Relegation material....

That's the key bit at the moment.

And rummy has a point too... they did seem to have more fight, possibly because they'd been at the club more than 5 minutes.

Here you go:

2nd September 2000, Oldham 0-1 Notts County

Oldham: Kelly, Garnett, Duxbury, Rickers (Dudley 52 ), Scott McNiven, Tipton, Allott (Boshell 69), Innes, Adams, Jones (Hotte 52 ), Holt.

Subs not used: Miskelly, Whitehall.

One or two star names but in the very twilight of their careers, backed up by kids and Division 4 players. You're not honestly going to tell me that was a better eleven than last night are you?

Back then, we really were run on a shoestring budget, where we couldn't afford fees for anyone and we really were scraping the bottom of the barrel when it came to new signings. Now we are positively rich in comparison to back then. And yet I don't remember expectations being any different than they are now, just the expectation that players should give their all through effort, application and dedication. Give me Gary Kelly and and Alf Garnett above a Brill and Hazell anytime.

In many ways, the team that played last night were inferior to the team highlighted of 2000.

If nothing else though, this proves that Andy Ritchie was a miracle worker at latics and deserves far more recognition for the job he did than what he received in some quarters.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter nonsense.

There is far more experience and ability in this squad than we had for years from the late 90s to the M**re days.

Which is what makes a performance like last night's all the more frustrating.

[/quote

Agreed, the days of Thome, Reid, Garnett and Rickers under Stitch were darker in terms of the quality available. Missed last night so cant comment. Cant see anything above mid to lower table.

Thing is, why are we signing the players Huddersfield even released and didn't want to keep?

somethings not right there for me, bet they are loving it!

He is buying what his budget will allow him

cast offs and league 2 players, you cant blame Penney

Slurms, putting the teams into the context of circumstances at the time you're right of course. And yes I agree Stitch deserves far more credit than he ever got.

Expectations of the players aren't much different, in terms of effort and so on, but expectations of the team are... that's partly what creates the pressure on today's squad having put in a performance as bad as that.

I still believe the squad of players Penney has put together is capable of at least a respectable midtable/top half position. But they need to get last night and Tuesday out of their system quickly and start working together, hard. Again, I believe Penney has the ability to get them doing that. Barring last night, there have been plenty of signs of quality in the team's performances so far ... they now need to develop that to stop making the mistakes at the back and stop missing the chances up front.

bringing the right cast offs in is alot different! even try confrence 'unheard of' players!

and what is a 'right' cast off? they are cast offs in the first place because they are not good enough

if players in the conference are good enough for league 1 and beyond they will command a fee - which we havent got

or if you are talking about unheard of players, can you imagine the abuse he would get if they dont turn out?

People would be saying 'why has he brought these non league no hopers in'? 'why didnt he get league 1 cast offs, or decent league 2 players' - which is what hes done.

What he has done is with what budget we had blown it all on an oversized squad of garbage & got rid of some of the players we now look like we so dearly miss (Hughes, Eardley and especially Allott)! Look at the amount of players we have out on loan or languishing in the ressies... or the bunch of no hopers we signed on 1-2 months contracts who have since left... Buying cast offs and league 2 players and not utilising the loan market effectivley = relegation.

What he has done is with what budget we had blown it all on an oversized squad of garbage & got rid of some of the players we now look like we so dearly miss (Hughes, Eardley and especially Allott)! Look at the amount of players we have out on loan or languishing in the ressies... or the bunch of no hopers we signed on 1-2 months contracts who have since left... Buying cast offs and league 2 players and not utilising the loan market effectivley = relegation.

Do you really think getting rid of Hughes and Eardley was down to him, And we're missing Allott?

Jesus.

Yeah with Allott in the side we would be doing so much better, just like last season :huh:

I dont think he really had much choice on Hughes and Eardley

We've had a slow start to the season. We've been unlucky with injuries and a lot of players need a kick up the arse (not literally, maybe that's why we've got 3 players out with sacro-iliac joint problems). We'll play a lot better than we did last night when we've got Taylor, Jacobsen etc fit and the squad's more settled - and i know 'they need time to gel' isn't really an excuse in September but it is still a team in transition. We will finish above Tranmere, and while this in itself isn't enough to guarantee safety,i'm still confident we'll comfortably finish mid-table.

He is buying what his budget will allow him

cast offs and league 2 players, you cant blame Penney

Some of his players didn't show much appetite for a battle last night, if that carries on fans will desert in their droves,

surely the last thing TTA want ?

Edited by BP1960

Whilst it is early on in the season and I think we will get better as the season gets older I'm not worried about relegation at all (not for the next 4 onths at least anyway).

Why is this- is it because Oldham are that good- not on the results we aren't. Is it because we will get better (we probably couldn't get a lot worse)- no.

Its because in this league 4 teams go down and looking at the table I think at least 6 teams- Stockport, Tranmere, Wycombe, Yeovil, Exeter and Carlisle will finish below us. Included into that you've got Hartlepool- who will struggle, Brighton who are in a worse position than us, Southampton, who whilst being a good team have a brand new team and haven't got off to a lightening start and have to make 10 points up on every one else and Gillingham who have 1 good player- Jackson who could well be sold if a good offer comes in for him (if Leeds sell Beckford I think he'd be the player they'd get to replace him, and some Championship clubs have definately been sniffing around), plus it only takes one twist the wrong way and he's out for a while.

That's 9 teams plus the likes of Walsall, Leyton Orient, Brentford and Bristol Rovers who are going to be mid-table and who we will be amongst come the end of the season. We will NOT go down this year but in many ways that's because in this league the poor are very poor and we just are not that poor. Next season, however, if things don't improve (as I expect they might) could be a different story.

This is the worst team I've ever seen in 28 years of going to BP. We've made some other poor starts

over the last 10 seasons and only got out of jail on the last game of the season. It is too early to

press the panic button and I think the TTA will sit tight until about a third of the season has gone. If

we are bottom four by the time FA Cup 1st round comes round and we get an overdue humbling by

a non league team then I think it will be curtains for DP. Currently I see a team of strangers out on

the pitch. Only the injuries and recent illnesses give DP a get out of jail card. When he has his first

choice team available then it will be judgement time. That should be about a month away and if things

look no better by mid November then relegation or and change of manager looms.

K.

Have you thought about the possibility that the club is deliberately being run down in preparation for life in the fourth division? It would, after all, fit in nicely with the little stadium project. It could be why the team has been filled with fourth division players.

Imagine it-a new shiny (if tiny) stadium and the semblance of another 'promotion push' (with the remaining fans blinding themselves to the fact that its now being done in a lower division still), and if we do, by some miracle, pull it off, the illusion of a nice legacy for TTA will have been created: little Latics are on the rise again.

I don't know if this is the thinking, but if it was, I think some of the people will buy it. Don't you?

Yeah with Allott in the side we would be doing so much better, just like last season :huh:

I dont think he really had much choice on Hughes and Eardley

People seem to forget some of the performances Allott put in last in season, at least with him you got 100% effort and passion. Same with Warne, both not the best footballers but at least you couldnt comment on their effort. If the team had half of their work ethic we would be in a better position that what we are in.

I hate to see Oldham lose but if the effort and passion is their its a lot more bearable than that garbage last night!! Im not saying he did have a choice on Eardley and Hughes but with money the money saved/earned we could of done a lot better thant spooning it on some of the players we have!

People seem to forget some of the performances Allott put in last in season, at least with him you got 100% effort and passion. Same with Warne, both not the best footballers but at least you couldnt comment on their effort. If the team had half of their work ethic we would be in a better position that what we are in.

I hate to see Oldham lose but if the effort and passion is their its a lot more bearable than that garbage last night!! Im not saying he did have a choice on Eardley and Hughes but with money the money saved/earned we could of done a lot better thant spooning it on some of the players we have!

Anway, a lot of people keep forgetting that, 'We don't have God-given right to beat every team we meet.'

Perhaps this could replace 'Keep the Faith,' as our unofficial motto.

Or maybe, 'We are not Real Madrid,' would be better. More concise. Rolls off the tongue.

Sorry-I'll try to come up with some facile optimism for you.

I was forgetting how many grown men cotinue through life preferring lullabies.

Facile optimist! I've been called lots of things but that is a classic!

Do you really think Corney, Blitz and Hardy sat in the black tower at BP and drew up plans for the demise of the footballing superpower that is Oldham Athletic, "we'll get them relegated but not obviously, we'll surreptitiously purchase sub-prime players to ensure a slow but un-noticeable decline to the 4th division."

They'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you Scoob,...er..Corp...

We've lost a couple of matches, it happens, no need for a conspiracy.

Sorry-I'll try to come up with some facile optimism for you.

I was forgetting how many grown men cotinue through life preferring lullabies.

its not such a bad idea really, several teams have done it, and then you go straight through the division you are promoted to. peterborough did it over the last 2 seasons, and you win nearly every week thus keeping the fans happy. worth taking a step back to take 2 steps forward really. also at least we wouldnt be in this division a season longer. :wink:

I like Allot don't get me wrong, he's a good footballer (for this level) and I've met a few people that know him as a person and he sounds like a nice guy as well. However, people forget we offered Allot a deal on slightly better money (not much but I did hear it was better money) than the contract he had- he chose not to sign for us primarily because we only offered a one year deal and he wanted two years. We tried to keep him and I think if the only way we were going to keep him was to offer him a two year deal we made the right decision. Allot could easily have played well for the first half of the season and then faded badly (he is in his 30s now) and we could have been left paying for a player who is no longer catching the team for a year on decent money which quite simply doesn't make business sense.

Would I have Allot back now- yes I would but not on a two year deal. Would Allot get into the team if everyone's fit, no primarily because he is a bit lightweight compared to Worthy, who is also a bit quicker than him and he isn't as good with the ball as Furman and that's only those two- Whitts is playing quite well (but that could be because everyone else isn't) at the moment, and :censored: has been doing a very good job too.

Allot went to Tranmere not for the money for the extra security, when he found that Barnes and McAteer were unlikely to play him he asked to be realeased and he left to go to Chesterfield. Barnes and McAteer obviously didn't see much in Allot (but then again that could say more about them than Mark).

Allot and Warne would both put effort in yes, but that is how they play the game they give 100% every time primarily because they aren't super talented and it is how they end up playing a sport professionally. It gets to the point though that if you are a forward/midfielder giving a 100% isn't enough if you have no longer got the quality then you are not going to play. A team full of Allots/Warnes wouldn't conceed many but they wouldn't score many either if either of them were defenders I'd have them back in a heartbeat with their attitude but they aren't. They are good players for divison four because they have enough quality for there and they put in the effort but for this league- I'm sorry but no they'd be useful squad members (people to have around to make sure others don't get too complacent and to have on the bench) but neither would get in my first team at this moment.

Facile optimist! I've been called lots of things but that is a classic!

Do you really think Corney, Blitz and Hardy sat in the black tower at BP and drew up plans for the demise of the footballing superpower that is Oldham Athletic, "we'll get them relegated but not obviously, we'll surreptitiously purchase sub-prime players to ensure a slow but un-noticeable decline to the 4th division."

They'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you Scoob,...er..Corp...

We've lost a couple of matches, it happens, no need for a conspiracy.

I don't think anything of the kind, and nor would it be a conspiracy-it is, if you hadn't noticed, all being done out in the open, with the little stadium an integral part of it. Think about it: a new stadium is built, albeit on a smaller scale with inferior facilties than the one originally promised, but new nonetheless, and plucky little Oldham are running about in it trying to get back to 'their natural home' in the middle of the third division table. It isn't quite success, and it isn't what we were promised (but, hey, times change and economies go tits up), but it can be sold as such, and there might be 3500 or so regular buyers of the dream.

No team sets out to be relegated, but there are some clubs whose circumstances means that they don't mind all that much if it happens.

Tune in for the next thrilling installment.

its not such a bad idea really, several teams have done it, and then you go straight through the division you are promoted to. peterborough did it over the last 2 seasons, and you win nearly every week thus keeping the fans happy. worth taking a step back to take 2 steps forward really. also at least we wouldnt be in this division a season longer. :wink:

I suspect you are not being exactly serious, but all you have to do is look at our 'bounce back' record.