The Released and Retained Thread

It isn't about how good he is. The decision was clearly based on money. Doesn't matter if you have one very good CB. You will still concede goals as we have seen. The cash needs to be spread about the squad.

I edited my post to say it was probably down to the budget...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Windass was (still is until the season officially ends) on £3,000 a week.

I know you might have a decent source Diego, but the moment Windass went Awol and refused to play for us at Millwall the club had him over a barrel - namely he was in breach of contract. I'd be surprised if he's had sod all off us since February/March. It took us a while to get rid but I know we exploited that contractual loophole.

I said to my mate after he text me the news that Greegs was being released that I thought Stam would then be offered a deal. I guessed budget reasons would dictate the decision of which CB to release; looks for all the world that Stammy is going to be offered a new deal; as he is the cheaper option by far.

As someone said earlier, the Greegs decision will have been made after a lot of consideration; probably formed from a list of pro’s & cons - a list of pro’s such as his experience, his leadership, his performances this season & over his Latics career, his influence on the dressing room, his report from Joe etc….Vs the main 2 ‘con’s’, these surely would have been his age & his wage.

Maher, Hughes, Kalalla, & Greegs were on a decent wedge for this level between them – and now they are off the books; it frees up their wages to be put towards the wages of other players DP actually wants at the club.

Right or wrong as it is; Stam will be on a lot less wages than Greegs; a lot; lot less!! So, if he is to be offered, say a fresh 1 year deal – I would wager that it will be as a squad player; not a 1st team regular & will be priced accordingly; as I say – he’s the cheaper option by a mile.

Player wise; we can speculate on here all we want in terms of the players DP is tracking / will look to bring in – but the reality is that there will be over 1000+ players out of work this summer from across the leagues & as such it is nigh on impossible to predict who will be brought in. There will be a lot of players, young & old, of varying abilities & from varying footballing backgrounds who will be desperate to get fixed up with a club by next seasons first game – know-one likes being out of work do they? As a result; players who may have been out of our league quality & wage wise may be within reach if they are prepared to lower their expected wages to get themselves fixed up with the security of a job for 1 or 2 years…….we may have a few surprises over the coming months with the in-coming players??

In Penney & the Board we have to trust!!

KTF

Hughes- Good player, but he knows it and with us having saved his career, a little, is now wanting more money than we are willing to pay, or a higher standard of football.

Maher- Decent player but is expensive and I don't think he ever settled in the area (see his reaction with Southend). Could have done a job for us but needed the right sort of player alongside him.

Kalala- OK nowt special did what he did quite well but was :censored: at any thing else.

Out of these players all of them will be playing pro football next season- we shall see where they end up and how much they play. I can see Hughes going up to the Championship, Maher staying in our division (down south) and Kalala ending up back at League 2. Football is not always about performance or cost its about value for money. All of the above players were expensive in those terms (Hughes wasn't but he would have been next year). We can find players capable of doing similar jobs for cheaper.

Now with Stam and Wolfy does anyone else know any good centre halfs who are sitting on the bench for their clubs in our division? I doubt it, Stam is what he is a good player but needs to stay injury free but I doubt he is costing the earth and so is good value for money. He will be a squad player no more- but with those sort of players you don't want to be paying that much (and I doubt we will be) and so there is little point us spending money on scouting/wages/transfer fee for a replacement centre half when we have one already.

Wolfy is a similar story he is dirt cheap and not that good but depending on the people we are playing (and who they are playing alongside) I'd be tempted to play him instead of Smalley, Taylor and Alessandra up front as at least he knows where the goal is. He is our fox in the box who would probably have put away a lot of chances other people missed last year. Due to his size he is never going to be first choice and the other aspects of his game (a little bit like Kalala) are :censored: and so we play the likes of Alessandra and Smalley instead of him but given the right service and the right partner he is good enough to be worth keeping.

Someone has already hit the nail on the head who would you rather have, the likes of Ormerod/Hines or Wolfy and Stam?

Allot is similar to Maher really but he has the advantage of being settled in the area (I'm fairly certian he didn't move when he was playing for Chesterfield). I doubt he is on mega bucks (certainly not as much as Maher) but if you can find someone cheaper who is as good, you should be managing the team not doing whatever it is you do. Bearing in mind that with new players you always run the risk of them being good enough but upsetting the balance/morale of the team so not being worth it (ala Windass).

As for those players who are still under contract we should only sell them if we can get a fee and given there are a lot of free transfers knocking about I doubt we will get a fee. One squad player I would definately be keeping though is Lomax as if Eardley stays fit and suspension free he will still be called up into Wales squads. Eardley will probably only play 38 games most a season and we need someone to play right back when he can't and Lomax although not as good as Eardley is as good as a lot of first choice right backs in this division. Plus judging by what some of you were saying- although I suspect some of those people advocating for us to release Lomax were also advocating for him to play instead of Eardley until Neal got recognition- is better than Eardley. Lomax is also a capable left back- he is not as good there as others but he is more than capable of doing a job. If we got rid of Lomax we would probably need to get a replacement right back and a replacement Left back so that's 2 wages. We are getting two players for the price of one in Lomax (and I doubt he is earning a lot) so lets keep him shall we.

In summary my post can be summed up with the knowledge that Yeovil made a profit (without selling big name players or having a cup run) in a year we made a loss with doing both of those. We are in exactly the same position and although Yeovil have struggled for two years in a row if I was a chairman of a football club I'd rather my team finished 17th and made £20k than finsihed 7th and lost £500k. At this level, in this economic climate, football is about value for money and these decisions reflect that.

just to say,at this moment in time,it says nothing about stam offered a contract,only that he is to be seen by penney later day.

he may just as well be told the same as the other departed...time will tell.

I'm only guessing but I think Stammy may be offered a new contract. If he was being told to put his boots in a Tesco bag and clear off, then I think he would have been told with the rest this morning.

I know you might have a decent source Diego, but the moment Windass went Awol and refused to play for us at Millwall the club had him over a barrel - namely he was in breach of contract. I'd be surprised if he's had sod all off us since February/March. It took us a while to get rid but I know we exploited that contractual loophole.

My source (not the proved-to-be-very-reliable :sauce: ) told me about Windass's continuing wages at the Orient game, a month after Millwall.

My source (not the proved-to-be-very-reliable :sauce: ) told me about Windass's continuing wages at the Orient game, a month after Millwall.

Did (s)he tell you £3,000pw? Only That's what he's on on FootballManager and it might just be someone giving the old 2+2=5 a run out...?

There are many theories surrounding stories from sources. The truth is out there!

:lol:

Indeed it is mate. Wasn't being akward, just that these things can often be passed on and on and on and suddenly an assumption is a fact you know.