TTA - WRONG to Sack Sheridan?

No I didn't say that. Circumstances caused Shez to be sacked with 9 games to go. I don't believe that TTA had thrown in the towel and neither had I. You can read other posts from me recently stating that the season isn't over, we've so many games etc to pull some points back, going into the last game anything is possible.

If we had Shez in charge now we would be no better off IMO. After Belle Vue, after MK Dons Shez's position became untenable, the final straw. Shez wasn't going to get anymore out of the squad and he wasn't going to be offered another deal so why keep him in?

I agree the move to bring Royle in was the last throw of the dice to get into the playoffs but it was also with the future in mind.

If Windass, Belle Vue and MK didn't happen Shez would still be in a job now but they did and they affected the club in a huge way.

Im TOTALLY confused....

Didnt the owners, Shez and the players all said it was nothing and didnt impact the team or Shezs postion ??

SO your calling the owners liars ?

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why sack shez?? its not achived anything they should have waited nntil the end of the season. We had only just dropped out the playoffs he could of got us back in. Now all we have is yet another pointless season!!!

Agreed...

They need 2 spend money n stop gettin loan players!!

Cant agree with this... They certainly backed Shez with money...

WHy should I ? People saying it was still the right decision I think I should be allowed to point how it wasnt right and how when I said this a couple of weeks ago and got slammed for it...

In the end though it was the wrong decision wasnt it ? Surely ? The aim was to save the season not too rebuild!

At least you can see that....now..

Well they might of got flak of people like you...not off me... Other to point out that it was a piss poor apointment in the first place... Again, something which people didnt see although I did say at the time...

Awesome so you still think it was right even though it didnt work, all that has happened would of taken place in a couple of weeks time and you addmitted it was probably a silly idea...

Im lost for words...

finally

off people like me??? what kind of people am i then,i happen to think if joe had come in in january he would of been able to offload more and bring in better players,rather than the expensive and unimaginative strikers we have had,who didnt do anything other than take a wage.

there are still 7 games to go,still 21 points up for grabs....it aint over until the fat lady sings...although it is getting harder and harder each week.so maybe when it is no longer mathematically possible not to get in the play offs then,people will properly reflect on the decision.

the simple fact is shez ran out of ideas,our style and form of play from october onwards has been relegation form,only for the first 7 games of the season,we would be at the other end of the table playing the way we have,with even more people leaving bp in there droves.

Im TOTALLY confused....

Didnt the owners, Shez and the players all said it was nothing and didnt impact the team or Shezs postion ??

SO your calling the owners liars ?

I guess I am on this point. Only a few days later Shez was gone, I find it hard to believe that events leading upto MK didn't have any baring on the performance, result and eventual sacking of Shez.

The sort touting that we should get rid of shez with nine games to go and appoint a manager to save the season...the mind boggles....

i said it was a bold decision,a brave decision

whether it was right or wrong remains to be seen

where have i said or been touting to get rid,the other sunday when they got rid of shez i was as shocked as anybody,then they appoint big joe,and again i was as suprised as anybody.

he has had 3 games so far,there are still 7 left and 21 points left for grabs.

can you honestly say hand on heart if shez had'nt been sacked,he would have or we would still be in the playoffs with ou current form and style of play.

I'm glad they did, if Shez was still incharge he'd be getting the flak for us messing the season up. At least this way we can see it wasn't just his fault, but the players themselves. Although he should have never dropped Lewis and Hughesy partnership.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Shez wouldn't have turned it round.

Something had to be done.

They called it right.

After around an hour I think Joe Royle realised that this lot were too far gone - not capable of delivering as a team, despite the wealth of talent in the squad.

He has now set about pulling apart some of the things that were potentially holding us back.

He's got 6 games left to complete the task, and set this club up for next season.

Had Shez stayed, we'd have got the same one point out of nine from the last three games. But not started the necessary planning for August's big kick off.

Edited by opinions4u

They called it right.

After around an hour I think Joe Royle realised that this lot were too far gone - not capable of delivering as a team, despite the wealth of talent in the squad.

He has now set about pulling apart some of the things that were potentially holding us back.

He's got 6 games left to complete the task, and set this club up for next season.

Had Shez stayed, we'd have got the same one point out of nine from the last three games. But not started the necessary planning for August's big kick off.

What he said.

can you honestly say hand on heart if shez had'nt been sacked,he would have or we would still be in the playoffs with ou current form and style of play.

Of course not.. I dont have the numbers for tonight either!!

What I am saying is he should of been allowed to see the season out and given the chance...

Why sack shez?? its not achived anything they should have waited nntil the end of the season. We had only just dropped out the playoffs he could of got us back in. Now all we have is yet another pointless season!!! They need 2 spend money n stop gettin loan players!!

Because I don't think anyone seriously believed we would be still in with a chance of the play offs with Shez in charge. We'd been playing badly for months.

We were dropping like a stone, and have carried on doing.

It just shows at the end of the day, once they cross the white line its the players.

They bottled it this year. Not for the first time.

Personally I don't think any manager could have changed our fortunes at the minute

The team just aren't playing anywhere near what they should be playing like

Joe has come in and has started to change things around and hopefully we will see the full benefits next season

What we need to do is to back who ever our manager is next season and I do hope that it is Joe

I was one of the last ones to keep sticking up for Shez, but once he'd gone you move on. What point is there in saying what if and using hindsight. And as for saying I told you so etc, well thats pathetic.

Move on or move out!

I was never happy with Royle being in charge. I would have kept Sheridan until the end of the season. Then get someone in if we failed to get a play-off place. Now we have Royle sign him up for next season then see what he does.

I really don't know what was/is the right thing when it comes to latics anymore.

Our team going out on the beers during a vital part of the season, we're seemingly unable to hold a lead, a ground with 3 sides, letting our best player out go on loan, and to one of our biggest rivals and no wins in 6. Another season in this division, with a reduced budget too, is almost too depressing to think about.

Who knows if it was the right decision to sack Shez. All I know is that if Shez would have survived another week and got 1 point out of 3, he would have gone anyway. Typical latics, from delight to despair in a week.

Delight to despair in a week? Our season was over against Bristol Rovers. The only reason we were up in the top 6 so long was because other teams had games in hand. I've known that we were the chasers of a playoff spot for months now. The chase is now over.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Sacking Sheridan hasn't rescued our play-off chances.

Should they have waited until the summer, got rid of Hughes, Gregan, Liddell and Crossley (for starters), let SHERIDAN choose 4 players to replace them around the twenty-seven to thirty age and then given him until Christmas. Maybe get somebody like Joe Royle in above him to help and guide him.

Somebody texted GMR tonight and said "we need a young manger" - we had one... that didn't work, so we went for an old one and that hasn't worked. Sacking managers rarely solves a problem in situations like this.

(I can hear the criticism now).

They shouldn't have sacked Ronnie Moore, and they shouldn't have sacked Sheridan.

If your boss brought in someone with more experience in your field to 'help and guide' you, how long would it be before you started looking for a new job?

I think there's a good argument that TTA shouldn't have sacked Sheridan when they did, and instead should have left it until the end of the season, but I don't actually think it makes an awful lot of difference. There's no way this side was headed for the playoffs under Shez, and they won't make them without him either as it turns out.

This became blindingly obvious with the recent Colchester game, the Windass debacle, Doggygate and then MK Dons. And whilst many will argue he should have gone long before, I think TTA wanted to feel certain he'd had a fair crack of the whip before getting rid. Yes, they gambled on Joe getting us into the playoffs but, in my opinion, the stakes were low.

I just hope Joe is the man who will be there next season and that he's allowed to start preparing for that now.

What Joe does have now is the remaining games to experiment with. Lets accept the playoffs are over for us bar the maths. Even if we had won today we would still be 5 points adrift and having played a game more than our rivals.

Joe has time to look at players in more detail, play around with strategy and plenty of time to discuss with SC and AH where the club is going. I stick with my convictions that in JR we have the right man to take us back to the Championship. It might even take two seasons to do it but I believe that if Joe is allowed to manage as he has done in the past and he can bring in players then we will eventually have a squad that is not only capable of going up, but will be good enough to hold its own when it does get promoted.

I think there will be a few leaving BP in the summer and a few new faces on the team sheet next season.

I also agree that Shez had peaked - I think he was too much one of the lads and a Manager has to be able to hold the full respect of his team and keep a certain distance from them. Joe will do that and will tolerate no nonesense.

Hopefully we will see a few impressive performances from players in the remaining games that havent shined much or been given the chance to.

What Joe does have now is the remaining games to experiment with. Lets accept the playoffs are over for us bar the maths. Even if we had won today we would still be 5 points adrift and having played a game more than our rivals.

Joe has time to look at players in more detail, play around with strategy and plenty of time to discuss with SC and AH where the club is going. I stick with my convictions that in JR we have the right man to take us back to the Championship. It might even take two seasons to do it but I believe that if Joe is allowed to manage as he has done in the past and he can bring in players then we will eventually have a squad that is not only capable of going up, but will be good enough to hold its own when it does get promoted.

I think there will be a few leaving BP in the summer and a few new faces on the team sheet next season.

I also agree that Shez had peaked - I think he was too much one of the lads and a Manager has to be able to hold the full respect of his team and keep a certain distance from them. Joe will do that and will tolerate no nonesense.

Hopefully we will see a few impressive performances from players in the remaining games that havent shined much or been given the chance to.

My thoughts exactly.

Joe seems to exude a quiet confidence when it comes to selections and formations/tactics. Alright, we've lost two and drawn one and our season is effectively over. But, in those three games, he has had the bottle to mix things up and state his intentions clearly.

I hope he stays on, but have a suspicion he won't.

Another Summer clear out beckons and the merry-go-round starts again.

They called it right.

:shock: Eh??

Royle was brought in on a contract until the end of the season.

TTA have already said that spending would be cut next season.

Sheridan was sacked because it became obvious that we wouldn't make the playoffs this season.

At the time Royle was appointed we were one point and two places outside the playoffs.

And after all of that your saying that we brought Royle in to build for next season?!

Absolutely ridiculous!

The job Joe has been given was to give the team a short-term shot in the arm to reignite our playoff and eventually promotion hopes by getting immediate results, because no matter what morale and togetherness was like we had a team which hadn't been outside the top 8 all season. It was Joe's job to (in his words) "tweak" the team to get it back on track in their push. If you say that within an hour he had already given up on that then, to put it simply, he's failed his job!

At the time sacking Shez and bringing in Joe was IMO the right decision because it increased the probability of us going up this season and there was a much higher probability of us going up this season than there will be next time around, but all the moves made and vibes coming out of the club recently have totally contradicted the decision to bring Joe in and I think it is unacceptable.

I have serious doubts that Joe should be in charge next season and, despite overseeing the truly wonderful times that he did in the 80's & 90's, he has done nothing to convince me that he is the right man for the long haul this time around.

:shock: Eh??

I have serious doubts that Joe should be in charge next season and, despite overseeing the truly wonderful times that he did in the 80's & 90's, he has done nothing to convince me that he is the right man for the long haul this time around.

this isnt his team and not his players,and not his coaching staff,he cant make a silk purse from a sows ear,the players are not good enough,and do not want to play full stop.we have seen this all season bar the first 7 games.

he will come in sort out the discipline get rid of the has beens and those just picking up a wage,command respect and wont stand anybody messing around or not putting the effort in.

give him a 12 month contract,give him a budget and let him pick his own coaching team,let him bring in his own players and do things his way,then if it doesnt work by all means have a go.....but after 3 games.....your avin a girraffe mate.

Told you so....

:ranting:

People where in cloud coko land with what was being said... Sack shez now and save our season... Told you all at the time how stupid it was too think that..

Still got the same 11 players on the field making the same mistakes...

I dont know if Shez could of turned it around... He should of been given the chance though... We will never know now unfortunantly...

I agree, but more often than not those same players up their game when a new manager arrives. Look what happened at Spurs, before Harry broght back old faces.

this isnt his team and not his players,and not his coaching staff,he cant make a silk purse from a sows ear,the players are not good enough,and do not want to play full stop.we have seen this all season bar the first 7 games.

he will come in sort out the discipline get rid of the has beens and those just picking up a wage,command respect and wont stand anybody messing around or not putting the effort in.

give him a 12 month contract,give him a budget and let him pick his own coaching team,let him bring in his own players and do things his way,then if it doesnt work by all means have a go.....but after 3 games.....your avin a girraffe mate.

If the players aren't good enough why the hell was Shez sacked? Surely he was doing a fantastic job keeping the team in the play-offs for virtually the entire season until his last couple of weeks.

Giving Joe a 12 month contract is pointless, IF he does a terrible job will TTA sack him or will they let him see yet another the season waste away?

If the players aren't good enough why the hell was Shez sacked? Surely he was doing a fantastic job keeping the team in the play-offs for virtually the entire season until his last couple of weeks.

Giving Joe a 12 month contract is pointless, IF he does a terrible job will TTA sack him or will they let him see yet another the season waste away?

he was sacked because tta's thought he had gone as far as he could,and performance wise we were and are anything but a playoff side,have been for the vast majority of the season.

we only managed to stay were we did as other teams around us dropped points and cancelled each other out,whilst we flattered to decieve putting in a great performance once every 4 or 5 games,the rest has been at times utter dross and completely uninspiring,considering he thought these players were good enough to bring then couldnt make them play is testament to his limited ability.

how do we know what kind of job he will do??? have we all got crystal balls

i do know that next season,he is the most and best qualified manager in this division,who says he would only get12 months,i dont know,just guessing,they give an untried manager in sheridan almost 3 seasons and backed him to the hilt.

i do know he will command respect,and demand performances and putting in a full shift every game,from his players,not some hand me downs

If the players aren't good enough why the hell was Shez sacked?

Well you've pretty much answered your own question there.

This is Shez's squad, which he's had a few years and a lot of money to help him create, and it aint good enough to get us promoted, nor does it produce an attractive or at least committed performance for the full 90 mins on a regular basis.

Barring a cracking first five or six games, we've been mediocre.

Edited by Yard Dog