Interest has never been so low

What really :censored:s me off is people like you who come on the forums and moan their freaking arse off day in and day out without having anything constructive to say ...Its just one long moan.

How does being positive on the internet affect what's happening at the club or on the pitch?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who travels from the iow/darn sarf, or any distance outside of the borough of Oldham for games, deserves applauding and the club are very lucky to have fans such as these.

Regardless if you can make some games, all games, and some seasons not at all for different reasons, surely the main thing is that you remain a supporter of the club, regardless of if they are pushing for promotion, fighting relegation or mid table mediocrity. As has already been said, the performances of the team do aid towards dictating how a person is going to spend his/her budget for the season, but to consistently and constantly whinge, moan, give unconstructive, negative comments on an internet board cannot in any way, help support the club.

The anguish at what's happened to this club over the last dreadful decade-and-a-half is every bit as much the sign of a true supporter as the baseless optimism of those who put up with constant mediocrity punctuated only by signs of further decline.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

How does being positive on the internet affect what's happening at the club or on the pitch?

in this day and age it works hand and hand with the club,i have lost count the amount of times something has started on here then its on the official site shortly after..

officials within the club do read these boards,mr corney does read this board as probably a good few others,therefor they have a good idea of how people are feeling towards the club and other things.

in this day and age it works hand and hand with the club,i have lost count the amount of times something has started on here then its on the official site shortly after..

officials within the club do read these boards,mr corney does read this board as probably a good few others,therefor they have a good idea of how people are feeling towards the club and other things.

Good! Then they will have oppotunity to hear your happy clapping and corporals suicide songs...

I remember just prior to the great cup runs we had when we reached the semi final of the FA Cup and League cup final how average the gates were - As we progressed it became harder to get tickets. Bolton in the FA cup Quarter Final. Man United in the Semi Final. Southampton and West Ham in the Littlewoods Cup were particularly hard for fans like me to get tickets while the one game a season fans lined sheepfoot lane.

This is nothing unique to Latics. Even at the best supported club success brings new interest. Your hardly going to increase a fanbase by showing the occasionals the pique of the self-proclaimed 'true supporter.'

Clearly, then, this doesn't filter down to the team, who'd be putting in more effort if they knew how most people on here feel lately.

The anguish at what's happened to this club over the last dreadful decade-and-a-half is every bit as much the sign of a true supporter as the baseless optimism of those who put up with constant mediocrity punctuated only by signs of further decline.

I'm sure if you look around our 3 sided ground, you will see fans who have supported this club for 30/40 years and more and if you really believe that these fans would say that this is the worst position the club has ever been in, then perhaps you have set your own standard of this football club, far too high - The 'last dreadful decade and a half' as you put it followed the most successful period this club will ever see and if you looked at the decade and a half before that, things were certainly not much better here than you feel they are now.

Perhaps if people stop using the premier league/cup runs as a REAL measure of the success we should be achieving, then maybe a more realistic expectation of this club and it's players may be held.

Being continually negative doesn't bring a lot to the table though does it?

What is this 'bringing things to the table' supposed to consist of. What can any of us on here do about the financial plight of the club and the fact that nobody seems able to put together a side that achieves what other clubs no bigger than Latics manage to do and get out of this mind-numbing division?

Get behind the team (ha!)? Pay money at the turnstiles? What else?

I'm sure if you look around our 3 sided ground, you will see fans who have supported this club for 30/40 years and more and if you really believe that these fans would say that this is the worst position the club has ever been in, then perhaps you have set your own standard of this football club, far too high - The 'last dreadful decade and a half' as you put it followed the most successful period this club will ever see and if you looked at the decade and a half before that, things were certainly not much better here than you feel they are now.

Perhaps if people stop using the premier league/cup runs as a REAL measure of the success we should be achieving, then maybe a more realistic expectation of this club and it's players may be held.

Speaking as somebody who's been a regular at BP for over thirty years, I am well aware of what happened in the period before the PL. For one thing, I noticed that we were comfortably holding our own at a level of the game it now seems impossible for us to attain again. People like yourself might well be happy with endless lower divison mediocrrity, but the attendance figures reveal you to be a very small minority in and around Oldham. Compare the forthcoming season ticket sales to the first pre-season TTA were in charge when we had the open-air meeting at BP and all the talk was of promotion.

And while things might have looked worse at certain points in the past, I think you have to take into account the way the game has changed, particularly in its financial structure. We have been left behind, not least by other clubs in similar towns with all the same problems as Oldham, who seem to comfortably be able to achieve higher level football and modern facilities. I've said it before, but, like most of what I write on here, it's worth repeating: for a generation our natural local rivals were the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Preston and Burnley. Now they're Rochdale, Stockport, Bury, and Macclesfield even. And the sad thing is that a large percentage of the hardcore support has grown to expect and desire nothing else.

As often has to be repeated on here, thehalf-time speech by the club official at the Port Vale game made it more than clear that the club itself understands the kind of future we can expect without the stadium redevelopment.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Neithier dose continual happy clapping fingers in the ears though...

i wouldnt say im a happy clapper,far from it actually...i certainly dont wear blue tinted specs either,but if i think credit is due ill give it,just as equally if i think critiscism is needed ill give that in equal measures as well.

it is fair to say we have our fair share of members who like nothing else but to moan,and moan constantly,even when things are going reletively ok,that is what gets up peoples noses.

just like we have a fair few who wont have anything bad said against the club,and constantly praise even when they know all is not well.

that is what makes the board what it is,where you can have constructive debates of what should and shouldnt be done.

For your information Coco I attend around 25% of the games each season ok...and I have followed latics since I was about 10 years old and lived in Middleton. When I cant attend games due to cost or work committments then I follow them from home. Both my kids have been mascot for the club and if you tot up about 15 ferry fares, petrol for a trip of up to 600 miles return plus all the other costs I bet it adds up to a damn sight more than what you spend out.

Just because you live a 5 minute bus ride away does not make you a better of more credent supporter than myself ok. What really :censored:s me off is people like you who come on the forums and moan their freaking arse off day in and day out without having anything constructive to say ...Its just one long moan.

Sorry but it does, I respect you travelling up for games but I do watch more games than you and have more sense of whats going on.

If you really are fed up with the club then stop going. As I have said many do just do that and they show they walk away - What also pisses me right off is when due to my location if we are having a good run and a cup game comes up and its all ticket they all come flocking back and its a ruddy struggle for me to get a ticket cos the ''Good time Charlies'' are in the Q proclaiming their die hard allegence.

I am going to stop coming on such a regular basis.

And I am not defining Nik as a fairweather fan by any means Im just sad that he thinks hes had enough

Its times like this that the fans need to get behind the club not run away. I do not agree that the good times cannot come back. When JR first came to Boundary park Stottys first instructions were to sell players, there was no transfer fund and to fold the youth team.

The first few seasons he was in charge lets be honest he didnt set the world alight but he DID create an infrastructure that was fruitful and a youth set up that was the envy of many top flight clubs. Who says he cant do it again ? - Do you think hes forgotten how to ride the bike.

The past is the past, always referring is something that holds Latics back

I have said before that so much damage has been done that it may take 2/3 seasons to get it right and for us to be moving in the right direction.

I myself will continue to attend as many games as I can afford to - And buy what I can afford from the club shop even if its mail order. I just hope that the die hards will stick it out and give JR a chance to do something

I remember just prior to the great cup runs we had when we reached the semi final of the FA Cup and League cup final how average the gates were - As we progressed it became harder to get tickets. Bolton in the FA cup Quarter Final. Man United in the Semi Final. Southampton and West Ham in the Littlewoods Cup were particularly hard for fans like me to get tickets while the one game a season fans lined sheepfoot lane.

You say you are not goong to bother next season Coco then great .... if we DO get a decent cup run going (and ok we probably wont) I take it then you wont be running down to get a ticket...?

After having a season ticket for the last 10 years without fail I think i would be entitled to come and watch any big game I wanted too.

Speaking as somebody who's been a regular at BP for over thirty years, I am well aware of what happened in the period before the PL. For one thing, I noticed that we were comfortably holding our at a level of the game it now seems impossible for us to attain again. People like yourself might well be happy with endless lower divison mediocrrity, but the attendance figures reveal you to be a very small minority in and around Oldham. Compare the forthcoming season ticket sales to the first pre-season TTA were in charge when we had the open-air meeting at BP and all the talk was of promotion.

And while things might have looked worse at certain points in the past, I think you have to take into account the way the game has changed, particularly in its financial structure. We have been left behind, not least by other clubs in similar towns with all the same problems as Oldham, who seem to comfortably be able to achieve higher level football and modern facilities. I've said it before, but, like most of what I write on here, it's worth repeating: for a generation our natural local rivals were the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Preston and Burnley. Now they're Rochdale, Stockport, Bury, and Macclesfield even. And the sad thing is that a large percentage of the hardcore support has grown to expect and desire nothing else.

As often has to be repeated on here, thehalf-time speech by the club official at the Port Vale game made it more than clear that the club itself understands the kind of future we can expect without the stadium redevelopment.

Happy with lower division mediocrity - certainly not. Realistic enough to know that if we had achieved promotion this year, without significant investment on the pitch, then we would be back to what seems for now - our level - due to the way the game has changed.

The likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Preston and Burnley have had a far better investment and club infastructure over the last 15 years, than we could ever dare to dream - the only comparable club in your list is stockport. We are similar in terms of fan base, financial standing in the game and are probably both at the right level in terms of where each club is at.

If 15 years ago, we'd have had significant investment like your Blackburns, prestons etc...then we may have been holding our own in the division(s) above.

However, we didn't and are now just fortunate enough to have backers like TTA, who have kept the club afloat and put us in a short term financial safe future. Is that desiring nothing else? Or just a reality check at where the club is currently at? You decide Corp.

the trouble is though,that some on here and in general dont know anything other than to compare it with the glory days,because they didnt start following the club before then,or in some cases didnt start following us until well after those great days.

until joe came along the first time we had well and truly found our level,and was a selling club,even when joe took over at first he was instructed to sell,because the then regime wouldnt put money into the club as it needed it.

joe made his own funds by wheeling and dealing and wanting to play his style of football and how he thought the game should be played.he more than exceeded expectations,but once the big time came and we got up,then became members of the pl,the powers that be just saw pound note signs,and instead of ploughing that money back into the team and the club,they instead lined there pockets and reaped the rewards,leaving the football side to again fend for itsself.

had proper measures and infrastructures been put in place then,we may well have stayed in the premier league a lot longer than we did and set the club up for years to come.

the current situation is very bleak if you take the redevelopment out of the equasion,although we now have owners who want to do the right thing and build for the future,they cant because of the present economic situation.

if they was to walk away we would be in a bad way.

Happy with lower division mediocrity - certainly not. Realistic enough to know that if we had achieved promotion this year, without significant investment on the pitch, then we would be back to what seems for now - our level - due to the way the game has changed.

The likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Preston and Burnley have had a far better investment and club infastructure over the last 15 years, than we could ever dare to dream - the only comparable club in your list is stockport. We are similar in terms of fan base, financial standing in the game and are probably both at the right level in terms of where each club is at.

If 15 years ago, we'd have had significant investment like your Blackburns, prestons etc...then we may have been holding our own in the division(s) above.

However, we didn't and are now just fortunate enough to have backers like TTA, who have kept the club afloat and put us in a short term financial safe future. Is that desiring nothing else? Or just a reality check at where the club is currently at? You decide Corp.

The short-term financial safety is an illusion.

Falling gates, no prospect of the stadium redevelopment, week-by-week reliance on the generosity of three businessman with no connection to the town, the apathy of local business and the council...

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Do not confuse 'happy clapping' with a realistic/measured look on what is happening and the fact that this club has been and will be around for a damn sight longer than some of the fickle fools who follow it.

Not quite sure what your getting at... One persons realist is a happy clapper...another a doom monger...

You saying im a fickle fool ?

We were in no way comparable with minnows like Stockport in terms of fanbase only a relatively short time ago. True our average might have been consistently poor for the size of town, but even back in the old Third and Fourth divisions we could count on 15-18,000-plus turning out for big games. 20-odd thousand on occasion in the old second division and for cup games. Our fanbase has shrunk over the past fifteen years, for obvious reasons.

The trouble with this club is that it has an inferiority complex when compared to the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and Preston etc based solely on the fact that these clubs were successful many decades ago and that Latics naver had those days. (We were, having come later into professional football than those towns, in part due to being a rugby town as well, on our way to joining them before WW1 got in the way and decimated a squad that had finished top-flight runners-up and reached the FA Cup semi-final-something from which the club never really recovered.) Those clubs, after their glory days were over faced all the same problems that Latics had; their gates shrank to a comparable level to ours and have only recovered recently due to their achieving things at the right time-when they could benefit from the financial restructuring of the game. I overheard a Bolton fan (I think) making a fair point on Jimmy Wagg yesterday. He said that when the maximum wage was abolished, small-town clubs with limited catchment areas suffered at the expense of the big city clubs, but now that clubs are far less reliant on takings from the turnstiles, those small-town clubs who've managed to get themselves in a position where they benefit from the money from TV and league placings have a chance of not only breaking back into the big time but staying there.

The lack of foresight that saw us relegated from the Premier League at precisely the wrong time appears to have sealed the fate of professional football in this town. In late, out early?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The lack of foresight that saw us relegated from the Premier League at precisely the wrong time appears to have sealed the fate of professional football in this town. In late, out early?

Why? are the gates locked at BP now?

The rest of the post is spot on and precisely why I, like many other realise and understand and unfortunately have to accept the scenario we find ourselves in today. This is not being 'happy with failure' or a lack of wanting success, but a realistic look at where the club is, whilst still supporting them in the same way than we did 20 or so years ago, although finances and other comittments will dictate bums on seats along with performances on the pitch.

We are and should be very grateful for the job TTA have done so far and just hope that they will see their objectives realised and that this club can continue to survive and maybe 1 day flourish once more...

The first thing Joe needs to do if he stays is to get his coaching and scouting team in order,

A few signings who fit the bill with whats is required in this division will work wonders.

A big, hard target man is the top priority, followed by a strong attacking central midfielder, a goal poacher, an experienced left full back and maybe a towering cente back, (there's a good one I've seen in non league at Telford called Gavin Cowan - he's not young, but is an Andy Linighan/Andy Holden type and fits the bill perfectly, the problem here he has a good job and part time football suits him).

Bargain buys are out there, its up to the scouts to find them.

ffs lads were all latics fans cant we just get on?? we are all annoyed by how this season has panned out and hopefully joe can sort this!! when joe came back there was a buzz again around oldham on here everywhere there was latics fans there were smiles and fair joe aint done miricales yet but give him time!! if people are just going to moan about the game dont :censored:ing go simple!!!! it is frustrating but lets get behind the lads and who knws wt myt happen!! most of you who aint gettin a season ticket next season are moaning about a low budget ?? what do u expect when ur not selling tickets i have only respect for the TTA put alot of cash into and saved us from going under!!! pull ur fingers out stop moaning and get ur tickets bought !!!!!!!!!

First and foremost I'm not walking away. I'm a Latics fan and always will be. But now, after this season, I'm much more selective in games I'll go to from now on. Money and interest dictates. Lot of money, minimal interest.

I don't miss it anymore. I rarely check the scores when I'm not there. And I've never willed an opposition team to score against us. Until this season. The players and management have let us down. Badly. And this season will cost them.

We can put up with relegation dogfights. We've been at the bottom of this league having to win games to stay up. And we've done it. What the **** has happened this season to put in spineless performances, one after another. With promotion at stake!

If I could have this season again I think I'd prefer to be at the bottom. Because, history tells us with Latics, we get the response from the players. We make a fight out of it. We play with passion. We tend to win the must-win games. We show spirit and grit. This season, at the top, we've shown none of it. And due to this, with every passing game goes another fan out of the gates thinking they've had enough. The players aren't blind, nor numb, they can see the dwindling numbers and they're the ones who can address it. If they wanted.

The players and management have shown us nothing this season I'm afraid. It's been posted elsewhere that we'd be at the bottom if it wasn't for our start. And the lack of response from all has made the minds up of a lot of fans this season.

They play when they want. We'll turn up when we want.

And OK it's all about the patch of grass with goals at either end but the three sided future of the club just isn't appealing anymore. If there were shoots of potential then that would be different. But there isn't. The owners seem to be looking for a way out, who can blame them? They've backed us to the hilt, blindly at times, and for me they can do no more.

So this is us, we've found our level. After significant recent investment, more than many other 'smaller' clubs who've leapfrogged us, we've accepted defeat. We've settled at the lowest level and standard the club has been at in my lifetime. And because of that it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

E4e

CHORE

I don't have a problem with people being negative all the time. I'm as disillusioned as i've ever been with things at the club but I guess I will be there next season and the season after and the season after that, all in the blind hope we will eventually get out of this god awful division. The thing i don't like about the non stop moaning you get from some on here is that they don't actually offer any solutions to the clubs problems. It's all well and good copy and pasting the same argument and gripes into every post you make, but how about suggesting a way forward. We, the owtb posters, are a big part of the hardcore of support that keeps the club alive and what are we doing exactly to move the club forward?

We have non stop moaning about the club stagnating (and it is) but I see very little action to actually change it.