the first half of the season - why didn't somebody bring the issue up then? Because it doesn't suit - it'll be stuck behind an ear for later. When the wheels come off - blame the RL , fine - it looks like we're frustrated and looking for someone to blame, but that responsibility does not rest on the Roughyeds, I'm sure...