"We ARE part of Manchester..."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you all the way Prozac, I for one am glad the the club is getting a ground that makes the club viable to run but was never happy with the location from minute one, its in Manchester not Oldham however you look at it,Failsworth might come under OMBC but the postcode for the ground would be M35 making its location Manchester in my eyes. I fear this could be the first step in our club losing its image the way we all know it now and fear what comes next. The ground move is a start and then if name changing is true well, MK Franchise??? I love the club like us all and wouldn't want it to go bust so even though i don't like the location of the ground i'm all for it if it keeps us afloat, but changing our name is one giant leap to far and should not even be talked about at the lowest of highest level of the boardroom.None of us know if it is true or not but i'm just starting to fear were this all ends. If they TTa want to stay a long time then fair enough but i would be worried if they make all these changes then leave not long after and we are the ones left with any choice they have made when they all go back to making there dollars in America. I meet all this news of change with a hint of saddness it seems being little old Oldham at Boundary park is just not good enough anymore.

Why the hell would u call it failsworth athletic anyway? The club is in Royton at the moment but it's not called Royton athletic. It will still be in Oldham (look at an AtoZ) so Oldham athletic it remains? Don't recall Bolton becoming Horwich Wanderers.... Jesus.....

Absolutely right, nipped in the bud in the very first instance.

The very first day that we are not called Oldham Athletic will the very first day in my entire life that I have not supported the club.

When we run out for the first time as North Manchester United, there is bound to be a tinge of sadness but put your prejudice aside, for it is but a name and a different colour. There will still be a token streak of blue across the top of the socks, so all is not lost. As for 'Latics' as a nickname, the whole country thinks now of Wigan, so the change to Northern Devils will give us a whole new marketing opportunity and an identity all of our own. Forget your petty indifference and get behind the NMU team.

See you down at The 'Normanc' Stadium!

Why the hell would u call it failsworth athletic anyway? The club is in Royton at the moment but it's not called Royton athletic. It will still be in Oldham (look at an AtoZ) so Oldham athletic it remains? Don't recall Bolton becoming Horwich Wanderers.... Jesus.....

Or Man Utd - Trafford United?... :wink:

Postcodes don't mean a thing. Houses on the other side of Heywood near the Bury border have Oldham postcodes. Try telling them they're from Oldham!

Lots of Rochdale has OL postcodes. The residents don't think they are Biffos.

Postcodes don't mean a thing. Houses on the other side of Heywood near the Bury border have Oldham postcodes. Try telling them they're from Oldham!

That was a real question. Just want to put it in the sat nav and have a look at the place.

Edit:

Lots of Rochdale has OL postcodes. The residents don't think they are Biffos.

True, I lived in milnrow now in heywood both OL postcodes.

Edited by oldhamains

When we run out for the first time as North Manchester United, there is bound to be a tinge of sadness but put your prejudice aside, for it is but a name and a different colour. There will still be a token streak of blue across the top of the socks, so all is not lost. As for 'Latics' as a nickname, the whole country thinks now of Wigan, so the change to Northern Devils will give us a whole new marketing opportunity and an identity all of our own. Forget your petty indifference and get behind the NMU team.

See you down at The 'Normanc' Stadium!

Sounds rosey...

Your moving quite away from a majority of our fans, Royton, Shaw, Rochdale, Saddleworth, suspect the ground will be further away for 80% of fans, and unless we improve some may see as not worthwhile especially the elder lot.

Saddleworth has always interestingly been very split between latics and 'udders - because of the obvious border-line disputes. Be interesting to think that if the ground was always in failsworth, that I may currently be getting excited about another season down the gayfarm, and looking at my sister in an incestual way. (if i had a sister...)

Your moving quite away from a majority of our fans, Royton, Shaw, Rochdale, Saddleworth, suspect the ground will be further away for 80% of fans, and unless we improve some may see as not worthwhile especially the elder lot.

To be fair the transport links to the end of Broadway are currently very good and will only get better with the arrrival of the Metrolink extension. As I've said i'm quite posityive about the move, we need a new ground and 12-15000 is about right imo. What I am slightly reserved about is the fact we have heard this all before so I will believe it when I see it, although I fervently hope this plan does come to fruition and soon.

The only problem I have is that the club have even conisdered a name change, that is worrying but perhaps wait and see what happens. I know there's a few that are pissed off with me for going public with what I have found out, to them I apologise for dropping them in the :censored:. What I don't aplogise for is gauging opinion on what could be a real possibility and affect each and every Latics fan out there.

Saddleworth has always interestingly been very split between latics and 'udders - because of the obvious border-line disputes. Be interesting to think that if the ground was always in failsworth, that I may currently be getting excited about another season down the gayfarm, and looking at my sister in an incestual way. (if i had a sister...)

It is very intersting this.

At the end of the day, who you support comes down to either nurture or nature.

When I was born I was due to be born at Huddersfield, being nearer to where I lived in sAddleworth. And was part of the west Ridings of Yorkshire. However, I was going to be premature and was a difficult preganancy (and haevn't changed a bit!) and was under the gynaecological-ship of PAtrick Steptoe.

So I was born in Oldham, and it was only a bit of political wrangling that changed it to Oldham.

I'd never support hudderfields, but over the comeing decades, you can imagine more people supporting Huddersfield. At the end of the day Oldham Council is not the greatest rated, so any loyalty to Oldham is nurtured rather than natured

This thread typifies Oldham fans......

I live in Failsworth, grew up supporting Man United. At the age of 14 (10 years ago) I decided to start watching Oldham Athletic, where I soon discovered the joys of it being an achievement when the team I supported won a game rather than wondering whether United won 5 or 6-0. I'll admit my friends don't support Oldham but they do go to the odd game and do support Oldham. Yes, not a lot of people in Failsworth support Oldham, but I changed and so can others.

I'm not going to pretend I know all the history from the so called glory days but it really does seem like the vast majority of Oldham fans live in the past.

How does the past affect the future? Are you all happy to sit in a miserable stadium with no atmosphere - due to poorly designed stands and the fact the majority of fans especially the main stand just sit there watching in silence, only raising their voice to berate or moan - watching players who plainly find it difficult to be motivated playing in the BP environment.

Compare how many players have said the facilities influenced their decision to join against the number who have rejected us because of the facilities??

If it was financially viable for the TTA to remain at BP do you not think they would have done?

They have given 6 years of investment/subsidence to a club who think they have a given right to be in a higher division because they have been there in the past and to a town that is an absolute shambles.

If they leave for which no-one could blame them, where the hell would we be?

The town centre is depressing and full of gimps, the council is by and large a joke. The only positive is the 6th form college.

If I was looking to invest in a football team/town Oldham would be way down the list, I'm sorry to say that given I went to school and college here, but there is nothing pro-active about the town.

This football stadium would change that. For gods sake it would be an extra 5 minutes in a car down a dual carriageway, not much longer on the 24 or 182 bus.

It's either this stadium and a promising future, or a continuation of a football team made up of players wanting one last pay cheque, youngsters who get berrated at the slightest thing, playing in a depressing environment and the club plodding along in this division year after year.

THE PAST IS THE PAST, THIS CLUB NEEDS TO MOVE FORWARD. CHERISH YOUR MEMORIES IF YOU WANT - THEY WON'T GET THE CLUB ANYWHERE.

Manc or Yonner

1974 the clue an area between Manchester and Oldham....

See although thats a facebook group, and not a wholly representative of every one in the area, the general consensus seems to be they dont want bugger all to do with oldham!! so why should this new stadium benefit their area when they couldnt give two :censored:es about us?? move away from BP by all means but surely there must be somewhere better, where it we may be more welcomed?

Wonder what failsworth people consider themselves? Mancs or Biffo's? talked to a mate who lives in new moston yesterday and he didnt realise failsworth was a part of oldham

Mancs. They all do that funny monkey walk and have weird haircuts. :wink:

Proper, innit our kid!