Here we go. The "I don't want Joe brigade" are already sharpening their knives and he hasn't even taken the bloody job yet! Christ on a bicycle, what a wonderfully supportive bunch we have here. Of course, it may not work with Joe, but then again, horror of horrors, it just might. Right, all together now, how do you spell o-p-t-i-m-i-s-m. Oh, sod it, I'm wasting my time. Let's see what happens, eh?

By the way, :ktf:

Excellent post, agree 100%.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same team, different manager yet same, poor performances. Maybe a fresh start next season is what the team needs because the players look lackluster and uninspired.

Ergo it is the players.

So we need someone who is going to ship out all the truble causers and overpaid prima donnas and dead wood, and not renew contracts that are coming to an end this season.

So we need someone who has good contacts int he game, is not taking a chance on too many unproven players and has the right blend of youth and experience.

Oh hang on.

And I speak as someone who did not feel right when it was announced Joe was coming back. Probably how you are feeling now. But He has been a breath of fresh air since he arrived. He knows the score. Bit of negotiation with the TTA ont he budget and voila.

So the alternatives:

Gannon started well but tailed off. Temperament issues are obvious. If it doesn;t go his way then he clearly sulks.

Hill has done OK, but not achieved anything yet, and if he got Rochdale up why would he come here?

Not seen many other options, and none from you. So if we are stuck with a choice of Joe and lets see who applies, I'd be busting a gut to get Joe in.

The relationship wit the TTA is crucial, so if they think itis working that is half the battle won.

Edited by singe

Great news if he accepts the contract. Joe is one of the best managers around for working on a limited budget. One cup final, 2 semi finals and league winners would suggest so. For anyone who thinks he isnt the right man I would love to know who you would suggest? And please dont say Jim Gannon!

So the alternatives:

Gannon started well but tailed off. Temperament issues are obvious. If it doesn;t go his way then he clearly sulks.

Hill has done OK, but not achieved anything yet, and if he got Rochdale up why would he come here?

Regarding Gannon. He's taken County from just about relegated from Division 4, to just on the edge of the play-offs in his first season, then 2nd season he got them up, then 3rd season he got them INTO the play-offs but they just fell apart once it came apparent they'd have to sell and offload his best youngsters. I've been really impressed with his management, even if he's provided a few chortles because he wouldn't speak to Sky until they sorted out his broken dish.

And I very much like Keith Hill. The way he's turned Dale into a great footballing side challenging for promotion says it all to me. No promotion yet, but ensures they're at the right end of the table for the 2nd year running.

Regarding Gannon. He's taken County from just about relegated from Division 4, to just on the edge of the play-offs in his first season, then 2nd season he got them up, then 3rd season he got them INTO the play-offs but they just fell apart once it came apparent they'd have to sell and offload his best youngsters. I've been really impressed with his management, even if he's provided a few chortles because he wouldn't speak to Sky until they sorted out his broken dish.

Definitely my candidate, until Royle cam in to the frame.

Sounds like another young manager who got a side in to the play-offs in his first season, top 10 finish 2nd season and on course for another top 10 finish.

The one you referred to has seen investment rise season on season while finishing position falls. Got lucky with youth in 2nd season and then discarded it.

please dont say Jim Gannon!

Jim Gannon.

Why not?

Gannon started well but tailed off.

Take a side of league 2 youngsters. Get them promoted. Remove 3 of their best players. The decline in form since the turn of the year is quite stunning, but the reasons are well beyond any manager. The side has 3 subs on Monday. One of them was 17.

Edited by opinions4u

Dont say Jim Gannon!

Why not?

Only been managing 5 years and IMO still learning. I think we need experience to steady the squad and to get the reserves issue sorted out. Granted he has done well at County but I dont think he is the man we need to sort out our squad problems.

Joe is the answer to steady everything to give us a real chance of promotion in 2 years but he must be given time which I think TTA will

Only been managing 5 years and IMO still learning. I think we need experience to steady the squad and to get the reserves issue sorted out. Granted he has done well at County but I dont think he is the man we need to sort out our squad problems.

Joe is the answer to steady everything to give us a real chance of promotion in 2 years but he must be given time which I think TTA will

Take away Joe's connections to the club and him returning on a long-term contract would be the equivalent to us getting someone like Harry Redknapp, his record speaks for itself and like Harry, Joe managed in the top-flight for many years and has won the FA Cup. Both Joe and Harry have suffered relegation from the top-flight but Joe edges it on promotions. FFS people Joe coming back could be the best thing that has happened to this club in a long while and for the first time in years we will have a manager that knows what he is doing at every level of the club.

Take away Joe's connections to the club and him returning on a long-term contract would be the equivalent to us getting someone like Harry Redknapp, his record speaks for itself and like Harry, Joe managed in the top-flight for many years and has won the FA Cup. Both Joe and Harry have suffered relegation from the top-flight but Joe edges it on promotions. FFS people Joe coming back could be the best thing that has happened to this club in a long while and for the first time in years we will have a manager that knows what he is doing at every level of the club.

:chubb:

In these "quick fix" times we live in, the "I want, I want and I want it now!" etc.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a rock-steady manager in charge, with the resources of a successful youth system and the finances to bring in the odd experienced, yet still effective, loan player.

Where we could, perhaps, take the time to build a talented team, built on youth and consistency, coupled with a shrewd head in charge of tactics and team selections. A team where "favourites" do not come into the equation. A team where, if a player is under performing, he will be dropped. We might even get a manager who tends to wear his heart on his sleeve and even stoop to telling us if a certain player is going to be dropped or even keep his place in the starting line-up, and stays true to his word if he says he is going to change things about!!!

He might even say "they might score three, but we'll score four!"

Oh, wait a minute......

Hmm, you are slowly bringing me round....

A lot of you go over the top when people disagree with certain things. You act as if i'd want him run out of Oldham. I welcomed Joe back when he took charge but now i have my doubts....

Talking about Joe not having favourites...i disagree with that. I don't think there has been a match where he hasn't said how amazing Gregan has been. Wolfenden also had a few mentions...strange! I suppose you can put that down to trying to inspire confidence in individuals or shows how he is assessing each player on their own merits.

I think i'm arguing with myself here.....

The manager will have my support....whoever he is.

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says:

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy said: “We would like to have a chat with Joe this weekend. The job is there if he is happy with the budget available for players.

“We had an open mind as to the future when he arrived here, as did Joe, but the players seem to like him and obviously the fans do.

“Even if he is not here next season, hopefully he will still offer us advice.”

If Joe doesn't stay, I wonder if he'll offer advice once again on who should be the next manager. :mmm:

Hmm, you are slowly bringing me round....

A lot of you go over the top when people disagree with certain things. You act as if i'd want him run out of Oldham. I welcomed Joe back when he took charge but now i have my doubts....

Talking about Joe not having favourites...i disagree with that. I don't think there has been a match where he hasn't said how amazing Gregan has been. Wolfenden also had a few mentions...strange! I suppose you can put that down to trying to inspire confidence in individuals or shows how he is assessing each player on their own merits.

I think i'm arguing with myself here.....

The manager will have my support....whoever he is.

Although I was a bit young to remember at the time, why was it that Royle got rid of Redfearn?

Tonight's rarely wrong Chron says:

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy said: “We would like to have a chat with Joe this weekend. The job is there if he is happy with the budget available for players.

“We had an open mind as to the future when he arrived here, as did Joe, but the players seem to like him and obviously the fans do.

“Even if he is not here next season, hopefully he will still offer us advice.”

If Joe doesn't stay, I wonder if he'll offer advice once again on who should be the next manager. :mmm:

Shame they don't seem to show it on the pitch.

And I very much like Keith Hill. The way he's turned Dale into a great footballing side challenging for promotion says it all to me. No promotion yet, but ensures they're at the right end of the table for the 2nd year running.

Bit like our budget next season then :grin:

I wonder how well he's doing at his current club on a fraction of the budget we've spent here.

We've got our football back!

Granted, but at least he's now at a club he gives a feck about.

And with him still here, I think even the happiest of clappers would have joined Corporal Jones's Doom BandwagonTM long ago.