The Released and Retained Thread

I said at the time Maher was a waste of a signing and wage that should have gone on a centreback.

As for Wolfy and Stam, if they are offered deals it will be for pittances and they will there as back up. Stefan Stam as back up or a Seb Hines loan signing?

Yeah, I thought he's be a shoe-in to be one of the first names on the team sheet. Instead Allott and Casper were preferred. Shez panicked at 3-1 on the opening day, subbed Maher, Davies and O'Grady and all three never really got an extended run after that - pisspoor management from Sheridan if you ask me. Ok it worked on that day against 10 men, but we were quickly found out and by then he had loaned players in and out and cost us a real go at auto AGAIN!

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Allott will walk imo, he has previous form in trying to play hard ball,

Was that when he was here previously and had Gazza's manager at the time when football was experiencing the first flushes of the boom years? I think he has grown up a bit since and would realise that it isn't milk and honey at Chesterfield.

No need to overreact.

The OS now states that Wolfenden has been offered a "short term deal". I doubt that's going to break the bank.

Quote:

Two players, Mark Allott and Stefan Stam have meetings with the manager pencilled in for later this afternoon.

Matty Wolfenden, who is out of contract, has been offered a short term deal which he is currently thinking over.

Phew!!!!!

Very surprised at Wolfenden being offered a new deal. I thought after this present deal he was on he would be out. As for Stam as much as many fans like him, I think his sell by date is up. He's been good when fit but thats the problem, 'when fit'.

I'd imagine Wolfenden is on a very poor short-term deal and it's more 'the offer is there, but we won't stop you finding a new club'.

You mean that the world isn't ending like some would have us believe!? Damn! :lol:

@JSS - I have reason to believe that we (OAFC) were not paying Mahers wage this year and that may be the reason he's gone, out of our price range.

We signed Maher when he was out of contract didn't we, so I fail to see how anyone else could have been paying it.

We signed Maher when he was out of contract didn't we, so I fail to see how anyone else could have been paying it.

I hear - and of course this leads to sauce/source jokes and I don't want to start that :censored:e off again - that his wage was covered by a contribution from Wardle. This may be tosh. It's just how I understand the deal.

glad that wolfendens is only short-term. i too have a feeling allott will walk which will leave us needing 2 new centre mids unless penney sees one of Lee, Stephens or Whitaker as first choice.

If i'm honest, I hope he does, yes he gives his all but he's an average player with little in his locker. If I could I'd let Casper go as well - ok he chipped in with a few goals but most meant little. A couple of equalisers and the first V Stockport. The rest were icing on the cake or consolations. A team wanting to at least put up a top 10 challenge can do better than Allott and Whitaker.

A team wanting to at least put up a top 10 challenge can do better than Allott and Whitaker.

A team wanting to challenge wouldnt have an Allott or Whittaker in centre mid. Nevermind both of them.

Not suprised who's not been offered. Hope Wolfy doesnt accept and finally leaves the club. Pittance or no Pittance, that money could be put to better use

Guest sheridans_world

Wolfy is a good footballer. When the ball isnt being hoofed up field at him. At his feet he's great.l

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I'm beginning to think 20th will be a good result next year (not to set Rummy off again).

But we sacked a manager leading us to a fourth consecutive top 10 finish. This suggests the board see the playoffs as the very minimum requirement, even if many of us don't.

Yeah, I thought he's be a shoe-in to be one of the first names on the team sheet. Instead Allott and Casper were preferred. Shez panicked at 3-1 on the opening day, subbed Maher, Davies and O'Grady and all three never really got an extended run after that - pisspoor management from Sheridan if you ask me. Ok it worked on that day against 10 men, but we were quickly found out and by then he had loaned players in and out and cost us a real go at auto AGAIN!

Everyone said it was tactical genius at the time, Hindsights a wonderful thing!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I'm beginning to think 20th will be a good result next year (not to set Rummy off again).

Why? The season's not officially over until May 24th. Players are under contract until 30th June - said it before and i'll say it again, those that sign players too early regret it as more and more quality becomes available the longer the summer goes on, those who want excessive money are forced to re-evaluate their position come late July as they are at risk of not being fit for the season.

I fully expect DP to have most of his squad in place by 29th June. Last season we did a lot of early business, but Fleming and whitaker apart who played week in week out? That to me suggests that a fair few were signed for the hell of it!

Wolfy is a good footballer. When the ball isnt being hoofed up field at him. At his feet he's great.l

Given his injury problems though, I think short term deal, 3 months at a time, is fair.

If he proves his fitness, gets into the team and contributes, then consider a 12 month deal

I hear - and of course this leads to sauce/source jokes and I don't want to start that :censored:e off again - that his wage was covered by a contribution from Wardle. This may be tosh. It's just how I understand the deal.

no big shocks really....kalala was told last season to find a club,hughes is out of contract and expecting a massive pay day,so i wouldnt break the bank trying to convince him to stay,money can be spent more wisely i would of thought.

maher,although didnt really do a lot wrong when he got games,he never really set the world alight either,crossley had already gone and greegs yesterday.

allott could be kept as back us,but i dont think he would settle for that so i expect him to go as well,maybe follow shez somewhere,shame he couldnt replicate his first season back form this season.

stam...always prone to injury and mistakes and lapses of concentration,he has had a good try at it but not quite managed it,time to move on i think.

wolfy...if he can stay fit will contribute,but needs confidence and games,i dont have a problem offering him a 12 month deal on next to nothing.

again cant understand why people are up in arms at players going,they have been slagged off all season for basically taking the pish and claiming a wage for not giving anything back in return,they are not good enough no matter how much someone likes them,again i trust the new manager to bring in the correct players to replace these released,he cant really be critiscised until he starts bringing players in,and should only get critiscised if there no better than what we had.

time to move forward,not stagnate again.

Everyone said it was tactical genius at the time, Hindsights a wonderful thing!

Said at the time mate he was the luckiest manager alive that day, up until his panic substitutions we had offered very little. Probably the only time in 3 years managing the club he actually changed a game through subs and even then it was 'like for like'.

Given his injury problems though, I think short term deal, 3 months at a time, is fair.

If he proves his fitness, gets into the team and contributes, then consider a 12 month deal

Wolfy will benefit from regular reserve team football, he began to make an impact in 07/08, then the ressies were scrapped/ he got crocked and he struggled to find any sort of form. The club should give him the chance to try and rediscover his form of two years ago - at least at ressie level and then he has the chance of putting himself in the shop window.

To be honest, I am pretty happy with the players released.

I think that when people are saying Allott will leave, he played the most games out of anyone last season, and in my opinion the most consistant.

As for Hughes, too big for his boots. I wish him luck, but we can get a better forward than him.

And as for Stam, for me he can be a good solid player for us next season. With a bit of a run in the 1st team he will prove he is worthy of playing week in week out. With the reserve fixtures back on it should beasier to keep him fit.

Allott for captain next season.

I want to go to BP and watch 11 men be proud to put on the blue shirt and want to play well for the club.

KTF

Whilst I don't know a thing regarding how players are financed or indeed finances any of the clubs activities, it's interesting to hear that Wardle was involved somehow last season and news to me. Maybe he will still be involved this time around too despite the official line or was the Maher deal part of the kit package.

Anyway back on subject. Wolfy is taking on the Bosh persona with his ability to extract (the urine) contracts from this club. Still it's only deemed short term which if I was to hazard a guess means 3 months to prove yourself. Trouble with Wolfy is this, he does know where the net is and can actually deliver, but only given the right circumstances for it to happen and the happenings aren't the norm! It sorta like food, the aroma smells lovely and gives you enough to want to taste the food, it hits the first taste bud and it's nice but doesn't linger to savour, nor does it pass your lips again in ages and so you ain't quite sure. Anyway after all that crap about food................... just get rid!

Stam and Allott I read it as meaning they just haven't had the word yet. Stam your gone and Allott hurry up or you'll be in the same taxi. So to all the gun jumpers, pull ya necks in.

The squad is down to the bare bones now and Penney as in any sense of the term a clean slate on which to work.

Edited by Lags