Direct Action

I did sometime ago....when thanks to this board I realised what a crock of :censored: the sports section is (I only ever read the Latics bit).

Anyway I thought the Chron was our 'Official Media Partner' or something?! I propose the club boycotts the Chron!!

Oh and Bugby, I've been of the opinion that you've had some unfair stick on here, but you can :censored: off. :censored: !

Edit: Or Richard Hooten for that matter....sorry Tony :blush::lol:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

It seems a few have been boycotting, but I think the only way to is to hit harder int he pocket of the Chron.

MAybe a 1 day boycott,s ot hat the Chron knows the power if Latics fan flex their muscle, but not permanent hardeing of sides.

THe club does need the floating fan after all.

To ignore an embargo is pretty bad from a journo point of view, you just word it carefully don;t you.

Sock it to 'em Alan! Class response.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Chron reporter turns up tomorrow morning... "You ... F*** OFF!" :lol:

Its what happens when editorial get involved in sporting matters... they see a story and utterly forget that sport generally stirs up a much bigger pot of emotions... and then also forget how important keeping Oldham fans on side is to an ailing distribution...

... I'm sure Tony Bugby will be eternally welcome at BP... I dount the same might be said for Richard Hooten now...

Once again they have to take the negative line straight away - do they realise how depressing that is?

Personally don't think boycotting is the answer, by the time any 'impact' is totted up this will have passed. Much better for all fans to bombard the chron with emails/letters outling disappointment with them for always taking the negative line when it comes to announcing development news re the club...after all if 'Oldham Works' as their new campaign says then ANY development is central to the town.

Let they have to spend the time sifting through those.

I did sometime ago....when thanks to this board I realised what a crock of :censored: the sports section is (I only ever read the Latics bit).

Anyway I thought the Chron was our 'Official Media Partner' or something?! I propose the club boycotts the Chron!!

Oh and Bugby, I've been of the opinion that you've had some unfair stick on here, but you can :censored: off. :censored: !

Edit: Or Richard Hooten for that matter....sorry Tony :blush::lol:

:lol:

Isn't the Chron an independent paper - one of the last few?

I'd hate them to go out of business or get taken over by the MEN.

We should campaign for them to improve their reporting. Not force them out of business.

A town is better for having its own paper.

This is undoubted. Local news is vital to a community. But if it's made up bollocks or is actually damaging the community then there's something wrong.

The Chron should go out of it's way to help Latics for the good of the community but instead acts in self interest to run a half assed story that damages the club and it's fans.

I agree that boycotting isn't the best course, but email/letters to the editor to say how unhappy we are to see our local paper damaging the club for their own personal gain is not what we want.

Isn't the Chron an independent paper - one of the last few?

I'd hate them to go out of business or get taken over by the MEN.

We should campaign for them to improve their reporting. Not force them out of business.

Got to agree.

The boards I see at newsagents in Chadderton, Failsworth et all all tend to mention out of town teams or news events that have happened outside Oldham

This is undoubted. Local news is vital to a community. But if it's made up bollocks or is actually damaging the community then there's something wrong.

The Chron should go out of it's way to help Latics for the good of the community but instead acts in self interest to run a half assed story that damages the club and it's fans.

I agree that boycotting isn't the best course, but email/letters to the editor to say how unhappy we are to see our local paper damaging the club for their own personal gain is not what we want.

Or we could set up are own newspaper and perchance one day rule all of South East Lancashire (q evil chortle)!!!! :banana2:

He revealed that a Press briefing for all local media had been arranged for Friday morning at the Oldham council offices when the full facts would be revealed with a strict embargo until Wednesday to enable the completion of confidential negotiations with effected third parties..

I take it that this means next Wednesday (22nd July) and not yesterday, in which case, they've really jumped the gun.

Just as we seem to get on-side with the Council, the 'Chron shows its true face.

They'll be setting themselves up to champion the cause of the Failsworth Dynamos Football Club in a 'David and Goliath' style campaign.

Is it only me who thinks it's a bit unrealistic to expect the local paper to be optimistic about the club than half the fans are?

Not at all. However, I think there is a difference between taking either optimist/pessimist pov and just negative reporting when a 'development' is muted. The article wasn't exactly balanced.

I do find it sad that we have to rely on an 'out of town' newspaper in the Advertiser to take a more positive lead (even if it is balanced) when it comes to Latics news.

Edited by lookers87

Just emailed this to the Chron. Maybe we should all send something?

"I am very disappointed with the general negativity continually spewing out of the paper with most matters concerning Oldham Athletic Football club but it now seems to have hit an all time low with the Uninformed pre-emptive journalism with respect to the site of a possible new stadium development.

It does your paper and arguably our most important town icon no good whatsoever.

Do you have some kind of vendetta or is it just down to poor journalistic decisions?

Should you not be trying harder to support initiatives that would enhance the facilties and standing of the town?"

Just emailed this to the Chron. Maybe we should all send something?

"I am very disappointed with the general negativity continually spewing out of the paper with most matters concerning Oldham Athletic Football club but it now seems to have hit an all time low with the Uninformed pre-emptive journalism with respect to the site of a possible new stadium development.

It does your paper and arguably our most important town icon no good whatsoever.

Do you have some kind of vendetta or is it just down to poor journalistic decisions?

Should you not be trying harder to support initiatives that would enhance the facilties and standing of the town?"

good idea! have you got the email address handy! I can feel abit of abuse coming on...