New Stadium name - Suggestion

Guest FyldeBlue

i think the new home end should be called the ernie cooksey stand ...

Good Idea :grin: after all the great work the ernie flag guys have been doing would seem a fitting tribute to ernie, defo one of the stands should bear his name. e mail Mr.Hardy

i think the new home end should be called the ernie cooksey stand ...

this is a generous idea and i understand that what i am going to say is sensitive but there are many players who have played for latics and have died. many of these players were a lot better than ernie cooksey and i also think, in a good number of years he won't be so well remembered. for me he is not a legend, he didn't even play many times for us and he wasn't good enough to be a legend. however, i appreciate his contribution to latics and i support the idea of a memorial, but not to name a stand after him

this is a generous idea and i understand that what i am going to say is sensitive but there are many players who have played for latics and have died. many of these players were a lot better than ernie cooksey and i also think, in a good number of years he won't be so well remembered. for me he is not a legend, he didn't even play many times for us and he wasn't good enough to be a legend. however, i appreciate his contribution to latics and i support the idea of a memorial, but not to name a stand after him

Well put, I dont exactly agree with you but your opinion gives good reason.

Or 'arena'

I personally like 'lancaster field' or new boundary park, and if the stadium rights were to be sold, would prefer "<insert company name>" sponsored lancaster field/new boundary park

But at end of day £££ talks, and I would imagine the <insert company name> arena/stadium would fetch in more £££ than the above

Yep, I quite like 'Lancaster Field' as well.

The CNCG Suburbs of Manchester Arena

the land the actual stadium will be built onis called lower memorial park,however trying to think of a suitable name with that init will no doubt lead to a morbid approach and linking us with death..something the corp may well want to happen,however i doubt the rest of us would.

maybe an idea in respect of the late ernie cooksey,could be to name the new approach road after him"ernie cooksey lane" of "cooksey way" or something like that.

you could then update the time honoured chant to "walking down cooksey way....to see dave panny's aces "

and in honour of doing the deal with bae systems,come out to the tune of the dam busters or something..dont think there's a song about lancaster bombers

the land the actual stadium will be built onis called lower memorial park,however trying to think of a suitable name with that init will no doubt lead to a morbid approach and linking us with death..something the corp may well want to happen,however i doubt the rest of us would.

maybe an idea in respect of the late ernie cooksey,could be to name the new approach road after him"ernie cooksey lane" of "cooksey way" or something like that.

you could then update the time honoured chant to "walking down cooksey way....to see dave panny's aces "

and in honour of doing the deal with bae systems,come out to the tune of the dam busters or something..dont think there's a song about lancaster bombers

excellent ideas there ..by far and above the best option yet and of course the stadium would be called the lancaster arena

I'd call the stands:

The Jimmy Frizzell Stand

The Joe Royle Stand

The Andy Ritchie Stand

The Roger Palmer Stand

or rather than calling one a stand call it a pen..... the Redfearn Pen.

And call the road leading in off broadway needs a name too.

Bobby Johnstone way?

Boundary Lane

Edited by pukka

Whilst I think Ernie will be remembered by many as legend, I feel He is seen as a legend because of his illness. If was still with us today, the way he would be talked about would be entirely different. He would be talked about as someone who just wasn't quite good enough. The word Legend wouldn't be used at all.

BUT others may say - his spirit and fight is what a club should be about. Rather than seen as a footballing Legend he should be seen more as an insipiration to keep on going. No matter what and thats bigger than football.

In my opinion I dont believe he did enough for the club to warrant a stand / road named after him. - The Ernie Flag I think is a great tribute. No matter where we go, where we are we can take it with us.

I would rather see Palmer, Frizzell, Ritchie and Big Joe Honoured. Big Joe didn't just do something for Oldham Athletiic. He did something for Oldham.

Royle Park for me in a Perfect world.

OR AT LEAST

The Royle stand.

It'll probably be The Vodafone HyperDome though