Big Joes Comments

What I am asking is, did Shez waste the money made available to him by TTA? I am not implying that TTA brought in the players. We all want to blame someone and Shez has copped alot of the blame so far. Is that justified, bearing in mind that it was him that put this squad together. Now Joe is making noises about breaking up said squad.

You have answered your own question... if Sheridan was solely reponsible for putting together this pile of steaming dung of a squad, well yes, of course he is to blame.

I dont hink Joe has done anything that 99% of fans wouldnt agree with - and hast been blatantly obvious for the entire season... ie. attempting to firm up the midfield, bring in more consistent goalkeeping, getting rid of Andy Liddell etc...

The more interesting discussing is the bit you dismissed which is how responsible Shez was for this.

hmm, who was it who was shot down on here 15 months ago, for his views on loans? now you cant find an advocate for them anywhere. obviously no one was wrong. obviously, no one ever said 'using the loan market is the way forward for clubs like us'. obviously, no one is ever wrong on here, then changes their mind and goes back and deletes old stuff. no one is that sad. saddo.

in my opinion yes,he wasted the cash,but he wasted it on needless loan signings when we already had players here that were of the same level,then loaned out to make room for these loan players.

on the nose ed.

sick of the loan system being used the way we've played it,especially when the likes of omerod et al turned up and it was obvious they just weren't going to improve the team...and thats the whole point of it isn't it?

2 years of yet again rebuilding and restructuring is on the cards...hey ho,i'm sooooo excited.

i love the frankness and straightforward comments....and i reckon the havin words to say the least is probably a bit like ferguson and his hairdryer treatment.

The difference being that Ferguson has the luxury of endless funds and a world class scouting sytem to rectify his problems. Our manager, whoever he may be come May, only has the option of swapping like for like.

bollox to comments...sick of hearing it after 34 years...

i ,amongst most want action...

glad joe sees problems,but i honestly believe the problems won't change until money is pumped into a new squad...QUALITY money,given to a quality manager...no sodding "i fancied him so bought him and introduced him to the manager" crap.

no money...no joe royle....

money(and i really mean QUALITY) available ,then it might be(MIGHT) interesting.

sick of this loan upon loan milarky.

my cash is in my pocket till i'm hopeful ..if TAAs won't pump in this type of money required,we will be treading this footpath for years to come.

haven't they seen and thought about the actions that bear fruits at peterboro and the dongs...back to back promotions too...i hope so..

do we want a "m**re maverick" type idiot?

no...but what this club needs is someone with HARD cash to get quality..no fecking playing the loan game again.

tried and very unsuccessful.

if the TTA can't do it,they need to think how they will achieve success..cause success is getting needed NOW, the hard core have had enough and dwindling.

35 years and counting..(thanks joe for those crazy years!)

till then.....

When TTA came we were told that financial prudence on the playing side of things was based on slowly building a capable squad under an experienced manager, with the long-term aim of financial independence brought by the redeveloped stadium enabling the addition of real quality in the future.

Instead, wild tampering with the playing squad year-on-year and knee-jerk populist managerial choices sees the plan, such as it ever existed, in absolute tatters.

The difference being that Ferguson has the luxury of endless funds and a world class scouting sytem to rectify his problems. Our manager, whoever he may be come May, only has the option of swapping like for like.

whats that got to do with his half time comments corp???

i was trying to say royle is of the same mould to a degree,and that a bloody good shout or rant at the right time is what this over payed cant be arsed lazy tossers need.

you cant compare the two clubs ffs.at the end of the day if the players cost next to nothing or 100 million pounds,if they played :censored: in the first half they would deserve a bolloking end of.

whats that got to do with his half time comments corp???

i was trying to say royle is of the same mould to a degree,and that a bloody good shout or rant at the right time is what this over payed cant be arsed lazy tossers need.

you cant compare the two clubs ffs.at the end of the day if the players cost next to nothing or 100 million pounds,if they played :censored: in the first half they would deserve a bolloking end of.

Nothing. But because a Latics manager only has the option of the farcial loan and free-transfer markets, nothing is so certain than he'll be saying something similar this time next year. Such players are available for nothing or unwanted at other clubs for a reason: they're crap.

The difference between the present and Joe's last reign is that back then Latics still had the ability to buy the odd player. No funds would have meant no Andy Ritchie, for example. Simple as that.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Trying to understand the nuances in your statemrnt... are you contradicting yourself by saying Shez actually wasted money on players which wouldnt paly for him or Joe, or are you implying that TTA brough in these players.... surely not :wink:

Don think you are too wrong with this list. Greegs will be offered another year at reduced terms, he has been awesome as the team fell apart around him... Lee has another year on his contract, and I think Joe likes him... have been impressed with his touch, despite him being incredibly unfit... have a feeling his game relies on having a bit of an engine on him - and playing an entire season without football has destroyed this. Eards seems to have transformed under Joe, and Ruubes will always be a decent defender at this level.

Have said before that I reckon there will be 8 new players in our starting 11. Greegs, Tayls and Eards will be the only ones who survive as first choice. With Allott, Lee and Ruubes there or thereabouts. Lewis and Smalley will still be here too, and as I said maybe DJ could be convinced to stay. I also like what I have seen of Westlake but we will see...

Reckon that retained list with Fleming is just about right although if Rubes hadn't signed that contract he could well have been on his way as he's been dreadful over the last few weeks. He could still be on his bike if someone would match his contract offer!!

What's really amazed me is that more than half of them have been playing for their futures, with a new manager and a clean slate they had the opportunity to make their mark but still don't seem to want to put a decent shift in!!

Judging by Royle's comments after the Brighton debacle the honeymoon period is well and truly over and it looks like there will be wholesale squad changes yet again.

Maybe he feels the job is too big, I hope not........... personally, with this lot, I wouldn't know where the hell to start!!!!!!

Does anyone else find it funny that when Shez was here, nobody was saying the squad was crap? Everyone was saying that this is the best squad we have had for years and its all Shez's fault that they arent playing well. Now everyone has changed their tune, and are saying he signed a crap squad.

With regards to Joe's comments at the start of the thread, its exactly what Shez was saying, except he got shed loads of abuse for saying it.

Does anyone else find it funny that when Shez was here, nobody was saying the squad was crap? Everyone was saying that this is the best squad we have had for years and its all Shez's fault that they arent playing well. Now everyone has changed their tune, and are saying he signed a crap squad.

With regards to Joe's comments at the start of the thread, its exactly what Shez was saying, except he got shed loads of abuse for saying it.

This is true. How did what was by general agreement on here the strongest squad seen at BP for many a year become a relegation outfit in the space of a few months?

Clearly, the problems at BP go deeper than the quality of player on the books.

This is true. How did what was by general agreement on here the strongest squad seen at BP for many a year become a relegation outfit in the space of a few months?

People wildly sweeping from comments saying we had a crap manager, crap players who need to be cleared out...from saying not making the play offs should of been out of the question...

Its all over the place...no consistancy in opinions...

Hang on a minute, Shez signed these players because he thought they would improve the overall quality of the squad. If I remember correctly, 'better quality' was his general overview of the Maher's, Whittaker's and O'Grady's he brought in.

We all bought in to this as part of the usual pre-season excitement. The fact that much of our transfer business was concluded early on gave us the impression that Shez had been decisive in the transfer market, in stark contrast to the previous year. Let's face it, we believed the hype and 6 games in it seemed for once that we may have been right to do so.

Looking back on a season of disappointment it turns out that the players brought in were, for one reason or another, not as good or effective as Shez and the fans thought they would be. Past exploits and reputations count for nothing after your umpteenth below-par performance in the blue shirt. It's as simple as that. As far as I'm concerned there isn't anything hidden in the shadows, regardless of how closely you may look. At most there was an overstatement of our chances by the manager and owners but heck, what's wrong with that, especially when you're trying to flog season tickets to a division-weary faithful?

QUOTE (dave_ragg1984 @ Apr 20 2009, 23:19 PM)

I am afraid I don't agree, I can remember posts in at the earliest in November saying we were flattering to decieve and a decent team would outplay us. And concerns that we would bottle it again.

But yes, there have been many throies esposed. I think becasue the drop in the players has been so alarming though.

Own personal view is some players bottled it (again), a few bad eggs, and the loans mrket not being used to its best, and the fact we stuck our neck out on quality strikers that did not perform-but maybe a bit more thought into how they had been performing before signign them. I think it was amixture of things, but we were unable to prevent the downwards spiral.

Edited by singe

Reckon that retained list with Fleming is just about right although if Rubes hadn't signed that contract he could well have been on his way as he's been dreadful over the last few weeks. He could still be on his bike if someone would match his contract offer!!

He'll be staying then. <_<