Goal Line Technology

Latics_Fanatic

Goal Line Technology  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should It Be Brought In ?

• Yes
    • No

well ones things for sure -

With today's refs and linesman ( i refuse to call them assistants)

We would never have won the world cup.

When you look back at what goes on today with weak refs etc , what a couragous decision that linesman made in 1966. At least he had the bottle say yes rather than take the easy option to say "NO".

Goal line decisions will be debated for a long time yet about the technology to stop it etc etc but surely it wasn't required on Saturday.

What are the odds that only 4 people out of twelve thousand or so that didn't see it were all wearing black.

Total incompetence especially by the linesman on that side , he should have seen it without looking, also if all on the bench could clearly see it then why didn't the fourth offical, because he was probably too busy looking to see if the managers were crossing the white line of their technical areas which is clearly the biggest crime in football.

The linesman and 4th official should be sacked - end of .

Bristol city also have a part to play , their players should have had the courage to tell the ref what happened and should hang their heads in shame at the outcome.

Unfortunately this episode sums up football today , its a cheating win at all costs game totally controlled by money but run by extremely weak amateurs who think they are professionals.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ones things for sure -

With today's refs and linesman ( i refuse to call them assistants)

We would never have won the world cup.

Well the whole circumferance of the ball probably didn't cross the line.

What are the odds that only 4 people out of twelve thousand or so that didn't see it were all wearing black.
It did bounce out in an unusual way. Looked a goal to me and every Bristol City player stopped playing accepting it had gone in though.

Total incompetence especially by the linesman on that side , he should have seen it without looking
We sometimes expect a lot from these guys don't we!

also if all on the bench could clearly see it then why didn't the fourth offical, because he was probably too busy looking to see if the managers were crossing the white line of their technical areas which is clearly the biggest crime in football.
Pretty sure the fourth official isn't allowed to rule on the incident.

The linesman and 4th official should be sacked - end of
Why the fourth official? Additionally, perhaps if the netting was a different colour to the ball, the ball would have been easier to see (clutching at straws in defence of the lino here admittedly!).

Bristol city also have a part to play , their players should have had the courage to tell the ref what happened and should hang their heads in shame at the outcome.
I actually buy their argument that they were confused about what was happening.

Unfortunately this episode sums up football today , its a cheating win at all costs game totally controlled by money but run by extremely weak amateurs who think they are professionals.

Human beings are never perfect. Should Abbott have been sacked for not passing to Byfield last week?

Edited by opinions4u

Well the whole circumferance of the ball probably didn't cross the line.

Probably , but it was a carlsberg linesman and he had the courage to give it even if it was dutch courage !!

It did bounce out in an unusual way. Looked a goal to me and every Bristol City player stopped playing accepting it had gone in though.

We sometimes expect a lot from these guys don't we!

It was an elimentary decision he should have made without even thinking ??

Pretty sure the fourth official isn't allowed to rule on the incident.

Then why are they called 4th officials and why are they there - oh forgot about policing the technical area - big deal !!

Why the fourth official? Additionally, perhaps if the netting was a different colour to the ball, the ball would have been easier to see (clutching at straws in defence of the lino here admittedly!).

Looking at the incident - the referee had a poor view - The linesman and 4th official had perfect views just no bottle.

I actually buy their argument that they were confused about what was happening.

Total garbage - they knew it was a goal and should have had the courage to call it.

Human beings are never perfect. Should Abbott have been sacked for not passing to Byfield last week?

There is no rule that says Abbott should pass , there is a rule that says IF the ball crosses the line its a goal and the officials are there to see the rules are carried out.

Edited by losesome

TV replays are far from conclusive anyway. Numerous decisions or none-decisions are still often open to endless debate or there wouldn’t be an army of highly annoying pundits out there. Leave well alone I say. Referees make mistakes the same as players and managers do, it’s just part of life’s rich tapestry.

There's mistakes and there's mistakes, though. A manager or a player doing what he thinks is best and being wrong, is different to the result of a match being incorrect because a legitimate goal has been scored and not counted. To stop incidents happening like the one at Ashton Gate happening again, I'm all for technology, when it comes to whether a goal has gone in or not. TV replays would slow the game down - a sensor should be the way forward.

Personally I think if this discussion is based on the Palace goal then it is a no vote because the answer is blindingly obvious. what complete tool at the FA allowed clubs to put metal bars across the floor at the back of the goal? they are not needed and should be illegal as we will see more of these happen.

Here here, its part of football, doesn't happen every week, last time it happened regarding Latics? Voted no.

Is that Nick Henry or David Currie both against Man Utd, we could have been in the FA Cup Final and Fergie may not have been allowed to stay!!!!!!

Still voted No though, though I do feel for that poor Mr Warnock, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke

Personally I think if this discussion is based on the Palace goal then it is a no vote because the answer is blindingly obvious. what complete tool at the FA allowed clubs to put metal bars across the floor at the back of the goal? they are not needed and should be illegal as we will see more of these happen.

Superb point.

Slightly off-piste with this comment, but how far out of line was Warnock with his comments after the game? What a tool...

Considering that Yeovil are the only team that I have ever seen allow the opposition to walk up the pitch and score to equalise a game, it is highly ironic that Johnson's the man now being labled a cheat and a bad sport.

Also, is it just me or are these unfeasible gigantiforously horrific incidents that require the whole footballing world's attention and the reinventing of the wheel more common these days? And is it just me or do they only ever happen to Warnock's sides? And, crazy as it sounds, could there be a positive link with this exponential increase, their prediliction for affecting Warnock's clubs, and the arch-nob's appearance as a newspaper columnist?

What a bell-end he is, I wish he could be muzzled.

So, we're not bothering going to Peterborough on Bank Holiday Monday, then?

it's a goal because it has crossed the line..the only real thing that matters these days in football! if it's a free kick - ref....if it's a throwing..Arseisstant...If it's a caution or a sending off - ref.

But for feck sake if it's a goal....regardless if it's a controversial, inept, big nosed, yorkshire, latics reject, retired elect moaning yorkshire banker whom is moaning... then it should be a goal and it's nowt to do with the sweet FA...it's bigger than that!

But Fifa will not allow it because it is England that is asking for this more than any other country.........If Italy, Spain, Brazil etc had asked the same question, the same amount of times that we had....It would have been installed feckin' years ago!!!!

there is a lot of talk about having 4 linesmen in the game,

but what about an official next to each goal?

I think these are the main make or break areas, they can then keep an eye out to wether the ball crosses the line or not, is there any pushing or shoving in the box? does the ball go out for corner or goal kick and more importantly is it a penalty or a dive?

reason for edit: spelling mistakes

Edited by thelaticsfan

I think these are the main make or break areas, they can then keep an eye out to wether the ball crosses the line or not, is there any pushing or shoving in the box? does the ball go out for corner or goal kick and more importantly is it a penalty or a dive?

Thats exactly whats being trialed at the moment mate, and i think its a very good idea.

I know they have already trialled the microchip in the ball idea, and although very clever, it was dumped because it wasn't reliable because the chip kept getting dislodged/broken. Unfortunatley thats what happens with technology, it breaks when you least expect it to.

Sometimes the simplistic ideas are the best. :wink:

I'd go along with that. Instead of spending thousands on technology......give someone a job to do. :shock:

Sometimes the simplistic ideas are the best. :wink:

I'd go along with that. Instead of spending thousands on technology......give someone a job to do. :shock:

Wouldn't you need one on each side of the goal.

Then you have to decide who gives the decisions, imagine one linesman flags for a free kick outside the box as they see the incident, the other signals for a penalty, the ref is unsure! Which official does the ref go with?

In my opinion technology should only be used for decisions that are not open to interpretation i.e. has the ball crossed the line. This should only be used once it is 100% accurate. The addition of more officials will only make things more confusing.

No - I say this because it will just slow things down and if there's a slight thought someone had scored the game would be stopped until everything is checked and double checked then referred back to whoever.

There are clear goals and unfortunately last Saturday was one (if it happened to us Id be upset).

There could be some rule where if it isnt a goal but someone asked for the game to be stopped and then checked - then they would have to concede a corner or something but then that just gets silly.

NO no no.

I can immagine some slightly bigger team like Manure still complaining that the TV was lying or something.

Then you have to decide who gives the decisions, imagine one linesman flags for a free kick outside the box as they see the incident, the other signals for a penalty, the ref is unsure! Which official does the ref go with?

In my opinion technology should only be used for decisions that are not open to interpretation i.e. has the ball crossed the line. This should only be used once it is 100% accurate. The addition of more officials will only make things more confusing.

No you would only need one at each end, on the side opposite to the other Assistant.

Edited by tony4938

aye but the thing is if its an important decision and conflicting reports between linesman and official next to goal, the ref just speaks to both, and i would trust the one behind the goal because he will just be watching incidents in and around the box, whereas the other linesman can watch for offsides etc.