If Royle doesn't get the job...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then who gets it?

Who do you think we would get in baring in mind all that is going on at the club? high-earning players being loaned out/released, budgets being 'tightened'.

Only one man for the job - Mike Bassett

As a club we rely on a very good youth set up to augment the first team squad with players like Alessandra, Smalley and Taylor, and to provide the club with some income from players like Trotman, Spencer and Philliskirk junior.

The very last thing I would want to do is jeopardise that by moving TP.

Our fans wont take to Jim Gannon as he's the sort of man who does things over time

Season 1: Took over in January with County 10 points clear at the bottomof L2. Saved them.

Season 2: Missed out on play-offs by 1 point - a last minutes Bristol Rovers winner denying them (they won their own game 5-0 when it mattered) on the last day of the season

Season 3: Promoted via play-offs to L1.

Season 4: Took County to the verge of the play-offs to the Championship, only falling away to mid-table when the financial plug was well and truly pulled.

That crappy little club that don't even own their own ground have improved every season under Jim Gannon. They get bigger crowds than Latics - under Jim Gannon.

Liam Dickinson £750k. Pilkington £550k. Rowe still at club. Class acts.

Are people also being serious when we say Jim Gannon?

I ask what's wrong with the idea of Gannon managing Latics?

Jim Gannon...that selection makes me laugh...go on then...and you'll have to oust him like Ronnie Moore soon after coz that's how that one will go!!!

NB: I don't think JG would do a bad job at all, I just think it'll be uneasy on the eye

The handful of County game I've seen over the last couple of seasons have involved them passing the ball rather succinctly, good work rate across the team and genuine desire to win. Their crowds have risen as the quality of football has improved under Gannon. Of the three play-off finals last season, County v Rochdale had the best football in it.

i would say gannon as well but only becuse of his dealing and players on such a very low budget,although very similar to us in no consistency really.

When was the last time Latics improved their league postion 4 consecutive season ends under the same manager?

I think Royle will stay. But I struggle to see a better candidate to do the job than Jim Gannon.

Edited by opinions4u

Are people also being serious when we say Jim Gannon? :wink:

Joe will be here in the summer anyhow I think. I just pray it isn't Gannon.

We dont want Cotterill his brand of football is very much like Warnocks,and Moores think we have all had enough of that.

Has to be Joe for me, which to be honest is looking more likely.

We dont want Cotterill his brand of football is very much like Warnocks,and Moores think we have all had enough of that.

Has to be Joe for me, which to be honest is looking more likely.

Did they not score past us after a move involving about 700 passes?

Its going to be Joe. I hope its not. Since Joe came back I haven't been to a game other than Tranmere. The Tranmere game actually upset me. "This is what we've come to" trying to go back 20-25 years. I am probably the only person who wasn't excited when he got the job now.

I'd hate to be at a game with "ROYLE OUT" ringing around the ground.

I want us to move on. But we wont.

danny wilson? decent manager did a decent job at hartlepool on a low budget not been at swindon long tho.

keith hill has done a very good job at rochdale who also dont have huge budgets

also like the sound of steve cotteral

dont think ian hollaway would come to us an dont think he would go down to well with some people hes a love him or hate him type of person

My dream would be a Royle, Donachie partnership again ...Id even like to contemplate a Royle - Ritchie set up .....

Joe will stay I am sure -- But IF he doesent then having had a good look at what hes achieved with Stockport County then Gannon wouldnt be a bad bet

Why on Earth has Holloway been mentioned - There would be more chance of my dog being manager ...........

Season 1: Took over in January with County 10 points clear at the bottomof L2. Saved them.

Season 2: Missed out on play-offs by 1 point - a last minutes Bristol Rovers winner denying them (they won their own game 5-0 when it mattered) on the last day of the season

Season 3: Promoted via play-offs to L1.

Season 4: Took County to the verge of the play-offs to the Championship, only falling away to mid-table when the financial plug was well and truly pulled.

That crappy little club that don't even own their own ground have improved every season under Jim Gannon. They get bigger crowds than Latics - under Jim Gannon.

Liam Dickinson £750k. Pilkington £550k. Rowe still at club. Class acts.

I ask what's wrong with the idea of Gannon managing Latics?

The handful of County game I've seen over the last couple of seasons have involved them passing the ball rather succinctly, good work rate across the team and genuine desire to win. Their crowds have risen as the quality of football has improved under Gannon. Of the three play-off finals last season, County v Rochdale had the best football in it.

When was the last time Latics improved their league postion 4 consecutive season ends under the same manager?

I think Royle will stay. But I struggle to see a better candidate to do the job than Jim Gannon.

Can't disagree with anything on there.

Its going to be Joe. I hope its not. Since Joe came back I haven't been to a game other than Tranmere. The Tranmere game actually upset me. "This is what we've come to" trying to go back 20-25 years. I am probably the only person who wasn't excited when he got the job now.

I'd hate to be at a game with "ROYLE OUT" ringing around the ground.

I want us to move on. But we wont.

Good to know that I'm not alone. Thought it was a bad idea him coming back and nothing has changed my mind since. It all smells of keeping the mob happy whilst making cuts elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong and everything is just peachy but I'm at a very low ebb.

It really isn't going to make much of a difference who we bring in really... Gannon, Royle.... Come mid season the message board Mafia will be spinning their evil :)

I would take either of them.. The key isnt the manager... Its the length of time we are prepared to wait thats the issue...

Edited by oafc0000

I don't want Jim Gannon. I'd rather have the fella we have now. Nothing to do with what JR did for us in the past, more to do with how good he was on a shoestring budget and an eye for a player.

you could equally say the same about gannon and sho string budget,and bringing through youngsters keen n hungry to play and doing it quiet well....

Good to know that I'm not alone. Thought it was a bad idea him coming back and nothing has changed my mind since. It all smells of keeping the mob happy whilst making cuts elsewhere. Hope I'm wrong and everything is just peachy but I'm at a very low ebb.

I have gone to Latics since I was 4 and I have gone home and away since 90/91. I'm not hgoing to Carlisle and (probably) wont go to Crewe. If I dont go to the Brighton game its the longest I have been without going to Latics (barring pre season) since I was 4 years old. I know I'll be back next season and will probbaly go again this year. But low ebb is right.

Add me to the list too. I was on holiday when I heard about what had happened. I was intrigued but not excited.

For me, Joe walks on water, but I agree that it seems that the appointment was made with two things in mind: get us into the playoffs, and, failing that, preside over the downscaling of the club's ambitions in the light of the cuts already hinted at and the putting off of the stadium redevelopment to some time never, in the knowledge that Joe will never come in for the flak that almost any other manager would get for it. It seems like Andy Ritchie all over again.

The hints that have already started about a reliance on youth are reminiscent of the latter end of the Stott/Lees/Brierley era too. Our youth are pretty good-at playing other youth sides. At this level they are, without exception, lightweights as we have already seen. A first team relying on them is a team destined to battle relegation.

Of course, Joe's appointment could turn out to be inspirational, but only if the investment from foreign sources and John Wardle materialises and we end up with a stronger team than this season's and not the far weaker one that seems inevitable.