Hughes as two more seasons in him at the lower leagues level. If it's Leicester he'll need a good front partner and service. Given he missed three seasons wear on the body should have helped him prolong his career but the bottle will see to that. I wish him well where he goes in footballing terms but he really isn't a smart cookie.

Edited by Lags

who cares, no longer a latic !! hope he finds it difficult wherever it is, felt he took the club for fools, used us to help him and im sure it should have been him helping the club.

He never agreed to sign though, he openly said he wanted one more pay day so I doubt he took us for fools

who cares, no longer a latic !! hope he finds it difficult wherever it is, felt he took the club for fools, used us to help him and im sure it should have been him helping the club.

Of course he used us to help him. But lets be honest we didnt sign him on some sort of moral mission, we signed him to score goals for us. Reality is he needed a club to take a chance on him, but IMO we saw it as a chance of picking up a good quality striker for free. Thanks Lee now its time to part company

Of course he used us to help him. But lets be honest we didnt sign him on some sort of moral mission, we signed him to score goals for us. Reality is he needed a club to take a chance on him, but IMO we saw it as a chance of picking up a good quality striker for free. Thanks Lee now its time to part company

Spot on. the majority of the people now slating him were all to happy to sing Hughesy every time he got near the ball, so now he has decided that his time at oldham is over, let him go and wish him the best. If it wasnt for his goals at the beginning of this season, then we would have been looking at League 2. I say he did his bit, scored enough goals to warrant a better team than us and is good enough to play at a higher level

disagree about the ability to play at a higher level, he found it tough at the donkey lashers and was put on the bench more than he would have liked, i will however agree about chanting his name at every opportunity, what i didnt know at the time were his reasons for pulling on the blue and white shirt, he was towards the end, lazy, smug and a bit of a fool, yes he scored goals but isnt that you would expect off a player that has brought in £8 million in transfer fees? I know there is no loyalty left in football these days, but.......... he was heading no-where fast until we took a gamble, and it was a gamble on him, I personally and foolishly thought he would have repaid that faith by signing another contract back in January, i will be surprised if Leicester sign him, i think he will end up back in this league with us, cant imagine the reception he would get back here though..... Finally , the game of football is greater than any player, we have fond memories of Hughsey and il cherish them, he unfortunately left the club under a cloud of controversy and brought this clubs promotion charge to a grinding halt...Cheers Lee

Yep. If gossip is to be believed he's slipped back into his old ways a little. Sad really, because he's lethal at this level and given a bit better quality service he'd have scored a few more too.

I wish him no ill, and he put a smile on my face sometimes with the odd on-field antic. He owes us nothing and has repaid us for giving him his chance by scoring goals. We got a proven, good-quality goalscorer on the cheap and it's time for him to move on.

I just wish I'd have not overslept for that Millwall away game last season.

Yep. If gossip is to be believed he's slipped back into his old ways a little. Sad really, because he's lethal at this level and given a bit better quality service he'd have scored a few more too.

I wish him no ill, and he put a smile on my face sometimes with the odd on-field antic. He owes us nothing and has repaid us for giving him his chance by scoring goals. We got a proven, good-quality goalscorer on the cheap and it's time for him to move on.

I just wish I'd have not overslept for that Millwall away game last season.

This is how I feel about him completely, however I made it to that game :wink:

I know there is no loyalty left in football these days, but.......... he was heading no-where fast until we took a gamble, and it was a gamble on him

I believe he had choices other than Oldham Athletic.

Latics found a way to get a Championship quality striker on a free transfer and a relatively low wage.

Latics agreed a timescale for his loyalty - a 2 year contract. He honoured it.

It was a business decision that suited Latcis and Hughes.

he unfortunately left the club under a cloud of controversy and brought this clubs promotion charge to a grinding halt...
It had already ground to a halt.

He won't be on gods little acre week in week out any more, thank god.

Can we shout 'murderer' at him yet?

Derek.

Edit: Where do people get the idea that he was championship quality?

In my mind, if he was really championship quality he would have had a 25 plus return. You know a little bit like championship quality Jermaine Beckford et al.

He was an ordinary 3rd division striker with an extra-ordinary amount of baggage tagging alongside him. He got us column inches like nothing since the early nineties, but everything else surrounding him was a farce.

I am glad to be shot of him.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

Agree with Mr Shankly and opinions4u. He didn't shaft us; we paid wages to get a quality striker without paying a transfer fee. He scored plenty of goals.

Yes, the team played poorly in the second half of this season, but it wasn't Hughes' fault alone. To claim that he singlehandedly halted our promotion charge is patently ridiculous.

I feel completely ambivalent about Hughes now. We both did reasonably well out of the deal. Time to move on.

We were under no illusions when we signed Lee Hughes. A man with a very dubious past, but who was signed to score goals, and that he did. Hughes' record is pretty immense and I'd be as bold to suggest that he is the most natural finisher that we have had for at least 10 years including the turncoat Porter. Unlike Porter, Hughes never really did us over.

I think a lot of Latics fans need a bit of perspective. We've been in League One for a good while and players with ambition will inevitably want to play at a higher standard and fair play to them who wouldn't? The gulf between the Premiership and the Championship is enormous and the gulf between the Championship and League One is even larger.