best team to play us at bp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

burnley in the anglo scottish cup final comes to mind

1-4 think it was with leighton james making our right back(probably ian wood) look stupid

Individually, in recentish seasons, David Farrell was :censored: off a stick when Peterborough knobbed us 4-1.

He made two full backs look pap. Which they were, but that's not the point.

In the context of the opening post, I'm trying to think of the best performances from teams in our league in recent seasons, and in particular the best striker performances. The one that stands out for me is George Boyd of Peterborough - we just didn't handle him all game.

Although it was a transitional period in the season after we nearly went bust, but we played Blackpool in the FA Cup and got absolutely nailed 2-5. Scott Taylor for them (currently at Staines Town - how the mighty have fallen) playing a blinder and I think he scored a hattrick. I think even had we played a strong team they'd have been a good match for us.

Also, Wrexham in the :censored: trophy Northern Final 1st leg. Ugarte (Where is he now?) giving us the right runaround in the middle of a purple patch for him when he scored about 12 goals in the space of a month or something. Only a couple of late goals by Scott Vernon made that scoreline look half-respctable at 3-5.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

burnley in the anglo scottish cup final comes to mind

1-4 think it was with leighton james making our right back(probably ian wood) look stupid

ohhhhh! thanks for reminding me of my first ever huge latics disappointment!

(for the record 1979,lost 4-0 at home first leg,won away 1-0 second leg)

edit..1979/80 season..:censored:-30 years ago!

Edited by johnny punkster

I would say Wigan 0-2 in 02/03 ??

the playoff QPR year ... we were a match for all that year BUT they battered us that day with Teale, Ellington, Roberts, Kavanagh etc. all going thru to the prem with them as well ... I'm guessing it would have been a joy to watch as a neutral !!!

That was the best league1 i can remember ... Crewe had Ashton and Hulse, Cardiff had Earnshaw ... Bristol City were so strong, we had our best squad for a decade and Plymouth didnt even make the top6 then cruised the league the year later !!!

Although it was a transitional period in the season after we nearly went bust, but we played Blackpool in the FA Cup and got absolutely nailed 2-5. Scott Taylor for them (currently at Staines Town - how the mighty have fallen) playing a blinder and I think he scored a hattrick. I think even had we played a strong team they'd have been a good match for us.

Also, Wrexham in the :censored: trophy Northern Final 1st leg. Ugarte (Where is he now?) giving us the right runaround in the middle of a purple patch for him when he scored about 12 goals in the space of a month or something. Only a couple of late goals by Scott Vernon made that scoreline look half-respctable at 3-5.

Strange that, one of the first things that entered my mind when opening this thread was his performance that night. I seem to remember him moving to Crewe, getting a really bad injury then just disappearing...

EDIT -

Ugarte then joined Football League One club Crewe Alexandra, but injuries prevented him from ever starting a game for the Alex[3] and also cut short two loan returns to Wrexham after just one game each time. Despite his injury problems, the Dragons resigned him in November 2006 after Crewe had released him in May of that year, but up to February 24, 2007 he has had problems with his knee and hamstring. Due to persistent injury problems, Ugarte had his Wrexham contract cancelled, and retired from professional football on January 16, 2008.
Edited by JonesyOAFC

• 2 weeks later...
Strange that, one of the first things that entered my mind when opening this thread was his performance that night. I seem to remember him moving to Crewe, getting a really bad injury then just disappearing...

EDIT -

might be a few more scenes like that this season when owen

Since I have been watching Latics properly (1994/1995) I would say the best performances by away team were

(pains me to say it) Cardiff 7-1 in 2001/2002

2002/2003 when crewe beat us 3-1. Rob Hulse tore us to ribbons and Ashton scored with more or less his first touch

Whilst they didnt leather us, Chealsea brought an ace team here in the cup a few years ago. Luca Vialli and Gianfranco Zola up front, Marcel Desailly at the back. Think John Terry made his debut in that game too. Still well happy I got to see Zola play in the flesh, the bloke was a class act.

one of the best defensive games i have seen from an away team was when were unbeaten at home for 30 something games in 89/90 season i think it was and we played sheff utd at home on a tuesday night...we threw the kitchen sink at them that night but they were awesome at the back and they broke twice to beat us 2-0 and broke all our hearts

one of the best defensive games i have seen from an away team was when were unbeaten at home for 30 something games in 89/90 season i think it was and we played sheff utd at home on a tuesday night...we threw the kitchen sink at them that night but they were awesome at the back and they broke twice to beat us 2-0 and broke all our hearts

My eyes still hurt.

That brings it back. Not sure if it was the shirts or just the sheer violence of Deane and co, but I actually wanted to get on the pitch and seriously harm the ref by the end of that match... :blink:

I'm trying to think of games when I've been so fuming that if it wasn't for dimensions I'd have been on there.

I can only think of the 4-4 draw with Bristol Rovers, Clatterbug (both miles from the pitch) and Paul Reid being bigger than I thought.

That brings it back. Not sure if it was the shirts or just the sheer violence of Deane and co, but I actually wanted to get on the pitch and seriously harm the ref by the end of that match... :blink:

cant remember much about it

i know they wore bright yellow shirts and deane scored the second

it was an assault on their goal but they survived somehow..

what did the ref do wrong?

I'm trying to think of games when I've been so fuming that if it wasn't for dimensions I'd have been on there.

I can only think of the 4-4 draw with Bristol Rovers, Clatterbug (both miles from the pitch) and Paul Reid being bigger than I thought.

nick henrys goal in the semi that was a foot over the line...

i could see it went in and i was stood in the kippax at the other end of the ground..

if i could have got to the ref then.....well

One that springs to mind for me was Reading in 00-01 season when they beat us 2-0 (and I think they did us 5-0 down at their place) the movement from the front 2 was a terrifying sight, especially with Mark Hotte in defense can't believe they only beat us by 2 that night

One that springs to mind for me was Reading in 00-01 season when they beat us 2-0 (and I think they did us 5-0 down at their place) the movement from the front 2 was a terrifying sight, especially with Mark Hotte in defense can't believe they only beat us by 2 that night

i remember that, didnt Jamie Cureton put one in the top corner (with ease) at the chaddy end?

Whilst they didnt leather us, Chealsea brought an ace team here in the cup a few years ago. Luca Vialli and Gianfranco Zola up front, Marcel Desailly at the back. Think John Terry made his debut in that game too. Still well happy I got to see Zola play in the flesh, the bloke was a class act.

Great game until we lost a centre-back (can't remember who). Paul Reid had an awesome game. But my stand out memory was Desailly cheating by falling like a sack of spuds under a tickle of a challenge by the mighty Stevie Whitehall - a difference of 8 inches and 6 stone I'm guessing.

Great game until we lost a centre-back (can't remember who). Paul Reid had an awesome game. But my stand out memory was Desailly cheating by falling like a sack of spuds under a tickle of a challenge by the mighty Stevie Whitehall - a difference of 8 inches and 6 stone I'm guessing.

Tore Andre Flo coming on and looking like Kaka.....scary stuff......

He was quality.