Chris O'Grady this season...

Verdict on O'Grady  

188 members have voted

1. 1. How will he perform this season?

• He'll prove the doubters wrong and turns out to be a class player for us.
    • He'll turn out to be pretty decent, score a few goals and will earn a new contract.
    • He's that much of a turkey he's being headhunted by Bernard Matthews!

Where does he fit in this season? Will we see him shipped out on loan again in his final year with us?

He looked decent in glimpses last season, against Rochdale he did quite well out wide....and then there's our last minute goal against where he held the ball up before backheeling it to Jones who crossed it for Hughes to put away. Stocky fans didn't think much of him, other than a good goal against Leicester they thought he was pretty crap.

He made 41 appearances (18 from the bench) last season and only scored two goals which is quite poor.

So what's the verdict? Is he gonna be a turkey or turn out to be a decent signing?

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Hmmm...I'd keep him just for his chant!!

Joking aside, he was signed as a striker, so people expect goals, but after a few games watching him, he's not a goal scorer, more a target man to hold the ball up.

Also thought he had a decent pace, so maybe DP see him as the striker to run off Pawel?

I think he's useful as could put him on the wing and use his pace, maybe our ginger winger can teach him a trick or two :wink:

It's not that he misses chances, it's that he doesn't really seem to get them. Does he do enough else to justify his place? I think Lewis does because of his link up with the midfield and the way he allows players to go past him. COG can be a handfull, but one that a lot of teams will deal with.

Where does he fit in this season? Will we see him shipped out on loan again in his final year with us?

He looked decent in glimpses last season, against Rochdale he did quite well out wide....and then there's our last minute goal against where he held the ball up before backheeling it to Jones who crossed it for Hughes to put away. Stocky fans didn't think much of him, other than a good goal against Leicester they thought he was pretty crap.

He made 41 appearances (18 from the bench) last season and only scored two goals which is quite poor.

So what's the verdict? Is he gonna be a turkey or turn out to be a decent signing?

chris ogrady hahahahah johnny boy's whipping man, ..chris ogrady is a good striker in my opinion .but abott has just shown him the door ...

COG was harshly treated last season IMO; with the lack of reserve football high up on the list of reasons he went out on loan.

He showed flashes in the fleeting games he played in to suggest that he could be a useful player at this level. Plenty of teams use the big bruiser type striker tactic; and as we have a perfectly good one on the books in COG it's something we should look to utilise too IMO.

Away games in particular i think COG could be employed well; pack the midfield with an extra body & let COG keep the home defence 'entertained' up top - if the extra body is an attack minded midfielder i.e Whitts; then a 4-5-1 formation using COG as the 1 up-top, with flying wingers & a counter-attack mind-set could see us getting a few away day results.

We have; at the moment, a few options with who we have player wise to play a couple of different formations. COG gives us some flexibility up front that we wouldn't then have if he is sold or farmed out on loan again.

This season he has to be given a chance to show what he can do being involved in match day squads.

COG was harshly treated last season IMO; with the lack of reserve football high up on the list of reasons he went out on loan.

He showed flashes in the fleeting games he played in to suggest that he could be a useful player at this level. Plenty of teams use the big bruiser type striker tactic; and as we have a perfectly good one on the books in COG it's something we should look to utilise too IMO.

Away games in particular i think COG could be employed well; pack the midfield with an extra body & let COG keep the home defence 'entertained' up top - if the extra body is an attack minded midfielder i.e Whitts; then a 4-5-1 formation using COG as the 1 up-top, with flying wingers & a counter-attack mind-set could see us getting a few away day results.

We have; at the moment, a few options with who we have player wise to play a couple of different formations. COG gives us some flexibility up front that we wouldn't then have if he is sold or farmed out on loan again.

This season he has to be given a chance to show what he can do being involved in match day squads.

He looks like a nearly man to me - maybe he will get the chance this season to show that he is more than that - it's all about goals Chris - get scoring a few and you're goona be a good 'un,

I saw him away at hartlepool last season before he was sent out on loan and he look really good a great touch but he was playing with davies who seemed to hog the ball alot he never seemd to get many attempts on goal, I think given chance he will do well

I saw him away at hartlepool last season before he was sent out on loan and he look really good a great touch but he was playing with davies who seemed to hog the ball alot he never seemd to get many attempts on goal, I think given chance he will do well
He was a nothing man playing with Davies. Skilful player who, as others suggest, would look a lot better if he could score a goal every third game.

Ooo, that was the day he had his never to be forgotten 'shot on target'.

Unfairly treated by Sheridan, but hitherto doesn't really look like a goal threat. In much the same boat as Alessandra in that respect, although I like O'Grady because he always looks to be putting it in.

Needs to be given a chance and I really hope he takes it, but I am not expecting him to score lots to be honest.

It might be unrelated, but LAtics had to draft extra staff to cope with the queues for the new shirt (event hthough the pictures show 3 people!).

anyone seen Wolfy and O grady training today...!

Seriously though. hope the younger players respond to Penney and the new regime. Not sure they were led all that well last season from the management or senior players.

I like O'Grady, the clear MOTM one time I saw him and nearly always decent the others. Always, always hard working. Shot shy yes, but then it's easier to teach a player to shoot more readlily than it is to get one to lifting his head up.

The reports from his loan spells were disapointing but also surprised me. :(

I think he will turn out to be pretty decent.

O'grady maybe a treated alot more fairly if he actually tries having a crack at goal every now and again. He needs to be braver interms of trying shots and having a go at goal you can say the same thing about Allessandra Hughes and Porter would miss loads but they were in the right place and always willing to have a go at goal result they both scored heavily at this level.

O'grady maybe a treated alot more fairly if he actually tries having a crack at goal every now and again. He needs to be braver interms of trying shots and having a go at goal you can say the same thing about Allessandra Hughes and Porter would miss loads but they were in the right place and always willing to have a go at goal result they both scored heavily at this level.

I've already stated my opinion on COG; i rate the lad & think he'll do a job for us this season, but i would go along with the efforts on goal vibe that a few have levelled at him.

If he can find himself in more threatening positions more regularly in games; then his chances to score will obviously increase; an obvious statement but one that need looking at.

I'd like to see COG do what he has shown he is capable of; he has the great strength, touch & hold up ability. Then he needs to Lay the ball of to <insert any winger or midfielder we have here> and really bust a gut to get into the box & be first to the ball in. If he can do that; he's good for at least 10 goals there straight away; add to that pot shots, corners & the like & he could easily hit 15.

At Prem level; Emile Heskey springs to mind, or Kevin Davis - big strong lads who hold up, link attacks, cause defenders all sorts of problems all game & work really hard for the good of the team. Both of these do that to great effect for Wigwham & Bolton; without ever worrying the top goalscores charts (albeit Davis with 13 last season had his best season to date goal wise)

COG, at our level, can be that type of player for us - what is needed is a partner who can grab you the goals working around the big man, or a number of midfielders who feed off the assists he creates with the hold up / link play. We'll have to see if Messer’s Abbott, Furman, Worthington, Whitts, Taylor, Smalley etc can perform those roles for us.

Big season this for him any road; i hope for him & for us he kicks on & shows us what he's capable of.