best team to play us at bp

sat here bored waiting for some transfer action when i started thinking who could we buy to bang in the goals next season

so it got me thinking of the great strikers that has played against us at bp..

my first thoughts were andy cole playing for newcastle the first season they got promoted into the prem under keegan

i think it was a monday night game live on sky and craig flemming played cole of the park for 89 minutes but he still managed to score 2 fantastic goals

peter beardsley was awesome that night,,,infact the whole newcastle team were fantastic that night

the passing a movement was a joy to see

thinking about it i think they are the only team i enjoyed watching more than oldham..im one of those who tends to watch oldham play and not the other team but newcastle that night were something else..

1-3 i think it ended up with jobbo getting our toe bunger

so who was your memorable team or player to visit bp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps an odd one but the Bristol City team who drew with us 3-3 a couple of years ago (those who don't get it, ask Beeg_teeats). We were playing very well at the time as I recall but there was something about their play, they really could cut you to pieces in three moves with passes along the ground time and time again, which we don't see too often at this level. Of course the fact that we *drew* with them anyway and that we played even better football than that that season says a lot about what it takes to be successful in that division, and why Shez and Holloway both got sacked in the next couple of years.

In recent years, the Spurs side that beat us 6-0 live on sky.

Seem to remember Defoe coming on and scoring a good goal after about 2 minutes of him being on.

spurs 87, waddle, ardiles, allen perfectly suited passing for a plastic pitch

In recent years, the Spurs side that beat us 6-0 live on sky.

Seem to remember Defoe coming on and scoring a good goal after about 2 minutes of him being on.

I think you give us a lot of credit if they were the best side! I only saw it on TV from Tulse Hill, which was a 2 man sea of Latics that night, but we did brilliantly against them for 40 minutes, with Appleby fantastic in his first game back after 14 years, then him and everyone else's legs fell off and they wanked all over us. It was a good show but I doubt Spurs rank it that highly!

Perhaps an odd one but the Bristol City team who drew with us 3-3 a couple of years ago (those who don't get it, ask Beeg_teeats). We were playing very well at the time as I recall but there was something about their play, they really could cut you to pieces in three moves with passes along the ground time and time again, which we don't see too often at this level. Of course the fact that we *drew* with them anyway and that we played even better football than that that season says a lot about what it takes to be successful in that division, and why Shez and Holloway both got sacked in the next couple of years.

Would that be the same one we won 4-3 when Hughes scored?

I recall vaguely a Blackburn match ........... They ran us ragged really ragged and yet we won by a really scruffy goal late on. They passed us off the park and hit every angle of the woodwork and Goram or was it Gorton in top top form .. In sure one of the statto's will let me know when it was

I recall vaguely a Blackburn match ........... They ran us ragged really ragged and yet we won by a really scruffy goal late on. They passed us off the park and hit every angle of the woodwork and Goram or was it Gorton in top top form .. In sure one of the statto's will let me know when it was

The ManUre side that beat us 6-3 on Boxing Day. Kanchelskis and Giggs unstoppable. Even Denis Irwin scored twice.

I fancy they might even have beaten Bristol City that day.

Colchester at home last season looked fluid and ultra-dangerous. WE were pretty awful but I think they made us look awful. They won the game narrowly, but it really should have been by a cricket score.

I recall that Spurs cup game in 1987 too. They were unbelievably great that day, and I think they felt sorry for us quite a bit letting us get a couple of goals. Waddle was phenomenal.

As much as it pains me, but Wigan in 2002-03 when they played us just before Christmas. Looked a class apart and you could tell then they'd just walk the division.

Would that be the same one we won 4-3 when Hughes scored?

A certain person turned up late for that one, I bumped into him at the back of t'Chaddy at half time and enthused about Hughes's goal, as he had missed it he thought I was on the wind up and to this day he refuses to believe it happened.

That Spurs side from the 6-0 weren't anything special until Santini 'ruined' the game by bringing Defoe on at 1-0 midway through the second half. Then they got pretty darn good.

Of the lower league sides to come, well the Swansea side we beat 2-1 on opening day last season but one were pretty awesome. We didn't rob them...we robbed them, beat them up, raped them and left them for dead. You could tell they'd walk away with the league after that performance, and lo and behold they did...

sat here bored waiting for some transfer action when i started thinking who could we buy to bang in the goals next season

my first thoughts were andy cole playing for newcastle the first season they got promoted into the prem under keegan

i think it was a monday night game live on sky and craig flemming played cole of the park for 89 minutes but he still managed to score 2 fantastic goals

peter beardsley was awesome that night,,,infact the whole newcastle team were fantastic that night

thinking about it i think they are the only team i enjoyed watching more than oldham..im one of those who tends to watch oldham play and not the other team but newcastle that night were something else..

ill agree with that, was saying this about a year ago on here that newcastle were top notch that night

cole and ugly face were miles ahead of everone on that day.... even the fans were good aswell top atmosphere well in the RRE it was

glad they went down this year tho, big club my a*** good morning all leeds fans :grin::ass3::laught16::chubb::lol1::ass1::who:

The year Wigan went up as champions they were awesome both times they played us. Roberts and Ellington up front i think they had.

At home we couldn't get the ball of them and they played most of the game in our half.

I thought we had a chance when we played at the JJB and we scored first. Then they destroyed us. Jimmy Bullard scored a freekick.

I've enjoyed any game where Danny Wilson has brought a side to BP. He gets his teams playing the game the way it should be played.

This is why I'm predicting Swindon will be the dark horses this season. Especially if they hang on to Cox. He's brought Shirtliff in as his assistant as well, who must surely take some credit for Tranmere's recent resurgence.

The ManUre side that beat us 6-3 on Boxing Day. Kanchelskis and Giggs unstoppable. Even Denis Irwin scored twice.

I fancy they might even have beaten Bristol City that day.

Even Denis? :grin: He bagged a good few goals that season, and I seem to remember ended up top of their assists table.

The 6-3 (it wouldn't happen again...), the 5-2 the following year (ok, it did), and the 4-1 in the cup replay were crushing examples of what has made Fergy's teams great over the years.

In the context of the opening post, I'm trying to think of the best performances from teams in our league in recent seasons, and in particular the best striker performances. The one that stands out for me is George Boyd of Peterborough - we just didn't handle him all game.

Edited by dish