Is anybody else overly worried about our defence?

I feel Dave Penny has done a good job in his signings so far (especially in the attacking area of the team), but I do have major concerns with our defence. Essentially the only change made to last seasons defence is Brill and Jacobson and I don't believe that the signing of another centre halve will be the soloution. Its pretty worrying, Hazell's confidence seems to be shot and Gregan is not the player he was two years ago, Eardley's future is unclear and you have to wonder if he is fully committed, Lomax is prone to costly mistakes, Holdsworth is a man who wants to play centre mid and was only ever decent at full back and I personally have no confidence in Brill at all (which is probably a bit unfair on the lad, but its just the way I feel).

If we are to push for a top 6 spot then we need to bring defensive re-enforcements ASAP. As it stands I can only see it being a season of mid table frustration for us.

I feel Dave Penny has done a good job in his signings so far (especially in the attacking area of the team), but I do have major concerns with our defence. Essentially the only change made to last seasons defence is Brill and Jacobson and I don't believe that the signing of another centre halve will be the soloution. Its pretty worrying, Hazell's confidence seems to be shot and Gregan is not the player he was two years ago, Eardley's future is unclear and you have to wonder if he is fully committed, Lomax is prone to costly mistakes, Holdsworth is a man who wants to play centre mid and was only ever decent at full back and I personally have no confidence in Brill at all (which is probably a bit unfair on the lad, but its just the way I feel).

If we are to push for a top 6 spot then we need to bring defensive re-enforcements ASAP. As it stands I can only see it being a season of mid table frustration for us.

Whats the score now?

i think top 6 is overly optimistic no matter who we bring in really, however I'm worried about it. With the central mids we have at the moment i would have thought Greegs and hazell should get some cover but the problem seems to be their individual mistakes and vulnerability at free kicks. I also worry about how much cover the defence gets from the 2 wingers esp when they are taylor and Smalley. Lets hope the friendlies have done their job and come saturday all the cobwebs have been blown off. ( or we've signed terry and ferdinand )KTF

I was worried before today with them 2 in centre defence, but conceding 4 today is very worrying

i think the signing of a new centre half is essential

Game finished 2-4 to Blackpool.

Costly mistakes at the back......AGAIN!

yeah its not good but to be honest its not been good for a while now. we have always made silly mistakes that have cost us games.

it does need sorting though and with the season starting next week it need sortin quick

we look good going forward though and i think with abbot we have replaced hughes goal wise

bring on the season!

I'm very worried about the defence, especially the centre halves, costly mistakes again. The trouble is at the mo there's nobody to push them. Come on penney, sort it out quickly! :angry:

It's obvious we have a big problem at centre back and need a pacy player in quickly for competition, however, we didn't have our two 1st choice full backs on today and that didn't help.

Results and performances in friendlies, for me, are irelevant and I would like to think that we can step up a gear for next weeks opener.

Once we get a settled 11 and a month of the season over with we will be able to judge whether we can challenge or not...I'm reasonably happy with the squad we have........We might be waiting for Eardley's fee to materialise and could have a couple more players coming in over the next week or so!! KTF!

Top 6 is very optamistic as it stands. If we can some solid defensive players then we have the makings of a very good side for this league. Everyone will (as always) be capable of beating everyone else. It's those who perform on the most consitent basis that will get promoted come next May and unfortunatley we don't have the players in defence who are consistent enough. We haven't really changed anything from last season's defence (which was very poor). We still have 3 of the back 4 and Jacobson (who looks pretty decent) will not be the answer. DP need to bring in another keeper and two centre havles and possibly another left back as cover for Jacobson. At this point in time I would not be unhappy if Hazell and Lomax we're shown the door, I don't think they are up to the standard and I'm still undecided on Gregan.

Of course I understand it's too late to be making major changes to the defence now and I just hope that at the very least we sign another centre back before the Stockport game, to at least give us some options.

who made the mistakes gregan and hazell? or were lomax and holdsworth involved?

Going off the report, all the goals came from Blackpool play down their right (our left) with Taylor-Fletcher doing all the damage and Lomax, then Steer getting the run around.

Doesn't mention anything re the centre-halfs.

A worrying lack of competition in those positions. 'though.

Going off the report, all the goals came from Blackpool play down their right (our left) with Taylor-Fletcher doing all the damage and Lomax, then Steer getting the run around.

Doesn't mention anything re the centre-halfs.

A worrying lack of competition in those positions. 'though.

Maybe if Jacobson was playing he would have handled Taylor-Fletcher better, but we need a centre half asap

who is Dean Holdsworth by the way, according to the half time report on the OS he plays for us!

Oldham certainly have a better and more options in defence than Tranmere. Ian goodison still hasn't returned from Jamaica for pre season, we have one left back, an 18 year old as our only reliable centre defender at the club at the moment and we have a right back on loan. For friendlies Gareth Edds has played who is a midfielder. Just be aware that you are lucky that you have a defence!

Just got back

We definately need a keeper asap!!! The last two goals I think brill could have done much better with

Marking was non existant for their first two

On the plus side, going forward we looked capable of scoring and very dangerous

I'd agree regarding the keeper. Not set the best impression yet.

We looked good going forward in the first half. Second half we seemed to go about 20 minutes without getting near Blackpool.

Just got back

We definately need a keeper asap!!! The last two goals I think brill could have done much better with

Marking was non existant for their first two

On the plus side, going forward we looked capable of scoring and very dangerous

By the sounds of it, it looks like we might be returning to Royle's "doesn't matter how many you concede so long as you score more than them" tactics,which, if it works, might not be a bad thing.

If it works.

By the sounds of it, it looks like we might be returning to Royle's "doesn't matter how many you concede so long as you score more than them" tactics,which, if it works, might not be a bad thing.

If it works.

Whilst it was only a friendly (only, he says :unsure: ), it didn't work today.

These reports regarding Brill are very unsettling, but it appears he hasn't got two competent central defenders in front of him. What 'keeper would look good in that situation?

Maybe the Fleming move was a mistake or maybe we are panicking way too soon.

Whilst it was only a friendly (only, he says :unsure: ), it didn't work today.

These reports regarding Brill are very unsettling, but it appears he hasn't got two competent central defenders in front of him. What 'keeper would look good in that situation?

Maybe the Fleming move was a mistake or maybe we are panicking way too soon.

i dont think its a case of panicking way too soon, the fact is we have seen it all before

we are just reading it as it is again

Defence was very poor. Hazell heading that, he's not the same player he used to be, so many mistakes. He needs to be replaced.

Brill is playing awfully I feel, he doesn't move, Crossley moved more, so many goals ths season have been one on one, they don't even have to try a decent effort it's all too easy.

Lomax I thought was doing well today until the end some sloppy clearances that he was deaing with well before.

Gregan is alright, worth a first-team place but needs someone next to him.

Holdsworth hasn't done much wrong.

No chance we will be challenging for promotion with a defensive line-up like that. No chance.