• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't, as they are very many peoples opinion as opposed to just one or two.

Who are these people, though? Publicans? :detectivegm0:

To be honest, there's a key word in your post: Opinion. I'm of the opinion that Gregan is an overrated, overweight ballsack with a penchant for voyeurism. Yourself and Stitch think he's fantastic and the best defender in the division. On this we'll have to agree to disagree. Where we share common ground, though, is that for 90 minutes on a Saturday/Tuesday/occasional Friday we'll cheer him on.

Who are these people, though? Publicans? :detectivegm0:

To be honest, there's a key word in your post: Opinion. I'm of the opinion that Gregan is an overrated, overweight ballsack with a penchant for voyeurism. Yourself and Stitch think he's fantastic and the best defender in the division. On this we'll have to agree to disagree. Where we share common ground, though, is that for 90 minutes on a Saturday/Tuesday/occasional Friday we'll cheer him on.

Gregan is the slowest centre-half in the West, it is true.

Opinions are easily swayed by certain traits, that lull the masses into silly mistakes. Take for instance Hughes cutting into the box, holding off his marker and getting a shot off - the ball goes wide, they get a goal-kick and all the Latics fans jump around going "HUUUUGHESY!".

Meanwhile Alessandra stands forlorn looking at the open goal that he had, 5 yards to Hughes' left and Taylor stands on the left-hand side of the box with an open goal thinking "next time I might not bother running all this way to never get a pass".

Appealing to the masses is not a sure indicator of doing the right thing, and it isn't a sure measure of compitance. Gregan is an ace passer of the ball, hard as nails and a dominate presence at the back. He is, however, slow and not quite tall enough to be comfortable against proper meat-head beasts up front.

Very similar in that last respect to Hazell and Haining.

The Staminator now... there was a real player.

Gregan is the slowest centre-half in the West, it is true.

Opinions are easily swayed by certain traits, that lull the masses into silly mistakes. Take for instance Hughes cutting into the box, holding off his marker and getting a shot off - the ball goes wide, they get a goal-kick and all the Latics fans jump around going "HUUUUGHESY!".

Meanwhile Alessandra stands forlorn looking at the open goal that he had, 5 yards to Hughes' left and Taylor stands on the left-hand side of the box with an open goal thinking "next time I might not bother running all this way to never get a pass".

Appealing to the masses is not a sure indicator of doing the right thing, and it isn't a sure measure of compitance. Gregan is an ace passer of the ball, hard as nails and a dominate presence at the back. He is, however, slow and not quite tall enough to be comfortable against proper meat-head beasts up front.

Very similar in that last respect to Hazell and Haining.

The Staminator now... there was a real player.

:lol:

You spoil a pretty sensible post with what is clearly blatant lunacy. Stam had enough trouble standing on two feet whilst stroking his hair... never mind being a football player....for me, he had no pace, wasnt great in the air, and was always talked of as being a footbaling centre half, when Gregan has ten times the ability on the ball that he had...

Now there is an over-rated player... who to take your point - has been idolised by masses whilst being not very good or injured for most of his time here.

*1....2.....3.... :hooked:*

Guest sheridans_world
Fig-82-Hoof-Showing-The-Rings-In-The-Horn-Brought-About.jpg

Diseases Of the Horse Foot?!

chestofbooks.com/animals/horses/Diseases-Of-The-Horse-Foot/images/Fig-82-Hoof-Showing-The-Rings-In-The-Horn-Brought-About.jpg

:lol:

You spoil a pretty sensible post with what is clearly blatant lunacy. Stam had enough trouble standing on two feet whilst stroking his hair... never mind being a football player....for me, he had no pace, wasnt great in the air, and was always talked of as being a footbaling centre half, when Gregan has ten times the ability on the ball that he had...

Now there is an over-rated player... who to take your point - has been idolised by masses whilst being not very good or injured for most of his time here.

*1....2.....3.... :hooked:*

Excellent post, agree with every word.

Well the final part of the post was only half serious, although now that the mighty Staminator's qualities are being called into question I feel that this has stepped up a notch (to quote the mighty Ron Burgundy).

With the hope of avoiding a duel, I'll merely throw it out there and say that the Stam was class. I'll admit that part of that was down to his being an immense, studly, adonis of a man with a sensational barnet, but he was also a ball-playing legend.

So just let me get this right.

Hazell was constantly covering for Gregan.

Eardley was constantly covering for Gregan.

Yet Gregan got far more MoM performances than the pair of them put together.

MoM Polls - They don't Lie

So in conclusion, I've never heard so much absolute :censored:e in my life.

Hahaha...I remember when Guy Branston was highly rated early on in his days with us....he got a few MOTM too! Action men...can do :censored: all in games but win a few headers and yet still somehow get the easy "vote"...Dean Windass and Keiron Lee somehow got 2 MOTM's each also last season....in conclusion...."I've never heard so much absolute :censored:e in my life"...Indeed!

PS Interesting how we've currently got 2 posts going...1 on Gregan and 1 on Warne...whereby the thought of the latter coming back repulses many (I wouldn't have Warne back either, but far from repulsed by it) and yet the former who is utterly arselicked by a majority of blinkered Blues who fail to see his failings (over some of the positives he does admittedly have too) was utterly arse-ripped by the latter last season! Again...in conclusion...he plays when he wants to...the lesser teams he can't be arsed about! Not one I'd want in the trenches with me!

Edited by boundaryblue80

They don't, as they are very many peoples opinion as opposed to just one or two.

I would say about 200 or so max. vote in the MOTM awards.

How many voted for player of the year award?

And who won it?

Almost forgot, ah yes, it's Hazell!!!

So, to add to your conclusion, you are a master of talking :censored:e.

Hahaha...I remember when Guy Branston was highly rated early on in his days with us....he got a few MOTM too!

Not by me he wasn't.

The MoM polls I'm talking about are the one done on here, where a few hundred vote, I don't mean the one person's opinion ones at the game in newspapers etc.

I would say about 200 or so max. vote in the MOTM awards.

How many voted for player of the year award?

And who won it?

Almost forgot, ah yes, it's Hazell!!!

So, to add to your conclusion, you are a master of talking :censored:e.

Would you not say that 200 or so max is a better representation than just one persons opinion?

Gregan finished a very close second to Hazell in that OAFC poll for player of the season, so by that score Gregan must have been doing something right, no?

As you are already aware, you are the absolute master of talking :censored:e as this post I am now replying to testifies (see the above points) also if you look closely at your posts, someone always feels the need to strongly oppose your bent and warped views.

You appear to me to be clearly in need of psychiatric help, you have lost the ability (if you ever had it) to remain rational, such are the levels of your bitter and twistedness, it might do you some good to give these messageboards a break and get your head sorted out.

Not by me he wasn't.

The MoM polls I'm talking about are the one done on here, where a few hundred vote, I don't mean the one person's opinion ones at the game in newspapers etc.

Agreed Indeed

By who haha...Rated?? I can't say that i've ever spoken to another fan who've ever said much positive about the aforementioned pickle.

Would you not say that 200 or so max is a better representation than just one persons opinion?

Gregan finished a very close second to Hazell in that OAFC poll for player of the season, so by that score Gregan must have been doing something right, no?

As you are already aware, you are the absolute master of talking :censored:e as this post I am now replying to testifies (see the above points) also if you look closely at your posts, someone always feels the need to strongly oppose your bent and warped views.

You appear to me to be clearly in need of psychiatric help, you have lost the ability (if you ever had it) to remain rational, such are the levels of your bitter and twistedness, it might do you some good to give these messageboards a break and get your head sorted out.

As, you rightly point out, Gregan came SECOND. Therefore, in the eyes of the voting masses, Hazell must have had a better season. So some acknowledgement of Hazell would be welcome.

You are, in a democratic society, allowed to opinionate about the qualities of Gregan of whom I would like to hear clear details about them. But please don't include the following, because they are just nonsense:

1) The blanket statement about him being the best defender in the division.

2) How he dominates all forwards

3) He's a leader and we need one

4) There wasn't any help from our midfield

I've opined a number of times on these points in the past and why they are not applicable, but I will cover them again if needed.

Also, I've noticed a growing number of other posters who are unsettled with the return of Gregan, so mine is not an isolated opinion. But, I will admit my thoughts on Gregan were borderline obsessive :grin: .

And finally Homer, I admire your love of Gregan which seems limitless and I wish you both a long and happy future together.

Edited by mikejh45

As, you rightly point out, Gregan came SECOND. Therefore, in the eyes of the voting masses, Hazell must have had a better season. So some acknowledgement of Hazell would be welcome. Surely second is pretty good in a poll of about 16/18 players, he must be doing many things right.

You are, in a democratic society, allowed to opinionate about the qualities of Gregan of whom I would like to hear clear details about them. But please don't include the following, because they are just nonsense:

1) The blanket statement about him being the best defender in the division.

I have never ever said I think he is the best defender in the division (check back through my posts, I've never said it).

2) How he dominates all forwards. He does dominate most forwards (Jermaine Backford a perfect example) indeed he is the only Latics player stopping us being bullied all over the pitch in some games.

3) He's a leader and we need one. Whether you like it or not, he is a leader and we do need one, often our only communicator on the pitch.

4) There wasn't any help from our midfield. Our midfield last season was shocking, Allott was inconsistent and Whittaker often went missing, this is bound to put extra pressure on any defence.

I've opined a number of times on these points in the past and why they are not applicable, but I will cover them again if needed. Please please don't, I've heard everything you have to say on the subject and we will definately have to agree to disagree because there is absolutely no common ground between us on the subject.

Also, I've noticed a growing number of other posters who are unsettled with the return of Gregan, so mine is not an isolated opinion. But, I will admit my thoughts on Gregan were borderline obsessive :grin: .He certainly is a player who divides opinion I'll give you that.

And finally Homer, I admire your love of Gregan which seems limitless and I wish you both a long and happy future together. Funnily enough I wasn't really ever Gregan's biggest fan but feeling the need to defend him against some stupid, ludicrous, uminformed and uneducated criticism on here has turned me into one.

Homer.

Please give Hazell, some credit here, instead of talking Gregan upwards.

With, the best will in the world, I have to say that as skilful as Beckford is, he is a thick sod. In every game I've seen him play against us, he has played straight to Gregan's strengths. With his pace, he should be running Gregan ragged.

You are right, we will never agree.

However, I never, ever criticise without giving my reasons and never just give a half line comment such as "He's crap". I always add my thoughts. You may not like them, they may lift the lid off your head and send the egg yolk flying but they are mine.

Have a good day, Homer, old boy and don't let my rantings tip you over the edge. Being a Latics supporter is sufficient cause to do that. :grin:

Homer.

Please give Hazell, some credit here, instead of talking Gregan upwards.

With, the best will in the world, I have to say that as skilful as Beckford is, he is a thick sod. In every game I've seen him play against us, he has played straight to Gregan's strengths. With his pace, he should be running Gregan ragged.

You are right, we will never agree.

However, I never, ever criticise without giving my reasons and never just give a half line comment such as "He's crap". I always add my thoughts. You may not like them, they may lift the lid off your head and send the egg yolk flying but they are mine.

Have a good day, Homer, old boy and don't let my rantings tip you over the edge. Being a Latics supporter is sufficient cause to do that. :grin:

I haven't been a big critic of Hazell generally, he was steady and solid until the last 8/9 games of last season when he had some shockers and dropped some massive clangers, some said he wasn't fit during that period, but thats no excuse if that was the case he shouldn't have been playing with a fit Stam ready to deputise.

I have criticised him mainly in the defence of Gregan when people claim he was constantly covering for Gregan, which simply isn't true. Hazell isn't exactly turbo charged himself.

Beckford scored 34 goals last season so was doing something write in all other games except against us where he drew two blanks. :wink:

I generally try to always explain my comments but sometimes useless and crass comments from some posters deserve to be treated with distain.

TBH I often only come on here to let off a bit of steam, so I think the occasional rant will always be in evidence from me. :wink:

It can be frustrating enough being a Latics fan on its own, without the suicidal tendencies of some on here. :grin:

Well the final part of the post was only half serious, although now that the mighty Staminator's qualities are being called into question I feel that this has stepped up a notch (to quote the mighty Ron Burgundy).

With the hope of avoiding a duel, I'll merely throw it out there and say that the Stam was class. I'll admit that part of that was down to his being an immense, studly, adonis of a man with a sensational barnet, but he was also a ball-playing legend.

The man Stam was a decent player - proof of this will be how he plays for Yeovil - and I reckon that he will do well for them. A class player let down by a lack of pace - but then how many players would be so much better if they had a tad more pace.

Earl Barratt - lightening pace - got him out of so many scrapes.

I haven't been a big critic of Hazell generally, he was steady and solid until the last 8/9 games of last season when he had some shockers and dropped some massive clangers, some said he wasn't fit during that period, but thats no excuse if that was the case he shouldn't have been playing with a fit Stam ready to deputise.

I have criticised him mainly in the defence of Gregan when people claim he was constantly covering for Gregan, which simply isn't true. Hazell isn't exactly turbo charged himself.

Beckford scored 34 goals last season so was doing something write in all other games except against us where he drew two blanks. :wink:

I generally try to always explain my comments but sometimes useless and crass comments from some posters deserve to be treated with distain.

TBH I often only come on here to let off a bit of steam, so I think the occasional rant will always be in evidence from me. :wink:

It can be frustrating enough being a Latics fan on its own, without the suicidal tendencies of some on here. :grin:

That is exactly what worries me about Hazell - when his confidence goes it goes big time - it is good to have Gregan back but we need at leat two more centre backs to create the competition needed to keep players on thier toes - and I just hope that Trotman is one of them. <_<

I take your point regarding the last few games and can't disagree. But is the form of Hazell up until those final games the benchmark for what we should expect of him as he was consistently good.

If there was a problem about his fitness, then surely the problem goes back to the manager who, to be perfectly honest, wasn't big enough to admit his errors. If after, say, 4 errors then he should have brought in a fit Stam and rested Hazell.

I take your point regarding the last few games and can't disagree. But is the form of Hazell up until those final games the benchmark for what we should expect of him as he was consistently good.

If there was a problem about his fitness, then surely the problem goes back to the manager who, to be perfectly honest, wasn't big enough to admit his errors. If after, say, 4 errors then he should have brought in a fit Stam and rested Hazell.

I agree, to continue playing Hazell if he knew he had a problem wasn't doing Hazell or the team any favours, especially with a fit Stam able to come in.

If that was the case then I cannot understand Joe's thinking.