New ground poll time

Lags

Which style (type) of ground do you want to see built  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Grounds as example

• Wigan (25,000 seats from the off)
    • Colchester/Shrewsbury (4 lego stands with empty corners)
    • Colchester/Shrewsbury (lego stands with filled in corners)
    • MK Dons (Bowl style with 12,000 seats now with stands built from the off allowing further top tier seating when needed)

We've had the announcement, we've had posts of differing thoughts. Some (like me) think whilst we're building a new ground from scratch it would be better (more ambitious) to build a ground with greater capacity than 12,000 others have gone on the tac that 12,000 seats currently is more than adequate and another group have decided 12,000 is fine now and are sure it will be built with enlargement plans in place from the off.

Well we've plenty of new stadia examples already in place at various grounds around the country. On the official announcement two grounds were cited as examples and for that reason alone I have taken it that's what the club propose to build (namely Colchester and Shrewsbury) Now I don't like either of these two ground's for to me they look like lego small club never be big type stadia. They just remind me of Chester City. Everyone jumps on the MK Dons venture, however their Stadium is what I would want. No one can argue with the view's, it's modern design and undeniably built with expansion in mind as and when. For me it's the ideal senario. 12,000 seats now (which I concede currently is plenty) and the build in place for I would guess a further 8000 seats nimimum.

So onto the poll.

Edited by Lags

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like something a bit more characterful than lego stands, but I reckon the best initial design would be four stands with empty corners.

Two reasons:

1. I'm not convinced 12,000 is big enough to make a decent bowl design.

2. For the first expansion stage at least, I would imagine filling in the corners would be cheaper than building on top of a current 'bowl'.

And .... er, 3 reasons ....

3. I quite like the 'traditional' design cues of a the four individual stand model....

and... (er, 4 reasons ... :unsure: )

4. The empty corners allow natural light and air into the ground, helping the pitch and giving a more open feel. Sort of.

Is Darlington's ground about 25K? What do they they average, about 5K?

It must be depressing for the fans who attend, and the players to play in a stadium only a quater full.

Have Latics ever averaged over 12K in a season?

I'd like something a bit more characterful than lego stands, but I reckon the best initial design would be four stands with empty corners.

Two reasons:

1. I'm not convinced 12,000 is big enough to make a decent bowl design.

2. For the first expansion stage at least, I would imagine filling in the corners would be cheaper than building on top of a current 'bowl'.

And .... er, 3 reasons ....

3. I quite like the 'traditional' design cues of a the four individual stand model....

and... (er, 4 reasons ... :unsure: )

4. The empty corners allow natural light and air into the ground, helping the pitch and giving a more open feel. Sort of.

Whilst I wouldn't go against filling corners in would be cheaper than building on top. In the MK Dons senario the top tier is already there, less seating, built from the off.

Is Darlington's ground about 25K? What do they they average, about 5K?

It must be depressing for the fans who attend, and the players to play in a stadium only a quater full.

Have Latics ever averaged over 12K in a season?

Yes, a good few years ago even in the old third division we got over 15,000

Nice one lags...

Well thought out poll....

Personally like the MK dons suggestion...

Is it? Really?

It can only be a well thought out poll is there are no 'guiding statements' - such as 'lego stands' <_< ... you migth as well write "These options are crap, you will be an idiot to vote for them"

... Perhaps you could add after the MK Mongs Option. "Echoey Hollow hell bowl" to even things up?

I personally quite like the Colchester and shrewsbury grounds... adding to the fact that we will have a MINIMUM of 2000 extra seats than on both these grounds (1/5 extra size).. i'd suspect our version may have room for either a larger 2 tiered main stand, or as has been said - filled in corners.

I would also like an option for: "A compact modern small stadium - Something original and unique to Latics" - I think that is an option that everyone would vote for.

Is it? Really?

It can only be a well thought out poll is there are no 'guiding statements' - such as 'lego stands'

Thought it was a perfect description...

The term lego stands is exactly what those other clubs ended up with...

Granted could of put dedicated standing stands..

Thought it was a perfect description...

The term lego stands is exactly what those other clubs ended up with...

Granted could of put dedicated standing stands..

Exactly, I understand the reference, its just the way it is phrased.

I'd be happy with a 5th option of a unique design... but I suppose everyone would go for that one... making the poll redundant. But I think, deep down that is what everyone wants.

Theres also other options... ie. a Hudds-esque stadium.... which has been done on a smaller scale a couple of times (we have thier old team... might aswell steal the stadium.. :wink: )

For me, any Poll should not guide to the opinion of the OP... which this one clearly does.

The words of a man inside an office in July rather than having snow blown into his face in January...

I haven't been to the Dongs stadium yet, but I would have to say constructing a bowl big enough for (say) 20k seats and then putting 12k seats in it sounds like an absolute non-starter for me.

On what grounds though.. It has really worked well at MK....

I don't intend voting as I would rather wait and see the plans first. We might yet be surprised.

However, never, ever, ever fill in the corners of a ground in Oldham. We get that much rain we need the wind to help dry the playing surface.

Also, where is the option to build like Blackpool have. i.e. build the ground to a 12,000 capacity in 2 (or 1) stands and expand when money is available/promotion achieved.

Cheers,

Harry

On the grounds that we cannot afford the initial outlay to do that.

And it looks fecking stupid. :wink:

No offence but I am guessing you do not have access to all the ins and outs of what we / they can and can not afford...

I think it looks good...

As soon as I saw the name Failsworth a small part of me cried, but actually this development sounds like a good idea to me. There're excellent transport links (and it is closer to my house), the land sounds like it is available with a minimum of fuss from the wankers who bleat about keeping Clayton playing fields pristine.

12,000 is a decent size for what we need I think - I'd rather see a well built small ground than some cavernous and empty construction built on the assumption that all the ex-fans will flock back to swell the gates. Besides which the less land the stadium uses, the more space there are for further developments on the site that would generate revenue. The guys who run the club aren't millionaires for nothing either, and I'm certain they'll build something with at least one eye on possible future capacity.

As for what ground I want, I'd like to see one with a good "carbon footprint" - i.e. utilising all the modern techniques available to make these places more efficient and cheaper to run, while also being environmentally friendly. It'd be nice to get one that looks good too, and not just like every identikit stadium that is built at the moment. Metrolink access would be a great addition for match day traffic, and I'd like to see a quality old-style match day pub built into one of the stands. That means no food, just ale and good atmosphere prior to the game.

Oh, and statues depicting the great Paul Murray and the mighty Stefan Stam should be erected outside the entrance to awe and inspire future generations.

Edited by De_La_Vega

No, but it seems I'm more capable than some of intelligent guesswork. :wink:

The main problem I saw with the MK one is that it IS like playing in a stadium that is ten times too big for you. The fact that there are no seats in the top bit doesn't stop it being awfully quiet, soulless and above all very, very empty.

I'm guessing the nailing down of some seats onto a ready made platform is one of the lesser costs and that this original project would be far too out of our current price range.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Colchester and Shrewsbury stadiums, but build them steep and you get a decent view. Just little character.

Either way it's not Boundary Park, and there's always going to be someone unhappy with the preferred option. So, I'd go with the option that doesn't screw the club up forever.

Will we ever get back to that??????

Hope so!

Don't count on it with out a couple of promotions; that was a long time ago, and things change!

Is it any coincidence the Sky's monthly including Sports comes to about the same as two home tickets a month?

Oh, and statues depicting the great Paul Murray and the mighty Stefan Stam should be erected outside the entrance to awe and inspire future generations.

:lol:

The only statue ever erected, depicting a footballer lying on his backside, after he has right royally sodded up like a prancing pony, watching the striker run past him (whilst checking his hair at the same time).

Amazing.