New ground poll time

Lags

Which style (type) of ground do you want to see built  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Grounds as example

• Wigan (25,000 seats from the off)
    • Colchester/Shrewsbury (4 lego stands with empty corners)
    • Colchester/Shrewsbury (lego stands with filled in corners)
    • MK Dons (Bowl style with 12,000 seats now with stands built from the off allowing further top tier seating when needed)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I have some of what you're smoking...? :lol:

I would like a bit of character. Anyone got any pics of the grade II listed Avro building? Maybe the new stadium - main stand at least - could take some design cues from that?

I'd quite like to see a main stand in good old Lancashire red brick.

Can I have some of what you're smoking...? :lol:

I would like a bit of character. Anyone got any pics of the grade II listed Avro building? Maybe the new stadium - main stand at least - could take some design cues from that?

I'd quite like to see a main stand in good old Lancashire red brick.

have to agree some new stadiums are souless empty places..but surely thats down to the people who fill it...

i personally dont want a four sided ground or a souless bowl type stadium.....i reckon it should be shaped like a horse shoe....

give it a bit of character and dare i say..some luck

have to agree at present 12k seats is more than adequate....but i hope they do build something which can be amended as and when....its only gonna take a promotion to start the ball rolling again....and who knows what can happen.....

We've had the announcement, we've had posts of differing thoughts. Some (like me) think whilst we're building a new ground from scratch it would be better (more ambitious) to build a ground with greater capacity than 12,000 others have gone on the tac that 12,000 seats currently is more than adequate and another group have decided 12,000 is fine now and are sure it will be built with enlargement plans in place from the off.

Well we've plenty of new stadia examples already in place at various grounds around the country. On the official announcement two grounds were cited as examples and for that reason alone I have taken it that's what the club propose to build (namely Colchester and Shrewsbury) Now I don't like either of these two ground's for to me they look like lego small club never be big type stadia. They just remind me of Chester City. Everyone jumps on the MK Dons venture, however their Stadium is what I would want. No one can argue with the view's, it's modern design and undeniably built with expansion in mind as and when. For me it's the ideal senario. 12,000 seats now (which I concede currently is plenty) and the build in place for I would guess a further 8000 seats nimimum.

So onto the poll.

The only fault with option four is that it ignores the fact that building a ground with such a small capacity in the first place precludes any need for future expansion, because a 12000 capacity ground (built with the Colchester ground in mind, apparently) is only geared towards lower divsion football. 12000 is adequate for most lower division clubs, although I believe we could still attract more than that for play-off semi-final.

Is Darlington's ground about 25K? What do they they average, about 5K?

It must be depressing for the fans who attend, and the players to play in a stadium only a quater full.

Have Latics ever averaged over 12K in a season?

Yes-on many occasions in the more distant past, and 15000 in the first season in the top flight in 1991-2 (at a time when gates on average were lower.)

Darlington's ground was not built with their real potential in mind, but came out of the half-crazed delusions of their then chairman. 15000 (or perhaps 12000...) would have suited their needs and realistic ambitions.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Yes, a good few years ago even in the old third division we got over 15,000

And sometimes we would get 17-18000 even in the Fourth Division.

It's interesting that we could attract such big crowds for one-off games during the 1960s and 1970s (and considerably more than that in big FA Cup ties) at a time when football was in a depressed state and crowds as a whole heading for a post-war low, when attendances at BP have been so depressed during the unprecedented football boom since the mid-1990s.

12,000 is a decent size for what we need I think - I'd rather see a well built small ground than some cavernous and empty construction built on the assumption that all the ex-fans will flock back to swell the gates.

Again we see the tacit admission that all we need is a lower division ground for lower division football.

Of course this will not attract the lapsed fans.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

And sometimes we would get 17-18000 even in the Fourth Division.

It's interesting that we could attract such big crowds for one-off games during the 1960s and 1970s (and considerably more than that in big FA Cup ties) at a time when football was in a depressed state and crowds as a whole heading for a post-war low, when attendances at BP have been so depressed during the unprecedented football boom since the mid-1990s.

And adult admission was 2/6.

And adult admission was 2/6.

Yes-a major factor. When My dad first took me to BP, he paid 40p for himself and 20p for me and my brother. I can actually remember him complaing when it went up to 60p. But many clubs have been getting unprecedentedly high average gates during the recent biggest football boom ever, with relatively astronomical admission charges.

Yes-a major factor. When My dad first took me to BP, he paid 40p for himself and 20p for me and my brother. I can actually remember him complaing when it went up to 60p. But many clubs have been getting unprecedentedly high average gates during the recent biggest football boom ever, with relatively astronomical admission charges.

Got ripped off.

Again we see the tacit admission that all we need is a lower division ground for lower division football.

Of course this will not attract the lapsed fans.

you really are one negative person arent you...

everybody is moderately happy we will have a new stadium to play in and hopefully attract a few more fans.....yet you always want to put a negative slant on everything you post about...i bet your a real barrel of laughs at partys arent you...

you honestly think they wont build a stadium that can be expanded as and when required???

To be fair to him. He seems to call it right alot. While the more "posative" among us call it wrong.

everybody is moderately happy we will have a new stadium to play in and hopefully attract a few more fans.....yet you always want to put a negative slant on everything you post about...i bet your a real barrel of laughs at partys arent you...

To suggest its only corp who has issues / questions / concerns is a bit mad my friend. A simple scan over these forums would prove that.

you honestly think they wont build a stadium that can be expanded as and when required???

Anything can be exapnded. But at what cost and how is it going to be paid for.

Fact is it would be cheaper to build a 16k stadium now than it would be to build a 12k and expand to a 16k. Simple economies of scale dictate that one. So while it could be expanded in the future. Is it likely to ever be fesiable to extend. How long will it take for the club make enough profit to do this even if it was selling out every week.... I dont accept we couldnt "afford" a 16k now... Maybe we need to strecth a loan... Maybe we have to get that cheaper toliet funiture... But l think we should look at it... We will only get to cash in our biggest asset once and it needs to be right..

Edited by oafc0000

Is it? Really?

It can only be a well thought out poll is there are no 'guiding statements' - such as 'lego stands' <_< ... you migth as well write "These options are crap, you will be an idiot to vote for them"

... Perhaps you could add after the MK Mongs Option. "Echoey Hollow hell bowl" to even things up?

I personally quite like the Colchester and shrewsbury grounds... adding to the fact that we will have a MINIMUM of 2000 extra seats than on both these grounds (1/5 extra size).. i'd suspect our version may have room for either a larger 2 tiered main stand, or as has been said - filled in corners.

I would also like an option for: "A compact modern small stadium - Something original and unique to Latics" - I think that is an option that everyone would vote for.

I think you do everyone else who's made their mind up with the options provided a major dis-service stating they can't see what you see. Perhaps your choice asn't come out top so far so you need to discredit it. Oh to be clever. Colchesters stands are lego like, how would you describe them? and don't forget I've called the MK Dons ground a bowl, even though plenty in threads have called it a soul less bowl, thats not very flattering. Maybe I'll make Gordon Browns spin doctor after all.

Edited by Lags

Of course I'm sure. If there was any real intention of reaching a higher level and staying there, the proposed capacity wouldn't be a mere twelve thousand.

As I've said, nearly all the grounds of this kind of size are concentrated in the lower divisions and are the property of clubs that know they're going to remain there. We are set to join them, although nobody will ever admit this. Therefore there will be no need to expand the stadium.

To be fair to him. He seems to call it right alot. While the more "posative" among us call it wrong.

It isn't a matter of attitude really. At one time nobody was more positive than I. I was convinced we'd win the league in'91, stay up in '93-and I even believed we'd make it in '94. I once believed we'd get out of this division (I was still a believer in 2007, fool that I was.) However, I've learned that 'a positive attitude' can't affect material reality, and the reality is that this club blew it big time a while ago. That's why the new dawns always turn out to be false. The small, lower league stadium we are (so it's assumed) going to end up with is the logical outcome of this.

Guest sheridans_world
It isn't a matter of attitude really. At one time nobody was more positive than I. I was convinced we'd win the league in'91, stay up in '93-and I even believed we'd make it in '94. I once believed we'd get out of this division (I was still a believer in 2007, fool that I was.) However, I've learned that 'a positive attitude' can't affect material reality, and the reality is that this club blew it big time a while ago. That's why the new dawns always turn out to be false. The small, lower league stadium we are (so it's assumed) going to end up with is the logical outcome of this.

Better a small brand new lower league ground than a small falling-apart lower ground?

1. I'm not convinced 12,000 is big enough to make a decent bowl design.

This one with just less than 12.000 capacity at Molde in Norway is a great exmaple of the design Latics should go for, it's cosy, compact, and atmospheric.

molde04.jpg

This one with just less than 12.000 capacity at Molde in Norway is a great exmaple of the design Latics should go for, it's cosy, compact, and atmospheric.

molde04.jpg

Like the look of that, get some corporate in, nad yet keep the worst elements out. Compact too.

You know what? I can understand the fans' desire for ambition at the club, it's only natural. But for me a large part of being a proper football fan is right here in the lower leagues, supporting clubs that actually need it. If Latics were somehow to break the cartel and get themselves back into the Premier League I'm not entirely sure I'd bother going anymore.

The reality, for me, is that I can see us managing promotion to the Championship in the next few years, but - whatever size our stadium is - I can only ever see us being relative minnows at that level, and ultimately I doubt we'd manage to establish ourselves. A few seasons of yo-yo-ing between the Championship and League One might be a bit more enticing to watch than 15 seasons of midtable mediocrity in the same division, but eventually we'll end up back here.

Of course, there is every likelihood the divide between the top two divisions (or maybe a two division premiership of 18 teams each?) and the rest will keep on growing, to the extent that it will be impossible, rather than just incredibly unlikely, for a team inthe lower leagues to break through. In the end, I can see amateur status beckoning for current Leagues One and Two ... I guess the next few seasons will dictate whether or not that includes Latics.

Exactly what I have in mind that.

Suggest it to Mr. Hardy whilst suggesting the cons of a lego open 4 stands.

Molde's stadium is impressive from the outside too, although their scenery doesn't of course match up to Failsworth's :wink:

moldebilde20276pxv.jpg