"We ARE part of Manchester..."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very intersting this.

At the end of the day, who you support comes down to either nurture or nature.

When I was born I was due to be born at Huddersfield, being nearer to where I lived in sAddleworth. And was part of the west Ridings of Yorkshire. However, I was going to be premature and was a difficult preganancy (and haevn't changed a bit!) and was under the gynaecological-ship of PAtrick Steptoe.

So I was born in Oldham, and it was only a bit of political wrangling that changed it to Oldham.

I'd never support hudderfields, but over the comeing decades, you can imagine more people supporting Huddersfield. At the end of the day Oldham Council is not the greatest rated, so any loyalty to Oldham is nurtured rather than natured

....and all the little Shanice's and Brooklyn's born under the shadow of BP will forever be taken from the cradling arms of the Royal Oldham hospital draped in their scum blankets. 'twas ever thus my friend.

The town of Oldham has become a laughing stock and BP is a relative example of why. The club has invested exactly the same amount of nothing into the stadium and facilities as it has the on field product. There was a time when the stadia of Oldham and Huddersfield were as comparable as is currently the league status. When the matter of choice is relatively equal, you have a right to expect an equal share. Today, the matter of choice for anybody not seduced by the bright lights of Old Trafford or Eastlands, might very well consider any of the many alternative choices to the North of Manchester and beyond.......and find that (apart from Stockport....and even that is debateable)...........every single one has a far better Stadia and facilities.

For those who know me i am usually of the positive variety so i dont post previous stuff on this lightly... however whilst 30 Manc dipsticks on a facebook site hardly represent Failsworth in general it does suggest the affinity with OLDHAM doesnt exist... The TTA are saints in many ways but on this occasion I (and I am allowed to have an opinion) think OMBC are shafting us yet again by "supporting" what in effect is a move to the edge of town...pre 1974 out of town.

TTA have hands tied in many respects but LAND in OLDHAM is available IF the will was there. A shuffle of assetts would give Latics Our Ladys School site (is it big enough I dont know?) Breeze Hill... whats going on there...housing????

The old gas works at higginshaw not a small site...or is it.

Not trying to rubbish the solid hard work being done for latics BUT it doesnt sit well being in Failsworth. As a kid living in Shaw...would I support my nearest club..Rochdale 2/3rd the distance away??? Just dont like personally the site think its wrong on so many levels. Accept its happening but all the support from OMBC ??? twaddle.

agree 100%

To me although not techincally it feels as though we'd be moving away from Oldham more towards Manchester, with a new change surely thats no different to what MK Dons did, bar a few more miles.

What bollocks! What MK Dons did is like relocating Oldham to Coventry! It’s not like having to get a different bus to get there.

The old gas works at higginshaw not a small site...or is it.

Used to work there. Absolutely huge site. Problem is the old gas cyclinders on the site and the toxic fumes they give off. That's what stopped them developing property there in the past. They strangely deemed it fine for people to work there for 40 hours a week though.

As for the Our Lady site. The education bloke at our place reckons when Oldham College secure the funding they need to actually redevelop the site they will also take the land where Grange school is. The College recently lost out on LSC funding but when they finally do get the chance it seems they'll extend. Grange would then take the Our Lady site which would be needed due to the new homes that will be built when Coin Controls disappears and the new homes on BP.

I think.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Who says coin controls is going? What about the seddon Atkinson site. That is huge and it's half empty....

Coin Controls said a few weeks back. It was in the Chron. The directors think the site isn't suitable enough for purpose any longer.

It's also in tonights Chron Hallam Blue that in 2012/13, Grange will be moving to Royton as part of the Academy plans.

This thread typifies Oldham fans......

I live in Failsworth, grew up supporting Man United. At the age of 14 (10 years ago) I decided to start watching Oldham Athletic, where I soon discovered the joys of it being an achievement when the team I supported won a game rather than wondering whether United won 5 or 6-0. I'll admit my friends don't support Oldham but they do go to the odd game and do support Oldham. Yes, not a lot of people in Failsworth support Oldham, but I changed and so can others.

I'm not going to pretend I know all the history from the so called glory days but it really does seem like the vast majority of Oldham fans live in the past.

How does the past affect the future? Are you all happy to sit in a miserable stadium with no atmosphere - due to poorly designed stands and the fact the majority of fans especially the main stand just sit there watching in silence, only raising their voice to berate or moan - watching players who plainly find it difficult to be motivated playing in the BP environment.

Compare how many players have said the facilities influenced their decision to join against the number who have rejected us because of the facilities??

If it was financially viable for the TTA to remain at BP do you not think they would have done?

They have given 6 years of investment/subsidence to a club who think they have a given right to be in a higher division because they have been there in the past and to a town that is an absolute shambles.

If they leave for which no-one could blame them, where the hell would we be?

The town centre is depressing and full of gimps, the council is by and large a joke. The only positive is the 6th form college.

If I was looking to invest in a football team/town Oldham would be way down the list, I'm sorry to say that given I went to school and college here, but there is nothing pro-active about the town.

This football stadium would change that. For gods sake it would be an extra 5 minutes in a car down a dual carriageway, not much longer on the 24 or 182 bus.

It's either this stadium and a promising future, or a continuation of a football team made up of players wanting one last pay cheque, youngsters who get berrated at the slightest thing, playing in a depressing environment and the club plodding along in this division year after year.

THE PAST IS THE PAST, THIS CLUB NEEDS TO MOVE FORWARD. CHERISH YOUR MEMORIES IF YOU WANT - THEY WON'T GET THE CLUB ANYWHERE.

Well said.

I haven't been on this board for ages. Now i remeber why. What a bunch of moaning aresholes.Oh dear, the new ground is another 3-4 miles away. So what. Oh dear, it has a Manchester postcode. WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT. Rochdale and half of Tameside have an Oldham postcode. It doesn't matter. Get a grip you sad knobheads. It's a very few miles down the road. For goodness sake. I have a 220 mile round trip. You sad people. Get a life. This isn't a franchise deal taking us to a crappy new town in the midlands. We ARE a part of a large connurabtion, and we have been for 150 years. Boundary Park is a :censored:hole. Get over yourselves - 'oh, Manchester postcode, oh, another three miles on my journey.' Sad, petty people. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh, and gien that during our glory years our average was, what, 15,000 at best, i really don't think spending money on something bigger at this stage is a problem. it will obviously make it affordable, at this stage.

Then again, it's on another 4 miles to :censored:lands, so if we start to get big gates which some people seem to have deluded themselves will actually happen we can always ground share!!!

I'm off for another year.

I haven't been on this board for ages. Now i remeber why. What a bunch of moaning aresholes.Oh dear, the new ground is another 3-4 miles away. So what. Oh dear, it has a Manchester postcode. WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT. Rochdale and half of Tameside have an Oldham postcode. It doesn't matter. Get a grip you sad knobheads. It's a very few miles down the road. For goodness sake. I have a 220 mile round trip. You sad people. Get a life. This isn't a franchise deal taking us to a crappy new town in the midlands. We ARE a part of a large connurabtion, and we have been for 150 years. Boundary Park is a :censored:hole. Get over yourselves - 'oh, Manchester postcode, oh, another three miles on my journey.' Sad, petty people. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh, and gien that during our glory years our average was, what, 15,000 at best, i really don't think spending money on something bigger at this stage is a problem. it will obviously make it affordable, at this stage.

Then again, it's on another 4 miles to :censored:lands, so if we start to get big gates which some people seem to have deluded themselves will actually happen we can always ground share!!!

I know, it's pretty pathetic really. My 10 walk to BP will turn into 1 1/2 walk if we move but I'm willing to accept it.

I know, it's pretty pathetic really. My 10 walk to BP will turn into 1 1/2 walk if we move but I'm willing to accept it.

I agree with yours and Big Joe's point, even if he did put it a rude way!

My 30 second trip to BP will now be similar to your trip, but who cares, this is the future of our club. Whatever the club think is best, i'm happy with.

If we have a spanking new stadium which will prove to be a good investment, it could be anywhere in Oldham for all I care, again, if its good for the club.

AndyB what is the postcode of Spotland?

Just cant :censored:in win with some people

very well the postcode is ol for spotland but you didn't read the rest of my post, I said i was happy about the new ground, i said i was un happy if talk of name changing was giong on. So please read the post in full before you insult me sir :grin:

very well the postcode is ol for spotland but you didn't read the rest of my post, I said i was happy about the new ground, i said i was un happy if talk of name changing was giong on. So please read the post in full before you insult me sir :grin:

It wasn't really an insult directed just at you. I am just shocked by some of the negativity about this move. Can't say I am ecstatic about moving to Failsworth but I believe it is a step forward in general.

As for us changing our name I don't think that'll happen for a second

It wasn't really an insult directed just at you. I am just shocked by some of the negativity about this move. Can't say I am ecstatic about moving to Failsworth but I believe it is a step forward in general.

As for us changing our name I don't think that'll happen for a second

i hope not :unsure: , i just hope this new stadium has the desired effect on the club and who knows maybe the novelty of it being brand new will pull in an extra few heads each week. Have you seen the other posts of the new stadium that we are suppose to be moddeling ours on not bad put they not stunning either :grin:

Postcodes don't mean a thing. Houses on the other side of Heywood near the Bury border have Oldham postcodes. Try telling them they're from Oldham!

Aren't postcodes conected to the office where letters for certain places get sorted? Rochdale and Ashton have Oldham postcodes because their letters get sorted and delivered from Oldham.

Failsworth has never been part of Manchester, despite the Manchester postcode. Before 1974, when it became attached to Oldham, it was part of the old Lancashire Conty Council. Neither Manchester nor Oldham. I'd estimate, however, that possible a majority of those who live there have their roots in inner-city Manchester and have allegiances to one or other of the Manchester clubs. That doesn't mean that the club can't attract some of these poeople, but I'd guess they'll be occasional, sceptical fans who will continue to regard themselves as City or United. We always got loads of these for bigger games anyway, in the days of cheap admission charges.

Most Failswathians would consider themselves Mancs. I expect that's why they have the strongest manc accent of all mancunia, desperately trying to distance themselves from us yonners!

Many have strong Mancunian accents due to having parents hailing from core areas of Manchester. Those who go back generations in Failsworth tend to have a slightly different accent, although not an Oldham one. Having said that, many of the younger of these adopt a plastic Manc stance.

Failsworth might come under OMBC but the postcode for the ground would be M35 making its location Manchester in my eyes.

A postcode has no relevance to geography, it's purely a device for sorting mail.

Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium has a Derby postcode, but it's about 11 miles from Derby.

In a vague attempt to get this thread roughly back on topic, I have to say if several people on here started this thread I'd dismiss it as rabble rousing nonsense, but I get the feeling prozac wouldn't do that.

I suspect (read that as hope) that the owners/exec may have discussed the idea of changing the club's name amongst all kinds of other regeneration ideas but would only entertain the thought of actually doing so as a very last resort and with fans' majority approval.

Edited by garcon

A postcode has no relevance to geography, it's purely a device for sorting mail.

Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium has a Derby postcode, but it's about 11 miles from Derby.

fair comment, i suppose i'm just over worried being a yonner don't want any "your a manc now" jokes thrown at me :grin:

here,here.

Wonder what failsworth people consider themselves? Mancs or Biffo's? talked to a mate who lives in new moston yesterday and he didnt realise failsworth was a part of oldham

You'd have to assume he doesn't pay his council tax bill.

According to my postcode I live in Chelmsford. It's 30 miles away and I've never been there in my life.