are you joking!

if thats the case what are we doing!!!!

ATHLETIC have made former Bristol Rovers player Joe Jacobson their third summer signing.

And the 22-year-old left-back, who captained Wales under-21s, revealed that he completed the transfer having never spoken to manager Dave Penney.

The deal was finalised by Jacobson’s Rochdale-based agent John Seasman, the former Luton Town and Millwall striker, while the player was on holiday in Egypt.

Jacobson also admitted that Athletic’s Neal Eardley, who he knows well from international football, played a part in the move.

Cardiff-born Jacobson has signed a two-year contract, and said: “I spoke to Neal while I was away on holiday and he only had good things to say about the club.

“I think I have joined a bigger and better club than Bristol Rovers and I am delighted to have the opportunity to play here.

“I am looking for us to be up near the top challenging for promotion. I cannot wait to get started.”

Jacobson, who has appeared twice on the bench for the full Wales team, never held talks with the Athletic manager due to the player being on holiday.

He said: “I know my agent spoke to a number of clubs while I was away and this deal was finalised within the space of two days.”

Jacobson joined Cardiff as a nine-year-old and eventually made two senior appearances for the Bluebirds.

After loan spells at Accrington Stanley and Bristol Rovers, he signed a full-time contract for the latter in the summer of 2007.

Jacobson made a total of 83 first-team appearances for Rovers, with his one goal ironically coming against Athletic. It was the winner at Boundary Park in a 1-0 victory in August 2007.

But injury restricted him to 22 games during a frustrating 2008/09 season, and Jacobson admitted the time was right for a new challenge as his contract had expired.

He said: “I was initially ruled out through injury and then struggled to get back into the side after getting back to full fitness.

“The club knew I was not happy and the decision to leave was mutual — I didn’t want to stay and they wanted me to leave.”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Penney signed him by dealing with the agent whilst the player was on holiday..

Yes, thats how i read it too.

Dean, I dont understand why you are so angry with everything the club does. They can't seem to do right in your eyes. give it a rest?

Yes, thats how i read it too.

Dean, I dont understand why you are so angry with everything the club does. They can't seem to do right in your eyes. give it a rest?

i wouldnt say angry i would say frustrated because i know its another rubbish league 1 campaign and yet again we will be awaiting league 1 fixtures on 17th june 2010 then 2011.....2039

What really is the problem here it's how deals go through via a players agent. The manager speaks with the agent the agent then speaks with the player tells them who's in for them they have a chat player then tells the agent I'll sign for Oldham the agent contacts Oldham saying the player will sign when he returns from holiday not really a problem is it.

i wouldnt say angry i would say frustrated because i know its another rubbish league 1 campaign and yet again we will be awaiting league 1 fixtures on 17th june 2010 then 2011.....2039

Not arsed if he hasn't spoke to him... I just hope he's seen him play!!

How do you know itll be another 'rubbish' campaign? Because weve, by all accounts, signed a good, solid full back? Were building a squad. How can you pass judgement until its completed, or infact, seen them play together? Your prediction of relegation on another thread is just mad.

Mr Happy chill your boots son, How do you know the season will be :censored: before it even starts?How do you know how Penny will set his team out to play?

You really are depressed arent you mate, take yourself for a beer and relax a little.

if thats the case what are we doing!!!!

Here's a thought: -

Penney identifies Jacobson as a player he would like to sign and leaves the contract negotiations to TTA.

Jacobson, eager to sign for Oldham (a big club, don't you know?), doesn't need to be wooed by Penney, hence, no need for them to meet.

By all accounts, the player knew about Penney's reputation and that was enough for him.

Surely this is a good thing?

How do you know itll be another 'rubbish' campaign? Because weve, by all accounts, signed a good, solid full back? Were building a squad. How can you pass judgement until its completed, or infact, seen them play together? Your prediction of relegation on another thread is just mad.

funniest thing ive ever heard

go on then what do you predict your mad if you predict play offs, your mad if you predict mid table, why am i mad its an opinion is a prediction its a view

So go on then Dean you've got £10K a week to spend on wages which 9 players would you sign I'll let you ignore the fact we've signed purdie, worthington and jacobson.

Which 9 for that budget (which is half a million per annum just in case you thought it wasn't enough)?

And you too Corporal?

don't bother goin then. you are really getting on my nerves.

don't bother goin then. you are really getting on my nerves.

Thats because we are a small club with f**k all money and f**k all support. What do you expect to happen?

We seem to have sensible owners in regards to the money they spend. This does not usually equate to success in football, a sport which is far from sensible.

If you want us to be splashing the cash on quality signings and a guarantee that we will be playing higher up in years to come, maybe its time you started a campaign to get rid of the board and for them to sell up to a sugar daddy.

I think too many of our fans believe the hype and propaganda which comes out of the club. Yes there is always noises that we are going for promotion, but I would hazard a guess that the same noises come out of 15 or so other clubs at this level. Despite what the owners claim, they are not providing the funds for a club like ours to compete on a level playing field with the likes of Leeds, Norwich, MK Dons etc. They do provide enough in terms of wages for the club to remain competitive. However we still have to rely on free transfers. Some work out, some dont but it should be no suprise if we endure another season of middle table mediocraty.

Whats your point Dean? I bet a fair few players shez, ronnie, talbot or dowie signed never spoke to him beforehand (and if I was TTA I would have made sure it was that way as Shez couldnt sell a black cat to a witch, let alone sell OAFC to a prospective player)

Leave the selling/negotiating to the people at the club who can sell/negotiate.

loads of players sign for teams without speaking to the manager. Ronaldo won't have seein as he has been in america, its all been done through his agent same as what has happened here.

Not to mention footballers are usually as smart as a 2 year old so they wouldn't be able to negotiate a contract.

Just looking for things to complain about if you ask me.

So go on then Dean you've got £10K a week to spend on wages which 9 players would you sign I'll let you ignore the fact we've signed purdie, worthington and jacobson.

Which 9 for that budget (which is half a million per annum just in case you thought it wasn't enough)?

And you too Corporal?

if thats the budget id be worried i bet we have got rid of

hughes 3000

lids 2500

gregan 3000

maher 2000

kalala 1500

crossley 2000

allott 2000

stam 800

16,800 +

if thats the budget id be worried i bet we have got rid of

hughes 3000

lids 2500

gregan 3000

maher 2000

kalala 1500

crossley 2000

allott 2000

stam 800

16,800 +

I dont normally get involved in this drivel - but those figures are tosh. You are making things up to give fact to your very 1 sided arguement... which ultimately has no fact to support it.

Just wait and see...

I dont normally get involved in this drivel - but those figures are tosh. You are making things up to give fact to your very 1 sided arguement... which ultimately has no fact to support it.

Just wait and see...

so how far out do you reckon i am then go on....