Bury: Directions, Beer & Food

At Gigg Lane, Bury BL09 9HR, Latics supporters will be in the Bridge Group West Stand (Manchester Road End), where the first few rows seem to be lower than the pitch, and are steeped at less of a gradient than the rows further back. The stand does not span the entire length of the goal line, but it is well covered and the low roof generates a decent atmosphere when there is any singing.

Disabled supporters should use gate 2 and there is a disabled toilet next to the wheelchair enclosure. All allocated spaces are pitchside, but slightly elevated. Whilst the club does not require advanced notification of all disabled supporters visiting Gigg Lane, it is requested that any supporters with special requests notify the Disability Liaison Officer in advance on 07970 291713.

There are also six spaces for visually impaired supporters in the Main Stand with commentary provided by hospital radio.

Any supporters with mobility problems should notify stewards at the ground on arrival who will advise them of a suitable seat from which to watch the game

How to get there:

By road:

M60: Leave the M60 at junction 17, following signs towards Whitfield on the A56. Follow signs ‘A56’ towards Bury through the set of traffic lights by McDonald's, and after passing the Bear Head, turn right at the lights (still signposted towards Bury) onto Manchester Road and follow signs towards the town centre. After approximately a mile, turn right* into Gigg Lane.

* Note that Gigg Lane is normally closed on match days.

M66: Leave the M66 at Junction 3. Take the left hand exit at the junction and follow this road until you come to the junction with the A56 Manchester Road. At this T-junction which has traffic lights, turn right towards Bury. You will pass the Swan & Cemetery pub on your left and then some playing fields. At the end of the playing fields just before the traffic lights and a couple of pubs, turn right* into Gigg Lane for the ground.

Alternative directions from Junction 2 of the M66 from where the ground is signposted: Take the A58 towards Bury and at the second set of traffic Lights, turn left onto Heywood Street (B6219). Go Straight over a mini roundabout and at the next roundabout, turn right onto Wellington Road (still the B6219). Follow this road to the end, where you will come to a T-junction. Turn left onto the A56 (signposted Manchester). After passing through a set of traffic lights, turn Left* into Gigg Lane for the ground.

Car parking:

There are approximately a dozen car park spaces at the ground reserved for disabled supporters.

There is no parking in Gigg Lane itself (and the road can be closed) but many of the surrounding streets are without parking restrictions . If you are really struggling, there are a couple of roads on the right of Manchester Road, which tend to have spaces, or, if you fancy going into town first, there are several pay and display car parks in the town centre, around 10 minutes away, the closest being at the top of Manchester Road and on Knowsley Street. Charges are generally around £1.70 for up to 3 hours and £3.50 if you stay over the 3 hours.

By Metrolink:

Due to work in progress disrupting the Manchester Metrolink, the service to Bury only operates from Victoria Station (every 12 minutes).

Gigg Lane is about a 15 minute walk from Bury Metrolink Station. Turn left out of station along a pedestrian walkway going underneath the dual carriageway. On the other side of the dual carriageway turn right towards the Town Hall. Just before the Town Hall. Then left into Knowsley Street and at the bottom of Knowsley Street turn left onto the main A56 Manchester Road. Go straight along Manchester Road for about half a mile and you will reach Gigg Lane on your left.

Services from Bury run back into Manchester until the early hours.

By bus:

The 93 (Stand B, 135 (Stand A), 137 (Stand C), 494 (Stand G), 524 (Stand D) all run at regular intervals from the transport interchange down Manchester Road past the end of Gigg Lane.. Journey time depends on which service you take, but you should allow 15 minutes for the bus ride and the walk to the ground.

By taxi:

There is a taxi rank between the Metrolink station and the bus station in Bury Interchange. Taxi could be a cheaper option than the bus, and if needed, try Bury Cabsway on tel. 0161 764 3232, Bury Kars on tel. 0161 797 4999 or Bullitt Cars on tel. 0161 763 9111.

Where to eat and drink:

There is a supporters’ club at the ground, which sometimes allows in small numbers of away fans, for a charge (£1). The bar serves food, there is a large screen TV and a separate children's area

There are plenty of pubs around the ground and along Manchester Road in particular.

The Swan & Cemetery, about a ten minute walk from the ground, is a Thwaites pub, serving good hand-pulled beer and has a separate restaurant area with children welcome. It also has a car park and a beer garden.

The Pack Horse welcomes children and gets busy when showing the early kick-offs on the large screen TV. Food is limited to sandwiches and rolls, but there is a conveniently situated chippy around the corner from it.

The Staff Of Life is the nearest pub to the ground. It is a basic pub for lovers of hand-pulled J.W. Lees ales.

The Rose & Crown is around a 10 minutes walk from the ground just off the A56 by the town centre. It serves food but is limited to sandwiches on a Saturday lunchtime though children are welcome.

Also recommended on Manchester Road, is the Waterloo, nearer the town centre,.

Foodwise there is a Chicago Rock Café, Pizza Hut, Burger King and a fish and chip restaurant near the transport interchange.

There is also the usual range of McDonald’s, KFC, Chiquito and Frankie & Benny’s in town or on one of the many retail parks on the outskirts.

Along the A56 there are Italian, kebabs, Chinese and the usual array of pizzas and chippies.

When in Rome…..or rather when in Bury it is customary to sample the famous black pudding from Stall No 5, Edward Block, Bury Open Market, which has been trading for over 40 years.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Nah,

To do that I have to turn right, turn right, turn right, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right.

Jee, whizz, if we are all doing that.

Turn right,turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left.

Wow, I thought it would be further.

Jee, whizz, if we are all doing that.

Turn right,turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn right, turn left.

Wow, I thought it would be further.

Thanks, no wonder I kept missing kick off last season

Don't get a private hire cab in Bury they are :censored: expensive and the reliability is not superb. Loads of buses run down Manchester Road and they are all as quick as each other. Anyone trying to get a tram at St. peter's sq is going to be :censored: out of luck- the trams ain't running from there (keep your copied info up to date Diego that's been going on for ages). Anyone daft enough to pay for parking in Bury town centre is asking for trouble (park in either the Tesco car park or the asda car park- have to buy summat from asda). But to be honest you won't have to park in the town centre unless you are going to park, then go to some of the standard town centre pubs, then go to the game. There is loads of parking nearer than the bottom of Knowsley St to Gigg Lane- try round the back of the rose and crown if really really stuck. Oh and if anybody underage wants to know where to buy stuff you can't normally buy if you are try the paper shop opposite the bus station (worked for me in my youth).

Don't get a private hire cab in Bury they are :censored: expensive and the reliability is not superb. Loads of buses run down Manchester Road and they are all as quick as each other. Anyone trying to get a tram at St. peter's sq is going to be :censored: out of luck- the trams ain't running from there (keep your copied info up to date Diego that's been going on for ages). Anyone daft enough to pay for parking in Bury town centre is asking for trouble (park in either the Tesco car park or the asda car park- have to buy summat from asda). But to be honest you won't have to park in the town centre unless you are going to park, then go to some of the standard town centre pubs, then go to the game. There is loads of parking nearer than the bottom of Knowsley St to Gigg Lane- try round the back of the rose and crown if really really stuck. Oh and if anybody underage wants to know where to buy stuff you can't normally buy if you are try the paper shop opposite the bus station (worked for me in my youth).

If you're going to Park. You may as well just stick it on one of the side streets off Manny Road and then walk up. No reason to pay for parking at Gigg Lane or in the town centre.

As for the pubs. There's the Bury social club at the ground which charges a quid to get in. They'll let anyone in for a friendly game i'd imagine.

Manchester Road and the other surrounding pubs arent as close as the description makes out. "surrounding the ground." - erm, nope. Manchester Road is about a 10/15 minute walk away. A few of those pubs arent really recommended in the past when i've been. Then again, the 4 times i've been in the past few season have all involved Rochdale. Which results in all Bury's herberts coming out to show their pavement dancing skills.

MONKEY TOWN!

By Metrolink:

need to change that mate!

NO trams run through the city centre at the moment and not until November at the earliest!!

you need to get yourself to victoria if you want a tram up towards bury (every 12 mins!)

if you come into town on the Altrincham/Eccles line it will go no further than St Peters Sq .. then a bus link to victoria that stops frequently and takes over 15 mins .. and thats assuming the driver sets off as you board! if not add another 20 mins!!!

my advice ... walk to Victoria and get the tram from there!!

...Anyone trying to get a tram at St. peter's sq is going to be :censored: out of luck- the trams ain't running from there (keep your copied info up to date Diego that's been going on for ages)...

Thanks to you and thetramdriver for this local knowledge. I've edited the original post accordingly.

If you're going to Park. You may as well just stick it on one of the side streets off Manny Road and then walk up. No reason to pay for parking at Gigg Lane or in the town centre.

As for the pubs. There's the Bury social club at the ground which charges a quid to get in. They'll let anyone in for a friendly game i'd imagine.

Manchester Road and the other surrounding pubs arent as close as the description makes out. "surrounding the ground." - erm, nope. Manchester Road is about a 10/15 minute walk away. A few of those pubs arent really recommended in the past when i've been. Then again, the 4 times i've been in the past few season have all involved Rochdale. Which results in all Bury's herberts coming out to show their pavement dancing skills.

MONKEY TOWN!

If Bury is now Monkey Town, WTF is Heywood (and Rochdale for that matter) ??? Prehistoric Monkey Town ?

If Bury is now Monkey Town, WTF is Heywood (and Rochdale for that matter) ??? Prehistoric Monkey Town ?

Heywood is the land where time forgot. The place no one wants to associate itself with, even though both towns either side are sh*tholes. :grin:

My directions.

Turn right, turn right, turn left, turn right.

Easy.

I liek this one.

I ahve to go reverse, right, right, left, right, right, left, left, left onto M20.

Left, Right onto M25, left, right onto M11, left, right M18, left right M1, right into middle lane, irght into outside lane to vertake the car stuck in the idlde lane even though there are no cars nearby, right, right, right, right right, right, left, right, rigt left, left, left left

255 miles according to the RAC!

I am going to LaserQuest, McDonalds and then watching Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince :tongue1:

I know, it's harsh isn't it. I'm off to Barcelona and Perpignan for an extended weekend to watch Catalan v Harlequins. Not sure why yet*, it just seemed something to do.

*Well, it's because my brother and I got razzed up at Durham v Lancs and then went on the Internet on returning to the house.