I would have thought it was obvious.

We may not be winning but the football is definitely improving......You cannot bame Joe for the standard of players he has had to work with and hopefully given the close season to change things round we will kick off in August with a TEAM worthy of representing the fans.

What it is that you dislike so much about Joe Royle Coco?...Please tell me!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I was a bit young to remember at the time, why was it that Royle got rid of Redfearn?

Despite Redders scoring 17 goals in our Championship season, he fell out with Joe towards the back end of that season when Joe brought in Paul Kane who he perceived to have a bit more guile. Ultimately it didn't really work out with Kane and Redders worked his way back in but mainly from the bench over the last 4 weeks or so of the season. In the summer of '91 Joe brought Milligan back in from Everton and made it clear that Milligan and Henry would be his first choice pairing and Redders would have to be content with a place on the right or on the bench. After an early season show down Redders was shipped out on loan to Barnsley where the move was quickly made permanent.

Edited by oafcprozac

What it is that you dislike so much about Joe Royle Coco?...Please tell me!!!!!!

Yes, come on Coco...let's hear it...what do you dislike so much about Joe ???

I'd have thought a thinking man like you would have been kinder than to judge him on a few games.

Although I was a bit young to remember at the time, why was it that Royle got rid of Redfearn?

In his book 'There's only one Neil Redfearn' he describes how he'd played 36 consecutive games and had no reason to suppose his days as an automatic choice were numbered. He was substituted against West Ham and two matches later against Millwall.

"The following week I was on the bench against Leicester and I started just three of the last eight games of the season. At the same time I sensed a change in Royle's attitude towards me. All of a sudden he seemed cold and distant, not warm and friendly anymore. Perhaps after signing Kane and seeing Bernard's progres, he was playing mind games to keep me on my toes but it had the reverse effect. I simply couldn't understand what was going on. I had never felt so let down by a manager, a man I had trusted totally. I felt double-crossed."

"Yes, I was volatile and, with the great gift of hindsight, I might have acted differently. But I also felt let down by him."

"I still admire Joe I always have. He and Willie Donachie are a fantastic pair. Joe had a remarkable ability to make his players feel at ease and lose their fear. He brought in decent footballers, created a good atmosphere and encouraged them to go out and play. Not many managers have that gift."

In his book 'There's only one Neil Redfearn' he describes how he'd played 36 consecutive games and had no reason to suppose his days as an automatic choice were numbered. He was substituted against West Ham and two matches later against Millwall.

"The following week I was on the bench against Leicester and I started just three of the last eight games of the season. At the same time I sensed a change in Royle's attitude towards me. All of a sudden he seemed cold and distant, not warm and friendly anymore. Perhaps after signing Kane and seeing Bernard's progres, he was playing mind games to keep me on my toes but it had the reverse effect. I simply couldn't understand what was going on. I had never felt so let down by a manager, a man I had trusted totally. I felt double-crossed."

"Yes, I was volatile and, with the great gift of hindsight, I might have acted differently. But I also felt let down by him."

"I still admire Joe I always have. He and Willie Donachie are a fantastic pair. Joe had a remarkable ability to make his players feel at ease and lose their fear. He brought in decent footballers, created a good atmosphere and encouraged them to go out and play. Not many managers have that gift."

Sounds like a fair and frank assessment...

With so many people banging on about Joes man management skills (which I do agree with) he defo got this one wrong...

Only been managing 5 years and IMO still learning. I think we need experience to steady the squad and to get the reserves issue sorted out. Granted he has done well at County but I dont think he is the man we need to sort out our squad problems.

Joe is the answer to steady everything to give us a real chance of promotion in 2 years but he must be given time which I think TTA will

Totally agree that Joe is a fantastic option.

But if Joe says no, then a manager of 5 years experience (3 and a half in England) who has improved his side's performance each year is surely a good bet?

This is the key for me in all this debate. If you disregard all the 'who else of his calibre could we get' or 'Gannon is a better bet' that’s on this thread already, the above in bold is the most telling.

From an ex-player of Joe's who was (rightly or wrongly) shipped out of the club - read again what he (Redders) says about Joe & his man management:

Players feeling at ease, playing without fear, to go out & play the game, a team spirit created & maintained, decent players brought in........................and that’s from someone who was sold on & moved out of the club!

Now, even with the much predicted budget cuts & player turnaround; I myself am convinced that Joe is the right man to work with what will be left at the club & bring in a few players to complete the mix.

The Yoof:

Smallley & Eardley were both impressive on sat in a 'nothing' game - both showing their potential. Lee looked good 1st half till fitness put paid to his involvement. Taylor is still learning the game & maturing (whilst still being our best player!). Black, Wolfy & Lewis have all featured. Lomax I guess comes back into the mix as do the 4 1st year pro deal youngsters - maybe even Stephens too eh??

There is a core of young talent at the club, which with the correct man management & coaching, will become a promising unit.

I’m not saying for one moment that we should 100% rely on what we have; youth & young player wise – but; with the correct handling I feel they can finally begin to reach their potential.

I think a combo of Joe as manager, Willie Donachie as Assistant & Tony P to split a dual role of Youth & Reserve Boss; we would have a top-notch 3 who can work with & develop the talent within.

With Joe’s contacts / standing in the game; I think some better quality loanee’s than we have had in recent years (Shez’s & Moore’s; not the Talbort flukes!) is achievable. 2 or 3 well thought out & placed loan players mixed into the young lads & the given number of the out of contract players offered new deals will stand us in more than good stead for next season.

Now call this a happy-clapper post or a Blue-tinted specs one or whatever; It’s just what I believe – I would be more than delighted if Joe was to sign on the dotted line.

If he doesn’t; then I have to have faith that TTA will ultimately make a correct call & bring in a man who has some or all the management talents of Joe (listed above by Reddres)

Keeping the Faith, hard as it is sometimes, that this club will be more than ok!!!!

Sly

There is a core of young talent at the club, which with the correct man management & coaching, will become a promising unit.

The correct man managment with the more experienced players too please.

First on the list to deliver - Royle

Second - Gannon (takes no shi% from his players)

Third - really struggling to come up with a third name.

Sign it please Joe.

Edited by opinions4u

Granted, but at least he's now at a club he gives a feck about.

And with him still here, I think even the happiest of clappers would have joined Corporal Jones's Doom BandwagonTM long ago.

I'm not the leader of any doom cult.

There'll be no mass suicides in African jungles while I tread these boards.

Sounds like a fair and frank assessment...

With so many people banging on about Joes man management skills (which I do agree with) he defo got this one wrong...

Redfearn made friends with managers about as easily as Wadsworth would have done in a speed dating round at an old ladies nursing home. He :censored:ed his own career by being a :censored:, shame he didn't listen to Joe early on or he might have made more of himself. As it is, good good we got rid. Rumour has it that Joe clears out players who aren't good for the team, even if they have more talent than the people he has around...