Grand National

Had a great day out at the Grand National last year, and felt I knew everything about horses by the end of the day (I was drunk by 9am so this was obviusly misguided).

However I haven’t got a clue this year. I got "Hear the Echo" in my work sweep stakes, any good? Any good winner/ e/way punts?

The good old Grand National, I love it. I follow a simple method to narrow the field, which to be fair, has proved quite successful over the years.

Basically, I rule out anything over 11 stone, that hasn't placed over 3 m 5, that's French and that isn't aged 9, 10 or 11 (preference for 9/10 year olds). I also like the horse to be in decent form, so should have at least placed in two of it's last three starts.

This rules out all but two. The first of which, Cornish Sett, I'm ruling out as last time out it was comprehensively beaten, as it was in last years National.

So ticking all the boxes and my bet for the National is Kilbeggan Blade. It's form is decent, especially the win at Sandown in December over 3 m 5 carrying 11 st 7, where it had Rambling Minister behind it. It's since won again and finished second (although that run was a bit below par, he was giving a weight all round).

Can't guarantee another Comply or Die, but at 25/1 I hoping it'll run a big race.

Best of luck to those having a flutter.

Edit - the Bee Gees'll be spinning in their graves.

Edited by JimiT

The good old Grand National, I love it. I follow a simple method to narrow the field, which to be fair, has proved quite successful over the years.

Basically, I rule out anything over 11 stone, that hasn't placed over 3 m 5, that's French and that isn't aged 9, 10 or 11 (preference for 9/10 year olds). I also like the horse to be in decent form, so should have at least placed in two of it's last three starts.

This rules out all but two. The first of which, Cornish Sett, I'm ruling out as last time out it was comprehensively beaten, as it was in last years National.

So ticking all the boxes and my bet for the National is Kilgebban Blade. It's form is decent, especially the win at Sandown in December over 3 m 5 carrying 11 st 7, where it had Rambling Minister behind it. It's since won again and finished second (although that run was a bit below par, he was giving a weight all round).

Can't guarantee another Comply or Die, but at 25/1 I hoping it'll run a big race.

Best of luck to those having a flutter.

I'm feeling confident now I see you're on the same as me Jimi. Your record has been quite something!

You might want to check your spelling though - Kilgebban?

I'm feeling confident now I see you're on the same as me Jimi. Your record has been quite something!

Whoops! I knew there were g's and b's somewhere in it. Cheers Stevie.

As usual the ground is a key component in the race, its good at the moment and the course officials are going to water to maintain that with no rain forecast before the race. So straight away you can cross out quite a few that need soft ground.

My fancy for this years race is Rambling Minster he is 11/1 in a few places, he ticks all the boxes for me. He has plenty of winning form on good ground is a very sound jumper and stays really well as a previous winner of the Borders National at Kelso over 4 miles and 1 furlong. Very importantly he comes into this race in the form of his life on the back of 2 good wins in competitive staying chases, he would have another 6lbs to carry had the weights for this race not been framed before his most recent victory over 3 miles 4 furlongs at Haydock.

He did run behind Kilbeggan Blade (as Jimi says) earlier in the season and is worse in at the weights with that rival, but his form has improved markedly since that defeat and I expect him to turn the tables on that rival tomorrow, although I agree Kilbeggan Blade is another interesting contender tomorrow and should go well. He does tick many of the boxes himself but I just have a niggling doubt that he is a better horse at Sandown than he is anywhere else, but that shouldn't stop him going well tomorrow and at around 20/1 is good Each Way value.

Good luck to anyone having a bet.

Edited by Hometownclub

hate the grand national, it is a cruel race. ask anyone in a bookies and they will say it is the worst race to have a bet on.

Ask a bookie that the National is the WORST race to have a bet on??????

Go and have a lie down mate, you must be tired from all your protesting in London

Sorry to busy laughing....

The Grand National probably gives bookies their biggest pay day of the year,every man woman and child has a flutter.

As for being cruel,It's their (the horses) jobs..

Anyway Black alpachi(?) and killbegen blade(?) for me,and a couple of quid on Butlers cabin,mcCoys gotta win it sometime

Edited by SAV

I've got Kilbeggan Blade and Comply or Die e/w and Irish Invader in the sweep at work.

Anyone looking to place bets, Boylesport are offering 6 places on the National and, if you place a bet of £10, you'll get a free bet of £20!

I've got Kilbeggan Blade and Comply or Die e/w and Irish Invader in the sweep at work.

Anyone looking to place bets, Boylesport are offering 6 places on the National and, if you place a bet of £10, you'll get a free bet of £20!

Taken them up on this offer under my name and the missus' so have added each-way bets on Big Fella Thanks and Rambling Minster.