this season?

Can't disagree. The point is that even talented, ultimately succesful managers , can need time to become that. And sometimes we need to remember that - even if the times are different it doesn't make them better.

It most certainly doesn't-they're infinitely worse.

Football is a bit of a sick joke now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how come Ronnie was sacked then?

By all accounts because the club owners resonded to fan pressure (and perhaps, if what some people say is true, spent too much time reading these boards). But wouldn't you say that people seemed to dislike his style of football more than the fact that he falied to gain promotion during his first season?

(I was of the opinion that, although I didn't much enjoy his footballing style, he should have been given another season.)

So are all the doom and gloomers who come on here after every defeat in a parallel universe too? :wink:

(Or is that just my wishful thinking...?)

No-they're expressing the normal kind of disappointment at another defeat, and, as it wears on, at another season going nowhere, that existed many decades before the internet.

By all accounts because the club owners resonded to fan pressure (and perhaps, if what some people say is true, spent too much time reading these boards). But wouldn't you say that people seemed to dislike his style of football more than the fact that he falied to gain promotion during his first season?

I don't tend to buy into that crap about style. Yes the 'hoof' thing was a problem, but it wouldn't have been if we'd been effective and were consistently winning games rather than repeatedly looking completely inept. If Ronnie had got us promoted I can guarantee those that drove him out would have been silent on his style of play.

(I was of the opinion that, although I didn't much enjoy his footballing style, he should have been given another season.)

Same here.

When TTA arrived they had a five year plan to consolidate in the Championship (i.e. go up and stay up). However, one of the unfortunate but eternal truths in football is that if you decide your manager isn't going to meet that five year plan and get rid, you end up starting all over again from year 1 with a new manager. So, we're back to year 1 again.... :blink:

Did this five year plan actually exist or was it conjured up from the minds of some posters on here? I don't recall any such plan being officially mentioned.

I certainly remember it being talked about, and it was what SC told me quite early on. I'm sure it'll be in an interview with either one of the Simons but I'm not about to go looking for it... :wink:

Sadly, I feel the only five-year plan that would stand any chance of being fulfilled at OAFC now is if we appointed Joe Stalin to head it up.

Did this five year plan actually exist or was it conjured up from the minds of some posters on here? I don't recall any such plan being officially mentioned.

I remember Mr Blitz saying that they wanted to get promoted in the first season, the interviewer asked what if they didn’t. He said they would try the season after, and the season after etc until the interviewer got bored. I’m sure there was something about where they saw themselves in 5 years, I am sure playing in the 69,000 Boundary Hyperpark Megabowl in the Championship would have been part of it.

We could have Commissar LaticsPete as head of the secret police and 'mean' Harry Greenshirt as chief executioner.

Yes please! And for those who know the history of Iron Curtain football, the police teams were often called Dynamo.

Dynamo Oldham Athletic.

Edit: or Failsworth Dynamos .....

Edited by LaticsPete

We could have Commissar LaticsPete as head of the secret police and 'mean' Harry Greenshirt as chief executioner.

But who will we get to play the Stankovitian labourer who becomes unpopular amongst fellow workers by continually producing 10 times the output that the rest of them do?

But who will we get to play the Stankovitian labourer who becomes unpopular amongst fellow workers by continually producing 10 times the output that the rest of them do?

Tricky one that!

Would he be unpopular with the Commissars too because his output was repeatedly flawed?

I don't tend to buy into that crap about style. Yes the 'hoof' thing was a problem, but it wouldn't have been if we'd been effective and were consistently winning games rather than repeatedly looking completely inept. If Ronnie had got us promoted I can guarantee those that drove him out would have been silent on his style of play.

Same here.

:censored:ing bollocks...didn't happen for Ritchie at Barnsley where fans moaned all the way into the Championship and it would never have happened here. I remember walking into The Royle bar after we'd beatn Colchester at home, 1-0, a player I disliked greatly smashing in a last minute winner. Never seen so many slapped arse faces in all my life! Couldn't believe how all they could talk about was how :censored: the game was, over the fact we'd beaten a promotion rival in the dying seconds (of yeah, a poor game admittedly) and were right in the shake up (until Wellens got injured and the wheels came off) and that Ronnie had to go....still!!! It was embarrassing....it was reaping and sowing as I call it now....

Doesn't wash that line at all that style of play doesn't matter....it was the first and loudest they'd cry about to which I often pointed out this is a results business....didn't make a jot of difference though. Even the lines "I'd rather watch a mid-table team that played good football" were thrown out. They might get their wish this season...who knows?

Edited by boundaryblue80