The top Latics related moments you witnessed

We can all say "Redfearn's penalty", "The great escape" or "Adams goal v Man. Utd" so lets ban those. Lets have your amusing, strange, weird ones.

4. Ormondroyd's goal on his home debut in his second spell. As he galloped through, I've rarely laughed as much in my life. When he buried it, I thought I was gonna die.

3. Having jumped over the wall onto Little Wembley, we were involved in a heated game of Wembley doubles. Then manager Joe Royle came through the gates rollicking us. We all legged it but forgot to grab the mentally handicapped lad who used to hang around with us. Royle took him home.

2. My mate Ady's mum bought him a new coat (one of those Umbro bench jackets that were big at the time). He wore it the next day at Huddersfield. It was his pride and joy. After the game we had to run to get the coach. He ran past a fence and the sleeve caught on a fence and completley tore the sleeve off.

1. A guy was stood drinking bovril in the Chaddy End in about 1988/9 I think. Willie Donachie was warming up doing shooting practice. As the guy took a drink the ball hit him full in the face. The combination of scalding bovril, a cold day and a Mitre Delta travelling at about 65mph didn't look a god one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Having jumped over the wall onto Little Wembley, we were involved in a heated game of Wembley doubles. Then manager Joe Royle came through the gates rollicking us. We all legged it but forgot to grab the mentally handicapped lad who used to hang around with us. Royle took him home.

I know you shouldn't but I laughed out loud at this one. :lol:

It sounds like a scene for Phoenix Nights! :laught16:

We can all say "Redfearn's penalty", "The great escape" or "Adams goal v Man. Utd" so lets ban those. Lets have your amusing, strange, weird ones.

4. Ormondroyd's goal on his home debut in his second spell. As he galloped through, I've rarely laughed as much in my life. When he buried it, I thought I was gonna die.

2. My mate Ady's mum bought him a new coat (one of those Umbro bench jackets that were big at the time). He wore it the next day at Huddersfield. It was his pride and joy. After the game we had to run to get the coach. He ran past a fence and the sleeve caught on a fence and completley tore the sleeve off.

1. A guy was stood drinking bovril in the Chaddy End in about 1988/9 I think. Willie Donachie was warming up doing shooting practice. As the guy took a drink the ball hit him full in the face. The combination of scalding bovril, a cold day and a Mitre Delta travelling at about 65mph didn't look a god one.

Great. Thanks - you made me smile and chuckle. e

Still one of my favourite ever latics memories was that game where they gave out free packets of fishermans friend at a home game (must have been very late 80's) - I remember every single kid under about the age of 12 in the main stand paddock having a competition as to how many packets we could eat. I got to 16. And I really, really hated them.

In fact, pretty much every memory of being sat on that front barrier in the paddocks is a good one. Just getting dumped by your dad with your mates, and then he would bugger off and just find you at the end of the game. :)

Before we had floodlights there was a "Floodlight Appeal" and money was collected at half times by supporters walking round the pitch with a sheet. Fans were encoraged to throw coins in it. Needless to say the ratio of injuries to money was quite high. An old threepenny bit thrown with power could do a nasty bit of work on somebody's head. The sheet holders were replaced at frequent intervals. Happy days.

Still one of my favourite ever latics memories was that game where they gave out free packets of fishermans friend at a home game (must have been very late 80's) - I remember every single kid under about the age of 12 in the main stand paddock having a competition as to how many packets we could eat. I got to 16. And I really, really hated them.

Be warned, that's how Paddy Kenny started out on the slippery slope!

Before we had floodlights there was a "Floodlight Appeal" and money was collected at half times by supporters walking round the pitch with a sheet. Fans were encoraged to throw coins in it. Needless to say the ratio of injuries to money was quite high. An old threepenny bit thrown with power could do a nasty bit of work on somebody's head. The sheet holders were replaced at frequent intervals. Happy days.

what year was that Pete?

In fact, pretty much every memory of being sat on that front barrier in the paddocks is a good one.

Cup game against Brighton & Hove Albion at home. January 1990. The ball is pumped down the flank for Tricky Ricky to run onto, but a Guy Branston-a-like for Brighton trots over and hoofs the ball out of touch. It smashed into one of those young lads at the front of the paddock and knocked him clean off his pedestal.

After a moments silence while they checked the boy wasn't dead all you could hear were muffled sniggers.

Mine was the great feeling stood on the terrace at Oakwell when it seemed like there was about 10,000 Tics with you in our promotion season or before we played Forest at Wembley when every Latics fan seemed to stop at the same service station on the way down, i have never seen so many happy smiley excited faces.

Cup game against Brighton & Hove Albion at home. January 1990. The ball is pumped down the flank for Tricky Ricky to run onto, but a Guy Branston-a-like for Brighton trots over and hoofs the ball out of touch. It smashed into one of those young lads at the front of the paddock and knocked him clean off his pedestal.

After a moments silence while they checked the boy wasn't dead all you could hear were muffled sniggers.

:lol:

Used to happen all the time.... you can just imagine his dad somewhere in the paddock shouting "Get up you little puff... and dont you bloody cry" ...

Watching my uncle Adie trying to take a penalty in some half time competition and completely fluffing it. He blamed it on his shoes. Now, I'm pretty certain that most people who partake in these things don't come armed with a pair of Adidas F50s.

Won Strike It Lucky and had a picture done with the youth team who'd been showing off their trophies. Went to the office to get the cheque and a few youth teamers including Trotman followed me in asking the office girl if they got an appearance fee for presenting the cheque. They were deadly serious too :lol:

Jogging to Tandle Hills with the team in pre-season training in the 50s.

Being made to go through the Chaddy End turnstile two at a time in 1959 and then having to give evidence in court in The Great Turnstile Swindle prosecution.

Waiting to see who won the toss to get behind the goal we were attacking, and changing ends at half-time at Boundary Park.

Brimelow's cough tablets and mintoes being sold around the pitch.

Seeing Stanley Matthews play at Boundary Park in a benefit game.

A lunchbox being thrown onto the pitch in the match which determined that we would be founder members of the Fourth Division, and then a bloke being arrested as he went onto the pitch to retrieve it, as he knew it was more than his life was worth to go home to his wife without it!

Winning the Ford Sporting League month after month, so that it could be publicised on "Match of the Day".

Bert Lister's six goals in the 11 -0 win against Southport on Boxing Day in the snow with the crowd smoking their Christmas cigars!

Bobby Johnstone's cheekily taken free kicks, whilst distracting the ref in conversation.

The excitement created by Alan Groves.

The many goals of Ray Haddington, Eric Gemmel, Jim Fryatt and Roger Palmer.

The spectacular goals of Ryszard Kowenicki.

Having my birthday announced on the Scoreboard at the Baseball Ground (arranged by a Derby fan) and then going on to beat Derby 1-0.

B.B.C. Radio Derby commentator at Boundary Park saying that "The Lookers Stand must be called Lookers because that's where the Oldham fans look at the pitch".

Frankie Bunn's six goals.

The victory in the League Cup against reigning champions and the then League leaders Arsenal.

The victory in thev F.A. Cup against the then League leaders Astor Villa.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre of West Ham.

Wembley Way full of Latics fans.

Meeting the great Alan Williams inside Wembley.

That huge Latics flag.

Ian Marshall's hat-trick against Wolves on the opening day of the season prior to my attending the Reading Festival.

Roger Palmer's hat-trick at Maine Road.

Fancy dress at Notts County and a "crocodile" of Blues Brothers.

444831709_378aba5b89_o.jpg

Promotion at Ipswich.

Roger Palmer's testimonial match.

The all-night vigil for tickets for the Liverpool match.

Earl Barrett's goal at Anfield making all that queuing for tickets worthwhile.

Beating Chelsea 3-0 in the first home match in the old First Division to prove that we could play on grass as well.

Brian Clough returning to the dugout in advance of his Forest team for the second half, and then standing up and showing us a three nil scoreline when Latics fans chanted to ask him for the score.

Beating Wimbledon's 'crazy gang' 6-2.

Standing in the eye of the Wiltshire White Horse for good luck and then Paul Bernard getting a last minute winner at Swindon.

Neil Adams' two late goals at Everton.

Ricky Holden diving for City at Maine Road, and then winking at Latics fans whilst still on the ground, with boos turning into laughter and applause.

Mike Milligan's flicked goal and four season's weather in the first half at Maine Road.

Passionate singing at Norwich on relegation day.

Big Kevin Francis's own goal for Birmingham at Boundary Park.

Darren Beckford's celebration with his brother through the fence at Burnden Park.

Maurice Whittle's penalty against ManUre

2254939438_434faeb741_b.jpg

Sean McCarthy's hat-trick at Notts County.

Sean McCarthy's goal at Old Trafford.

Neil Pointon's goal at Wembley and those glorious twelve minutes before THAT goal!

The penalty shoot-out at Grimsby.

Travelling with the team by coach to the stadium in Ancona.

The two 'wild women' of Ancona.

Jumping up and down for the entire match to beat the cold in Genoa.

Stuart Barlow's hat-trick at Bradford City.

Repeated victories at Maine Road.

Running the gauntlet to take a half-time penalty at Ramsey, Isle of Man and then informing the P.N.E. Fans massed behind the goal that “we're the pride of Lancashire“.

Fans mimicking the linesman in the Isle of Man:

510851652_da42d8ce70_b.jpg

Singing the Sean Gregan chippy song all through our match against P.N.E. In Douglas

Singing outside the Irish Bar in Douglas in unison with fans of other clubs and doing the actions repeatedly to these chants:

510903513_600678a858.jpg

Shamrock Rovers' fans starting the singing of Latics songs on the way back from Dundalk after the mini-bus had been stoned.

Being part of Adrian Littiejohn's and Matthew Tipton's debut goal celebration moshes.

Winning in the rain at Chesterfield and juggling the ball across the terracing.

Wigan's Roy Carroll grinning at my time-wasting ball-fumbling behind the Chaddy End goal. It takes a cheat to appreciate another!

Andy Ritchie coming into the crowd to greet Laics fans at the Scarborough v Carlisle match.

Danny Standring's 'Sharp out!' centre-spot protest, and the Magistrate saying that he had suffered so much being a Latics fan that he did not deserve additional punishment.

Andy Ritchie come home and, together with Mrs. S. and oafc_ok, I sponsored his kit for the rest of the season!

Burton Albion’s Aaron Webster being ‘arrested’ for pitch invasion after Craig Dudley’s goal for the Brewers at BP.

3477337838_f309423cb7.jpg

Front cover of 'Beyond The Boundary'.

‘Ernie for England’ and the standing ovation on his pre-season debut at Rochdale.

Happy days! :grin:

Mine was the great feeling stood on the terrace at Oakwell when it seemed like there was about 10,000 Tics with you in our promotion season or before we played Forest at Wembley when every Latics fan seemed to stop at the same service station on the way down, i have never seen so many happy smiley excited faces.

Forest fans still talk about playing football with members of Inspiral Carpets on the motorway services' car park.

Doing the konga and singing always look on the bright side of life to the Man Ure fans at Wembley until....

Frankie Bunn's six goals.

Earl Barrett's goal at Anfield making standing on the Kop worthwhile.

Neil Adams' two late goals at Everton and stamping our feet to create noise in that wooden stand but i cant help it but to remember the horrible sickening minutes silence before the game for James Bulger.

Great memories you have Diego! Enjoyed reading those.

The longer you keep the Faith, the more happy memories you have, not to mention all the unhappy ones. It's best to get them recorded before ........er.....what's it called.......

dementia sets in!