Relegation material....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

No quality.

Im not arsed about lack of quality, what i AM arsed about is lack of respect for the club...where is the want to win? no passion, no belief. Looks like 11 strangers out there that don't actually want to be there, and League 2 strangers at that.

Penney has the motivational skills of a suicidal chimpanzee.

Parker and Abbott both missed great first half chances. If they'd have gone in, what would we be posting on these boards tonight?

This side have created some great clear cut chances in the last 2 home games. Carry on creating and the goals will come.

That said, I am concerned.

The free-kick goal was well struck. Brill got his wall in the right place, but didn't get himself in the right place. But there was a decent swerve on the ball and our keeper's first step meant he had no chance.

The free-kick afterwards from a similar position was bizarre. I sit right behind the goal and I assure you that the defensive wall was so far to the left (as the keeper looks) it barely covered the post. The corner flag was well protected, but not the net. Fortunately they didn't score from it, but the taker had the whole net to aim at.

There was also the roll out to Greegan where Gregan came under immediate pressure and slipped. Sorry, but (1) what the hell are you giving the slowest player on the pitch the ball there when the striker was within spitting distance and (2) what the hell was Greegs doing by not hoofing it and falling over Rubes style instead?

Midfield - no width or flare. Perhaps we've been spoiled with Taylor and Smalley/Liddell.

Abbott - coming too deep so needs a striker to play off him.

Parker - right frame of mind and there's a good player there. I just don't think he's got the right attitude.

Dave Penney built this team. He has a decent managerial record at this level. But if he can't get players to be arsed enough to at least work the gonads off in defeat (and there aren't any I can think of who come out of that game with any credit) then he's got one hell of a problem. I expected mid-table this season. The quality is there to achieve that. The effort isn't. The confidence isn't. And some of the fans tonight were diabolical.

Earn your money Dave.

Edited by opinions4u

This is the worst team I've ever seen in 28 years of going to BP. We've made some other poor starts

over the last 10 seasons and only got out of jail on the last game of the season. It is too early to

press the panic button and I think the TTA will sit tight until about a third of the season has gone. If

we are bottom four by the time FA Cup 1st round comes round and we get an overdue humbling by

a non league team then I think it will be curtains for DP. Currently I see a team of strangers out on

the pitch. Only the injuries and recent illnesses give DP a get out of jail card. When he has his first

choice team available then it will be judgement time. That should be about a month away and if things

look no better by mid November then relegation or and change of manager looms.

K.

This is the worst team I've ever seen in 28 years of going to BP. We've made some other poor starts

over the last 10 seasons and only got out of jail on the last game of the season. It is too early to

press the panic button and I think the TTA will sit tight until about a third of the season has gone. If

we are bottom four by the time FA Cup 1st round comes round and we get an overdue humbling by

a non league team then I think it will be curtains for DP. Currently I see a team of strangers out on

the pitch. Only the injuries and recent illnesses give DP a get out of jail card. When he has his first

choice team available then it will be judgement time. That should be about a month away and if things

look no better by mid November then relegation or and change of manager looms.

K.

Same problems we had at the beginning of 96/97

Underperforming keeper - See Jon Hallworth

Mistake prone defence - See Redmond and Fleming

Poor Midfield - See Orlyggsson and Richardson

Lack of width and lack of end product - See Morrow and Bes

Mis-Firing Strikers - See McCarthy and Banger

Add to that a long injury list - Henry, Barlow, Snodin etc...

I'm not angry in the slightest, I've been saying since the early friendlies that we have built a fourth division team. That's where we will be playing next season simple as. I've seen two relegation teams and this is another imo. Under Ritchie we had bad starts but got out of jail when we managed to string a few results together in a poor league. This time we're up against it, the top 10 places are pretty much settled once the better teams get going - that leaves the other teams scrapping for the reamining 14 but any team who fails to score against three of the poorer teams in Stockport, Carlisle and Hartlepool is going to struggle and badly.

This is the worst team I've ever seen in 28 years of going to BP.

Utter nonsense.

There is far more experience and ability in this squad than we had for years from the late 90s to the M**re days.

Which is what makes a performance like last night's all the more frustrating.

Sadly I totally agree Derek, I got slagged off at the start of the season when I said that signing a team full of players that have mainly played in League 2 or the ressies at higher up clubs would see ourselves in League 2...... and my worst fears seem to be coming true.

agree totally second division manager second division players second division here we come

Utter nonsense.

There is far more experience and ability in this squad than we had for years from the late 90s to the M**re days.

Seemed to be more fight from the team in years gone by. It's not so much ability, but the desire that's apparently vanished.

Utter nonsense.

Well the ability and experience isn't showing. Name me a worse 11 than this?

Well the ability and experience isn't showing. Name me a worse 11 than this?

That's the key bit at the moment.

And rummy has a point too... they did seem to have more fight, possibly because they'd been at the club more than 5 minutes.

Here you go:

2nd September 2000, Oldham 0-1 Notts County

Oldham: Kelly, Garnett, Duxbury, Rickers (Dudley 52 ), Scott McNiven, Tipton, Allott (Boshell 69), Innes, Adams, Jones (Hotte 52 ), Holt.

Subs not used: Miskelly, Whitehall.

One or two star names but in the very twilight of their careers, backed up by kids and Division 4 players. You're not honestly going to tell me that was a better eleven than last night are you?

Penney has a style of play, which he no doubt tried in pre season - which involved 2 wingers.

Taylor has been carrying that injury from the off therefore ineffective, smalley and purdie havent seen any action, culminating in square pegs in round holes at the moment. Shape and style shot to pieces.

Whittaker unfortunately has shown that he is not consistent/good enough to start in the centre of midfield, yet he is never a left winger, however to me, he is the only player capable of getting hold of the ball and trying to 'get things going' Our only threat last night in the 1st half, came from Parker. "nd half he is moved out to the left wing - never a left winger. Worthington shouldn't have started and Blackman should have.

Without Taylor, we lack in any quality or threat - Abbotts confidence will slip game on game, the less that is created and he will become ineffective.

Penney doesn't seem to have identified our 'weak' areas - goalkeeper, centre half, left midfield and that is a bit worrying.

However as somebody stated, had we (Parker and Abbott) taken those chances in the 1st half, a different game it would have been.

There looks to be a fine line with most teams in this league in winning and losing and we need to address these areas soon to stay on the right side of that line, otherwise confidence will drop and so will our position. We lack leaders in the side and despite Gregans ageing legs is the only player who tries to motivate his team mates.

Gregan, Taylor and Abbott are key this season - 1 has been injured, 1 is a confidence player who needs a settled partner up front and the other has a centre half at the side of him who looks absolutely shot in confidence already.

A challenging season ahead indeed!!

Utter nonsense.

Experience and ability doesn't make a team

Plenty of experience in 93/94 and 96/97...

I wouldn't necessarily disagree that this squad has more ability than those in the 90s - I couldn't as there's only about three that I would recoognise if they sat on my sofa. From what I hear though they are not as good a team