Leeds cup game 5.15pm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have emailed AH regarding keeping the leeds fans in for 15 mins after the game. He has said he will raise the issue with Police when he has further talks with them nearer the game.

On a wider issue, is there any reason (other than less people) why is it the away fans lept behind historically?

I have always thought it mroe likely that the home fans would know allth e back streets and jump the away fans.

I know it's less of an issue on a fairly open gound like our, but certainly I mean the city centre grounds with lots of street saround, or through street to get to the ground. eg liek Brentford etc.

Not a complaint just curious for a discussion.

On a wider issue, is there any reason (other than less people) why is it the away fans lept behind historically?

I have always thought it mroe likely that the home fans would know allth e back streets and jump the away fans.

I know it's less of an issue on a fairly open gound like our, but certainly I mean the city centre grounds with lots of street saround, or through street to get to the ground. eg liek Brentford etc.

I believe they always let the Burnley fans out first when they took a suspiciously large number down for their annual excursion to Rochdale, giving them enough time to seal off any safe escape routes...

I believe they always let the Burnley fans out first when they took a suspiciously large number down for their annual excursion to Rochdale, giving them enough time to seal off any safe escape routes...

Or as Rochdale put it, 'Pay day'.

Went to one of them games. I can't think of any game I've been to where away fans outnumbered home fans by so much.

Or as Rochdale put it, 'Pay day'.

Went to one of them games. I can't think of any game I've been to where away fans outnumbered home fans by so much.

I give you Wimbledon vs Forest, Selhurst Park, 2003. Over 7000 in attendance, and Mr Tulsehill counted the home fans during half time. And most of them were scummy bastards who had been bussed in from MK. I heard a few songs about Derby that day.

I always thought it was because they can't force you to stay, they can just request that you do...and it's easier to keep the away fans behind than ask all the home fans to stay. The only reason I thought this was that when we bear City at Maine Rd in '99, they kept us behind after the game but one of the gates was open so we could leave if we wanted. They just asked us to stay to clear the crowd.

I always thought it was because they can't force you to stay, they can just request that you do...and it's easier to keep the away fans behind than ask all the home fans to stay. The only reason I thought this was that when we bear City at Maine Rd in '99, they kept us behind after the game but one of the gates was open so we could leave if we wanted. They just asked us to stay to clear the crowd.

I remember that day with fondness- I think many of the Latics travelling army were happy to stay to give the Citeh fans a song to leave the ground by. I know I wasn't too perturbed about having to stay behind at Maine Road rather than trying the navigate the maze that is Moss Side in safety.

In all honesty bar the allocating all of the away end to Leeds (which wasn't purely done on police reasons) I doubt the coppers will do much to Oldham fans that day out of the ordinary- its the Leeds fans they will police more heavily and I still think a 'Bubble' campaign should be started just to really :censored: those not so famous ovine botherers off. We won't be affected but they won't be allowed in the pubs and will have to travel from a set place to BP which will annoy the :censored: out of those who live closer to BP than Leeds.

I'm finding this thread laughable, how many times have we played Leeds over the years???? Why is suddenly going to be carnage? It will be no different than any other game against Leeds, people will be drunk whatever time we play them (from both clubs!).

This all reminds me about that daft thread when we were playing Rochdale away last year with all the pubs not to go in! As I stated earlier, if you want to find trouble no doubt you can find it, if you want to take your kids and enjoy the occasion and go home in one piece this won't be a problem either.

FFS, get a grip!

Yes its so laughable isn't it. The saftey of fans.

That's why if you read the comments above, most people who usually take youngsters are not going too. That will also include my partner and I who usually take three children all under 11's with us.

Loss of revenue for the club. Yes laughable indeed.

I have been reading one or two comments on Facebook with regards to the kick off time for this game and the knock on effect of all afternoon drinking for some/both sets of fans

Has it put you off going to the game? or even bringing any kiddies with you if you usually do that is.

Do you think our attendance will decrease or increase in home fans that is.

Your thoughts guys....

I will be taking my nephew with me, he turns 9 next week. I've been dragging him along and buying season tickets for him for the last couple of years so he's had to sit through a lot of crap and these are the games that will make him want to come back (as long as we win!) He's been to Leeds away for the last two seasons and will be going again this season. We sit in the main stand and although there were a few Leeds fans in there last season there was no real trouble and doubt there will be this season. My dad always took me games like this when i was a kid and i will take my nephew to any game he wants to go to, there will be a decent atmosphere and as a kid its the games you remember and enjoy more. I've had a season ticket since the 89/90 season since i was 7 and been to on average about 60-70% of away games each season and only ever seen any serious trouble at two games, west ham away in the cup a few season ago (though it was police that seemed to be causing most of the problems not the fans) and at maine road when we beat them 2-1.

I will be taking my nephew with me, he turns 9 next week. I've been dragging him along and buying season tickets for him for the last couple of years so he's had to sit through a lot of crap and these are the games that will make him want to come back (as long as we win!) He's been to Leeds away for the last two seasons and will be going again this season. We sit in the main stand and although there were a few Leeds fans in there last season there was no real trouble and doubt there will be this season. My dad always took me games like this when i was a kid and i will take my nephew to any game he wants to go to, there will be a decent atmosphere and as a kid its the games you remember and enjoy more. I've had a season ticket since the 89/90 season since i was 7 and been to on average about 60-70% of away games each season and only ever seen any serious trouble at two games, west ham away in the cup a few season ago (though it was police that seemed to be causing most of the problems not the fans) and at maine road when we beat them 2-1.

A lot easier with one may I add.

Yes its so laughable isn't it. The saftey of fans.

That's why if you read the comments above, most people who usually take youngsters are not going too. That will also include my partner and I who usually take three children all under 11's with us.

Loss of revenue for the club. Yes laughable indeed.

Why is this game any worse than other other game against a big city club? How much serious disorder have you seen at BP in the last 15 or so years? Cardiff yes, Blackpool Playoff (debateable) and that's it.

It's people like you scaremongering that is keeping people away, and scarmongering about something this is highly unlikely to happen.

As I say, laughable.

Why is this game any worse than other other game against a big city club? How much serious disorder have you seen at BP in the last 15 or so years? Cardiff yes, Blackpool Playoff (debateable) and that's it.

It's people like you scaremongering that is keeping people away, and scarmongering about something this is highly unlikely to happen.

As I say, laughable.

How? if you knew anything about me you would know that a tinpot club like leeds united are about as frightening as my 9 year old nephew in his halloween attire.

Underdog has had a break away from the terraces for a few years due to other financial commitments, I don't originate from round here but go to the matches with her, so seeing as this will be our first full season give us a fooking break eh!!!

As I say, laughable.

Yes I scaremonger that much that I will be on my broomstick tomorow night too....ooooooo.

If you care to READ my original post, I asked if the KO time had put people off. I did not mention any scary stuff/scaremongering, I was just curious if it had. It was then other fans who posted their reasons for going not going.

Yes you are around for the right time of year aren't you ghost......if you are going to accuse me...accuse me correctly please.

Well apologies then tangerinedreams and underdog if my comments have upset you..... maybe I shouldn't have replied quoting your posts....

I was trying to make a general point that there is a lot of nonsense being talked about this game and it's kick off time. People hell bent on causing trouble will cause it whatever the kick off time, wherever the game is, it's just the way they are. For the ordinary fan, with or without children who just wants to attend one of the games of the season without mishap they will have no trouble just like any other game of the season.

Put yourself in the place of a one of our many stayaways, reading some of this things posted on here and Facebook or where ever, and it must sound like they are contemplating watching a game in Helmund Province.

Get out of your chair, get down to BP and enjoy the game.

Many thanks everyone for your thoughts.

There have been many interesting points of view with regards to the effects of a late KO time and of course it now being live over the internet and the knock on effect on attendances

Glad us latics fans have varied points of views that makes us unique

"C'mon you blues.......keep us winning and see you at the games"

Well you have obviously been to BP...all are odds on except for the Tsunami as Oldham is quite high up altitude wise and flooding won't be an option.

But hey on a positive give or take a few million years after global warming - Olham could be the captial of whats left in England and could very well host the world cup....

Bring it on...

Moving to lower-level Failsworth would blow the chance of hosting the World Cup. :pow: