HUGHESY best striker i've ever seen at the club, give him another year please.

Not even close but that depends on how long you have been watching. Clearly Stitch was better comparing their times at the club. And in recent times I would say Porter was a far better striker than Lee hughes was last season for us.

Edited by Max Damage

Not even close but that depends on how long you have been watching. Clearly Stitch was better comparing their times at the club. And in recent times I would say Porter was a far better striker than Lee hughes was last season for us.

Beckett's finishing was better too 24 goals in 36 games.

If Hughes had an in form Andy Liddell, a midfield playmaker like Richie Wellens and a workhorse like Paul Warne providing the service he'd have scored more than Porter did.

Second half of the season Hughes missed a pile of sitters that could have changed alot of games. Porter was better than hughes in my view. Far more than a simple poacher who scored long rang, short range, and plenty off the bonce. SImply because Porter stitched us up does not reduce how good of a forward he was for us.

Nope; now has offers from elsewhere plus his missus doesn't actually live with him but down in the midlands as I know her

im 2 mins from his house and ive seen him with a young blonde girl from oldham on numerous occassions so i guess hes found a new partner, also previously repeated 'my agent will sort me out' so far seems a poor agent. Dont think he'll sign but the longer no one wants him the more desperate he gets............

Hughesgate continues.........

im 2 mins from his house and ive seen him with a young blonde girl from oldham on numerous occassions so i guess hes found a new partner, also previously repeated 'my agent will sort me out' so far seems a poor agent. Dont think he'll sign but the longer no one wants him the more desperate he gets............

Hughesgate continues.........

Does she drive a TT?

By the way does anyone know who the guy who was stretchered off was ?

no mention on the Bury tannoid system also what are his injuries ?

Mentioned on OS now. The young trialist has a knee injury and won't figure in any more pre-season games, but Latics are to look after him and get him fit again. That's the sort of nice gesture which makes Latics special. :applause1:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1727320,00.html

Mentioned on OS now. The young trialist has a knee injury and won't figure in any more pre-season games, but Latics are to look after him and get him fit again. That's the sort of nice gesture which makes Latics special. :applause1:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1727320,00.html

I'm sure we were stung with that sort of 'special gesture' last season, Yantorno?

Indeed a good gesture though in a game filled with greed and disloyality.

My initial thoughts when the Hughes business started was "Go on then, greedy sod, bugger off". But then I had a think - no mean feat for a man of my advancing years. Hughesy is 33 and probably only has a couple of years left. He'll want to earn as much as possible in that time, particularly as he had 3 years earning about 2 quid a week, or whatever they get paid when doing porridge. Not much chance to save anything out of that and, if his bank balance had a fair few noughts on the end when he went in, the chances are it mostly disappeared to keep his family afloat.

If he's looking to a life after football, what's he going to do? I don't see coaching or management offers dropping through his letterbox, so he needs to earn as much as he can now to give himself a chance of financial security. To do that, he won't just accept the first deal that's slapped in front of him and I guess his agent wouldn't accept it either. So, it's a bit like buying a new car - you shop around for the best deal. Sadly, in Hughesy's case, the deals ain't flooding in and he will naturally want to play at the highest level he can for as long as possible, whether it's L1, L2 or Blue Square North.

So my first thoughts have changed. If he comes back to BP, he's virtually guaranteed first team football for at least a year. It's probably the best offer he'll get. He'll knock around 20 a season into the onion bag. We won't get that quality at a price we can afford anywhere else. It would make sense to let the Wolf go - he's never going to cut it at this level. Let Kieran Lee go on loan - we're well blessed in midfield and, if he can't get past Furman, Worthington etc, he'll be better off playing first team football elsewhere than proving very little other than match fitness in the stiffs. He's still young and could come back next season as just the player we need to take us on further. We could be in the Championship then and a player of KL's undoubted quality in that division would pay handsome dividends with a full season of first team under his belt.

So, do we bring Hughesy back? Yes, he turned into a lazy sod back end of last season and reputedly disrupted the dressing room. Maybe that was because he wasn't stamped on, but we now have a gaffer in DP who is well known as a disciplinarian. Give Hughesy that chance to prove himself again, knowing that if he screws up once more, he'll be out of a job. His reputation would be tarnished further and would have even less chance of finding another club than he has now.

Get him back in, get him match fit with a warning ringing in his lugholes: "Bugger me about and you're gone. Stay and do the job you're paid for and you may even get a season in the Championship". I think the goals will flow, 'cos I can see him and Abbott frightening defences to death.

:ktf:

My initial thoughts when the Hughes business started was "Go on then, greedy sod, bugger off". But then I had a think - no mean feat for a man of my advancing years. Hughesy is 33 and probably only has a couple of years left. He'll want to earn as much as possible in that time, particularly as he had 3 years earning about 2 quid a week, or whatever they get paid when doing porridge. Not much chance to save anything out of that and, if his bank balance had a fair few noughts on the end when he went in, the chances are it mostly disappeared to keep his family afloat.

If he's looking to a life after football, what's he going to do? I don't see coaching or management offers dropping through his letterbox, so he needs to earn as much as he can now to give himself a chance of financial security. To do that, he won't just accept the first deal that's slapped in front of him and I guess his agent wouldn't accept it either. So, it's a bit like buying a new car - you shop around for the best deal. Sadly, in Hughesy's case, the deals ain't flooding in and he will naturally want to play at the highest level he can for as long as possible, whether it's L1, L2 or Blue Square North.

So my first thoughts have changed. If he comes back to BP, he's virtually guaranteed first team football for at least a year. It's probably the best offer he'll get. He'll knock around 20 a season into the onion bag. We won't get that quality at a price we can afford anywhere else. It would make sense to let the Wolf go - he's never going to cut it at this level. Let Kieran Lee go on loan - we're well blessed in midfield and, if he can't get past Furman, Worthington etc, he'll be better off playing first team football elsewhere than proving very little other than match fitness in the stiffs. He's still young and could come back next season as just the player we need to take us on further. We could be in the Championship then and a player of KL's undoubted quality in that division would pay handsome dividends with a full season of first team under his belt.

So, do we bring Hughesy back? Yes, he turned into a lazy sod back end of last season and reputedly disrupted the dressing room. Maybe that was because he wasn't stamped on, but we now have a gaffer in DP who is well known as a disciplinarian. Give Hughesy that chance to prove himself again, knowing that if he screws up once more, he'll be out of a job. His reputation would be tarnished further and would have even less chance of finding another club than he has now.

Get him back in, get him match fit with a warning ringing in his lugholes: "Bugger me about and you're gone. Stay and do the job you're paid for and you may even get a season in the Championship". I think the goals will flow, 'cos I can see him and Abbott frightening defences to death.

:applause1:

Lee only signed a two year deal, if he does go out on loan it is likely to be curtains for him at BP.

Edited by oafcprozac

I think the goals will flow, 'cos I can see him and Abbott frightening defences to death.

I think they will but neither of them are going to outpace defences. On their own merits they are both good strikers who have in the past known where the net is. My only concern is that our team once again will lack pace. If DP could find another striker whether it be on loan or permenant who has a bit of pace then i would be more inclined to go with him rather than Hughes. Hughes probably would score goals, but as we saw last season we became extremely predictable as we didnt have the players to mix it up.

I am aware though that buying a young, unproven quick forward comes with a risk, and proven forwards with a bit of pace and good goalscoring record are out of our price range. Its a tough one for DP. While my original thoughts were that Hughes could do one, looking at it now we only have Pav, COG, Smalley, Alice and Brooke who can play up front. Pav excluded, the rest didnt get 10 goals between them last season.

Edited by Killens_physio