Are we in 1989 or 2009?

Jason Scotland cost Swansea about 60,000 2 years ago he has scored them 45 goals in 2 seasons

My point is we never sign these sort of players we end up with ricketts on a free, kabba, windass, constantine, ormerod on loan

Great Point dean. Tell us Joe isn't the right man for the job and then list some of the Dross sheriden brought in!!!. the topic is a complete joke after 6 games under royle with a squad of players that were finished before Shez got sacked. Royles has most probably the best record of any manger in the lower leagues and he needs time here. Joe needs time to sort this mess out and Joe can atrract players Shez couldn't.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is of my opinion that Royle isnt the right man to take us where we want to be and it seems as though some Latics fans are living in the past.

Its hard to criticise Joe too much but it seems as though we wont be going anywhere for a long while, combined with other factors such as a reduced budget and players that are already not good enough.

We need fresh ideas from someone who is young, hungry and ambitious, Keith Hill, Jim Gannon... as if we do apoint Joe it wont be long term- where does that leave us?- in the same position.

Im not going to say i wasnt pleased with Joes arrival i was chuffed at the beginning but i saw even after just the first game that it wont work. From the moment the tannoy kept rolling out the scenes from 89 i thought its going to be a massive let down and it has been- i would go as far as saying Shez would have got us a much better return. Players are still deflated i think and know for a fact that some players e.g. Taylor loved Shez- although it seemed morale had gone i think sacking him actually made it worse- and ill be the first to say i wanted Shez out.

So where do we go from here- we will appoint Joe and combined with other factors what will next season bring?

- reduced budget- poor players- how many from Ipswich remains a mystery but i say at least 3/4- Westlake, Supple..

- increased season ticket prices- people wont buy them, and why would they having whitnessed this seasons disaster

- player clearout- we basically start again- no established team bonding- look what happened when we signed Ricketts etc- that season it was evident that we couldnt just build a team of new players only

- players arnt good enough- it worries me that Royle rates people like Wolfenden- does anyone think hes better than anywhere but Macclesfield? players like Westlake are average at best yet well sign them, loans are no better than what we have yet we play them for example we have Fleming yet choose to play Supple when we have nothing to play for- why?

Overall next season will be no different from any other- mid table at best- lets save Joes reputation, which is legendary status and appoint someone else on a long term deal

i agree with all you say

blah, blah, blah. someone else like Talbot, dowie, Moore, sheriden, etc, etc.

Get it into your heads OAFC is a small town, poorly supported club with no money. And they have just appointed a manager with a track record of success. A man who took Ipswitch from the releagation zone to the play offs in the Championship after losing all their best players.

I repeat I cannot believe this thread. It is simply unbelievable

I really can't believe that there is a thread suggesting that Joe is ditched before the season is even over. Yes, we've blown it promotion-wise, but that happened long before Joe arrived. In truth, it happened long before the 6-2 debacle at Franchise Dons, so it's hardly down to Joe that the dream is gone. He is already making his mark, trying different things even though a spate of injuries have hit the club. Surely, this is the first step towards deciding who will be retained and who won't.

We can all wax lyrical about get rid of so-and-so or keep such-and-such, but I would back Joe's judgement with who he sees as wanted for next season. He's an experienced and successful manager who has always got the best out of his players, often to the surprise of supporters. He didn't win the Cup with Everton, win promotions with City or hit the play-offs with Ipswich by being a poor manager. Do we really think that three years out of the game has changed all that? Not bloody likely.

His passion, eagerness and desire to win is still there. He still knows what he is looking for in a player; he hasn't suddenly forgotten. We're so lucky to have such a respected, successful manager like him here now. How many clubs in Leagues 1 & 2 or even some in the Championship wouldn't jump at the chance of having Big Joe at the helm? I don't think many would turn him down.

The cry has gone up for a young, Keith Hill or Jim Gannon type manager. OK. Brentford, Wycombe, Bury, Shrewsbury are all doing great on limited budgets but does that mean that we want to tap up their mnagers? Where would it stop? Any managers who are in the top 6 of their respective divisions are successful, but it doesn't mean they would be at getting Latics into the Championship.

We've got one of the best in the game right now with a proven track record at different levels, including the top flight. Like I said earlier in the post, Joe hasn't forgotten what it's all about so let's, just for a change, all pull in the same direction, hope to God Joe is here next season and back him to the hilt. If it all goes tits up and, Heaven forbid, he fails to do the biz, at least he'll have given it a bloody good go.

Apologies if I've duplicated anyone else's post while I've been typing this and helping the present Mrs Bristolatic look for a lost knitting needle thingy.

haven't read the rest of the thread but, without the history between Joe Royle and Oldham Athletic there is no way we would have any chance whatsoever of a manager of his calibre & track record at the helm next season.

forget what he did with us - look at what he's done everywhere else since - success is very likely, entertaining football is guaranteed.

we CANNOT attract any other manager of this quality

Yet Huddersfield didn't even give him a reply when he applied for their job. And why has he been out of work for two years?

Lower league management is a young mans job, you only have to look at the top eight in both league 1 & 2 to see that.

Yet Huddersfield didn't even give him a reply when he applied for their job.

Maybe they'd have gone up last season or this season with Royle in charge.

And why has he been out of work for two years?

Because ignorant chairmen didn't respond to his applications.

I don't know what i'm bothered for anyway because i'll barely be going next year, but appointing Royle will not work and will set the club back even further.

If you barely go will you barely post as well?

Whilst sometimes I find your depressive tone of posts depressing, there is some interesting and thought-provoking comments in there too. Plus you sig video is still brilliant.

Royle - its a gamble. But a reasonable one, he can do it/has done it. And his reputation with Latics and media savvy may buy him the one thing that no manger at Latics has had for 10 years....time. 4 seasons or so to build a team from scratch - including grooming a youth set-up etc. If the club is as bad as some think (no reserves etc) then it will take more than a couple of seasons to turn it aorund.

his reputation with Latics and media savvy may buy him the one thing that no manger at Latics has had for 10 years....time. 4 seasons or so to build a team from scratch - including grooming a youth set-up etc. If the club is as bad as some think (no reserves etc) then it will take more than a couple of seasons to turn it aorund.

This is what worries me the most, that he won't get 4 years to turn it around. I think after 2 months of a season starting this 'ere soapbox will be chocked full of the usual suspects wanting the manager out because it isn't working. Depressingly familiar.

This is what worries me the most, that he won't get 4 years to turn it around. I think after 2 months of a season starting this 'ere soapbox will be chocked full of the usual suspects wanting the manager out because it isn't working. Depressingly familiar.

Perhaps and if so then very sad. But if fans won't give Joe time then we won't give it anyone. And therefore we are looking for a miracle worker to apply for the job...

Perhaps and if so then very sad. But if fans won't give Joe time then we won't give it anyone. And therefore we are looking for a miracle worker to apply for the job...

Have a look around Scapegoat. He's only been in the job for a month and we've already had a thread from someone who doesn't want him and numerous posters stating he's the wrong man for the job. It feels like a piece of my heart is dying every week.

Personally I feel Joe could build a team here. He just won't get the opportunity before the sentiment is cast to one side and the knives are out.

It is these moronic fans that will drive many others away. Constant booing and demanding instant success, whilst being totallyignorant of the true state of this club. Shez had to go as it was clear it was going wrong, BUT moaning about Royle already is unbelievable. Add in Ronnie Moore is in the Play offs were he has been given support from the fans and......

We really are shooting ourselves in the foot with so many people saying "I love the club but I am not going next season" looks like I am going to have a full row to myself in the RRE next season, could probably knock down the main stand and get a couple of portacabins for the players to get changed in and still have too many seats at BP.

Gotta love this X-Factor society that we have created where people are born to have success and are unable emotionally to deal with failure or have the backbone to work through the lean times.

Have a look around Scapegoat. He's only been in the job for a month and we've already had a thread from someone who doesn't want him and numerous posters stating he's the wrong man for the job. It feels like a piece of my heart is dying every week.

Personally I feel Joe could build a team here. He just won't get the opportunity before the sentiment is cast to one side and the knives are out.

Yup spot on FMS.

I seriously can't believe some of the folks who post on here.

He will build a team for us, its what Joe does. I say that not as a misty eyed sentimentalist but from his track record in the game, full stop. Despite Coconobs splendid posturing I'd say its a dare bet that any clubs in this or the division below looking for a new manager would give owt to get somebody of Joes calibre and experience in, and the fans would be, as they say, over the moon about it. Yet here at Latics everything must be poo-pood, everything slapped down, the worst case scenario applied to anything and everything. People say all football fans are the same, but no they're not, we must have some of the most joyless miserable whinging fans anywhere.

Regardless of the rights and wrong and timing of his arrival he is here now, we have the chance to appoint a successful experienced manager, a very different manager I suspect from the one that left 15 years ago, I really hope he accepts the challenge, it will mean that some of the dregs on here will be disappointed and outraged but collateral damage like that is totally acceptable.

Worst thread EVER.

Its absolutely stupid to be saying a manager with a proven and successful track record both here and at Everton, Citeh and Ipswich is not the right man for the job after only 6 games.

Given some time Joe will do a good job at this club as he did here before.

Some of our fans really are ridiculous.

Worst thread EVER.

Its absolutely stupid to be saying a manager with a proven and successful track record both here and at Everton, Citeh and Ipswich is not the right man for the job after only 6 games.

quote name='Hometownclub' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:50 AM' post='247778']

Worst thread EVER.

10000% Agree.....

Hellooooo any brain cells alert enought to REALLY look back to the start of Joe's first stint as Manager?. When he first came to latics he was told we had no money, had to sell players, stave off relegation and he had no youth squad. It was his first position and the first few seasons were grim and I think those who remember those days in all honesty were not sure what would come first - The closure of the club or relegation.

But he had a sense of values, ideals and a mission - Dont forget he learned his trade under Harry Catterick a real ''old school manager'' None of us could have dreamt that he would take us where he did. The 2nd Division title, The top flight of English football, A league Cup final and two FA Cup semi finals.

With the squad we had we were punching way above our weight but never the less he took us there.

In the years that he has gone the club has had a succession of managers and failed administration. The club has been on the brink of closure and the so called fans that flocked to BP in days of old have now got back on the bus to go watch City or United.

Look what he has taken on again...A club with no money, a team that struggles to compete in the 3rd teir, 3/4 of a ground - He has almost come into a worst scenario than he took on last time round.

Now there are some cloth heads saying that Joe is not the the job? Jeesh he has hardly got his feet back under the desk and the grim reapers are out again.

I dont care that we havent won under Joe yet nor do I care if we dont win any of the remaining games - Nice if we do but not a cause for concern.

What I DO care about is seeing JR have a damn good look at every player that is on the clubs books and that he gives those with a whiff of promise the opportunity for a run out.

What I DO want is to see is players responding to the best of their abillities to the words of a coach who has played at the highest level,managed in the top flight and can help them become better players - IF they listen.

I am sure Joe has looked around and thought S**t this is a worse mess than I thought. Having said that JR in my opinion has all it takes to turn it round providing he is given time to do it.

You want instant success then turn then fill the kettle and switch it on - It will boil cos the power is there. Put the key in your cars ignition and the car will start - As long as there is fuel there and everything works ok .......Success :grin:

We have no fuel, we have no power and not a lot works at the momment. Success therefore cant be achieved

However if JR is given the time then I DO believe that he will sort out a team that is capable of taking us back to the championship - There is much to do and there will be mistakes made and surprising successes along the way.

I myself am more than happy to stay in this division for another two or three seasons if it means that an infrastructure is created on the playing side that gives us players that die on the pitch for latics, young players eager to step up to the plate and we end up ina position that when we DO get promotion we are more than equipped to consolodate our position.

There is not a a better man with the experience that JR has to do this job - We are lucky to have got him as it is, We have a manager that has a passion and a love for Oldham ....Give the big man the chance to get on with the job

quote name='Hometownclub' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:50 AM' post='247778']

Worst thread EVER.

10000% Agree.....

Hellooooo any brain cells alert enought to REALLY look back to the start of Joe's first stint as Manager?. When he first came to latics he was told we had no money, had to sell players, stave off relegation and he had no youth squad. It was his first position and the first few seasons were grim and I think those who remember those days in all honesty were not sure what would come first - The closure of the club or relegation.

But he had a sense of values, ideals and a mission - Dont forget he learned his trade under Harry Catterick a real ''old school manager'' None of us could have dreamt that he would take us where he did. The 2nd Division title, The top flight of English football, A league Cup final and two FA Cup semi finals.

With the squad we had we were punching way above our weight but never the less he took us there.

In the years that he has gone the club has had a succession of managers and failed administration. The club has been on the brink of closure and the so called fans that flocked to BP in days of old have now got back on the bus to go watch City or United.

Look what he has taken on again...A club with no money, a team that struggles to compete in the 3rd teir, 3/4 of a ground - He has almost come into a worst scenario than he took on last time round.

Now there are some cloth heads saying that Joe is not the the job? Jeesh he has hardly got his feet back under the desk and the grim reapers are out again.

I dont care that we havent won under Joe yet nor do I care if we dont win any of the remaining games - Nice if we do but not a cause for concern.

What I DO care about is seeing JR have a damn good look at every player that is on the clubs books and that he gives those with a whiff of promise the opportunity for a run out.

What I DO want is to see is players responding to the best of their abillities to the words of a coach who has played at the highest level,managed in the top flight and can help them become better players - IF they listen.

I am sure Joe has looked around and thought S**t this is a worse mess than I thought. Having said that JR in my opinion has all it takes to turn it round providing he is given time to do it.

You want instant success then turn then fill the kettle and switch it on - It will boil cos the power is there. Put the key in your cars ignition and the car will start - As long as there is fuel there and everything works ok .......Success :grin:

We have no fuel, we have no power and not a lot works at the momment. Success therefore cant be achieved

However if JR is given the time then I DO believe that he will sort out a team that is capable of taking us back to the championship - There is much to do and there will be mistakes made and surprising successes along the way.

I myself am more than happy to stay in this division for another two or three seasons if it means that an infrastructure is created on the playing side that gives us players that die on the pitch for latics, young players eager to step up to the plate and we end up ina position that when we DO get promotion we are more than equipped to consolodate our position.

There is not a a better man with the experience that JR has to do this job - We are lucky to have got him as it is, We have a manager that has a passion and a love for Oldham ....Give the big man the chance to get on with the job

Thats actually on par with the same idiots who proclaimed they were happy to go down as long as we play good football just after Shez was appointed.

So, the basic premise of the OP is that once a manager reaches 60 he is out of touch and lacks the hunger, ambition and new ideas to take a team forward.

I wonder how many Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal fans think that?

By the way Dean, I might disagree and I'm honestly not trying to sound patronising, but that was an excellent opening post - sets out your argument very well. :)

Edited by garcon

Thats actually on par with the same idiots who proclaimed they were happy to go down as long as we play good football just after Shez was appointed.

How is 'more than happy to stay in this division for two or three seasons, if it means that an infrastructure is created on the playing side that gives us players that die on the pitch for latics' IOW Blue

on a par with being happy to go down?? (excuse the pun!! :blush: )

The statement is completely different Coco and backed up by reasonable comments as to why IOW would be happy for us to stay in this division.

In short, I think most realistic fans, the board and certainly Joe Royle, considering how this season has unfolded, realises that this will be no overnight job.

Correct....TTA have thrown millions at it since they arrived and we can't complain at all about a lack of funds.

The one thing they haven't got right is their choice of manager and that is the real reason for our lack of success.

I think Joe is going to be the right man for the job and maybe, just maybe, we will have a little success at last, however, if we fail again, I dread to think of the consequences!!!

We can all hope obviously, but I'll throw this question into the arena

If Joe Royle got the job, how many people on here would expect success?

I personally expect that next season, and maybe the season after that, will be a case of consolidation and rebuilding, regardless of whoever is in charge.

We can all hope obviously, but I'll throw this question into the arena

If Joe Royle got the job, how many people on here would expect success?

I personally expect that next season, and maybe the season after that, will be a case of consolidation and rebuilding, regardless of whoever is in charge.

agreed.

which would be a good thing, no expectancy = a liitle less criticism = a nice surprise and positive feel around the place if we have a decent season.

Coco....You have not grasped any of my points at all, but then you grasp few....

Thank you futcher ......Right on

I want to be successful in my career.......However as I lost my job a few weeeks back I realise that in order to do that I have to first get a job, apply my skills and find out exactly where I can make progress. I need to work out where my skills will work best and learn all I can in order to help myself and the company progress. That will not happen overnight and it may take a few years to get where I want to be.

What I do have is the skills and experience to make it happen.

Is that anology too hard for you to grasp Coco or is it beyond you?

Personally Carl I would hope after a season in charge - No I would expect so have seen enough changes for me to see a different latics emerging. One that has a different aura about it and in a perfect world one that has a body of fans that gets right behind the team and is devoid of the Coco's of this world who seem to do nothing but castigate and wallow in a sea of despair.

You say you will only attend a few games if any next season Coco ...Please tell me which ones you WILL attend when the seasons fixtures do come out and I will avoid them ...If there is one thing I hate when going to a match is the risk of being sat next to someone who constantly moans.

Jeesh I bet your freaking wonderful at partys

Lookers Carl ?? I used to sell Peugot for them when they were at Huddersfield Road - happy days :)

Edited by IsleOfWightBlue