8 or 9 arrivals over summer

youth players making the regular step up to the reserves is a good thing no?

When it happened before the Reserves lost most games and the team was scrapped. I don't want to be negative and I'm happy to wait to see what happens, hoping it's a recipe for success.

When it happened before the Reserves lost most games and the team was scrapped. I don't want to be negative and I'm happy to wait to see what happens, hoping it's a recipe for success.

Tbh Diego the only way a small club like ours can afford to run a second string team would be to pad it out with the 'yoofs' we've always done that in all reality. As long as it isn't completely made up of th e kids we'll be ok and it should be good for their development. Don't forget the four 'yoofs' given deals are all pros now so should be playing in the stiffs and I would expect players such as stephens and Wolfy to get their fair share of run outs (if the latter stays)

Not really Nelson wouldnt have been on much at Hartlepool, Clarke would have been on a bit but we could realistically approach him

Dean, Nelson was probably Hartlepool's highest earner given his length of service and how influential he was.

I'm not convinced that the ripping up of the squad is a particularly good idea; it hasn't worked for us before when we've brought in large numbers of players over the summer.

Absolutely gutted at the loss of the Staminator - that man was a legend and on the sly a quality player when fit. Bit confused as to how we're going to play high quality football when we're releasing footballing centre-halves of the calibre of Stam and Gregan, but we'll see what we get in I guess.

The only hope I have is that we'll build on the elements already in place at the club - and if we bring in "8 or 9" first-teamers then I can't see how that can be. A centre-half, a centre-forward, a winger and a reserve keeper would give us a useful team and squad for next year, with probably a left-back needed unless Black is going to be good enough. That is 5 - where are the other 3 going to fit into the squad unless more leave?

Goalkeeper

Left back

Centre back (Gregan replacement)

Centre back (Stam replacement/competition for Hazell)

Central midfield (Allott replacement)

Central midfield (Maher replacement/competition for Whitaker)

Winger (to balance Taylor)

Striker (Hughes replacement)

And possibly a second striker. Eight or nine players.

Edited by Crusoe

Dean, Nelson was probably Hartlepool's highest earner given his length of service and how influential he was.

Doesnt mean he is on that much cos he might be Hartlepools top earner though does it.

Id definately take both of them but as someone said the competition is a bit strong for us!

The only hope I have is that we'll build on the elements already in place at the club - and if we bring in "8 or 9" first-teamers then I can't see how that can be. A centre-half, a centre-forward, a winger and a reserve keeper would give us a useful team and squad for next year, with probably a left-back needed unless Black is going to be good enough. That is 5 - where are the other 3 going to fit into the squad unless more leave?

I would add another forward to that list, because as it stands we haven't really got anybody ready for a full season. Also we need to look at midfield.

I'm not convinced that the ripping up of the squad is a particularly good idea; it hasn't worked for us before when we've brought in large numbers of players over the summer.

Absolutely gutted at the loss of the Staminator - that man was a legend and on the sly a quality player when fit. Bit confused as to how we're going to play high quality football when we're releasing footballing centre-halves of the calibre of Stam and Gregan, but we'll see what we get in I guess.

Bringing only 4 players in during the summer will see us in a relegation battle

to be honest im not convinced keeping the same players and hoping a new manager could get em playing would be the good idea some suggested.

the only reasonable thing to be done was this cull of players,they may have been decent over the last couple of years,but they flattered to decieve and showed exactly that they havent got the bottle when the going got tough.

blank sheet of paper and start again,we dont know who will be coming in,but i hope if mr pennys track record is anything to go by,we get decent hard working players who wont go hiding and are up for a fight.

they dont stand a chance when they do get here,we havent signed anybody yet and there already getting bad press!!!

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1658597,00.html

Im pretty pleased with this. We certainly need them but i didn't think it would be as many of this. Wonder if this includes loan players.

lets hope there not league two players or non league players who are meant to compete in league one, or else we maybe relegation fodder.

lets hope there not league two players or non league players who are meant to compete in league one, or else we maybe relegation fodder.

Like the Peterborough team?!

Lets just give him a chance. I'd rather see players on the way up rather than on the way down.