TTA - WRONG to Sack Sheridan?

This topic is going round and round - We have to move forward and I accept that after the Tranmere game Joe must have thought ' Bloody hell theres a lot more work needed than I imadgined'

I think an hour in to the Tranmere game Royle must have known that the play-offs were beyond this team. Not because the quality isn't there, but because the necessary fight, determination, workrate and coherence has gone.

Its allready been said that the club couldnt afford to keep Hughes anyway.

We could have afforded to keep him until the end of the season. This decision wasn't about saving £7k in wages this season. It was a clear statement of "we're not going to make it as things stand, I need to change things now - it probably won't work to save this season, but it will give us a starting point for next".

Look around where we are and tell me the viable options open to us...Dont freakin spout on after three games that JR isnt going to cut the mustard without giving me for one a decent available prospect for Manager - Jim from Stockport Or keith from Rochdale ? thats all Ive heard so far thats one team thats not going up from our divsion and another thats going to do the playoffs (And not ness win them) in Div 2 -- Great !!!!!!

Gannon and Hill are excellent candidates. But, based on heritage and what I've heard OFF the pitch in the last 2 weeks, Royle is head and shoulders above them.

As has been said, Joe has inherited a team from Sheridan who are simply not good enough and thats the end of it. Sure there are players that he may be able to use but there are several that are just not good enough for div 1 football let alone the championship.

Actually, when you go through the players used this season, you can see that all of them are good enough for this level (I'd perhaps exclude Lomax from that). By "this level" I mean top 6 in League One. Individually there isn't a player out there who can't cut it. It is the team dynamics that have been all wrong. It started when we stopped the passing game of August / September and decided to lump it up to our 5'10" striker.

I do belive that JR is given the task to build his own team - And his CV shows that he can bring in players that will work his way. I am not going to go off on some romantic rant and say we can all look forward to a couple of good cup runs and instant promotion next season but, JR has the credentials, the experience and the contacts to be able to take apart the damage that has been done and to create a team that will run out on Boundary park with the desire to win - Something that has been lacking for a long while

I buy that.

Gutted he couldn't get the 7 points out of 9 we needed from his first three games. But that was a hell of an ask. Anyone saying "he's a failure" is an idiot.

I would actually like to know he's staying. But I understand why all parties would keep their options open at this stage.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the decision to get rid of shez was a correct one. We were not going to win promotion with him in charge.

Personally to give BFJ 9 games was silly; the chances are we are not going to win promotion unless we can win all our remaining games. If Joe does not stay on, then for me the season has been a waste and so was his second tenure. Simply because Joe has now had chance to assess the squad and look at what is lacking. If he does not stay then the new guy will to start this process in the summer.

For me the way forward is to get Joe signed up to a 3 year deal with the same conditions as Shez (promotion in that time) then he can work on bringing in the players and staff he wants for next season and the future. The potential is then there for us to hit the ground running and be promoted by Christmas

I really don't know what was/is the right thing when it comes to latics anymore.

Our team going out on the beers during a vital part of the season, we're seemingly unable to hold a lead, a ground with 3 sides, letting our best player out go on loan, and to one of our biggest rivals and no wins in 6. Another season in this division, with a reduced budget too, is almost too depressing to think about.

This is a fair summary of the club's position and reflects the general mood of the fans, to judge by attendances.

Another Summer clear out beckons and the merry-go-round starts again.

With exactly the same result more likely than not.

One way to guarantee the same result is to carry on repeating the same mistakes.

There are no better players available to a club like ours than those we've got, particularly on a reduced budget.

Sorry if Im well behind Mighty Bosh, but if you are not happy after 3 years and not prepaired to wait another year for promotion why dont you try supporting someone who will bounce up and down the leagues for the rest of time.

I have supported Oldham for 28 years now and have seen good bad and indifferent, so I say goodbye Joe Royle your job has been done, bring in someone who is not afraid of giving the youngsters there chance next year, and maybe we will get promotion with the kids, Hmmm Alan Hansen sometime in the 90s i belive

If you read my post then you didnt read it properly

1.I have said that Joe needs a 2/3 year contract > I also said that we may have to wait two seasons for his input to bear fruit, better that than go up with a side that is not equipped to compete at Championship level.

2.Why on Earth as a supporter of 28 years do you think that JR will not be nurturing his youngsters. I have supported latics for 40 years man and boy and recall that the first arguement he had with Stotty was about scrapping the youth team. He insisted that it was paramount to have a youth set up..

There were three particular attributes Joe was known for in his last stint at BP

* He cultivated a youth set up, allowing players at a young age to progess through the ranks, learn their trade and graduate to the 1st team squad.

* He generated revenue for this small club by selling on gifted youngsters to the top clubs when they had reached a time when both the player looked for a move and the club needed to cash in on the value of their home grown talent.

* He laid down a set of ground rules and terms of conduct that he enforced throughout his team, He learned from a master of discipline in Harry Catterick - Granted with players having more freedom of contract than he had in his own playing days and therefore more power, he still instilled an order and set of valued that he expected adhered to on and off the pitch.

If there is (Ive said this a trillion times) one particular attribute that JR has is his abillity to develope a complete set up and bring forth talent.

You need to read the posts better Andy...I am very very surprised that in 28 years of following Oldham you never looked at the team sheet and saw just how many players Joe brought through to the first teams squad from his youth team

And 28 years a supporter ..Ok well While I confess that I cant attend every game due to work and where I live I attend a fair few every season home and away and ave done for 40 years. I too have witnessed the highs and lows from sitting outside BP as a kid crying and waiting for news hoping my 4th Division team would not fold to the joys of walking down Wembley Way to see us in our first cup final.

Gannon may well be working with a sows ear at Stockport but Joe knows the farmyard here, knows many of the hands, and better still has a love and an affinity with the club.

Gannon - Well it will just be another job to him

JR IS the man to take us forward - Lets hope the appointment is confirmed before the end of the season

Edited by IsleOfWightBlue

Sorry if Im well behind Mighty Bosh, but if you are not happy after 3 years and not prepaired to wait another year for promotion why dont you try supporting someone who will bounce up and down the leagues for the rest of time.

Of course I'm willing to wait for promotion if it is guarenteed next year, but the pattern has emerged that we are OK to wait for promotion next year, then the next year, then the next year...

Promotion from this league is very difficult for a club of our size to achieve, so, when Royle took over with nine games to go when we were 1 point of the playoffs, which scenario do you think had the highest percentage chance of us achieving promotion, that one or the one where we start again from scratch and level with every other team in the league (like all of the last 12 years)??

Do you honestly believe that I (and I guess others who share my view) will stop supporting Latics due to not getting promotion this year? Of course not. But don't expect me to believe the view that we'll have a realistic chance of promotion, or even the playoffs, next season. Our best chance in recent years has gone without us putting up a good enough fight IMO and I definitely have valid reasons to be unhappy about that.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

I agree that passion on the park has been a major factor Bosh - In fact probably responsible for us still being where we are. I make no apology for being a hard nosed Royalist and if anyone can instill that passion on the pitch with his players then its the big man himself

Of course I'm willing to wait for promotion if it is guarenteed next year, but the pattern has emerged that we are OK to wait for promotion next year, then the next year, then the next year...

Promotion from this league is very difficult for a club of our size to achieve, so, when Royle took over with nine games to go when we were 1 point of the playoffs, which scenario do you think had the highest percentage chance of us achieving promotion, that one or the one where we start again from scratch and level with every other team in the league (like all of the last 12 years)??

Do you honestly believe that I (and I guess others who share my view) will stop supporting Latics due to not getting promotion this year? Of course not. But don't expect me to believe the view that we'll have a realistic chance of promotion, or even the playoffs, next season. Our best chance in recent years has gone without us putting up a good enough fight IMO and I definitely have valid reasons to be unhappy about that.

I think our last best chance in terms of players' ability, management style and fitness levels was when Dowie was in charge. What a pity that tw*t Moore sold us down the river. Ever since then, I've never really been convinced that we'd achieve promotion, even when Sheridan got us in the playoffs.

Just wanna point out...and if it's aleady been done, then so be it (too much usual crap from OAFC0000 to wade through all of this)....

But this got Shez sacked....

Football League One Hereford 5-0 Oldham 17-01-2009 - No comment needed

Football League One Oldham 3-1 Stockport 24-01-2009 - A win against a side that the bottom has fallen out and at 2-0 we did our best to let them back in

Football League One Scunthorpe 2-0 Oldham 27-01-2009 - Extremely poor display and 2 like for like substitutes with clueless tactics employed saw us lucky to only lose by 2

Football League One Oldham 0-0 Swindon 31-01-2009 - Another poor one...another 2 like for like subs, 10 mins to go and we've got a corner but yet 4 of our players around centre circle marking 2 of their players...joke tactics!

Football League One Leicester 0-0 Oldham 07-02-2009 - A good display against a top team...coz Shez didn't need to motivate them for this game

Football League One Oldham 2-1 Northamp' 14-02-2009 - We're 2-1 up and look comfortable and Shez takes off a striker, leaves us with 1 upfront and sat for 20mins under pressure thanks to a cock in goal which Shez got on panic loan a few wks earlier

Football League One Yeovil 2-2 Oldham 21-02-2009 - Wasn't there but a whipping team currently, but we let them off the hook

Football League One Oldham 0-2 Bristol R 24-02-2009 - Awful awful, awful, awful!!!

Football League One Millwall 2-3 Oldham 28-02-2009 - Saved his job for a few weeks...quelle surprise a good display against a top team...coz again, Shez didn't need to motivate them

Football League One Oldham 1-1 Leeds 02-03-2009 - Lucky to get a point in all honesty

Football League One Oldham 0-1 Colchester 07-03-2009 - Not quite as bad as B.Rovers but a poor game

Football League One MK Dons 6-2 Oldham 14-03-2009 - Again, Shez's ripping apart of the team and using :censored: loanees like Budtz and Hines led to this drubbing...

So much more to add over why Shez's time had come...no point to...

7,400+ bums on seats for Joes return...and the small hope he could turn around things from Shez's management, one that used :censored:loads of paper to cover numerous cracks.

Anyone predicting that it was "never going to work" is just a prick trying to con people that they're clever. Odds were it wasn't going to work...but the odds were improved more so than had we kept things as they were. Coz how they were was dire........At least we're not being embarrassed now like we were against MK, Colchester or in the national media!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

With exactly the same result more likely than not.

One way to guarantee the same result is to carry on repeating the same mistakes.

There are no better players available to a club like ours than those we've got, particularly on a reduced budget.

I think Sheridan's failing as a manager when we look back will be that he didn't make use of the young players who he had to use (slightly too early maybe) last year when they should have been a bonus this year in progressing perhaps a year ahead of their time. There were better players available for a cost of considerably less than what we must have spent on several crap loanees. Because we had them already.

I never wanted Shez and I was gearing up to call for his head in the summer as I agree with a lot of the thing pointed out above...

I do think however still think we should of given him the last 9 games... Then a fresh start in the summer... Instead of this messy half way house we now have..

Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards...

Fingers cross Joe can pull a miracle out of the bag!!!

Edited by oafc0000