Is anybody else overly worried about our defence?

Just got back from the game and agree with most here that going forward we are looking good and will score goals. However the defence is dodgy and allowing weak goals. Not impressed with Brill either! Also think Byfield was poor and running around like a headless chicken again, please don't sign him DP. From what I could see of DP did not look like he was impressed with the goals conceded either.

Byfield didn't do anything again. Parker and Abbot have the signs of a very good partnership though. Furman played well again. Worthington looked like he was feeling his hamstring when he came off, hope both he and Jacobsen are fit for Stockport.

Can't believe Fleming was sent out on loan. DP said he needs games and after Brill's last 3 games, games Fleming would have gotten.

A new keeper and at least 1 CB are needed ASAP

Maybe the centre back first and see if that helps with the apparent fragility of Brill.

There must be something about him for Penney and his staff to bring him in and allow Fleming out (assuming that Fleming wanted away because he was told/indicated he would not be first choice).

Even the best of 'keepers struggle with a defence that has its frailties. Mind you, if he gets crocked, then we are up the creek without the proverbial.

Brill just doesn't ooze confidence. 3 times he has been 1 on 1 with forwards in the past 3 games and 3 times he has been easily beaten. He stays back too much and makes himself a very easy target to beat imho.

Hopefully he will improve as apart from him we haven't got anyone (Ollrenshaw isn't ready by a mile yet)

Hazell and Gregan havent become bad players over pre-season, a lot of what they could be producing maybe down to the man in the sticks behind them or the guys either side of them?

But hasn't Hazell made more than his share of unforced errors?

I agree, they don't become bad overnight. However, Hazell's bad run commenced after he got his new contract and it looks like he hasn't got it out of his system yet.

Hazell and Gregan havent become bad players over pre-season, a lot of what they could be producing maybe down to the man in the sticks behind them or the guys either side of them?

Hazell has been bad since xmas he just seems to be get worse. Get someone in quick. Gregan isn't playing bad, he's doing a decent job. Brill is shocking at the moment.

Didnt Brill win the poll we had on here as to who should be first choice?

bet them people who voted for him wishes we hadnt sent Greg out on loan

I think there was more to Flemings move than we think.......I think that he was probably homesick, Penney wanted to hear that he didn't want to go and would fight for the No.1 spot.......... When he said he wanted to go then that was it!!

Didnt Brill win the poll we had on here as to who should be first choice?

bet them people who voted for him wishes we hadnt sent Greg out on loan

I imagine most who voted had never seen him.

Has anyone seen him take a cross yet in all the pre season friendlies ?

That defensive display was shocking, Greegs and Rubes played like they were only introduced to each other in the warm up, Lomax has no positional sense and has for not so Brill i think this guy has an allergy to footballs, i was quite pleased with the pressing from the front but with everybody chasing from the front the defense was left exposed by our midfields (Whitaker) inability to intercept.

Furman had a good game and i was pleased with the effort put in by Smalley.

Heres to another few weeks of me having the piss taken out of me for us losing to that shower of shiiite, who said friendlys mean nowt.

I imagine most who voted had never seen him.

Has anyone seen him take a cross yet in all the pre season friendlies ?

OK,been to the game.

Abbott and parker look good to me,very good,these two will give sides some real probs this season.

Now,the negatives-

The fkin keeper? WTF? He has to go,PRONTO,he belongs in a pantomine.Defence,Hazzell,WTF? I started to have serious doubts about him last season and he has emphatically confirmed my fears,he also belongs in a pantomine.

So,IMO,we need a Centre half with a bit of pace and a new goalie.If we get those i think we aree top 6 material,if we dont,we're fked.

Dzieki.

I think I confident we have enough quality all over back the 2 centre backs (oh and Brill, who knows he will always be number one choice even if he plays poorly). Having watched the Hyd, Sunderland and Blackpool games I am pretty sure we will have problems at central defence. I see we still have the american lad on trial, he should have been tried out a bit more.

I feel we have top players in Holdworth, Worthington, Furman, Abbott and Parker. Although he wasnt on for long, Stephens looked ok, some good touches and looked confident.

Bring me in another central defender and I will be happy. I especially like the way Penney has the players running the opposition down.

I must also say I have been a little more impressed with Lomax in pre season

Come on you Blues

That defensive display was shocking, Greegs and Rubes played like they were only introduced to each other in the warm up, Lomax has no positional sense and has for not so Brill i think this guy has an allergy to footballs, i was quite pleased with the pressing from the front but with everybody chasing from the front the defense was left exposed by our midfields (Whitaker) inability to intercept.

Furman had a good game and i was pleased with the effort put in by Smalley.

Heres to another few weeks of me having the piss taken out of me for us losing to that shower of shiiite, who said friendlys mean nowt.

That says it all, when Whits is in CM you know its going to be a torrid afternoon.

I think we need to offer eardley a new contract and fast, get him signed up, if he doesnt sign or asks for time to "think" ship him out first transfer window to avoid him gettin away on a free, with this money, invest it back into the defence

we really need to strengthen this defence, so far its been gregan and rubes all the way,

even when rube made costly mistakes yet again, hes now guaranteed a starting spot in the team to take on stockport and thats worrying,

in any other position, if a player is not playing to their best they can be dropped and easily replaced, except the 2 players that were acting up the most at the back end of last season

It's only a few months since people were reminiscing about the glory days under Big Joe, whose philosophy was we're gonna score one more than you. We used to be second highest scorers to the champions and second worst defensive record. Nobody near the top of the goal-scoring chart but goal-scorers throughout the team. Happy days!

Well it looks as though DP has assembled a squad with a similar philosophy, and we could be in for a season of results like the one on the opening day of last season. If goals are guaranteed and we win home games, who kinows.....maybe some of the stayaways will find it harder to resist the pull of their armchair, the pub or even their allotment plot.