Dean Furman - Fuel to the fire

I know he's been mentioned in other posts, but I have a Bradford City-supporting friend who says that according to their message boards we are battling it out with Bradford to sign Dean Furman, and that currently we are the favourites.

The Bradford website itself mentions it at the bottom of an article about Peter Thorne signing a new contract:

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/...1689440,00.html

My friend says: "Furman is f ing awesome! Hes just a no-nonsense central midfielder that chases people down, never pulls out of a challenge, never complains, runs for 90 mins and wins his fair share of headers for a smaller player. hes the best young player we’ve had in years."

So it sounds like he would be a useful acquisition even if not neccessarily a like-for-like replacement for Taylor....

Just a rumour with a tiny bit of back-up, nothing more...

Does anyone know if we are looking at trying to sign this guy on a permanent basis or season long loan?

Good question. I think he is a free agent so it would be a permanent signing. Bradford had him on a season-long loan last season, doesn't sound as if he's got much of a future at Rangers.

Good question. I think he is a free agent so it would be a permanent signing. Bradford had him on a season-long loan last season, doesn't sound as if he's got much of a future at Rangers.

Was going to say he would command a fee as he is under 24 but as its a 'cross border' transfer, I guess not :D

Was going to say he would command a fee as he is under 24 but as its a 'cross border' transfer, I guess not :D

if he turns out to be a belter and we sell him for 600k will we be fans of the cross border transfer arrangement? :wink:

I also heard the same story from a friend who has an exec box at Bradford. He knows the Chairman and a few of the Directors fairly well. He said we're in pole position to sign Furman as he wants to play at the highest level he can.

He described him as a fantastic box to box midfielder who always gives 100% and said he definitely will not dissapoint us if he signs.

What is brillaint about this situation is, that I bet if we sign this guy everyone will be up in arms proclaiming him as the greatest signing ever... as the Bratfud fans love him, and he plays for the mighty rangers dont you know.... however, we sign someone like Jacobsen/Worthington who has played at a higher level... and Purdie who got equally as good reviews and everyone says we are going down....

No real conclusion to my point, I just find it brilliant how people make judgment on no info...

Lets wait until the season and trust Penney to pick a player... and not balls it up...

:)

I work in Bradford and he has been in there paper as a player they are trying to sign. It did also mention that we were the other team that were interested.

They are having financial problems at the moment, a number of players and the manager have had to take a pay cut, and CHris Casper who was working as part of the backroom staff have been let go.

Funnilly enough, a couple of the lads who work for me blame players like Benite Carbone for there current financial plight because they wouldn't take a pay cut when they got relegated a number of years ago !

What is brillaint about this situation is, that I bet if we sign this guy everyone will be up in arms proclaiming him as the greatest signing ever... as the Bratfud fans love him, and he plays for the mighty rangers dont you know.... however, we sign someone like Jacobsen/Worthington who has played at a higher level... and Purdie who got equally as good reviews and everyone says we are going down....

No real conclusion to my point, I just find it brilliant how people make judgment on no info...

Lets wait until the season and trust Penney to pick a player... and not balls it up...

:)

Absolutely spot on !!

Bit more info from Rangers forum here http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?t=562293 seems he is out of contract being way down the pecking order at Ibrox.

Can you post what they've said as you need to log-in to see.

And I ain't fecking creating a profile for a Rangers forum.

Can you post what they've said as you need to log-in to see.

And I ain't fecking creating a profile for a Rangers forum.

Sorry forgot it was log in only

Some more info on Dean Furman's status

Quote:

Suitors line up for Rangers midfielder

By - 18/06/2009 22:19

League One side Oldham Athletic have stepped in as serious contenders to the signature of Dean Furman.

The South African midfielder, who spent last season on loan at Valley Parade, is mulling over a range of options.

Furman started his career with Chelsea and moved north of the border to Rangers in 2006, where he has played just one game.

Furman's contract at Ibrox has run out this summer and talks with the Scottish champions are reported to have stalled.

The 20-year-old was one of the highlights at City last season and he came third in the club's player of the season awards. During his 32 games at City, he scored four times and his all-action tigerish displays in midfield won him many fans in the stands.

It also won him a key fan in the dug-out - Stuart McCall is keeping close ties on his progress hoping to bring him back to Valley Parade, either back on loan or maybe even on a permanent contract.

Furman has recently spent two weeks in Mexico with playing colleagues Nicky Law, Kyle Nix and Joe Colbeck, showing the bonds in the camp.

But City have already lost Law to Rotherham United and released Australian-born Nix.

Sources close to Oldham Athletic suggest that their new manager Dave Penney, who would have seen Furman last season as Darlington boss, wants to beat City to the chase and take Furman to Boundary Park.

http://www.rivals.net/news/pgarticle..._5387981&id=12

Didn't know that he was out of contract already.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard he's been offered terms by Rangers twice and hasn't signed yet. Looks like he's either realised he's not going to get a game for us, so is offski, or he's wanting more money. Personally think it's more to do with getting a regular game than the money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought young Furman looked very good when he came on against the Arabs last Season, I also believe that had Walter played him later on instead of the tired looking midfield he kept faith with, we would still have won the League.

Furman, Fleck,Buffel and Gow could have freshened up the tired legs long enough to keep us top of the League

It actually galls me to think of us letting a talented young player like this go whilst holding on to some of the trash we actually retain

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few of the comments left on the thread

Bradford paper also linked us with Zesh Rehman but he chose to sign a new deal with them.

Zesh Rehman signed a two-year deal with City last night after snubbing higher-division interest.

Rehman said: "There were a couple of other clubs from a higher league but this just felt right.

"My gut feeling told me to sign for Bradford and I've absolutely no regrets.From day one, I felt at home here. I'm fortunate enough to have played in all the divisions and I see this as the next step of my journey.

"I'm 25 now and still feel the best years are ahead of me."

Rehman was believed to have been targeted by Oldham, who have been linked with many out-of-contract players this summer, including Dean Furman.

just to back up a lot of posts on here - my mate at work is a Bratfurt ST holder and he says that DF is the dogs bo**ox and if we get him we wont be sorry - hes a star in the making ! come on DP - lets get him and Abbot in the bag asap !

Onwards and upwards !

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/...1697658,00.html

Just been sent this. The article mentions compensation so maybe the Porter rule doesn't apply and we do have to pay a fee for some reason?

I'm not sure we're in a position to pay any compo but maybe, according to Bradford fans, he's worth it?!

http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/page/News/...1697658,00.html

Just been sent this. The article mentions compensation so maybe the Porter rule doesn't apply and we do have to pay a fee for some reason?

I'm not sure we're in a position to pay any compo but maybe, according to Bradford fans, he's worth it?!

As far as I am aware, if he’s out of contract it’s a free transfer across the border as per Porter.

As far as I am aware, if he’s out of contract it’s a free transfer across the border as per Porter.

I thought cross border transfers was on that training fee malarky, which is applicable on all players under 23. Porter was 23 1/2, and Furman is 21 today. Happy birthday Dean. But I would think it would have to be a pretty generous settlement before we got him.

I thought cross border transfers was on that training fee malarky, which is applicable on all players under 23. Porter was 23 1/2, and Furman is 21 today. Happy birthday Dean. But I would think it would have to be a pretty generous settlement before we got him.

I thought it was under 24?

Didn't we suffer on this front as we'd only had Porter for 2 seasons and not from being 13/10/whatever? So if Furman has come all the way through their system then it could cost us more than expected.

Furman Next for Latics? :grin:

McCall loses out on midfielder

By - 22/06/2009 10:16

Stuart McCall is set to lose out on target Dean Furman to League One side Oldham Athletic.

Furman spent last season on loan at Valley Parade, playing 33 games during which time he won a number of plaudits.

His displays helped him win a number of accolades at the end of season awards and he also chalked up four goals.

He returned to Ibrox where his contract expires this summer, but he has stalled on signing a new deal because he wants regular first-team action ahead of the next World Cup.

Staged in his native South Africa, the World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Furman hence his desire to find first-team football.

McCall told the Telegraph & Argus: "We've been very good for Deano and he's been terrific for us. I know he loved his time here and would like to come back but, in fairness, he wants to play at the highest level possible.

"As much as we've done everything we can to get him back, I think he'll be joining a League One club if they can come up with the (compensation) money that Rangers are looking for."

Furman is now tipped to be signing for Oldham Athletic this week, now under the management of former Darlington boss Dave Penney.