Proposed site of new ground

Too easy to be so blunt pal, you've got to offer something else, and a valid reason. The post-code means bugger-all; Flintshire has a Chester post-code yet is in a different country.

Failsworth has some great points - transport being a major one. However, there are major issues as well and I'm not a fan of it truth be told. For all that though it is a bit "toys out of pram" to start saying that you'd not go because of it - if the club is dying because of the costs of maintaining BP then they have to move and attractive sites aren't that common.

Breeze Hill would be a bad site for a stadium - worse than Failsworth for my money. I think the best place still has to be the Royton / Shaw end of town - how about knocking down some of those empty mills or renovating one to be an arena that celebrates Oldham's under-appreciated global heritage in the cotton industry. Imagine a ground which has one stand formed out of an old mill - that'd be unique!

As things stand, it's Failsworth or nothing, isn't it? I don't recall it being reported that anybody from the club has said that we should go away and think about alternatives and then get back to them.

The issue with Failsworth isn't the post code, or even the location as such-other areas of Oldham borough are more remote than Failsworth, after all-but the fact that, unlike most other parts of the borough, it's an area where Latics sympathies are all but non-existent.

Nobody should be thinking that the move is going to automatically save 'dying' Oldham Athletic either. If the aim really is, as the small size of stadium being proposed suggests, to maintain the club as a lower division outfit, it will, combined with the stadium location misgivings, reduce interest in the club only further, as opposed to seeing it thrive.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to Dave Ragg your wrong simple as Tameside has more tics to start with and no pro club in area, largest town without i think.

If you think Failsworth will provide more NEW support than Ashton your kidding yourself. I know its controversial but to some Failsworth is no better. Its Oldham by millimetres and keeps being ignored. If you look hard enough 2/3 of boundary of site is in Manchester.

Hate the new location and personally dont see it has ANY significant merit other than availability and cost to T4A

But at least its in Oldham. By millimeters or not, its in Oldham. Whereas Ashton Moss is 1.5 miles away from the Oldham boundary.

There are not that many Latics fans in Ashton, a few, but not many. There aren't many in Failsworth. A few, but not many. But at least Failsworth is in Oldham. It's not ideal (in fact its pretty far from ideal), but we would lose far more fans by moving to Ashton than we would by moving to Failsworth (me for starters, and it's not because of the distance because Ashton is closer for me), and we wouldn't gain many more. Why would anyone from Ashton go and watch a team called anything other than Ashton? And whats stopping them making the pretty short trip to BP or Stockport now? Plus, anyone with any interest is well covered for local football in Tameside. They may not have a league club, but in Curzon, Stalybridge, Hyde and Droylsden they have a few good standard non-league teams. And why would Tameside council just let us build a ground there without something in return? How long before a name change if we moved to Ashton? And, being a regular at the cinema at Ashton Moss, as well as the other things around there, I have rapidly come to the conclusion that Ashrton is a place full of 'tards. Why would anyone want to move a football team there?

If the people of Ashton want a pro team, they should get of their a**es and get behind Curzon Ashton.

But at least its in Oldham. By millimeters or not, its in Oldham. Whereas Ashton Moss is 1.5 miles away from the Oldham boundary.

There are not that many Latics fans in Ashton, a few, but not many. There aren't many in Failsworth. A few, but not many. But at least Failsworth is in Oldham. It's not ideal (in fact its pretty far from ideal), but we would lose far more fans by moving to Ashton than we would by moving to Failsworth (me for starters, and it's not because of the distance because Ashton is closer for me), and we wouldn't gain many more. Why would anyone from Ashton go and watch a team called anything other than Ashton? And whats stopping them making the pretty short trip to BP or Stockport now? Plus, anyone with any interest is well covered for local football in Tameside. They may not have a league club, but in Curzon, Stalybridge, Hyde and Droylsden they have a few good standard non-league teams. And why would Tameside council just let us build a ground there without something in return? How long before a name change if we moved to Ashton? And, being a regular at the cinema at Ashton Moss, as well as the other things around there, I have rapidly come to the conclusion that Ashrton is a place full of 'tards. Why would anyone want to move a football team there?

If the people of Ashton want a pro team, they should get of their a**es and get behind Curzon Ashton.

you tell them raggy!

Couldn't agree more. Ashton Moss? You're having a turkish intcha? We'd gain no more fans there than we would in Failsworth.

Anyway, the site of the new ground isn't a problem. It's the facilities and everything else to make the club self-sufficiant we need to be 100% sure about.

Couldn't agree more. Ashton Moss? You're having a turkish intcha? We'd gain no more fans there than we would in Failsworth.

Anyway, the site of the new ground isn't a problem. It's the facilities and everything else to make the club self-sufficiant we need to be 100% sure about.

alexandra site could be very workable dependant on the correct planning criterea,and also incorporating other things into the development to subsidise the club,there still isnt a cinema or other attractions in oldham.

could the old warehouse be knocked down..i doubt it its listed.can it be made into something..possibly,but with such an old decaying building would cost a lot of money...

are you going to get people coming to that area of town for conferencing and a hotel etc....highly unlikely i think.

but on a pure stadium and maybe cinema etc its a goer..

ferney fields is still an option,or should be an option it was big enough once and hasnt been built on.

also not sure of actual size but south chad school butterworth lane is closing,moving to the acadamy on broadway

also hollinwood where ferranti used to be,or round the back of the mirror printing plant next to railway....all possibilities

but its all dependant on the council,land prices etc.

Too easy to be so blunt pal, you've got to offer something else, and a valid reason. The post-code means bugger-all; Flintshire has a Chester post-code yet is in a different country.

Failsworth has some great points - transport being a major one. However, there are major issues as well and I'm not a fan of it truth be told. For all that though it is a bit "toys out of pram" to start saying that you'd not go because of it - if the club is dying because of the costs of maintaining BP then they have to move and attractive sites aren't that common.

Breeze Hill would be a bad site for a stadium - worse than Failsworth for my money. I think the best place still has to be the Royton / Shaw end of town - how about knocking down some of those empty mills or renovating one to be an arena that celebrates Oldham's under-appreciated global heritage in the cotton industry. Imagine a ground which has one stand formed out of an old mill - that'd be unique!

Not really sure of the point you have tried to make, however, the post code argument is a dead one, as I suspect that most latics fans couldn't care less what the post code is. However, building a new football ground within three miles of the richest club in the world, outside of Oldham, in an area where we have virtually no support is lunacy.

alexandra site could be very workable dependant on the correct planning criterea,and also incorporating other things into the development to subsidise the club,there still isnt a cinema or other attractions in oldham.

could the old warehouse be knocked down..i doubt it its listed.can it be made into something..possibly,but with such an old decaying building would cost a lot of money...

are you going to get people coming to that area of town for conferencing and a hotel etc....highly unlikely i think.

ferney fields is still an option,or should be an option it was big enough once and hasnt been built on.

also not sure of actual size but south chad school butterworth lane is closing,moving to the acadamy on broadway

also hollinwood where ferranti used to be,or round the back of the mirror printing plant next to railway....all possibilities

Once again-we can come up with all the alternative sites we want, but unless I'm missing something, the club has indicated that it's Failsworth or nothing.

I dont understand why the council dont let the club build on clayton fields & then move the playing fields up to where BP currently is now. Then we would not have the problem of moving far away (eg. Failsworth, Alexandra Retail Park etc) I think this idea was preposed as the "Stadium 2000" idea if i'm not mistaken.

The fact it's not council land and was left by Ida Clayton for the people of Oldham might be part of it.

Really?

Seems obvious to me - where are the people who would come to a shaw stadium going to come from? surely anyone who lives that side is likely to be going to latics if they wanted to - it's the nearest club to shaw.

A few people from shaw might stop going, but there's trains, buses and broadway/manchester road all giving the f/w site easier access. Shaw woiuld be hellish to get to by road. As would coal pit lane, breeze hill, and even park road.

The fact it's not council land and was left by Ida Clayton for the people of Oldham might be part of it.

Senor, on a point of gender accuracy, it was Ina Clayton not Ida :gorgeous: .

When I worked for Oldham Council in 1962 I took the document to Ina's office on Crossbank Street for his signature. He gave me a block of Callard & Bowser toffee for my efforts - the only time I was ever given anything in 43 years' local government service. :) Little did I know what impact that document would have on OAFC's future development and what grounds maintenance costs the 'gift' of the land would cost Oldham's Council Tax payers in perpetuity.

By winning its Appeal in the Court of Appeal in 1992, it was established that the Council, as Trustee of the land, could sell the original land for development and provide with the proceeds alternative land for the same purpose of playing fields.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/law-r...92-1541100.html

At the time, it seemed that the rredevelopment of Clayton Playing Fields would go ahead, including the provision of a Marks & Spencer store. However, the dog-walkers won the day and it was the grant of 'Town Green' status for the Clayton Playing Fields, which stopped the development taking place.

To be honest, I am getting severely bored of people listing every place they can think of that doesn't have houses or industrial buildings on it (nothing particular against you Ed, just using your point for illustration). You'd imagine that Mr Corney had just rode into town, asked here he could find a good plot of land to raise some cattle and thrown a bag of coins to the first guy to suggest something. Points to consider:

Many of these places are brownfield sites. Many brownfield sites are such for good reason, like they aren't fit for building on

The council owns a lot of the relevant land and/or would have a blocking interest in the development. If they are actually interested in working with us, maybe that's a hinter?

Things that seem good (like the listed building in one site) COULD possibly be good - but are more likely to be a right pain in the arse

We all know some areas better than others, but it's pure guesswork about ANY of the costs - relative land prices, relative building costs. relative infrastructure cpsts to get it through.

Maybe, just maybe, most or all of the options that are being proposes have been considered.

Q) Would an Oldham based property developer fail to spot a great big plot of land ripe for building without any serious planning problems? I would hope Ian Hill would have tarmaced them years ago, he will most likely know why they haven't been done yet.

Maybe, just maybe, most or all of the options that are being proposes have been considered.

That's it then, innit? I'm feeling a bit Auden-esque.

Failsworth it is. Hurrah! The King is dead! Long live the King!

I know its controversial but to some Failsworth is no better. Its Oldham by millimetres and keeps being ignored. If you look hard enough 2/3 of boundary of site is in Manchester.

2/3 of the site is in Manchester, is that why over half of the site is being provided by Oldham Council???

alexandra site could be very workable

no it couldn't.....has anyone actually thought about the reason why it's sat half empty in a half arsed condition? well if you knew that, you'd know why it's a complete starter - and thats before I even mention that it's not even 15 acres, let alone the 30 acres Corney said we needed at the forum. <_<

That's it then, innit? I'm feeling a bit Auden-esque.

Failsworth it is. Hurrah! The King is dead! Long live the King!

Given that the Council will have been party to most of the relevant discussion, you will get the detail of why certain areas have fallen through from Godot sooner than you will get it out of anyone Auden knows. It's a large project involving various political and private players. There will never, ever, ever be a full listing of why such and such a thing didn't happen.It's the world we live in.

no it couldn't.....has anyone actually thought about the reason why it's sat half empty in a half arsed condition? well if you knew that, you'd know why it's a complete starter - and thats before I even mention that it's not even 15 acres, let alone the 30 acres Corney said we needed at the forum. <_<

A football stadium and some profit making facility or 2, plus parking, only requires 30 acres if your going to surround it with 3 or 4 footy pitches as well. That plan was dreamt up because that's what the Failsworth site offers.

A town centre site like Alexandra Retail Park offers the chance for Latics to build what the town is crying out for and it doesn't need 30 acres, ie. some indoor leisure facilities; bowling alley, cinema, laser quest etc etc. Kids will get used to going to the Latics for their entertainment.

The site already has excellent transport links as well as a multi story car park on its doorstep..

Aah another fairly substanial thread on people not wanting to move to Failsworth. Personally I think it says almost as much about the poster as it does about their arguments (valid or not). Not being a fully fledged Oldhamer I'm not fully sure where a lot of these places are- my trips to Oldham tend to be to BP or occassionally the Tesco that's about it. But from my understanding people are listing any random site which seems to have empty land on it or 'supposedly' easy buy-able land/buildings which can then be knocked down. One site that seems to be mentioned is something to do with Bensons for beds. Now rumour has it I went to school with their lad and let me tell you whatever you think their site is worth you can double it- buying property and then demolishing it is bloody expensive and time consuming- for a start you have to make sure that it is safe to do so and that is not protected. Its not a metter of having the FYC turn up in their black coats and baseball bats (which strangley enough they don't know a thing about baseball- apologies to whoever mentioned this in a different thread) and knocking it down. It probably costs as much as the land to knock it down again- plus you have to factor in the fact that land which has something on it is more expensive than just plain old land.

I get the impression (just by virtue they can afford to loose around a million pounds a year on a football club they didn't like until they bought it) that TTA know a thing or two more about business than almost everyone who posts on here. They will have worked out which sites are viable and for what reason. They are discussing the matter with poeple who know a thing or two about property in Oldham. If TTA say this is the best site then it probably is. Have you considered that the apathetic of Oldham have been given more than enough goes at coming to watch their town team and because they couldn't get off their behinds enough that the club has almost been forced to relocate. I'm guessing the proposed site in Failsworth whilst easily accessible to Oldham and Manchester isn't that easily accessible to BP- so instead of stagnating TTA have decided that a move will give the apathetic of Failsworth a chance to support their local team, I would guess that Failsworth doesn't empty when Citeh are at home because that's where everyone goes. Yes its going to be a right pain in the ass to go to Failsworth as opposed to BP (or any other site) but that's only because the person posting lives so close to that site. For a decent percentage getting to Failsworth is going to be easier/ or close enough that really when you think about it makes no difference than every other site mentioned. These people are Oldham fans too- does there opinion not matter?

As far as I'm concerned moving to Failsworth makes not a great deal of difference to me compared to BP (for the record BP is more preferable but not by a lot) but its a damn site preferable than any site actually in Oldham, Shaw, Breeze Hill, Chadderton, Ashton or anywhere else that gets mentioned just because poster X lives round the corner and thinks it would be a nice idea not to have to travel that far to go watch Oldham. If you like Oldham so much it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference where the team is based (provided its not 50 miles away- or however far MK is from the Tooting area), people go to away games all the time and they are a lot further away (unless you are an exile/or we play a very local team) than a move from one side of Oldham to the other (and its not that far). Yes it might be closer to Citeh but its also closer to Manchester- which means its closer for 99% of the people who might go watch Oldham (but don't already- including a whole bunch of people who though being football fans don't watch thier own team because they are away at uni). Dundee and Dundee United are 400 yds apart, Liverpool and Everton are 1 mile apart, both seem to have no problem with the other being so close (the only people it matters to are the coppers because they don't want to have to police two games so close). Yes the football pitches that are going to be used are close to Sports City but that doesn't mean that charging the right amount won't mean they won't be in use as often as possible (people may actually prefer it- I'm sure United fans would rather play football on a pitch associated with little old Oldham than one associated with Citeh).

The only problem I have with the move to Failsworth (aside from all those people moaning about little details) is that I'm not sure that moving is actually the right thing and that maybe we won't be better off developing BP (like the original plan). If the plans for Failsworth are not spot on it could be the worse thing to happen to the football club- not because its in Failsworth but because we will have spent money in order to save money but we are still loosing the same amount of money- primarily because we have a big expanse of land that gets used 50 times a year if we are lucky. This is what makes me dubious, and actually if the plans aren't right Oldham could be playing in my back garden for all the good it would make- no matter where Oldham are playing in 20 years time.

Aah another fairly substanial thread on people not wanting to move to Failsworth. Personally I think it says almost as much about the poster as it does about their arguments (valid or not). Not being a fully fledged Oldhamer I'm not fully sure where a lot of these places are- my trips to Oldham tend to be to BP or occassionally the Tesco that's about it. But from my understanding people are listing any random site which seems to have empty land on it or 'supposedly' easy buy-able land/buildings which can then be knocked down. One site that seems to be mentioned is something to do with Bensons for beds. Now rumour has it I went to school with their lad and let me tell you whatever you think their site is worth you can double it- buying property and then demolishing it is bloody expensive and time consuming- for a start you have to make sure that it is safe to do so and that is not protected. Its not a metter of having the FYC turn up in their black coats and baseball bats (which strangley enough they don't know a thing about baseball- apologies to whoever mentioned this in a different thread) and knocking it down. It probably costs as much as the land to knock it down again- plus you have to factor in the fact that land which has something on it is more expensive than just plain old land.

I get the impression (just by virtue they can afford to loose around a million pounds a year on a football club they didn't like until they bought it) that TTA know a thing or two more about business than almost everyone who posts on here. They will have worked out which sites are viable and for what reason. They are discussing the matter with poeple who know a thing or two about property in Oldham. If TTA say this is the best site then it probably is. Have you considered that the apathetic of Oldham have been given more than enough goes at coming to watch their town team and because they couldn't get off their behinds enough that the club has almost been forced to relocate. I'm guessing the proposed site in Failsworth whilst easily accessible to Oldham and Manchester isn't that easily accessible to BP- so instead of stagnating TTA have decided that a move will give the apathetic of Failsworth a chance to support their local team, I would guess that Failsworth doesn't empty when Citeh are at home because that's where everyone goes. Yes its going to be a right pain in the ass to go to Failsworth as opposed to BP (or any other site) but that's only because the person posting lives so close to that site. For a decent percentage getting to Failsworth is going to be easier/ or close enough that really when you think about it makes no difference than every other site mentioned. These people are Oldham fans too- does there opinion not matter?

As far as I'm concerned moving to Failsworth makes not a great deal of difference to me compared to BP (for the record BP is more preferable but not by a lot) but its a damn site preferable than any site actually in Oldham, Shaw, Breeze Hill, Chadderton, Ashton or anywhere else that gets mentioned just because poster X lives round the corner and thinks it would be a nice idea not to have to travel that far to go watch Oldham. If you like Oldham so much it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference where the team is based (provided its not 50 miles away- or however far MK is from the Tooting area), people go to away games all the time and they are a lot further away (unless you are an exile/or we play a very local team) than a move from one side of Oldham to the other (and its not that far). Yes it might be closer to Citeh but its also closer to Manchester- which means its closer for 99% of the people who might go watch Oldham (but don't already- including a whole bunch of people who though being football fans don't watch thier own team because they are away at uni). Dundee and Dundee United are 400 yds apart, Liverpool and Everton are 1 mile apart, both seem to have no problem with the other being so close (the only people it matters to are the coppers because they don't want to have to police two games so close). Yes the football pitches that are going to be used are close to Sports City but that doesn't mean that charging the right amount won't mean they won't be in use as often as possible (people may actually prefer it- I'm sure United fans would rather play football on a pitch associated with little old Oldham than one associated with Citeh).

The only problem I have with the move to Failsworth (aside from all those people moaning about little details) is that I'm not sure that moving is actually the right thing and that maybe we won't be better off developing BP (like the original plan). If the plans for Failsworth are not spot on it could be the worse thing to happen to the football club- not because its in Failsworth but because we will have spent money in order to save money but we are still loosing the same amount of money- primarily because we have a big expanse of land that gets used 50 times a year if we are lucky. This is what makes me dubious, and actually if the plans aren't right Oldham could be playing in my back garden for all the good it would make- no matter where Oldham are playing in 20 years time.

Again, this post makes two basic mistaken assumptions.

The first is that Latics get low crowds due to the apathy of the Oldham public towards the club. Yet if you compare us to any other club from a similar place to Oldham, or any smallish club from any unfashionable town, you'll find that their attendances dipped to the level of those that we currently get at BP whenever they found themselves struggling to arrest ongoing decline in the way that OAFC has done of the past decade and a half. No club significantly boosts its attenances long-term unless matters improve on the pitch to the point where they bring a certain amount of success to the club. Moving stadiums will make no long-term difference to attendances unless the club achieves a few things. If we move to Failsworth and stagnation or decline continues on the pitch, crowds will almost certainly dip further. There might be many good reasons for leaving BP, but low crowds is not one of them.

Which brings us to the second mistaken assumption-that we are likely to attract new fans by moving. Why? It isn't that the residents of Failsworth flock en masse to COMS whenever City are at home, but that they generally come from a tradition of supporting one or other of the Manchester clubs, with their attitudes towards Latics ranging from condescendingly indulgent to overtly hostile. No new stadium will alter this fact, even if some people turn up initially out of curiosity, particularly if the football on offer is poor. Even in the best of situations-say we play good football and gain automatic promotion (something that the proposed capacity suggests is not a serious aim), few people who come from generations of United and City fans are likely to permanently switch allegiances. I do know of supporters of the Manchester clubs who switched to watching Latics more than their own clubs during the early nineties, but almost all of them drifted away when we slipped back into obscurity. Why would it be any different in future, particularly given the unlikelihood of a similar level of success?

I see no evidence that Failsworth (or anywhere else) is full of neutral football fans just itching for a local team to support. Anybody with Latics sympathies can easily get to BP already.