Corney asked Rochdale about possible ground share

Well you have most the fans screaming for transparency... well your getting it...

What we are getting over this issue is a vague reference coming out of the blue, shortly after we were reassured that the BP redevelopment was still on course, a virtual disowning of the idea from the club chairman on the same day, and then the fact that Rochdale were approached surfacing on their website, not ours-and this after they weren't mentioned directly by SC in the original interview.

Whatever it is, this isn't transparency.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you come from Oldham you can't divorce the club from the town, dump or not.

To a certain extent, OAFC is the town.

100% agree. If I could agree more than 100% with that, I would.

You can't move Oldham Athletic out of Oldham. We moan that the town doesn't back the club, but there would be no chance whatsoever of the town backing the club if it wasn't even based in Oldham. And why would people from another town (who are more than likely all already United and City fans) back "Oldham" Athletic just because it has been dropped on their doorstep?

The only way the club will survive is to redevelop BP, or to move to a ground at a new site in Oldham.

100% agree. If I could agree more than 100% with that, I would.

You can't move Oldham Athletic out of Oldham. We moan that the town doesn't back the club, but there would be no chance whatsoever of the town backing the club if it wasn't even based in Oldham. And why would people from another town (who are more than likely all already United and City fans) back "Oldham" Athletic just because it has been dropped on their doorstep?

The only way the club will survive is to redevelop BP, or to move to a ground at a new site in Oldham.

I dont think the idea is to attract fans from another town. It is simply a financial motive. 2 clubs paying for the ground means half the cost, can you not see that? If the ground being just outside the Oldham Borough is enough to stop people going then they are just looking for an excuse to stop going, it has nothing to do with the grounds location.

Latics' best bet for survival is to tap into the Asian population of Oldham, but lets be honest if 100 Asian lads turned up against Stockport they would just be given :censored: by most of our fans.

I dont think the idea is to attract fans from another town. It is simply a financial motive. 2 clubs paying for the ground means half the cost, can you not see that? If the ground being just outside the Oldham Borough is enough to stop people going then they are just looking for an excuse to stop going, it has nothing to do with the grounds location.

Latics' best bet for survival is to tap into the Asian population of Oldham, but lets be honest if 100 Asian lads turned up against Stockport they would just be given :censored: by most of our fans.

Yes, it would half the cost, but it could also mean realistically playing infront of half the fans too. A lot of fans in Oldham would be lost, and hardly any, if any, would be gained.

I wouldn't go if we moved out of Oldham. That isn't me looking for an excuse to stop going. If I wanted an excuse to stop going, Lee Hughes was that excuse. I support Oldham because they are Oldham. I couldn't go and watch Rochdale 2nds, or Ashton Athletic, or Middleton Blues, or whatever it is that we might as well then be called.

Corporal wasnt wrong when he said "If you come from Oldham you can't divorce the club from the town, dump or not.

To a certain extent, OAFC is the town." We have to stay in Oldham.

So there's no possibility of survival if a new Latics Stadium is built in Ashton? Or on the Rochdale/Royton border? None at all?

Well, if moved to Ashton, in my eyes, Oldham Athletic would cease to exist. How could they possibly be Oldham Athletic if they were playing in Ashton? Plus, Ashton is way too close to COMS for it to be a success, and I think more fans would be lost than gained, so I reckon that business would die out anyway.

Where on the Rochdale/Royton border is there enough land?

I'll rephrase it if you want...the best chance the clubs has of surviving is to redevelop BP or to move to a new stadium in Oldham.

Hypothetically, if the club was based in Ashton, and we had a repeat of 2003...would the apathetic public of Oldham rally around a club that isn't even based in the town? Would all those City and United fans in Ashton/Tameside rally around a club called Oldham?

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Well, if moved to Ashton, in my eyes, Oldham Athletic would cease to exist. How could they possibly be Oldham Athletic if they were playing in Ashton? Plus, Ashton is way too close to COMS for it to be a success, and I think more fans would be lost than gained, so I reckon that business would die out anyway.

I'll rephrase it if you want...the best chance the clubs has of surviving is to redevelop BP or to move to a new stadium in Oldham.

Hypothetically, if the club was based in Ashton, and we had a repeat of 2003...would the apathetic public of Oldham rally around a club that isn't even based in the town? Would all those City and United fans in Ashton/Tameside rally around a club called Oldham?

HANG ON!

I am in Ashton and TBH i would prefer the ground to stay where it is but there are a lot of Latics in Tameside and not as many city fans in ashton as there is in Oldham! and thats a fact.

Too sum up rebuild BP!!! lol

There is no wrong or right of course because we just don't know at the moment, and I want us to have a new stadium in Oldham, of course I do. However, we cannot be closed off to the options that may have to be called into play in the future for our survival.

OAFC? I'll watch them anywhere.

2 clubs paying for the ground means half the cost, can you not see that?

I can't. Half of what cost? Match day costs would be the same, player wages would be the same. The only costs halved would be the stadium upkeep which, of course, would be more expensive as the stadium was being used twice as much. Another possible saving would be a slight reduction in wages via some staff working for both clubs. To counter these (relatively) minor savings, any additional income streams would be shared. Attendances could drop, or they could rise. Nobody really knows....

So, is it really worth that much to us? I suspect not. Now if we were to build a new ground and Rochdale wanted to rent it off us, on a 50 year agreement....that would be ok with me. :grin:

simply because that we are OLDHAM ATHLETIC

who play in OLDHAM

In OUR OWN STADIUM, who we share with NOBODY

I can see both sides to this. It might make sense in practical terms to ground share, but I am more concerned about our club losing it's identity by moving and sharing with someone else. Needs lots of careful planning.

You say you dont think anyone including corney would be interested in a merger but did you see the ground share with Rochdale coming?

Especially after the long drawn out planning victory over the refurbishment of Boundary park?

It wasnt a massive surprise considering what has happened since planning approval was obtained...

Of course with the rugby!

I have a soft spot for Oldham Rugby after growing up about 200 yards from Watersheddings and hardly missing a game through the glory years :blink:

So we share with NOBODY....but the rugby.... :wink::lol: Consistency is a great thing :)

Horwich is a Civil Parish within the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton.

Bolton fans where unhappy as they felt it was moving out of Bolton.... Thats the point I was making...

I bet you wont find many Bolton fans longing to return to Burden Park...

1. Horwich is in Bolton.

2. I couldn't care less about Bolton. I am not from Bolton. I don't support Bolton. All I care about is professional football staying in Oldham.

I think you miss the point... They cared about moving "away from the town" (their words)... I doubt they care all that much these days...

I think you miss the point... They cared about moving "away from the town" (their words)... I doubt they care all that much these days...

Well I'm sure it still bothers them a bit, but they could learn to accept it as they are still in Bolton. There are places in Oldham I wouldn't be best pleased about moving to (Failsworth, for example) but I could accept it. Moving professional football out of Oldham would be unacceptable.

Well I'm sure it still bothers them a bit, but they could learn to accept it as they are still in Bolton. There are places in Oldham I wouldn't be best pleased about moving to (Failsworth, for example) but I could accept it. Moving professional football out of Oldham would be unacceptable.

Maybe unacceptable to you but not to me and many more...

Let battle commence :)

I really hope Corney has the balls to do what is right for the club instead of appeasing a view point that will continue to see this club die.... If i have one criticism of the board is listening to the fans... Generally speaking I don't think the fans get it right...

Where talking moving the ground a couple of miles in one direction or another... Its not as big as deal as is being made out...

Edited by oafc0000

Leaving Oldham without a professional football club would be a pretty damn huge deal tbh.

Oldham Athletic will still be Oldham's football team... fact... Only difference for me will be spending a bit longer on the 409 up Rochdale road...IF it was moved more towards Rochdale... The cost of travel would not even go up for me...

One positive is any business rate will go to Rochdale council... Awesome... Got no time for Oldham Council :)

Edited by oafc0000