Corney asked Rochdale about possible ground share

Sweet lord why would you bring that up!? People are already pissed! :lol:

:laught16:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :grin:

It just crossed my mind that, "WE'LL SHARE WITH NOBODY!" didn't sound quite so great if you added, "except for a rugby club that can't afford the rent and is perpetually a week away from extinction..."

Damn, I've gone and made it worse now haven't I? :unsure:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why else would 3 succesful business men with no interest or affinity to Oldham bother, as long as they have the best interest of the club I'm happy but we should always know they are not fans, It was a business decision to buy the club - the land we are situated on is the only possesion of any note

Nail on head... :huh:

btw..i use to be "Downender"...re incarnated as "Downender2" B)

I just think it's a no-brainer. There needs to be some sort of rebranding and rebirth here.

I also think that the existing site at Boundary Park isn't big enough (believe it or not) to accomodate the potential a new stadium could attract. And in any case, refurbing BP isn't going to be easy.

However, and this is an appeal to TTA - if you are planning to refurb BP, can you please make sure you sort out the Chaddy End bogs Broadway side first, it's like a throwback to the twenties - you can get cholera in there I'm sure - a jokes a joke....

However, and this is an appeal to TTA - if you are planning to refurb BP, can you please make sure you sort out the Chaddy End bogs Broadway side first, it's like a throwback to the twenties - you can get cholera in there I'm sure - a jokes a joke....

:lol:

I think this is the problem at BP right now. Small details like a £300 investment in cleaning up the lavs would go some way to appeasing fans... but it's not happened.

I can appreciate arguments for AND against a ground-share, but deep down it really depresses me. So does the idea of not having a ground within the Oldham/Chaddeton/Shaw/Royton area (I wouldn't even want a ground in Failsworth and Saddleworth as they have no historical ties to Oldham). Maybe the ground-share is the best way forward, but it still doesn't feel right. OAFC should be playing at Boundary Park in their own stadium.

I can appreciate arguments for AND against a ground-share, but deep down it really depresses me. So does the idea of not having a ground within the Oldham/Chaddeton/Shaw/Royton area (I wouldn't even want a ground in Failsworth and Saddleworth as they have no historical ties to Oldham). Maybe the ground-share is the best way forward, but it still doesn't feel right. OAFC should be playing at Boundary Park in their own stadium.

See this I can accept. That you want it to stick to tradition but you accept that compromise has to be made... it's the steadfast "I would never go again" attitude which I think is narrowminded and shortsighted. We're not the team we were 15 years ago and whilst we all wish we were we need to accept that without change in some form (be that at BP or elsewhere, on our own or with another team or whatever) we're going to struggle to survive.

I just think it's a no-brainer. There needs to be some sort of rebranding and rebirth here.

I also think that the existing site at Boundary Park isn't big enough (believe it or not) to accomodate the potential a new stadium could attract. And in any case, refurbing BP isn't going to be easy.

Like you said rummy,

Doing nothing and carrying on in a festering 3 sided dump of a ground, losing money year on year, is not an option.

Like you said rummy,

Doing nothing and carrying on in a festering 3 sided dump of a ground, losing money year on year, is not an option.

I don't think anyone is on about 'doing nothing', mate. Far from it. We were led to believe the club, far from doing nothing, would be redeveloping the current site and now we get this bombshell - you must understand how some of us feel right now. Obviously, I appreciate it's all speculation at the minute, but a ground-share has clearly now got onto TTA's agenda.

As I said in my previous post though - I appreciate the arguments FOR & AGAINST and can only hope that whichever we go, it turns out to be for the best. But if it were up to me we'd be staying put.

Edited by Yard Dog

I don't think anyone is on about 'doing nothing', mate. Far from it. We were led to believe the club, far from doing nothing, would be redeveloping the current site and now we get this bombshell - you must understand how some of us feel right now. Obviously, I appreciate it's all speculation at the minute, but a ground-share has clearly now got onto TTA's agenda.

As I said in my previous post though - I appreciate the arguments FOR & AGAINST and can only hope that whichever we go, it turns out to be for the best. But if it were up to me we'd be staying put.

I dont think a ground share would be anyones first choice, and in all honesty I doubt it is TTA's, and if it was up to me, we would either be staying put or moving to another site within the borough of Oldham.

But like some on here, I would not instantly turn my nose up at the possibility of a groundshare or a move outside the borough, as long as it wasnt a million miles away and as long as valid reasons can be given for moving outside the borough as opposed to a site within the borough

It was the same in the early 1990s, but many who had never seen Latics play before waved the flag simply because it's their town and at last there was something to be proud of.

True but I was brought up in Bacup (yeah yeah) and have no link or affinity to the town of Oldham or it's people whatsoever. But late 80's early 90's when I was growing up there was only one team to follow up in them there hills. It was cool to be a Latics fan and I was by no means alone. Bacup was blue once...ok and a bit of claret.

E4e

DINGL

True but I was brought up in Bacup (yeah yeah) and have no link or affinity to the town of Oldham or it's people whatsoever. But late 80's early 90's when I was growing up there was only one team to follow up in them there hills. It was cool to be a Latics fan and I was by no means alone. Bacup was blue once...ok and a bit of claret.

E4e

DINGL

Brought up in Littleborough ... pretty much same story for me and my mates (at the time) except my family is from Oldham (and watched Yeds from an early age) so some connection for me. For a while there was a whole posse of us at Wardle high school who would travel to home games and catch the coach to a few aways. Thought everyone else had stopped going many moons ago ..... but recently seen a few of them about at the odd game.

I will Start as I mean to go on, I am totally against the Idea and I would go as far as saying I want Simon Corney out of this club!

For starters Simon Corney has his own Agenda and needs to realise if he’s so concerned with the Finance side 24/7 he may as well get out now because this club is far from a gold mine and will never make a profit in any division.

Simon is coming across as a complete fool I bet his partners hate his renegade/big mouth approach and his “pipe dream” will cause a definite rift with the other investors and Alienate fans further.

I am totally against the idea of ground sharing and I can see this as his first step in his ’master plan’ with his next line being

“well what’s the point in two teams struggling why not merge the clubs completely?”

This is the start of the end for Oldham Athletic Football Club and Corney is only partly to blame.

The real culprits are the people of Oldham!

:ranting:

I will Start as I mean to go on, I am totally against the Idea and I would go as far as saying I want Simon Corney out of this club!

For starters Simon Corney has his own Agenda and needs to realise if he’s so concerned with the Finance side 24/7 he may as well get out now because this club is far from a gold mine and will never make a profit in any division.

Simon is coming across as a complete fool I bet his partners hate his renegade/big mouth approach and his “pipe dream” will cause a definite rift with the other investors and Alienate fans further.

I am totally against the idea of ground sharing and I can see this as his first step in his ’master plan’ with his next line being

“well what’s the point in two teams struggling why not merge the clubs completely?”

This is the start of the end for Oldham Athletic Football Club and Corney is only partly to blame.

The real culprits are the people of Oldham!

:ranting:

"So, caller, "Kyle," of Ashton-Under-Lyne, could you clarify your objections to the vaguely raised suggestions put forward by multi-million-pound losing investor in Oldham Athletic, Simon Corney, potentially taking the club out of the borough of Oldham?"

I'm thinking I remember it being one of the biggest sites of the whole 92 clubs? Given that we won planning permission for 700 housing units, 49,386 cars, a 16,000 seater stadium and a bagel shop I reckon it's a fair fit!

Damn right about that piss-hole though. Makes you yearn for the RRE, where the smoke will kill any germs (as well as any kids that pass through them)

"So, caller, "Kyle," of Ashton-Under-Lyne, could you clarify your objections to the vaguely raised suggestions put forward by multi-million-pound losing investor in Oldham Athletic, Simon Corney, potentially taking the club out of the borough of Oldham?"

"Sorry DJ LL My mum said its time for bed now and I have to put the phone down now bye............................" :grin:

I know how my post comes across and its probably nothing to worry about but I am increasingly starting to get peed off with corney and his gob!!

Why is it nothing is a secret at this club anymore and to reveal this earth shattering news at such an early stage what sort of reaction does he expect?

Its turning into a complete farce this club with dealing with its affairs like this.

The only League table we would top these days is the one entitled 'Most stressful clubs to support' :disappointed:

"Sorry DJ LL My mum said its time for bed now and I have to put the phone down now bye............................" :grin:

I know how my post comes across and its probably nothing to worry about but I am increasingly starting to get peed off with corney and his gob!!

Why is it nothing is a secret at this club anymore and to reveal this earth shattering news at such an early stage what sort of reaction does he expect?

Its turning into a complete farce this club with dealing with its affairs like this.

The only League table we would top these days is the one entitled 'Most stressful clubs to support' :disappointed:

Well you have most the fans screaming for transparency... well your getting it...

All this is a massive overeation... The club are just exploring the possabilities and rightly so...

I dont share your fear of a merger... I dont think for a second anyone would be interested in that... Including Corney...

I'm thinking I remember it being one of the biggest sites of the whole 92 clubs? Given that we won planning permission for 700 housing units, 49,386 cars, a 16,000 seater stadium and a bagel shop I reckon it's a fair fit!

I dare say one could fit all that in there, but would it be accommodating? :censored:. I can't get off the bloody car park now, and getting off the 627 when there's a sale on at Comet is a bloody nightmare n'all sometimes.

Well you have most the fans screaming for transparency... well your getting it...

All this is a massive overeation... The club are just exploring the possabilities and rightly so...

I dont share your fear of a merger... I dont think for a second anyone would be interested in that... Including Corney...

Transparency is a great thing to have but the transparency that I would like to see in this instance is the reasons why he has done this and his thoughts behind it and what he’s ultimately trying to achieve and any other options available.

You say you dont think anyone including corney would be interested in a merger but did you see the ground share with Rochdale coming?

Especially after the long drawn out planning victory over the refurbishment of Boundary park?

I think this is a sign that corney is not a man to be trusted and doesn’t have Oldham Athletic at heart, I hope I am wrong but this whole affair has left a bitter taste……..

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I dare say one could fit all that in there, but would it be accommodating? :censored:. I can't get off the bloody car park now, and getting off the 627 when there's a sale on at Comet is a bloody nightmare n'all sometimes.

Tsk, go back to the plastercine models of Stalinist tower blocks. It took me a while, it's the vast area behind and above the RRE. And don't worry about the transport, since everyone agreed to the C-Charge the Council are laying on hover-buses for everyone. Everyone's a WINNER!!!

Damn right about that piss-hole though. Makes you yearn for the RRE, where the smoke will kill any germs (as well as any kids that pass through them)

And surely, given all the agonies of the planning process, they would have checked that the site was big enough for the plan. We can't start altering reality as the straw of an hypothetical new stadium is grasped at.

I think this is a sign that corney is not a man to be trusted and doesn’t have Oldham Athletic at heart, I hope I am wrong but this whole affair has left a bitter taste……..

If you had ever had the opportunity to have a conversation with Simon Corney, about the club, about his love for football, about his ambitions for Oldham Athletic, then you would realise how wrong you are.

Yes he speaks out and I'm sure says things that Simon Blitz wishes he wouldn't, but you've totally misread his motives. It's because he DOES care, not due to some hidden agenda.