For me it's not Allott who needs replacing, it's Wellens. The creative man alongside him.

He'll do just fine as long as we address that particular issue.

True, don't think we'll get that calibre of player on the cheap, ever again. As I mentioned with the McD thing...Allott could improve with the right man alongside him. But I do think he's been shown up for his failings this season. And it's affected us badly. I'm happy for him to have his contract...but he's got improvements to make.

Edited by boundaryblue80

True, don't think we'll get that calibre of player on the cheap, ever again. As I mentioned with the McD thing...Allott could improve with the right man alongside him. But I do think he's been shown up for his failings this season. And it's affected us badly. I'm happy for him to have his contract...but he's got improvements to make.

I agree. And so you need to look at bringing in a different style. I think a team can cope with a defensive and attacking midfield pair if the system matches it. If we're going to have an Allott/Whits type combo then you need to make one push on. Under Royle, whilst not exactly working perfect, it's shown that if Whits pushes on there is potential without the need for a 'creative' player.

If you have wingers providing the creative pulse from wide then you can afford to lack that central creative spark. The problem this year seems to have been a lack of creativity, not necessarily from the centre.

I agree. And so you need to look at bringing in a different style. I think a team can cope with a defensive and attacking midfield pair if the system matches it. If we're going to have an Allott/Whits type combo then you need to make one push on. Under Royle, whilst not exactly working perfect, it's shown that if Whits pushes on there is potential without the need for a 'creative' player.

If you have wingers providing the creative pulse from wide then you can afford to lack that central creative spark. The problem this year seems to have been a lack of creativity, not necessarily from the centre.

That is very true Ackey, but to play that system you need bloody good full backs supporting your marauding wingers, ala Irwin, Barlow, Warhurst, Pointon etc. At the moment Eardley MIGHT cut it if he get back to the form he showed last season, but we need to solve a 3 year old left back problem (the closest we came in that 3 years was Simon Charlton).

That is very true Ackey, but to play that system you need bloody good full backs supporting your marauding wingers, ala Irwin, Barlow, Warhurst, Pointon etc. At the moment Eardley MIGHT cut it if he get back to the form he showed last season, but we need to solve a 3 year old left back problem (the closest we came in that 3 years was Simon Charlton).

Jones? :)

Now then, Mark Allott. A player who started off as a striker yet has no real desire imo to move forward with the ball. Yes he is an anchor man and yes he is put there mearly to do the simple stuff but I agree with bb80 in that he has not stepped up to the plate often enough this season.

I have watched allott in games for up to ten minutes at a time just to see his movement both on and off the ball and it really is shocking!

Against crewe at times he looked lost and played the ball as soon as he got it as though he didnt want it usually with back turned to goal the laying it off to either stam or greegs. When he got an early ball and their were runners he casually put his foot on the ball, had a think and then by that time the chance had gone.

The reason our season is a waste is that the strikers have not got enough decent service end of, and I think that allott is to blame for a large portion of that. Creative he aint but at least give the ball to somebody who can work the ball.

For me I would like to see both a creative midfielder and a holding midfielder brought in, with Lee and Allott as backup.

Keeping that champagne on ice

Burgerdarts

I rated that Polish lad who is at wigan Cwyka or whatever he is called, didnt get a proper crack here bit looked class when he was on the field.

I agree, never got a proper crack in the team, but at that time, we had a midfield bang in form....Killer, Hughes (and was Rob Lee here??) He's 20, now and hopefully would have improved his game. Possible loan deal.....(oh no, not another loan signing!)

As part of a back 5, in a 5-3-2, I think he could be destructive at this level.

Sadly he doesn't belong to us Ackey, and if/when Wolves go up I suspect he'll find himself out on loan with a Championship club next term.

to be honest like was mentioned earlier if they go they go. but Allott is a player we can work with, if he loses the ball he wants it back and 80% of the time he gets it, he wants to play for latics unlike 70% of the rest of em...well donr Mark, IMO you have just about earned it

In a season when we've been over-run in midfield by being tactically outwitted and outnumbered, Allott has been asked to do the work of three men at times. Sometimes he's only done the work of 1.5. As Jacko says, even when it's been bad he has at least wanted it - he's been prepared to take a knock and shiel the ball, have a little nibble at his man (possibly thinking he was made of cheese :shock: ) to let him know he is there. It's insane to want him to be the whole midfield on his own, he's done a fantastic job for us in difficult circumstances and if we let him go we are off our heads. If we do need a one-man-team playmaker like Wellens, we will sure as hell need someone to do what Allott does.

Sadly he doesn't belong to us Ackey, and if/when Wolves go up I suspect he'll find himself out on loan with a Championship club next term.

One loan to Northampton and two to us suggests otherwise - compare to Bertrand, who was out of our reach after showing his growth in dramatic fashion, and who will end in the Premiership unless the wheels fall off. No Championship club will take Jones as a first choice defender at the moment IMO

One loan to Northampton and two to us suggests otherwise - compare to Bertrand, who was out of our reach after showing his growth in dramatic fashion, and who will end in the Premiership unless the wheels fall off. No Championship club will take Jones as a first choice defender at the moment IMO

Perhaps LL. I just wonder though, with him having signed a new contract with Wolves whether they'll want him out 2 league below the level where they are? That said, I suppose they could have signed him to a deal knowing they could get a fee for him.

In addition, I'm not sure about him as a left back. I like him as a player, and what he brings in an attacking sense, but as has been said elsewhere, I think he'd be better employed in a 3-5-2 set up.

I'd be very happy to see him in the squad for next year though.

I sometimes think there is aclue in the terminology of the article.

We have seen from time to time that a player has been offered the best ever deal to a Latics player, knowing full well they will not sign.

CAn anyone recall any players that we have put up an article about them considering a deal and them actually signing it?

I'd be happy if there were articles like that, I jsut cannot recall any!