If Royle doesn't get the job...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people on here first started suggesting a Royle return (some time before Shez's sacking), I openly ridiculed the idea.

When Harry Dowd's whassisname joined the clamour, I should have known something was afoot. :grin:

Now Joe's here, and having seen how he's going about things, I am 100% behind him staying as manager next season. I think Joe is absolutely the right man to set the footballing side of the club up for the longer term.

Part of that is for to Joe to be involved in who takes over from him as manager. Having had time to assess the playing and coaching staff, I suspect there will be changes in the summer. Joe will have had time to consider whether he sees Tommy Wright as a capable Assistant and potential manager. If he doesn't, I believe we already have someone on the staff who should be given the Assistant job and groomed to take over from Joe in a season or two.

Step forward Mark Crossley.

That's if he wants that career route. If he's more interested in being a goalkeeping coach at a higher level I suspect he'll be off to a Championship or Premiership club in the summer.

And if Joe isn't to be manager next season? Give it Norm this summer, ideally with Joe in the background as mentor and advisor.

What makes you think Norm would make a good manager? I don't get it myself.

You might worry about him being a bit too close to the players (again) - I reckon he might have been something of the in-between man between Shez/Tommy and the players. Which a la Shez might prove difficult if he became the top man. You only have to see the squad together to see that he is great with the younger players and a huge bonus to the club in that regard. And Lidds told me that he was brilliant with the kids as well (eeks the last out of the name drop :wink: ). He would need to show that he can be a manager rather than a coach IMO. If he were No.2 to BFJ then I think that could be a very good arrangement, and he could still turn out and stop a few next season if needed.

No...sorry...but this is all pie in the sky...let's have a guess, put 2 and 2 together and come up with...well, come on...Crossley? Why? I've been a staunch supporter of Crossley as goalkeeper and taken on many who've blamed him for goals that simply weren't his fault but him as assistant manager? Why??? Coz he's talked a good game? Coz Shez has praised him to the hilt (so is that gospel now if Shez gives the approval?)? I'm not saying that over time, he couldn't learn the role but to suggest him as some sort of ready made assistant manager...why? I really don't get it. Let's give him a couple of years as GK coach and see his work come to fruition and then let's talk about seeing him do it with others in the team...but anything else? Well...it's just space cake talk!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

When people on here first started suggesting a Royle return (some time before Shez's sacking), I openly ridiculed the idea.

When Harry Dowd's whassisname joined the clamour, I should have known something was afoot. :grin:

Now Joe's here, and having seen how he's going about things, I am 100% behind him staying as manager next season. I think Joe is absolutely the right man to set the footballing side of the club up for the longer term.

Part of that is for to Joe to be involved in who takes over from him as manager. Having had time to assess the playing and coaching staff, I suspect there will be changes in the summer. Joe will have had time to consider whether he sees Tommy Wright as a capable Assistant and potential manager. If he doesn't, I believe we already have someone on the staff who should be given the Assistant job and groomed to take over from Joe in a season or two.

Step forward Mark Crossley.

That's if he wants that career route. If he's more interested in being a goalkeeping coach at a higher level I suspect he'll be off to a Championship or Premiership club in the summer.

And if Joe isn't to be manager next season? Give it Norm this summer, ideally with Joe in the background as mentor and advisor.

while norm may be a good influence with the kids,and helps out in training and is no doubt a very commanding presence in the dressing room,he simply is nowhere near the stage to become assistant manager.

yes he may be taking badges etc etc,but his main focus while here has been as keeper,and keeper coach,and i think he does his keeper coaching very well.

i think in the future he may well go down the route of assistant then full manager,but not yet.

and dont forget we have a number 2 already and more capable than the current number 2 in tony p,head and shoulders above most,but doesnt want the hassle,prefers to bring the kids through.

i would be happy if joe was here next season if tony p could be involved in first team duties more.

while norm may be a good influence with the kids,and helps out in training

Probably.

and is no doubt a very commanding presence in the dressing room

How would we know this? I'd think he's a good laugh to be around myself. But I don't know.

he simply is nowhere near the stage to become assistant manager.

I think you're probably right. A budget option for budget times at best.

and i think he does his keeper coaching very well.

I have no idea if he's a good keeper coach or not. Fleming is a good goalie. One would assume Bell isn't. How the coaching regime has impacted them I don't really know. Fleming's distribution improved a bit perhaps.

i would be happy if joe was here next season if tony p could be involved in first team duties more

I am more than happy leaving Tony P bringing the youngsters through.

Edited by opinions4u

The truth is, what we all see is just the tip of the iceberg. None of us could honestly say how good or bad he is on the training pitch or in the dressing room. I base my suggestion on my own observation of his authority, how he is with the players, how well he interviews, and (last but not least) his vast experience in the game. From that, my opinion is that he could make a very good manager in the future. Yes it MIGHT be a bit early to go down that route now, but I would certainly be willing to give him more responsibility if that were to persuade him to stay at the club.

Interesting debate - from those who've bothered to offer a coherent opinion. :wink: