Proposed site of new ground

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it has been stated as fact..that it will be built fully expandable for future development.

hardly something which would go along your lines of permanant lower division football.

once again you have sucessfully hijacked another thread with the mind numbing drivel you perpetually beat from your one song drum

no wonder people are getting fed up with this board.well done crp,way to go...

Claiming that something might happen at some vague point in the future is not staing anything as fact.

Have you ever thought that those of you who come across as credulous little children make me fed up, sunshine?

To be fair a number of the points you make stand up to scrutiny particularly when you refer to what could have been done in the premier league and the years immediately following this. I know there were some grand plans and actually don't think the club expected to be knowcked back on the Clayton fields expansion and had no plan b to raise the necessary finance to compete at that level.

To be fair when I grew up watching latics we were a Div 2 team that tended to struggle for much of the season but somehow end up in mid-table by the end of it. Maybe down to indoctrination this is where I see our spiritual home. At the moment the premier league seems a step to far. I also think that that league and all the similar divisions Europe wide will eventually evolve/burn themselves out as the possibilities of a G14 European League get closer by the season. Where national football goes from there I'm not sure, it depends on the ability of the remainder to deliver a product that stands up to the scrutiny of the fickle fan and whether he will follow his local side or feels more connected with English representitives in a federal league.

Maybe this confirms me as small time in attitude(I am not saying this was directed at me btw)but old money Div 2 is where I see us.

I don't dispute that 12,000 is on the small side and to be fair am not close enough to the project or details to know whether that could be expanded now as with some luck maybe and good management we could get a league higher. We know League 1 is mediocre so you would hope eventually we could move out of it in the right direction.

Regarding the facilities, I think you would be surprised at the number of players that do care about this, Certainly a number of the guys I know talk about this, though the quality of the pitch and training facilities tend to be in my experience more important than the size of the changing rooms or whether there are power showers.

Also having played a little, admittedly at lower levels I can say from my experience, the adrenalin that flows when running out somewhere like Rushden or Burton rather Bromsgrove or Chasetown can make a big difference to your performance on the day

I would be very happy with the club being established again in old money Division Two. I just don't think the club any longer has any serious intentions of getting there, let alone staying there, and that this is what lies behind the proposal for a very small stadium.

Find 'em if you want. They're in my posting record.

Hah, how can I find what might not exist.

You say you said those things, you find the stuff and link it.

Facts required; put up or shut up.

Can anyone tell me if these 9 pages are worth reading, or is it the same thing as the last 1000+ times?

Well, you can probbaly skip all mine and corp's stuff - he vaccilates like the wind blows through trees, claiming we might never get owners of the quality of TTA at one point, then claiming they are defeatist and want stagnation at another point. Of course this means he can always claim to have got things right, having stood in more than one camp;

"I'm aware that should the worst happen football might be the last thing on the minds of most of us-I'm simply focusing on what this means for the future of the club. Would TTA stick around with no prospect of developing the stadium and land, for instance? Would there be any chance of a buyer for the club anywhere near as good as they've been? Or any buyer at all?"

"as good as they've been", go on corp, claim it's all relaitive.

Hey ho. Over and out.

The only problem with the Ashton argument is that the Ashton supporters already support someone else, and we don't know if they will change their allegience to Oldham.

So do the Failswathians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What, do u think theyre all non football suporters just waiting for someone to build a stadium in their backyard so they can finally see what all the football fuss is about?

Oh hang on, didnt City already do that?

So do the Failswathians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What, do u think theyre all non football suporters just waiting for someone to build a stadium in their backyard so they can finally see what all the football fuss is about?

Oh hang on, didnt City already do that?

Hang on a minute. Is everyone missing out on the fact that the Failsworth site is by far the better site to get access to from Manchester. So the scope for attracting new fans is miles bigger than somewhere like Ashton. This means the club can market in places like Salford, Prestwich, Cheetham Hill because it's only a ten minute tram ride from Manchester Victoria.

It isn't just the Failsworth residents the club should hope to be attractive to.

Hang on a minute. Is everyone missing out on the fact that the Failsworth site is by far the better site to get access to from Manchester. So the scope for attracting new fans is miles bigger than somewhere like Ashton. This means the club can market in places like Salford, Prestwich, Cheetham Hill because it's only a ten minute tram ride from Manchester Victoria.

It isn't just the Failsworth residents the club should hope to be attractive to.

We've never marketed it to the people of Oldham so we're not going to do it anwhere else. It really made me laugh when Hardy said at the forum that moving to Failsworth would give us a new area of fans to target. Why the hell haven't we been targetting them for the last 20 years or so then. After all, it is apparently part of Oldham.

The marketing strategy in Failsworth would simply be 'plonk a new ground there, and hopefully some new people will come along.' Unless there's a fundamental change in the way the club is run from top to bottom, it won't matter where the new ground is or what these supposed 'additional revenue streams' are. We'll just struggle on regardless.

I can only see being closer to Manchester as a bonus really if it is used correctly. Ten minutes from the city centre may make us more attractive to players to. Especially foriegn ones. Of course it will be up to the powers that be to sell the club to new fans, players for it to work.

I dont believe that any of our current support will not go because its moving 4 miles down the road closer to Manchester. We are down to our hardcore of followers. Hardcore fans will not be put off by a 4 mile difference to the new ground.

Why don't we just close Oldham down altogether, give up and start again in Failsworth, because it has better transport links to Manchester? Thats as ridiculous as some of the arguments on here to justify the move.

A Manc is never going to convert to Latics, because he can get the bus/train directly to the new ground. Man City will be just down the road and is virtually the same price to watch a far better standard of football. Building a ground directly next to them is absolute insanity and defies any kind of logic for a sustainable long term future.

Wrong location. Wrong size. Wrong for latics.

We've never marketed it to the people of Oldham so we're not going to do it anwhere else. It really made me laugh when Hardy said at the forum that moving to Failsworth would give us a new area of fans to target. Why the hell haven't we been targetting them for the last 20 years or so then. After all, it is apparently part of Oldham.

The marketing strategy in Failsworth would simply be 'plonk a new ground there, and hopefully some new people will come along.' Unless there's a fundamental change in the way the club is run from top to bottom, it won't matter where the new ground is or what these supposed 'additional revenue streams' are. We'll just struggle on regardless.

Just because we haven't in the past doesn't mean we won't in the future. I think the current state of BP makes it difficult to plug as an enjoyable day out anyway. Still, you're perfectly right in that the club needs a dedicated marketing manager, to make it his job to ensure we have 1,000 extra bums on seats every home game. I don't think this is unachievable by any stretch, and will be much easier with a new ground that has about the easiest access to it than any ground in the country. Also, this wasn't my point, it was how the site is in a better position than Ashton to reach out into more areas, not how it's done.

But, the product on the pitch has to match the overall experience. This is what will bring in repeat business and turn people who only go once or twice a season into ST holders.

A Manc is never going to convert to Latics, because he can get the bus/train directly to the new ground. Man City will be just down the road and is virtually the same price to watch a far better standard of football. Building a ground directly next to them is absolute insanity and defies any kind of logic for a sustainable long term future.

Can't you think outside the box for a second Slurms? Man City last season was cheaper (some games) than Latics. But this was last season, and from this season onwards they've joined the $ club, and this will reflect in their ticketing structures in years to come. In a year or two, trust me, you won't be getting the cheapo £10 tickets at Eastlands any more.

A Manc is never going to convert to Latics? Are you that narrow minded? I never suggested for one minute the people of Chorlton-Cum-Hardy are going to flock down to Failsworth in their droves. But new people will come, because it's easy access and they'll be able to see a reasonable level of football for much cheaper than Man Citeh or Manchester United in a pleasant environment. I know a few people who pop down to either Stockport County or Altrincham to watch a game because it fills a bit of time and United or Citeh aren't on the box. Key thing here is that Altrincham and Stockport is pretty easy to access for the whole of South Manchester.

As hard as it is to believe, there are a lot of people who like football in Manchester, but don't have a hardcore affiliation to any club. At the moment at BP we have not a cat in hells chance of attracting anyone like that. But at Failsworth it turns into a possibility.

But like I said earlier, its up to the club to employ the right person to maximise on this new opportunity.

Why don't we just close Oldham down altogether, give up and start again in Failsworth, because it has better transport links to Manchester? Thats as ridiculous as some of the arguments on here to justify the move.

Shame you said this then:-

"Virtually every club who has moved to a new stadium sees its attendancies rocket (Hull, Huddersfield, Wigan, Bolton all spring to mind). For me, moving would be a better option that BP every time. "

A letter in the chron tonight from ' excelsior' makes some interesting points. A few of the sites mentioned include coal pit lane,snipe clough and lastly the Alexandra retail park.There is a suggestion of moving matalan and bensons beds into the town centre and acquiring this site.I'm not sure of the size of the plots mentioned but imo any of these would be favourable as opposed to moving to failsworth.Anyone got any thoughts or insight into these suggestions?

Maybe Latics, or even Oldham Council, should comment on why some other locations in the borough are not suitable?

:huh:

not read all posts because couldnt be arsed but for all those who want more ambition and a bigger stadium than the one being proposed. (dont know whats been mentiond)

why?

is it to show ambition that we might fill it?

is so we can pay for on the off chance that we might fill it?

will it prove we are going to be in the championship soon if its bigger?

why do you want a bigger stadium?

do we go the way darlington did? great stadium which they didnt need and it helped nearley kill them.

the satdium size with chance to build and improve if we fill it often enough

as for the rest, i will wait for another day.

not read all posts because couldnt be arsed but for all those who want more ambition and a bigger stadium than the one being proposed. (dont know whats been mentiond)

why?

is it to show ambition that we might fill it?

is so we can pay for on the off chance that we might fill it?

will it prove we are going to be in the championship soon if its bigger?

why do you want a bigger stadium?

do we go the way darlington did? great stadium which they didnt need and it helped nearley kill them.

the satdium size with chance to build and improve if we fill it often enough

as for the rest, i will wait for another day.

I may be mistaken, but I think this has been done. You should have read the posts. :wink:

A 12,000 seater stadium will stigmatise us as a minnow in the minds of all which, in turn, will make it extremely difficult to become anything more. Yes, of course there is a chance that we could get a decent playing side together, make the Championship and eventually expand...but it's odds against to say the least.

Hah, how can I find what might not exist.

You say you said those things, you find the stuff and link it.

Facts required; put up or shut up.

I'm not going through my own posting history to please an obsessive pedant like you. You're the one who's questioned what I've claimed I predicted; you find the posts in question.

Now go to it, Fido.