The Released and Retained Thread

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we move any under contract players on ie O'Grady, Lomax and Whittaker?

wouldn't be at all surprised.

generate maximum cash flow in our direction,so penney has maximum support from the board.

whittaker -free in..can go for free..pay him off-not up to it.

o'grady..2nd year in a 2 year deal(?) see how he fares early in season,if not,ship him out on loans again.

lomax-will benifit with a stiffs team this season,as will wolfy.

Said at the time mate he was the luckiest manager alive that day, up until his panic substitutions we had offered very little. Probably the only time in 3 years managing the club he actually changed a game through subs and even then it was 'like for like'.

Panic? When Mourinho recognises it isn't working and changes three at half-time is he panicing too?

If you want to get on his back there are better opportunities than the day he changed 3 players at 3-1 down and won the game 4-3, courtesy of a well worked training ground set-piece. With hindsight it was probably the highlight of the season.

Jesus....

Funny old game, I liked the look of Westlake, came in to a struggling side that had just been knocked for 6, lost the manager and under an old Messiah. He looked full of energy and could play in a variety of positions before getting a dodgy noggin. I would've kept him on if he wasn't asking for too much cash.

Whilst I don't know a thing regarding how players are financed or indeed finances any of the clubs activities, it's interesting to hear that Wardle was involved somehow last season and news to me. Maybe he will still be involved this time around too despite the official line or was the Maher deal part of the kit package.

Anyway back on subject. Wolfy is taking on the Bosh persona with his ability to extract (the urine) contracts from this club. Still it's only deemed short term which if I was to hazard a guess means 3 months to prove yourself. Trouble with Wolfy is this, he does know where the net is and can actually deliver, but only given the right circumstances for it to happen and the happenings aren't the norm! It sorta like food, the aroma smells lovely and gives you enough to want to taste the food, it hits the first taste bud and it's nice but doesn't linger to savour, nor does it pass your lips again in ages and so you ain't quite sure. Anyway after all that crap about food................... just get rid!

Stam and Allott I read it as meaning they just haven't had the word yet. Stam your gone and Allott hurry up or you'll be in the same taxi. So to all the gun jumpers, pull ya necks in.

The squad is down to the bare bones now and Penney as in any sense of the term a clean slate on which to work.

someone is hungry :D

To be honest, I am pretty happy with the players released.

I think that when people are saying Allott will leave, he played the most games out of anyone last season, and in my opinion the most consistant.

As for Hughes, too big for his boots. I wish him luck, but we can get a better forward than him.

And as for Stam, for me he can be a good solid player for us next season. With a bit of a run in the 1st team he will prove he is worthy of playing week in week out. With the reserve fixtures back on it should beasier to keep him fit.

Allott for captain next season.

I want to go to BP and watch 11 men be proud to put on the blue shirt and want to play well for the club.

KTF

My sentimentals exactly....

BRILLIANT!!!!

Stam's injury/error prone and cant head a ball more than 5 yards

And Wolfenden.... jesus....Reminds me of when you were at school and the kid from 1st year used to play football with the older lads, but just chased the ball round the pitch all day, not get a touch and get pushed here there and everywhere... I dont understand how he can be offered even a short term deal??

BRILLIANT!!!!

Stam's injury/error prone and cant head a ball more than 5 yards

And Wolfenden.... jesus....Reminds me of when you were at school and the kid from 1st year used to play football with the older lads, but just chased the ball round the pitch all day, not get a touch and get pushed here there and everywhere... I dont understand how he can be offered even a short term deal??

Hazel, Gregan.....they all drop clangers

Panic? When Mourinho recognises it isn't working and changes three at half-time is he panicing too?

If you want to get on his back there are better opportunities than the day he changed 3 players at 3-1 down and won the game 4-3, courtesy of a well worked training ground set-piece. With hindsight it was probably the highlight of the season.

Jesus....

He didn't change it at half-time he changed it with 20 minutes to go after we'd gone 3-1 down and you tell me when else during his 3 years in charge Sheridan's :censored: like for like substitutions worked?

Edited by oafcprozac

wolfy is a joke - he just hasnt got it.

He has the ball to feet and gets muscled off it, on the chest and its out for a throw, sorry but hes been 'coming good next year' since he was 17, hes now 22 ffs!!

Alessandra shows more potential than him, just go wolfy. The rest are no suprise, maher was a top earner around 2k a week, dont rate him at all, for all his experience he cant pass it very well, no pace, backwards or sideways, cant tackle or shoot - Allott over him any day.

out of the remaining squad id expect possibly whitaker and o'grady to be moved on, although may be kept on as squad players.

we shall see

so far - NICE ONE DAVE!!

I hear - and of course this leads to sauce/source jokes and I don't want to start that :censored:e off again - that his wage was covered by a contribution from Wardle. This may be tosh. It's just how I understand the deal.

Even if that is so the club was still effectively paying him. Just an unusual form of sponsorship.

This is based on the assumption that Wardle didn't insist his money was spent on Maher.....

He didn't change it at half-time he changed it with 20 minutes to go after we'd gone 3-1 down and you tell me when else during his 3 years in charge Sheridan's :censored: like for like substitutions worked?

Always makes me laugh when the tactical decisions of a guy who played over 600 professional league games are derided as ":censored:" by a fan. Pathetic.

I know - makes it an even more inspired decision.....and less 'panicky' than a half-time one too.

If there are no other example of good substitutions then why not select one of the poor ones to criticise him over?

I know - makes it an even more inspired decision.....and less 'panicky' than a half-time one too.

If there are no other example of good substitutions then why not select one of the poor ones to criticise him over?

how about starting a new thread "our last managers downfalls" or something and leaving this thread for what its supposed to be for....just a thought like,lol

Always makes me laugh when the tactical decisions of a guy who played over 600 professional league games are derided as ":censored:" by a fan. Pathetic.

He might have played 600 games, I've watched going on for double that over the last 24 years and I know ineffective like for like substitutions that make no difference against well organised managers that have already worked us out a week before we play them. Just because he played 600 games and played in two world cups does not make him a good manager. Ask Bryan Robson etc blah, blah fooking blah!

when else did it work? Or when else did he have the bollocks to make such a bold move?

Stefan Stam is a quality player - the season before this he proved it by putting in the majority of the year alongside Hazell who (while beastly and passionate) is not great as a footballer or defender, and yet together the pair of them were the real success story of our season. They kept the defence tight, and it was really our lack of goals that cost us then - so why is all this forgotten after a season in which he's hardly had a run of two games together?

The only things the mighty Stam lacks are; a real physical edge (but if you can put him next to a meathead then he can use his quality on the ball to best effect) and he isn't vocal and dominant enough.

Similar story here to the Eardley one - good player for some reason hated by fans who don't know a footballer when they see one.

Stefan Stam is a quality player - the season before this he proved it by putting in the majority of the year alongside Hazell who (while beastly and passionate) is not great as a footballer or defender, and yet together the pair of them were the real success story of our season. They kept the defence tight, and it was really our lack of goals that cost us then - so why is all this forgotten after a season in which he's hardly had a run of two games together?

The only things the mighty Stam lacks are; a real physical edge (but if you can put him next to a meathead then he can use his quality on the ball to best effect) and he isn't vocal and dominant enough.

Similar story here to the Eardley one - good player for some reason hated by fans who don't know a footballer when they see one.

I'd keep Stam, when he's on form he's a class apart, unfortunately you have to play games to gain that form. That has always been Stammy's problem and the reason he can look so off the pace at times. However, we've been saying that for 4 1/2 seasons and the most games he has played in that time were down to Greegs' injurt in 07/08.

We signed Greegs to cover Stam's injury initially. This came at the time Stam was by far our best player.

Spot on mate, up until his injury at Cheltenham he had been magnificent and shown us all just how good he could be, Will Haining alongside him ahd done well too.