The OWTB Recipe Thread

You know, we don't all live in a Victorian mindset where "Tea's always on't table when ah get home from work" do we? Do we?

Post some quick, easy and tasty recipe's here. I want something cheap and easy when I get home from work but taste's the business too. In other words, I've had too many takeaways last week and want to realign my ying and yang this week.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6175/pr...peanut-dressing

Piece of the proverbial and tastes amazing. Not recommended if you're allergic to nuts.

Mmm. Looks proper easy that. I usually have tiger prawns in the freezer too as I buy them in a frozen slap from the chinese supermarket for about a fiver every now and again.

I'll kick off with my input, something which I cobbled together with stuff left over out in Spain a couple of weeks ago:

Pasta Con Jamie.

Load of pasta (anything like penne, farfalli etc will be fine)

3 or 4 tomatoes sliced into chunks

Chopped Chorizo

Pancetta/ham

2 eggs

ordinary mushrooms halved and quartered

Balsamic Vinegar

salt and pepper to season

Couple of handfuls of rocket

- Cook your pasta in a fairly large pot

- While that's cooking, heat a frying pan up with a bit of olive oil and throw in ingredients in this order: 1. mushrooms 2. Tomatoes 3. Chorizo 4. few splashes of Balsamic and then fry so it all cooks through and slightly caramelises. (I didn't use onions but I guess I'd throw onions in as well along with the mushrooms if you've got any).

- Drain the pasta and combine with the fried stuff in the large pot mixing well.

- Crack 2 eggs and chuck in the pot mixing up well. The residual heat will cook your eggs in with the pasta. This is optional; you don't really need to use eggs but I like to as it gives you a wonderful aftertaste and they've loadsa protein.

- Add rocket and mix in so the residual heat wilts the rocket

- Pan fry your pancetta/ham so it crisps up then lay on top or cut into bits and sprinkled.

- Lastly season with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of balsamic to taste once you've plated it up.

Yeah, I'll check that out.

I was kinda hoping people post ones they've actually tried here using simple, everyday ingredients. Nyom nyom nyom!

I hope so too, as my cooking skills are mediocre at best so it would be good to have some ideas to work with. Rummy's lady made some ace spuds, just cut in half, perfect for a BBQ side, easy and quick! ... but he's still not told me what she did ... must be a family secret or something!?

Very hot pan, quickly fry some shallot (or a bit of onion), garlic, ginger and a little bit of veg (pepper, carrot maybe). Reserve.

Piece of salmon into the frying pan (hot but not as hot).

Make cous cous (easiest thing in the world, stir boiling water and cous cous together)

Stir veggy peppery stuff into cous cous

Squeeze lemon juice into cous cous

Spread a bit of balsamic onto salmon

Put on plate

Eat

Done in 10 minutes, really tasty, highly impressive to birds.

EDIT forgot to say you can serve it with some creme fraiche with chopped corriandor if you want to put the finishing touch.

Edited by leeslover

I hope so too, as my cooking skills are mediocre at best so it would be good to have some ideas to work with. Rummy's lady made some ace spuds, just cut in half, perfect for a BBQ side, easy and quick! ... but he's still not told me what she did ... must be a family secret or something!?

Ah, you'll probably be interested in the perfect jacket spud recipe, which anyone can do.

1 spud

sea or crushed rock salt

olive oil

1. Prick the spud with a fork all over.

2. Put the spud in the microwave for about 2 or 3 minutes to slightly soften it.

3. Rub the spud first with olive oil and then with the salt (This sucks moisture out of the skin).

4. Put spud in middle of oven on about 200C for something like 50 mins to an hour.

There you go, a perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside jacket sput.

Ahh yeah, cheers for that recipe Andy. Sounds super.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Ah, you'll probably be interested in the perfect jacket spud recipe, which anyone can do.

You're more patient than I am.

1 Spud.

1 bit of oil

1 bit of sea salt

1. a. Nuke spud (poked with fork) 5mins on one side and 5mins on t'other

1. b. Preheat over for the above 10mins on GM7

2. oil and salt spud

3. Oven for 10 minutes on oven-rack (no tray, so you don't have to turn it over)

Done.

Part 2:

Pop quite a few cloves of garlic into a cup of boiling water. Core and slice apples into wedges , about 8ths unless they are big ones. Fry in butter for 5 minutes. Reserve.

Fry chicken breast (well seasoned) for 5 minutes each side. Mash up garlic into a paste.

Add apples with garlic back into pan. Turn heat up for a minute.

Pour in cider. Boil to reduce to about a quarter of starting volume

Add cream and stir.

Serve with mashed or crushed spuds and your choice of veg (green beans/asparagus/ etc)

Eat.

The one thing I claim to be able to do well. Can be a bit hit and miss with timings (I'm not an observant cooker, I just do it and see what happens) so pay attention as you're cooking.

For:

Side dish at BBQ, great to go with home made burgers.

Need:

1. Bag of baby spuds

1. Spray oil (not the aerosol one, but the pressured canister... you can use normal oil from a bottle, but this makes things easier and I'm a lazy cook)

1. Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Chili powder (any other seasoning you may like to try)

Do:

1. a. Cut spuds into wedges and boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes. Until soft but still able to hold their shape.

TIP: Leave skins on, try to create spuds that are equal in size for best cooking. I also try to only cut them in half as this gives a topside of crisp skin but of soft underside of flesh.

1. b. Preheat oven during this time to GM7 or 8

2. Cover baking tray in spray oil and a hearty coating of pepper, paprika and chili powders. Drain spuds, place on tray and spread out evenly. Respray them with oil and place another hearty coating of Pepper, Paprika and Chili on top of them.

4. Place on medium-to-high shelf in oven for about 40 minutes, or until crisp on the topside.

Done.

One of the few things I know I can rely on myself to make well. If you have tips on how to improve I'm wiling to listen!

Another simple meal.

Chicken breast

Mushrooms

Tomatoes

Shallots

Small tin of sweetcorn

Pasta

Garlic

Red pesto

Tomato rupee

Balsamic vinegar

Chop the Mushrooms in slices

The toms into slices one way then the other

Same for the shallots

Finely chop the garlic

Chop the chicken breast length ways then width ways

Stick the pasta on

Fry up the shallots till they start to brown

Whack in the toms

Salt & Pepper

Dash of balsamic

When the toms have gone a bit soft add the chicken and a bit of garlic

Cook until the chicken is nearly cooked

Add the sweetcorn

Mushrooms and rest of the garlic

Check the chicken is cooked all the way through but still moist

Add a good squirt of tomato purée and 2-3 generous teaspoons of pesto, perhaps a bit more balsamic and if you have it a bit of Lea and Perrins

Turn off the heat

Drain the pasta and put back in the pan

Introduce the stuff in the frying pan to the pasta, give it a good mix

Serve.

Herb crusted fish:

Piece of white fish (cod, haddock etc)

Breadcrumbs

Lemon juice

Chopped Fresh Parsley

Butter

Mix Breadcrumbs, lemon juice, Parsley and butter together

Slap on top of the fish

Whack it in the oven for 20-25 mins.

Alternatively you can use salmon with dill instead of parsley

Serve with a big dollop of mash and green beans tossed with fried onions, parsley, butter and chopped garlic.

Done!

Pan Cooked Chicken with Asparagus, Pancetta and Olives

15-20 mins
Ingredients

* In Italy they use olives instead of salt, as they give a gentle seasoning, perfume and meatiness to dishes.
* 1 chicken breast supreme, skin removed
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Olive oil
* 3 slices smoked pancetta
* 8 medium-sized spears asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
* 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
* 5 kalamata olives, stones left in
* Handful basil leaves
* Small knob unsalted butter
* Splash white wine

Directions

Slice the chicken into 3 finger size pieces, but ensure that you keep it as 1 piece (fan it out). This will help to cook the chicken much faster. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a medium-sized frying pan, add some oil, and brown the chicken on all sides. Place the pancetta on top of the chicken and the asparagus around it, let it char a little, then put the pancetta on the bottom of the pan to crisp up and turn the chicken over. Turn up the heat, throw in the tomatoes, olives, basil, and a good knob of butter. Take off the heat once the butter has melted and add a splash of wine to make a sauce, squishing in a few of the tomatoes to finish it off.

or if you want in less than 10 mins

Southwestern Chicken

Ingredients

* 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
* Salsa
* lime juice

Directions

Flatten chicken breasts by placing them between plastic wrap and pounding with mallet or bottle. Rub garlic and juice of lime over flattened breasts. Place on grill or in cast iron pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Top with cheese and cover to melt. Serve topped with salsa and sour cream.

Serve on a bed of Mushroom rice .....

King Prawns in a chilli, garlic and tomato sauce:

Thinly Slice a red chilli (removing seeds for less heat if preferred)

Thinly Slice or crush a clove of garlic

Slice a red pepper

Add both to a frying pan containing olive oil, fry for a minute or so.

Add king prawns and red pepper, fry for a few minutes

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes,heat through

Serve with pasta with a little cheese grated on top.

Couldn't be easier!

• 1 month later...
Pain de Midlands

Slice bread. Smear a thin layer of human :censored: over bread

Eat

The bread must be Warburton's and I understand it's very tasty when you're driving round the country trying to break a record.

To be followed by Mrs. Sideburns' chocolate muffins - it was either bake a cake or go to Bury and call in Sainsbury's on the way back.

The bread must be Warburton's and I understand it's very tasty when you're driving round the country trying to break a record.

To be followed by Mrs. Sideburns' chocolate muffins - it was either bake a cake or go to Bury and call in Sainsbury's on the way back.

*Wonders how to broach the possibility that I could have a career opportunity in Coventry*